You are Here:
Sawdust by Emmanuel Jose (KS)

Author (Read 4336 times)

Sawdust by Emmanuel Jose (KS)
« on: September 04, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
For those who didn't get the update from Clipped Wings, Sawdust has been released :D Unexpectedly, however (well, to me anyway)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emmanueljose/sawdust-circus-playing-card-deck-uspcc-printed?ref=nav_search

EDIT: Just realised Emmanuel stated a 1pm release for Sept 4th. My bad :p

Here's a link to the design & dev topic

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=4042.0
[ADMIN EDIT: link corrected]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:31:30 AM by Don Boyer »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

Re: Sawdust by Emmanuel Jose (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
It's almost embarrassing how much a fan I am of his work.   :D

One thing I just noticed though is that the Jokers have different backs than the rest?  While this is VERY cool in the effect it has as art, this means any games that use Jokers means for those this is a non-functional deck.  I don't often play games like that, but are there ad cards or something else with the same backs that then could be used as Jokers in a game without the back giving them away?
EDIT - Emmanuel already replied that the Jokers have the same back.  Apparently what is shown below is just both Jokers.  The way the video was worded it seemed to imply they had different backs.
All 56 cards have the same back.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Personally, this is the type of deck I would never play card games with. It's an art deck, I like to view these and just admire them - wouldn't want them getting worn out or bent or torn.
Emmanuel's decks are just too good.

I can't wait for Delicious to come out, that's the one I'm most excited about.

His idea of triptych spade courts is just fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:40:50 PM by Nurul »

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Agree, it is primarily an art deck, but so far his have been mostly functional.  For his prior ones I've gotten uncut and a collector deck, but also added a play deck as well.  May do the same here which is why I was curious.  Not a big deal though, but it would be fun to pull this one out for game nights as well.

EDIT - Emmanuel already replied that the Jokers have the same back.  Apparently they just have 2 different faces that then look like front and back view.   
All 56 cards have the same back.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you to all who have pledged!

Hi ecNate, in the main video, I put the 2 jokers back to back to show the spinning motion of the curtains, but I apologize if it came across like they were the 2 sides of 1 card. Each joker is a separate card.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Personally, this is the type of deck I would never play card games with. It's an art deck, I like to view these and just admire them - wouldn't want them getting worn out or bent or torn.
Emmanuel's decks are just too good.

I can't wait for Delicious to come out, that's the one I'm most excited about.

His idea of triptych spade courts is just fantastic.

In fact his idea of triptych courts is fantastic, not just the spades. I wonder why no one used this idea yet.

EDIT: Just realised the other triptych i saw on his website are for his 4th decks.

Once again, he has done a brilliant deck. Probably the few designers that i would get an uncut sheet for every deck. And even this deck i'm so tempted to get the triptych art prints....

*MUST CONTROL...OVERSPENDING......  :mindf-ck:  :t11:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:52:11 PM by PurpleIce »

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For those of you who may have missed the topic in Design/Dev, with all sorts of lovely info about the deck:

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=4042.0

I would say "best of luck" to you, Emmanuel, but you clearly don't need it!

(Just noticed Nurul posted the topic - but to a specific post rather than the topic as a whole, so I'll fix that...)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:30:16 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Any designer that has taken the time to customise each and every card in a deck is awesome to me. I was worried when I saw 'Circus' that it would be accompanied with insane colours but this is really tasteful. At first glance I thought the box looked lazy, ( what is it with minimalist boxes lately) then I realised it is to be part of the set for his previous decks and thought, that is well done!

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you so much, everyone!

I admit, I'm guilty of minimalistic tuck cases :)

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:58:24 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Normally I don't favor minimalist tucks there are a few exceptions. This deck is definitely one of the exceptions. I think the tuck is wonderful and suits the deck really very well. Just the big top on the font, as if to say 'Come on in, see what's inside'. Can't even get a ticket unless you investigate further. Then once the initial steps are taken, the deck gives you a ticket and all manner of delights follow.

Absolutely brilliant, I love it. :D
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you, Fes!

To Everyone, I'm holding a couple of contests offsite from Kickstarter since the Sawdust campaign is now more than halfway over. Please take a look if interested! :)

Sawdust Kickstarter campaign page: http://goo.gl/9G5jL1.
Hi-res image of rules and questions: http://i.imgur.com/MtLtiC3.jpg.

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Awesome contest Emmanuel :) i'm going to get right on it :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:48:26 PM by Nurul »

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Sorry for the double Pm. I hope I'm right hahaha. What a great easter egg contest. :) I'm sure I can't win now, but I still hope I'm right. Even if I have no shot at a signed deck I enjoyed it lol.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:04:55 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Fes, no problem! Remember, you can still enter the other contest per the rules..

I'll reveal the answers once the contest is over so I can't confirm yet if anyone's answers are right.

So far, I've only received submissions for Contest B. It only has 2 questions, but in my opinion, it's more difficult than Contest A.

