You are Here:
Madison Dealers by Ellusionist

Author (Read 32290 times)

Re: Madison Dealers by Ellusionist
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51:58 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
200$?! Come on...

I, seriously, am not surprised at all. Not one least bit. Maybe i am getting used to seeing such pricing from E.

Just on a side note, this came from the e-brochure of "E".

"Shortly after Jamie began work on these bottles, his hands became crippled due to the highly detailed, repetitive work it takes to make just one of these inspirational art pieces. Unfortunately, Jamie has not yet fully recovered from his surgery, so less than 50 of each of these bottles currently exist - and may ever exist.

We wish Jamie all the best in his recovery, but at this stage cannot tell if or when we would be able to replenish our stock should these bottles sell out. "

Although i highly believe even without this reason, they will still sell at $200/bottle anyway.

Regardless, it's not like the price hike isn't justified.  These are usually short-run in the first place, but at less than 50 available, that's the shortest run of any AIP Bottle.

BTW: anyone here wish Jamie a quick recovery?  He is a forum user, y'know.

I bought the Scarlet Dealers AIP bottle when it was exclusively offered to Black Club. The price was a little higher then I was used to seeing the AIP bottles. It was a must have for me. Jamie and Daniel from what I've read/heard seem to have a fond respect/friendship with each other. Jamie made mention on Coffee with D&D, he has AIP bottles made by other people in his collection. One of his favorites is a hilarious Daniel Madison attempt at AIP that was given to Jamie as a gift. You will also notice Daniel has an article/testimonial written by Jamie D Grant on his website. To have both collaborating on ONE signature piece, I think its worth the higher price.

When I saw Jamie on coffee w/ D&D it was mentioned that he had some sort of procedure. He was showing D&D how much flexibility he had in the wrist at that point in his recovery. It was not until I read the New Madison (Black Rounder & Green Dealers) AIP product information that I put 2 + 2 together and realized his procedure was due to making AIP's. I believe he is much further along in his recovery then Ellusionist makes it sound. However, I'm sure Jamie's doctor(s) are not recommending he continue to make AIP's. Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) or Carpal Tunnel is not something you want to screw around with, especially if your a magician. Jamie has some decisions to make. At the very least, don't be surprised if AIP's become less frequent and harder to obtain. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:02:33 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2014, 09:01:28 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
He just posted that he is fine. I am sure he will talk with them and that Ellusionist will send out an apology, saying it was not meant to be taken that way.

and this is taken from the description when you go to buy them.

Shortly after Jamie began production on these bottles, he was forced to stop work due to an injury to his hands. As such, less than 50 of each of these bottles have been produced. When we spoke to Jamie recently he confirmed that he has now bounced back 110% after his surgery and is feeling better than he has in 10 years.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:10:35 PM by John B. »
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
He just posted that he is fine. I am sure he will talk with them and that Ellusionist will send out an apology, saying it was not meant to be taken that way.

Shortly after Jamie began production on these bottles, he was forced to stop work due to an injury to his hands. As such, less than 50 of each of these bottles have been produced. When we spoke to Jamie recently he confirmed that he has now bounced back 110% after his surgery and is feeling better than he has in 10 years.

Somewhere between the Ellusionist story and Jamie's story is the truth. No one is ever 100% after needing surgery. 98% sure. Sounds like Jamie is being over optimistic. This is his livelihood after all and is going to be very protective of it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:45:42 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
jamie has been posting updates as he has been getting better its not he just did the surgery yesterday. Back in feburary he mentioned how it was working again,  its been healing for a few months.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
You would think in this day and age companies would no better. With all the social media the truth will eventually be known. I guess E is banking on the "Non Connected" minority? Shame on E  :(

Nothing but well wishes for Jamie, get well soon!

« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Lee McKenzie also posted some updates in regards to Jamie as in December, when Lee was sending out rewards the Empire AISP bottles were on hold due to Jamie's injury and recovery.

Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingsandcrooks/empire-playing-cards-built-to-conquer/posts/752750

The good news is that Jamie is back to full health and able to work again.

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2014, 12:04:24 AM »

Jamie D. Grant

Heya Gang!

It's been too long since I've come by here- I need to change that!

