You are Here:
White Monarchs by T11 (White Gold Monarchs)

Author (Read 43667 times)

Re: White Monarchs by T11 (White Gold Monarchs)
« Reply #275 on: October 18, 2014, 06:47:56 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

What's this new colors they were supposed to be creating for monarchs? Will we see a black/silver deck?

I was mentioning the opposite - that I thought they decided to release NO more new colors.  I could be mixing them up with E and the Artifice deck - that one ended with the Gold Artifice for Black Club members.

Yea, I see that now haha, learn to read Fes. Probably shouldn't hit the comp first thing when I stumble in the door. I think you're right, that was E with the Artifice deck. I don't recall any mention of no new colors on Monarchs out of T11. Still holding out hope for a black/silver to be a reality there.;)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #276 on: October 18, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

What's this new colors they were supposed to be creating for monarchs? Will we see a black/silver deck?

I was mentioning the opposite - that I thought they decided to release NO more new colors.  I could be mixing them up with E and the Artifice deck - that one ended with the Gold Artifice for Black Club members.

Technically, its not a "new" color. You are still correct.

You really start to appreciate companies that continue to be fair to customers at this point in the playing card game. They got me thinking about Black Friday. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:09:54 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #277 on: October 18, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »

Msp062

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Yeah, hats off to Theory 11! I truly appreciated the opportunity to buy these. I picked up a couple bricks.

« Reply #278 on: October 18, 2014, 11:34:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Yea, I see that now haha, learn to read Fes. Probably shouldn't hit the comp first thing when I stumble in the door. I think you're right, that was E with the Artifice deck. I don't recall any mention of no new colors on Monarchs out of T11. Still holding out hope for a black/silver to be a reality there.;)

I dunno.  Metallic ink is darker than most realize - it's why the shine is so hard to photograph, I think.  Silver's a bit brighter than gold, to be sure, but they'd probably have to beef up the size of the line work for it to really look good.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2015, 05:55:05 AM »

marcolostsomething

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:
So, if i get correctly: T11 said the white gold monarchs will never be printed again.
Then, on the release windows, a V2 version shows up.
Although i'm sure they both are limited edition, it's still unclear to me if they are that rare after a 2nd print, and how many decks they have.
i know i'm annoying, but i like transparency when a company is promoting a product, otherwise could be just be a bait for costumers (this is not the case, but you get the idea).

« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Well just like the other company like D&D as well as E, they are all running business.
They will say something similar along that line, to attract more buyers or collectors.
Back for more

« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »

marcolostsomething

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:
yes, i understand that.
but on the other hand it's like declaring false: they said they would never be reprinted.
suppose they'll make a v3 white monarchs... would you still consider that deck a limited edition?
NOTE: i'm personally glad they reprinted the deck, now i can own one too, but that lowers the intrinsec value at the same time.
from a collector's point of view of course

« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I agree with you there, but for them it is not something that bother them.
They might be able to print v3 but again with different seal, and that will change the price entirely, for both v1 and v2. They also never reveal how many are printed, so they can release that in smaller batch and wait for the price to fluctuate before releasing the rest of the batch. They make these collector crave for their decks.
Back for more

« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
NOTE: i'm personally glad they reprinted the deck, now i can own one too, but that lowers the intrinsec value at the same time.
from a collector's point of view of course

I think reprints of limited decks raises the value of the V1s assuming there is a way to tell the two apart. I know that if I wanted a deck of cards I would seek out the first run when I could, not the reprint, and pay a premium for it.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Reprints, from the perspective of a collector of a modern deck, harm the value of the original.  The design, now suddenly available in larger numbers, is less sought-after as some collectors will buy the second printing and consider it to be good enough for their purposes.

« Reply #285 on: May 27, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
As a collector, I agree wholeheartedly with Don. I already had examples of both versions, but decided not to buy any from this release. I checked the V2 selling prices (actual completed auctions where the item sold), and most decks were only a few dollars more that the price of this release, with a few decks even selling for the "new" price. If they are selling at list price before the "last ones ever/we found some in the warehouse/last of our stock/et cetera" group is released, then the value will remain flat at, or near, retail price. In  my mind, the new version released did hurt the value of the first version significantly. Based on selling prices, I'd say that it's a similar thing.

« Reply #286 on: May 28, 2015, 12:59:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As a collector, I agree wholeheartedly with Don. I already had examples of both versions, but decided not to buy any from this release. I checked the V2 selling prices (actual completed auctions where the item sold), and most decks were only a few dollars more that the price of this release, with a few decks even selling for the "new" price. If they are selling at list price before the "last ones ever/we found some in the warehouse/last of our stock/et cetera" group is released, then the value will remain flat at, or near, retail price. In  my mind, the new version released did hurt the value of the first version significantly. Based on selling prices, I'd say that it's a similar thing.

Consider, as I play devil's advocate to you as well (!), a different possible outcome.  Granted, while there will be some collectors that will "settle" for the second edition instead of shelling out the extra for the first, thus causing the first to drop in value, there's also the factor that there will be people buying the second who would never have bought the first, as it was out of their price range or otherwise too difficult to obtain.  If an adequate distinction is created between the two editions, there's a chance they can co-exist without having too heavy a negative impact on the market value - but there'd have to be a CLEAR, easily-distinguished difference between them, something akin to a design change, thus making the second edition not a true copy of the first and giving it a value in its own right, albeit a lower one (unless it happens to be rarer than the first)!

I finally went and took a look at the differences between the original and 2nd edition White Monarchs.  T11 is clearly making a money-grab with this and I'm not a fan.  They've been known to do this before - many people don't realize that they actually continue reprinting some of their older decks long after they've sold out on their website, selling them to retailers rather than direct to consumers.  The original "black" Stingers and the Propaganda deck are the two most blatantly-obvious examples of this.  Both were originally issued in the Cincinnati plant, but both are also to be found in the market with Erlanger markings as well from at least one subsequent printing made since the original release - something that T11 doesn't exactly advertise.  There's a comment about this somewhere on this forum where someone contacted a rep from T11 who confirmed that this is their practice.  No one knows just how many of each of their "rare" and "sold-out" decks are out there, my friends.

This deck would be among the infrequent instances that the company admits to making a second edition, to the point that they advertise it as a feature.  Previous such occasions came with the second editions of Bicycle Guardians (not counting the USPC version), DeckONE Industrial Edition, Bicycle Titanium (both colors) and Sentinels.

Guardians are a very interesting example - those were printed TWICE in the first edition, with a slight variation in the company logo between printings being the giveaway.  (The variation was pointed out to someone who claimed the second printing was in fact a second edition when I was buying second edition Guardians from him - the old logo had what appeared to be hand-drawn digits ("11") in the logo in white with a yellow circle drawn around them; the first printing had shorter serifs on the digits than the second printing, where they are elongated almost to the point of looking like "77" instead of "11."  The second edition (third printing? :)) ) had a completely revamped logo, the one they're still using today, with a more modern-looking stylized chrome-esque "11" in a circle, done with metallic ink.

No one knows how many printings were made of the decks that were first printed in Erlanger, but judging from prior company practice, I'd be inclined to say that at least some have since been reprinted and sold to retailers, despite being no longer available at theory11.com.