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I submitted both of mine earlier via email.  I can say I had a number of different totals depending on where I looked and how close so I can easily see how there will be a number of close answers on these.  The only other thing I'll say is those hidden faces were super clever!  Took me forever to find those.

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 12:55:21 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Sawdust (KS)

Just a little bump for this project. Only about 2k short of funding with 5 days to go.

Emmanuel, you should add a few pictures of individual cards to the front of your KS project page. Maybe a few updates.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:56:16 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you for the bump, Rob! Updates will come soon.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Congratulations on funding! I'm looking forward to my brick of joy. This is such a fun deck, it's impossible for me to look at the images and not smile. I think you've done a excellent job of capturing the wonder and excitement of the big top.

Still four days left on this. Hope no one is dragging their feet. I think this is a very special deck. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:57:18 AM by Fes »

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you very much, Fes, and thank you to everyone who backed Sawdust!!!  :D

Hi-res image of the photo above: http://i.imgur.com/vDLa62l.jpg

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I just love this deck the more I see it! Congratulations Emmanuel on being funded! I knew it would happen. Yay!

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 02:13:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have no doubts that his decks will get funded.  The art has a broad appeal.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Just a friendly reminder. If you've been thinking about pledging for this amazing deck. This campaign has three hours to go. It is funded and marching forward. :)

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you, Fes, I really appreciate it! Thank you so much again to all who backed Sawdust!

As promised, here are the answers to the contests now that the Kickstarter campaign ended. The winners were notified earlier this morning. Thank you to all who participated!

CONTEST A

1. In the first video, how many times is the word “Sawdust” spoken out loud? 4 times.

2. In the first video, how many sound effects are used to emphasize individual cards? 9 sound effects.

3. In the second video, how many cards appear more than once? 5 cards. The Jack, Queen, and King of Spades appear 3 times. Both Jokers appear twice.

4. Not including the central trio, which Sawdust cards are referenced in the second Joker?

These 10 cards are referenced:
• 4 of Spades (the elephant and mouse)
• Ace of Clubs (the monkey)
• 8 of Diamonds (the woman on the knife wheel)
• Queen of Clubs (the wire walker)
• 3 of Hearts (the man on stilts and the little girl)
• 9 of Hearts (the little boy and the dachshund)
• 8 of hearts (the showgirl)
• 10 of Hearts (the giraffes)
• 6 of clubs (the human cannonball)
• King of Hearts (the lion tamer and cub)

5. Which appear more in the Sawdust deck, female or male characters? Neither/equally/evenly. Female characters and male characters appear the same number of times (60 appearances each).

6. What number larger than 10 appears multiple times in the Sawdust deck? The number 52.

7. Which circus cast member has an injury? The woman on the knife wheel (from the 8 of Diamonds) has a Band-Aid on her leg when she reappears in the second Joker card.

8. A parent and their child do not appear together in the same card. Which cards show this parent-child pair? The little girl in the 4 of Diamonds is the daughter of the ringmaster in the King of Diamonds. She’s dressed just like her father, and both their top hats transform into Diamond pips.

9. Refer to questions 5 and 6 to calculate: The number of males (60) + the number of females (60) – the answer to question 6 (52) – the number of Sawdust court cards (12) = 56. 56 is the number of cards in the uncut sheet (or printed deck).

10.  There’s a pair of happy and sad faces hidden in which Sawdust card? The 8 of Clubs. The bicycle wheels are eyes, the trapeze bars are noses, and the aerialists form the mouths. The sad face is on the left and the happy face is on the right.

11. The National Flag of the Philippines is referenced in which Sawdust card? The 7 of Hearts. The sun emblem of the flag is on the lower back of the illustrated man and the 3 stars of the flag are on his upper back.

CONTEST B

1. Not including the box, how many times does the letter S appear in the Sawdust paper-cut cards? The letter S appears 96 times (this includes the back design, which has 11 S’s). The hint about “the largest S is in one of the court cards“ referred to the King of Clubs. The trapeze performers form a giant S.

2. Not including the box, how many times would the letter S appear if 1 Sawdust deck was printed today? The letter S would appear 743 times.

Playing cards are double-sided, so the S’s on the faces and the backs have to be accounted for.

The faces: 96 (the number of S’s in the 55 paper-cut cards, which includes the back design since there’s a double-backer card) + 31 (the number of S’s in the poem, which is the 56th card) = 127 S’s

The backs: 11 (the number of S’s in the back) x 56 (total number of cards) = 616

Total: 743 S’s.

Here are the images of the Sawdust cards.
1. http://ejprints.tumblr.com/archive

2. http://i.imgur.com/vDLa62l.jpg

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Congratulations Emmanuel!  :D You deserve a bounty of success from your amazing deck.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you so much, Rose!

For anyone who missed the campaign, the following is the BackerKit order page, which will be live until next Sunday, October 19th: https://backerkit.com/preorders

If you are a current backer and need your survey resent, please let me know!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:14:53 AM by Emmanuel »