You are Here:
Bicycle Castle Back (KS), previously named Royal Wilderness, Westeros Wilderness

Author (Read 9238 times)

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
Hello!  New deck of cards up for grabs on Kickstarter!  Westeros' Wilderness

Custom Royalty, Jokers, Ace of Spades, and Backs.  Standard Pips.  Tradition was the focus here, with all the court cards given their appropriate attributes.  The back was inspired by the Rider Back, dubbed the Castle Back.  Royalty are based on the factions involved with Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire!

Suicide King

Castle Back
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:10:46 AM by Don Boyer »

Re: New KS Deck - Westeros' Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I'd imagine a deeply visual book series/show would allow for much more expansive and intriguing art than that.

Also, what exactly is the plan to deal with copyright issues? If I was George RR Martin I wouldn't want someone else representing my brand, and definitely not for profit.

The castle back is actually really darn cool, and I believe it would go further without the branding.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:28:29 PM by alex. »
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Also, what exactly is the plan to deal with copyright issues? If I was George RR Martin I wouldn't want someone else representing my brand, and definitely not for profit.

It was actually a KS project last year that went nowhere. Back then it was named Animal Rivals. I'm guessing he wanted to try and cash in on Game of Thrones' popularity with the name change!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/400028682/animal-rival-playing-cards?ref=card

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Wow!  Will have a choice of red or blue backs, Bicycle branded- 1 deck $5 early bird, $8 standard- 2 decks $10 early bird, $15 standard. Funding ends Aug 3. expected delivery is Sept.

Quote under Risks and challenges
"Will you even receive the cards?!
 Of course! I'm a personal fan of USPS, so they'll be delivered to your mailbox, PO Box, whatever you have, within 4-6 weeks of the project being funded. This will depend greatly on USPC's diligence, but I trust everything will go according to plan."

This guy may make Adam from Army Men deck look like a hero.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
Hello!  For the record, this deck was always themed off of Game of Thrones.  I've personally never read the books, but I'm a huge fan of the HBO series.  I don't think Westeros itself is trademarked, so hopefully I'm ok there.  The back that I had the first time around was god awful, and I imagine that was part of my failure.  I've waited, and waited, and finally came up with something... respectable?  Hopefully you'll agree that's the case.  I went with a red and a blue back, because I was trying to stick with tradition.  Same reason I wanted to keep the standard pips.  I want these to feel like a regular deck of cards, not some weird novelty deck that only gets used once, or worse yet, stays on a shelf somewhere.  Most importantly, I want to play with these cards! The fact that there are surplus decks available (hopefully, if it gets funded, obviously) is a bonus =)

This is my first, well second, time at this.  The delivery times I've quoted seem to fall in line with other's projects, and based on my contact with USPCC, I stand behind them.

I checked out the Army Men deck, but the updates that look to be the most important are for backers only... then a bunch of refunds?!  That looks awful.  I can assure you that won't be the case here.  As stated prior, I want to play with these, so I'll do everything in my power to assure their success.

So the name change, sure.  I'm trying to catch some eyes.  That's the hardest part, it seems, of this whole thing... trying to get people's attention.  Hopefully I've gained some momentum this time around though, and I look forward to delivering on this deck of cards.  If you find the project, and / or myself worthy, I'd appreciate your support and your word of mouth.

Cheers, folks!  =)

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 01:34:36 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Actually most projects have a 2-3 month turnaround. While it may only take USPCC 4-6 weeks to print. You will not get funded from KS until 2 weeks after funding stops, USPCC will take 2-4 weeks just to approve the designs. That would mean 4-6 weeks before they even start printing. plus shipping to you, and you shipping to backers. With 2 different color backs, you are looking at a 5000 minimum order. About $16,000 for branded decks. I don't know you, and I would not want to guess as to how deep your pockets are. If you get minimum funding. Keeping in mind shipping cost to your backers. that will be at least 12k out of your pocket. At $8 a deck. By the time you pay USPCC, Backer shipping & packaging, KS, and Amazon. Does not leave very much profit margin. Please take this as advice. Good luck.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:43:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello!  For the record, this deck was always themed off of Game of Thrones.  I've personally never read the books, but I'm a huge fan of the HBO series.  I don't think Westeros itself is trademarked, so hopefully I'm ok there.  The back that I had the first time around was god awful, and I imagine that was part of my failure.  I've waited, and waited, and finally came up with something... respectable?  Hopefully you'll agree that's the case.  I went with a red and a blue back, because I was trying to stick with tradition.  Same reason I wanted to keep the standard pips.  I want these to feel like a regular deck of cards, not some weird novelty deck that only gets used once, or worse yet, stays on a shelf somewhere.  Most importantly, I want to play with these cards! The fact that there are surplus decks available (hopefully, if it gets funded, obviously) is a bonus =)

