You are Here:
Galvanic Comic Book Series

Author (Read 727 times)

Galvanic Comic Book Series
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

I wanted to show you a project of mine that's currently in development. I've always wanted to break into the comic book scene and recently took the initiative to do so.

What was supposed to be an animated short film, turned out to be overwhelming for one person to handle. These films consist of modeling, texturing, rigging, lighting, rendering, compositing, editing etc etc. So rather than throwing out my designs I turned to one of my closed passions and hobbies: Playing Cards.

Now I want to push myself further. This story has been in my head for years and want to tell everyone I could. So I thought why not bring everything into a comic book series?

Below is the start of the first issue in the run.

Plot:
Our world has ended and another begins.
Robotic intelligence has been created to survive the human apocalypse.
Their purpose: to study earth and our universe in ways we could have never imagined.
Galvanics are a race all on its own and consist of individual thought and
feelings. They have a core power source in their chest which is what gives them life. Without it being present, their life is terminated.
However, Galvanics aren't the only race that survived. Now it's a race to be the last ones standing and protect the Galvanic cores.

I would love to one day have this has a monthly series and to be in print.
It will consist of cgi art and everything is done by me. This includes the 3d models, rendering, texturing, touch ups, outlines, lettering, lighting and story.

Well what do you guys think?
I would love honest feedback to help me out.
Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this!

Sean Whelan
3D Artist
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

Re: Galvanic Comic Book Series
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »

shz

• True Member
  • Image credit blazingtalent.deviantart.com
Looks really neat.  :)

The only constructive criticism I could think of is the illustration. It looks a little too "computerized" in my opinion (2nd picture).  Making it look a little more raw or rustic could help I guess.

Still, great idea. You should really go for it. ;)
"It's like you're invisible... just the back of an 'ead"

MAJOR brownie points if you get it.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For print, computer-graphic comic book pages have never really looked all that good.  On the web, on the other hand...

I'd say to do what a lot of young, fledgling artists do - create the series first as a web comic, and when you've gathered enough critical mass, start making graphic novel collections of the entire thing, working from start to finish.  Updates would need to come out perhaps two to five days a week - web comics that develop too slowly don't hold one's interest long enough to survive.  An update is as little as a single page or a strip, if you choose the strip route, making them nice tidy bite-sized chunks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:48:46 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be going back over the first 2 pages and redoing them. Here is the current page I'm up too:
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:08:29 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
You need to hire a writer. :P

I can dig that art style. Still needs a bit of work but no great comic was made in a week.

Also, no Comic Sans plz
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:06:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be going back over the first 2 pages and redoing them. Here is the current page I'm up too:

Agreed with Alex - and you should work on making the Galvanic look like it's a real-world object.  It appears to lack the necessary hardware to properly function, and it looks showroom-clean after being in a flaming fireball.  One of the biggest things that people found appealing about Star Wars when it was first introduced was that it was perhaps one of the few movies of the time that actually showed a used, lived-in universe - until then, most sci-fi took place in environments that looked sterile as an operating room.  Shabby chic is the way to go, I think.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:17:07 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Agreed with Alex - and you should work on making the Galvanic look like it's a real-world object.  It appears to lack the necessary hardware to properly function, and it looks showroom-clean after being in a flaming fireball.  One of the biggest things that people found appealing about Star Wars when it was first introduced was that it was perhaps one of the few movies of the time that actually showed a used, lived-in universe - until then, most sci-fi took place in environments that looked sterile as an operating room.  Shabby chic is the way to go, I think.

To be fair I think that's a result of 3D rendering. Putting a pebble on the side walk isn't as simple as taking a black pencil and making a pebble-shaped squiggle. It has to be shaped, rendered, texturized, etc.

Of course, professionals in this field don't make each individual detail from scratch. For example, you could have a few different kinds of pebbles, and then when you're done with the basics, go in and just brush them on, for each comic.
Forum Founder.