You are Here:
A Deck of Skeletons. Vintage Playing Cards by Mike Willcox (KS)

Author (Read 5766 times)

A Deck of Skeletons. Vintage Playing Cards by Mike Willcox (KS)
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
A Deck of Skeletons. Vintage Playing Cards

I've worked on these for two years, as I had time between work and other projects, so I'm very excited to have a chance to make them. All of the artwork is 100% original. Since I don't have a skeleton to move around, I posed for each card myself and worked from that. I like doing things the old fashioned way when I can help it.

The cards are printed on 310gsm linen.

I have already had a few decks printed to test for print and compare card quality. They came out amazing! I will not be printing through bicycle because of high volume requirements and long production times. I want these to be in your hands before the holiday season.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:09:09 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: A Deck of Skeletons. Vintage Playing Cards by Mike Willcox (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I think skulls and skeletons are such a cliche and haven't bought any such themed decks yet.  These though I kind of like. The old and worn look is pretty well done. I'll keep an eye on this one.   Thanks for sharing.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 04:05:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The design isn't bad, though the faux aged look is getting kind of old.  At least there's a little comedy in the court card characters.

I would give the back a border to match the faces (optionally), edit the back design so it isn't a one-way back and switch out the "X" on the indices for the "10" cards with the Arabic numerals.  Few people these days like working with Roman numerals, especially when mixed with Latin letters and other Arabic numerals.

My general rule of thumb for a broad-appeal deck is: if I brought this deck to a typical neighborhood poker game with my buddies, would they use it or toss it back at me and bust out the Rider Backs?  In this case, Rider Backs it is.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:06:31 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
I really like the  indices and their layout.  Aces. Are really cool and I actually dig the parchment look for these. I am not a fan of the  little doodads on the back Corners. Look la bit like sparklers, I'm also not a fan of the skeletons. for me the skeletons distract and take away  from the old timey nautical feeling I like about the rest of the design.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I really like this deck. I agree skulls and skeletons are a bit... tired.. But I think the design here trumps that. I spoke with the creater through KS to find he is using makeplayingcards.com through virtue of not wanting to use USPCC but wasn't aware of alternatives being an artist, and not a collector. I recommended he look into EPCC or LPCC for production as I would love to own this deck from a quality printer.

I mentioned he come look at the blog and maybe pick our collective brain here about his design and printing options, so hopefully we will see him here soon...
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
switch out the "X" on the indices for the "10" cards with the Arabic numerals.  Few people these days like working with Roman numerals, especially when mixed with Latin letters and other Arabic numerals.

Hey Don, I really like the 'X' as the 10 indice. Was this used traditionally on decks?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
There is that damn skinny club again!  His transition from one side of the card to the other below is his worst card.  They could have made it better with one bottle and one map.  Notice the other hand.  What is it holding.  I do like the "X" as the ten card.   

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
switch out the "X" on the indices for the "10" cards with the Arabic numerals.  Few people these days like working with Roman numerals, especially when mixed with Latin letters and other Arabic numerals.

Hey Don, I really like the 'X' as the 10 indice. Was this used traditionally on decks?

On tarot decks, sure.  International-standard playing cards didn't develop indices until some point in the 1870s, about the same time that round corners came into use.

There is that damn skinny club again!  His transition from one side of the card to the other below is his worst card.  They could have made it better with one bottle and one map.  Notice the other hand.  What is it holding.  I do like the "X" as the ten card.   

Leave the skinny club alone - it's a French-style club.

The other hand appears to be wrapping the index finger around either the collar bone or a rib.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:01:37 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

...I'm pretty sure that's a compass.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)