This is my first, well second, time at this.  The delivery times I've quoted seem to fall in line with other's projects, and based on my contact with USPCC, I stand behind them.

I checked out the Army Men deck, but the updates that look to be the most important are for backers only... then a bunch of refunds?!  That looks awful.  I can assure you that won't be the case here.  As stated prior, I want to play with these, so I'll do everything in my power to assure their success.

So the name change, sure.  I'm trying to catch some eyes.  That's the hardest part, it seems, of this whole thing... trying to get people's attention.  Hopefully I've gained some momentum this time around though, and I look forward to delivering on this deck of cards.  If you find the project, and / or myself worthy, I'd appreciate your support and your word of mouth.

Cheers, folks!  =)

"Westeros" doesn't have to be trademarked to be covered under copyright law.  Tread carefully.  USPC Legal will squash this deck if you don't own the rights to EVERYTHING in it, including the title.  To go forward without having a lawyer actually settle the rights issues first is reckless and amateurish.

The "Bicycle Army Men" deck was destroyed because, among other things, its creator was slapped with a cease-and-desist letter from the lawyers representing the company owning the rights to "Army Men".  If you want to go through the hell Adam Clarkson is right now, you're a braver (and more foolish) man than I am.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I'd be surprised if this weren't pulled from Kickstarter for even implying a relationship to George R. R. Martins books.  This isn't Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz or other Public Domain subject matter, this is a current and well licensed product.  I don't see a tuck box so perhaps when he sends it to USPCC his name will revert back to Animal Rivals and no one would be the wiser.  Unlike The Name of the Wind where the author collaborated with the artists to produce a deck, this has no backing by the author, publisher or distributive license holders.  My advice, save yourself the heartache and don't attempt to capitalize on someone else's body of work.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
so hopefully I'm ok there.

Look at the Army Men KS. The creator had to pull his project after funding and issue refunds, losing his own personal money because KS doesn't give you back the ~10% in fees they take, all because he didn't consult with an attorney about any potential copyrights with "Army Men."

And Army Men is about a thousand times more vague than Westeros.

Here are the people who will potentially send you cease & desists:

- GRRM himself
- HBO
- ASOIAF publishers

As far as I know the only way to get away with for-profit commercialization of someone else's work is to pass it off as a parody.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

As far as I know the only way to get away with for-profit commercialization of someone else's work is to pass it off as a parody.

And even there, you can STILL end up with legal issues trying to defend your work as a parody, since there are legal criteria as to what is a parody and what is infringement.  So, Mallanaga, it's really not worth it, ESPECIALLY without consulting with a GOOD lawyer first.  But if you want to go down that road, far be it from anyone here to stop you.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
IMHO:

- court cards are really nice - especially those pictures which overlap big pips - each picture and its background interact better in this case;

- Jokers don't fit the overall theme too much;

- backs are nice, a very interesting idea;

- questions about the low goal and copyright issues should be explained better to add decency to this project.

Good luck. Tuck case?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
Thanks, Collector!  I guess I could have gone more line art-ish with the Ravens, but I really wanted to capture the black with them.

As for the low goal - It's about $1500 short of full funding.  I'm relying on the trend of these playing cards pledges snowballing a bit after the goal is reached.  On the off chance of that snowball not rolling downhill like I'd like, I'll fund the rest myself.

Copyright... name is changed to Royal Wilderness.  I appreciate the heads up on that, guys.  Chances are, everything would be fine, but better safe than sorry is a good motto to have in life =)

Re: New KS Deck - Royal Wilderness
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As for the low goal - It's about $1500 short of full funding.  I'm relying on the trend of these playing cards pledges snowballing a bit after the goal is reached.  On the off chance of that snowball not rolling downhill like I'd like, I'll fund the rest myself.

