New KS Deck: Mafia Wars

Author (Read 3675 times)

New KS Deck: Mafia Wars
« on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:25 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Hmm..... Now where have we seen this before?...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350770907/mafia-wars-playing-cards?ref=live

OH YEAH

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/new-ks-deck-new-york-lights/

So, essentially the new York Lights deck, except the creator didn't do a kilo of crank before he applied the Photoshop filters this time.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: New KS Deck: Mafia Wars
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have to say it, straight up - this deck sucks.  I'd rather kiss a donkey's ass than buy this deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 02:35:07 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I have to say it, straight up - this deck sucks.  I'd rather kiss a donkey's ass than buy this deck.

Ass's ass.

Oh hohohoho
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:01:26 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
When I read the title I thought this deck was going to be about the old iphone/ipod touch game. Then I realized it was just complete shit. That back design is horrible, heck, the lines of the inner border have pixels out of place.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:30:32 AM by Curt »

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Does the queen of clubs have a tumor on her shoulder or are her breasts really disfigured?

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Does the queen of clubs have a tumor on her shoulder or are her breasts really disfigured?
Or is it a third boob?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:26:35 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
It isn't bad enough to be on my white elephant gift list, but it's sooooo close.  Fail on two counts.  I will give it to the designer, if at first you don't succeed, try try again.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Why does the Queen of Clubs depict Jesus wearing lipstick?

In all seriousness, i feel bad for the designer. You can clearly see evidence of work put into this.. it's just that the art is so utterly shit. Poor guy =s
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I'm not sure why he didn't launch under Fat Panda like he did his first project.  It's a revamp so there's no shame in running the project again.  Second, why is his goal $6,500?  He's not using USPCC the same as last time and there he only had a goal of $1,000.  His last decks seem to be mostly delivered (with mixed reviews...what did people expect??).   I do wish I had ordered a copy of the deck to see the actual quality he got, my guess is that he went with a flat finish which is why people don't like it (surprisingly not because of the artwork).
I agree with Froggo, the designer spent some serious time on this deck.  But if you build a house with cardboard, expect that it'll fall over in the rain.  A poor analogy to say that he needs better material to build a deck with, he needs to take the concept and have the art reworked to the quality currently on KS. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:09:16 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
From the creator:

"To all my backers,
For all of you have backed the New York Lights Deck, the experimental arstyle; i would like to let you guys know we have launched the finished regular version called Mafia Wars. In collaboration with sourplanet, Mafia Wars is completely redone and recolored, i think you guys might enjoy it so check it out."

NYL was an experiment, this is the finished version. A very limited collector's set...I'm thinking thousands of dollars for each version set!

;-))

Alex, I have the first version. Think "Everything's a Dollar!" quality, and you will only be 50 cents too high.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:11:36 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
When I read the title I thought this deck was going to be about the old iphone/ipod touch game. Then I realized it was just complete shit. That back design is horrible, heck, the lines of the inner border have pixels out of place.

I also thought it was going to about the game. If it was based on that artwork it would probably be much more successful.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
From the creator:

"To all my backers,
For all of you have backed the New York Lights Deck, the experimental arstyle; i would like to let you guys know we have launched the finished regular version called Mafia Wars. In collaboration with sourplanet, Mafia Wars is completely redone and recolored, i think you guys might enjoy it so check it out."

NYL was an experiment, this is the finished version. A very limited collector's set...I'm thinking thousands of dollars for each version set!

;-))

Alex, I have the first version. Think "Everything's a Dollar!" quality, and you will only be 50 cents too high.

I would have thought more like a dollar too high...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/