And thank you all SO MUCH for the kind words and messages regarding my surgery! I would be lying if I said I wasn't terrified- but I'm pretty much back to full health and luckily my art hasn't been affected!!

I used to be a semi-pro bike racer so I've been riding a bike pretty much every day for twenty years. That, combined with getting older, putting decks into bottles all the time, tuning Industrial Revelations, working out, and Crossfitting, etc, just kind of wore my wrist out. I went it with some chronic pain and the doc said, "You know, we can fix that."

So in October, they did what's called a "scope". They go into your wrist with a camera and make sure there's no arthritis and to see what's what. They saw that I tore my SL ligament- but that it was repairable. So in November, I went in for full surgery! Basically, they took a piece of tendon from my forearm and then inserted it into my wrist. They drilled through 3 bones in my wrist and tied that piece of tendon around them. It tightened everything right up. Madness. When I went in for my custom cast, they castmaker asked what I had done. When I explained, he replied, "Ah. Fancy surgery." And you know what? He's right. It IS fancy surgery. And I am SO LUCKY to be a Canadian. In other countries, I'm sure they never would have even considered doing anything. And it doesn't cost me a cent. Unbelievable.

And now here we are 4 months later! I'm just now starting to feel great and have been making bottles again. Hurrah! I have to say, though, that these Madison ones are amazing. There's something about having his signature on them that makes me feel like a piece of him is in my home at all times. Haha. It sounds weird, but it's true. I look at AIPs like friends- and Madison is an awesome one.

I also know that there's always some talk about the price tags, too. And I promise you that I'm not buying a mansion on the hill or anything, lol. They take hours- and when you factor that in- with everything else, I think they're priced fairly. I know I spend hundreds on art that I love- especially if I know I'm going to keep it for years and years (my favourite is my Ricky Jay poster that I had framed. Holy smokes, now THAT was expensive, lol).

I guess that's about it! I'm definitely going to try and contribute here more! And, please, treat me like an open book! I'm the most honest guy you'll ever meet- so if you have a question about anything, don't be afraid to ask. Except for "how I make the bottles", lol. I've heard that about a million times by now. But anything else- if I can help you, I will.

Your pal,

jamie

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2014, 12:46:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I was about to say that I heard from Jamie via email and he said he'd check in - but he beat me to it!

Glad to hear that the road to recovery is nearly complete!

Pretty low for them to use somebodies medical condition to make them seem even more rare and make it seem like he may not be able to make any more of these. Especially since he's posted before this was sent out that he was expecting to be back at it as soon as he could. Can E get any lower?

To be fair, Victor, it didn't sound to me like any more would be made - it sounded like E got what they could and ended the contract there, meaning that there would be no more made of that deck.  Jamie, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Somewhere between the Ellusionist story and Jamie's story is the truth. No one is ever 100% after needing surgery. 98% sure. Sounds like Jamie is being over optimistic. This is his livelihood after all and is going to be very protective of it.

I personally have had a number of surgeries where I bounced back and felt much better than I did before, with a full and complete recovery.  The most recent was when I was having chronic shoulder pain which turned out to be caused by a bone spur that was digging into a tendon.  I've had this pain on and off for over thirty years, and in a single surgery, the spur was shaved down, and I'm feeling better than I have since I was a teen - I'd call that even better than a 100% recovery, wouldn't you?

The quality of medical care available in Canada is shockingly good compared to some of the experiences others and I have had over the years, and they pay very indirectly for it in the form of their taxes - no bills, no mountains of medical debt.  Half of my family is Quebecois by origin.  Some who moved to the USA never relinquished their citizenship in Canada, and for good reason.  If I had to pay a modest bump in my taxes for free health care, you bet I'd do it.  Even with insurance, it can be a challenge these days.

To get back on track, it surprises me not in the least that Jamie would have a full and complete recovery.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2014, 01:05:12 AM »

Jamie D. Grant

Sorry, I missed this one! I keep forgetting that my story might not be well known here as in other places, too. So for those that don't know, I'm also a full time paramedic. I have seen trauma that not many people can even imagine. So some wrist pain/discomfort is absolute nothing in the grand scheme of things. Like, zero; nothing. So when I can come out of surgery (that isn't required to save my life) and the pain is gone. Yup, that's a 110% success. Not being protective about anything- just being my usual positive self!