Copyright... name is changed to Royal Wilderness.  I appreciate the heads up on that, guys.  Chances are, everything would be fine, but better safe than sorry is a good motto to have in life =)

There's the trend for snowballing, but there's also been some projects that crossed the goal line by inches - in one case I know of, by less than $100.  Unless you seriously don't mind parting with your own cash, never set a goal too low to cover ALL the expenses AND perhaps 10% above that as a margin for error.  The majority of all KS projects end up with unexpected expenses - the massively overfunded ones have little to worry about, but the ones that squeaked by have problems.

And good call on the name, BTW - I changed the topic title for you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:29:48 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 06:03:40 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Well as of right now, you're about 4500 dollars short of the goal. Apparently you lost a lot of people when the name changed.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well as of right now, you're about 4500 dollars short of the goal. Apparently you lost a lot of people when the name changed.

Well, it was either that or lose the entire project when the lawyers for GRR Martin find out, which would only have been a matter of time.

My advice at this point would be to contact his backers - certainly to current ones, but if possible, the ones that backed out - and ask what they feel would improve the deck.  Take the best of those ideas and run with them.  It's not like the deck hasn't improved from its previous iteration.

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
Just about 60% funded.  No news is good news on the legal front, methinks.  Any interest in the 1 of a kind prints?? eh, eh?

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
Proofs are in from USPCC!  Everything is on track there.  Cards are approved... Tuck is approved... Just need a bit more funding  ;D

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Proofs are in from USPCC!  Everything is on track there.  Cards are approved... Tuck is approved... Just need a bit more funding  ;D

Just out of curiosity - with all the woodland creatures in your deck, why on Earth did you choose a SQUID for that Ace of Spades?  My gears are stripped just looking at it - they're past grinding!

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
Great question, Don.  I crafted these cards from the factions in Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire.  The Spades represent the Starks, and their House Sigil is the Dire Wolf.  The Starks have a very interesting relationship with the Greyjoys.  Their House sigil is the Kraken (squid).  To have that looming over the Starks, just seemed to fit.

Plus, the shape of the squid made for a perfect Spade, no?  I really just got lucky there, methinks.

Also... as far as woodland creatures go.  The dragons don't throw you off?  lol ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:20:50 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 02:11:33 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Great question, Don.  I crafted these cards from the factions in Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire.  The Spades represent the Starks, and their House Sigil is the Dire Wolf.  The Starks have a very interesting relationship with the Greyjoys.  Their House sigil is the Kraken (squid).  To have that looming over the Starks, just seemed to fit.

Plus, the shape of the squid made for a perfect Spade, no?  I really just got lucky there, methinks.

Also... as far as woodland creatures go.  The dragons don't throw you off?  lol ;)

I know we gave you grief about naming this deck, but there is nothing at all wrong with stating the the deck was inspired by your passion for the books, characters and series.  I would just not directly name names or state that it's a direwolf over the Starks crest.  I get it though, as a huge George R.R. Martin fan I do appreciate the references.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
@Don... you edited my post instead of making your own.  Newb.  =P

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@Don... you edited my post instead of making your own.  Newb.  =P

Uh, whoops?  :))  Sorry, bro, it happens!

Just fixed it - here's what I intended to post, in my own post...

Not really, no - I've been playing D&D since First Edition, though I'm rusty at it now.  When I think "wilderness", dragons fit fine, but I never thought of the ocean as "wilderness" quite so much, so seafaring creatures never come to mind.  One can lead a party into the woods, mountains, etc. to hunt a dragon, a wolf, a bear - but not so much a squid, unless you have one of those really bizarre DMs...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:21:26 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:03 AM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
Cheers, no worries.  I just thought it was funny.  I gotcha.

Anyway, I need some opinions.  It's getting down to the wire, but someone recommended a change that makes sense.  They said that the pips were overpowering the more subtle line art.

How do you guys feel about these pips?

All the pip cards would have the top left / bottom right card lined like that.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 11:31:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

24 hours left!  Any takers?

Sorry - I swore off buying new decks for the indefinite future.  Best of luck, though.

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »

Mallanaga

• Newcomer
98% with 3 hours to go...  :D

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well... this deck is out... and it's now called Bicycle Castle Back  --  Can a mod alter the name of this thread to reflect both names

I included the very first name as well.