You are Here:
The Curator deck - transformation deck, hand-cut images

Author (Read 24085 times)

Re: New transformation deck due to Kickstart next year
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Right, the eight of clubs! I thought it was gonna be the five of clubs... Can you guys see that one? ::)

I really wish I could show everyone these cards in person. Only my family and a handful of friends have seen them. For the 5 of clubs, the paper is cut so thin for the strings that they're actually pluckable.
That sounds amazing, I wish I could see them in person too. :)
Just an idea, since the ace of spades is a single piece of paper, would you consider having copies of it laser-cut or something as one of the kickstarter rewards? That would look amazing.
(Acrylic should work well.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:11:33 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

Re: The Curator deck - transformation deck, hand-cut images
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Hey Ncyclopedia, I know you have pride in all these cards, and this may be tough, but what is you favorite card/ cards.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

Re: New transformation deck due to Kickstart next year
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
That sounds amazing, I wish I could see them in person too. :)
Just an idea, since the ace of spades is a single piece of paper, would you consider having copies of it laser-cut or something as one of the kickstarter rewards? That would look amazing.
(Acrylic should work well.)

Hmm, that's something to thing about. I still have the original paper template I created for the ace, so it's a possibility.

Hey Ncyclopedia, I know you have pride in all these cards, and this may be tough, but what is you favorite card/ cards.

That is tough, since every new card I made became my new favorite, lol. However, I would probably have to single out the Ace of Spades. It started it all, and if it wasn't for a last-minute decision to sketch out the phoenix, the cards wouldn't have existed.

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2012, 06:08:52 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
http://ncyclopedia.tumblr.com/
You made a second ace of spades design? Are you considering a change? Or is it a gaff for the phoenix transformation? ;D

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2012, 06:17:37 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It's the start of his new deck. It's bird themed.

I'm excited for another year of great art!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2012, 06:52:05 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Oh, right, I missed that part. A whole deck with birds for a theme sounds fantastic! ;D
Also, I started working on ideas for a few transformation cards myself, and working with the pips to create something really is quite a challenge. It makes me appreciate this deck even more. ;)
Not to mention my deck isn't nearly as elaborate, and I'm not necessarily planning on doing it on every card, since it's not even meant to be a transformation deck to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:54:12 AM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Oh, right, I missed that part. A whole deck with birds for a theme sounds fantastic! ;D
Also, I started working on ideas for a few transformation cards myself, and working with the pips to create something really is quite a challenge. It makes me appreciate this deck even more. ;)
Not to mention my deck isn't nearly as elaborate, and I'm not necessarily planning on doing it on every card, since it's not even meant to be a transformation deck to begin with.

Thanks Moon! You know I love your deck's theme, and I can't wait to see the finished product  :)

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
@Ncyclopedia: you have some serious potential where it comes to art and design.  I love all the work I've seen so far.  Get this Kickstarter project off the ground already!  (Or perhaps you can find a private backer or two?)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
@Ncyclopedia: you have some serious potential where it comes to art and design.  I love all the work I've seen so far.  Get this Kickstarter project off the ground already!  (Or perhaps you can find a private backer or two?)

Thank you! I'm working on it!

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thank you! I'm working on it!

Good to hear! I'm eager to get a chance to pledge for this deck. Amazing work.  ;D
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
If it doesn't cost to much, I think you should add a custom seal so this is truly a 100% custom deck.

Also, if it doesn't cost any different, PLEASE make this deck traditionally cut for two reasons:
•First, I love the way traditionally cut cards feel and farro.
•Second, it would fit this deck perfectly since you cut all of these cards by hand.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Ncyclopedia,

Thanks for the compliment on the other thread!

I can't wait to get some of your Curator and the new Birds Deck! They are gorgeous, extremely creative and the technical skill of hand-cutting everything is crazy. I couldn't imagine trimming out all of the complex shapes you have on every card.

Do you plan on selling the original 2 foot cards? I'm asking because I think you could have a great art exhibition with the complete deck. Also, if you do fund the Curator Deck on Kickstarter I think people would be thrilled if one of the high dollar pledges was for some decks of cards AND one of the one-of-a-kind 2 foot originals! Those would sell like hotcakes. It could be a first-come basis on which card a pledge gets, a person could pledge for an original, e-mail you with their Top 5 list in order of preference and find out which original they get through on ongoing Kickstarter update (XXX gets the Ace of Hearts, XXXX gets the 2 of Spades.....).

No matter what you do, it's cool seeing a new card each week.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I'm in a bit of a rush since I'm at work, but I was alerted to this reseller's website since someone is selling my cards in Russia:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://blogs.mail.ru/mail/rabota100/793F3D2CB934C3E.html&ei=s7MyT8jsE5CutwfGkfSMBw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDQQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://blogs.mail.ru/mail/rabota100/793F3D2CB934C3E.html%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26tbo%3Dd

Original link:

http://Http://blogs.mail.ru/mail/rabota100/793F3D2CB934C3E.html

I registered the entire deck last year with the Copyright Office at the Library of Congress, but I was wondering what you guys think I should do next (too much going on at work right now and I haven't had time to dig deeper into the site
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:55:31 PM by Ncyclopedia »

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Wow, this is really scary. You should report this to the copyright agency and address this issue.

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
If I'm right, the copyright agency will not track the people down, only confirm that you own the copyright.  You'll have to get a lawyer to write a C&D (cease and desist), I think.  Even then, you probably won't be able to recoup the legal fees without a court battle.

« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
What the hell! Thats not right at all. I really hope that you can get them for this.
And please don't tell me thats the back design you were going to use....

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
If I'm right, the copyright agency will not track the people down, only confirm that you own the copyright.  You'll have to get a lawyer to write a C&D (cease and desist), I think.  Even then, you probably won't be able to recoup the legal fees without a court battle.
Is it really that hard to prove even if the deck is copyrighted? I didn't think so. Maybe the fact that he lives in Russia makes it harder tho.

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
when i click on the link it says record cannot be found
have you heard the word???

« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I think the fact that it is in Russia is the biggest obstacle. Hopefully you can get that sorted out. I don't really have any solid advice since I have no experience in the legality of copyright and copyright infringement.

@MagicAddictz- no, this is the back design http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=574805947258&set=a.536975824128.2046845.14700468&type=3&theater

EDIT: It seems the page got deleted. They might have realized you found out about them and stopped (hopefully that was the case). Although I would still investigate just to be sure.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Ok good. The back design that they used is ugly!
And just by the pics they posted, they printed them with crappy quality.

« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2012, 05:40:22 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
So my friend got in touch with the reseller. The reseller bought 2 decks from a marketplace in Ufa, a Russian city. No information beyond that is known since the box has no other markings on it. I will look into it.

The biggest clue though is that the deck has the title "Трансформационная колода OMEGALPHA,"
which translates to "transformation deck Omegalpha." Omegalpha is my handle on DeviantART, and so the images must've been stolen from there.

Also, whoever the manufacturer is, they jumped to print them as soon as I posted the final court card in late December, not knowing that I would upload a back design a few days later.

If you guys see this omegalpha deck posted anywhere else online, please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:42:07 PM by Ncyclopedia »

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2012, 05:59:14 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
That is terrible. However, I would love to have a deck of these...obviously from the creator.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2012, 06:02:58 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Hmm... it might be possible for DA to check for Russian IP addresses accessing your page between those 2 dates.  I'd ask an admin there if its possible.

Maybe watermark your commercial stuff?  I never would have considered it before but it may be worth doing.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:05:49 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hmm... it might be possible for DA to check for Russian IP addresses accessing your page between those 2 dates.  I'd ask an admin there if its possible.

Maybe watermark your commercial stuff?  I never would have considered it before but it may be worth doing.

Yeah, I'll see if DA can look into IP addresses. A friend of mine is an IP lawyer so I'll ask her about it.

I've thought about adding watermarks before, but unfortunately artwork is infringed/stolen all the time despite watermarks or other measures. I knew there was a risk of this happening.

What's funny is that the deck is being marketed under one of my screen names and I was credited as the artist since the reseller had my name.

« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I was able to save images of the counterfeit deck before the reseller took the page down.

Again, if you happen to see this fake deck anywhere else, please let me know immediately. My email is emjose@gmail.com

Also, what's pictured is NOT going to be the real back design or the tuck case.

I'm currently in the process of asking the reseller questions about when and how he got the deck.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:24:59 PM by Ncyclopedia »