magic con v2 confirmed
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
dan and dave said on twitter

We have several new decks in the works including a Magic-Con deck and the long awaiting v7.

we new about 2 of them but i wonder how many others
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:26:15 PM by CBJ »

Re: magic con v2 confermed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's Dan and Dave - anything's possible.  They released something like a half-dozen decks in under three months, remember?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
not very surprise to hear that new decks are coming out from dan and dave ..

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:03:50 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
It is not surprising to hear The Buck Twins coming with the new decks . However, I'm still looking forward to the Magic Con v2 and v7 . I believe the quality would be much better!
Check out my channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanDebozioSong?feature=mhee

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:11:54 AM »

anep21

• Elite Member
is the magic con deck will be sold at their website or they just sell at magic con only?

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:13:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It is not surprising to hear The Buck Twins coming with the new decks . However, I'm still looking forward to the Magic Con v2 and v7 . I believe the quality would be much better!

It's not the quality that people complain about with their decks.  It's the reduced amount of originality that goes into the design that throws a wrench in the works from my perspective.  I've ranted about that elsewhere - go check it out.

I'm interested in their new decks.  Can't honestly say I'm looking forward to them, though.  There's enough solidly original designs either out now or in the pipeline that interest me far more.  For D&D, it's wait-n-see.

is the magic con deck will be sold at their website or they just sell at magic con only?

This is only a guess, but I'd say Magic-Con first, with the leftovers going to the D&D store.  It's even possible depending on size of print run and convention attendance that they'll sell out before it ever reaches the store.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:15:42 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:38:01 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.

It's not the quality that people complain about with their decks.  It's the reduced amount of originality that goes into the design that throws a wrench in the works from my perspective.  I've ranted about that elsewhere - go check it out.

I'm interested in their new decks.  Can't honestly say I'm looking forward to them, though.  There's enough solidly original designs either out now or in the pipeline that interest me far more.  For D&D, it's wait-n-see.

This is only a guess, but I'd say Magic-Con first, with the leftovers going to the D&D store.  It's even possible depending on size of print run and convention attendance that they'll sell out before it ever reaches the store.

I fully understand where your coming from. With the huge influx of fully customized decks, it is now quite unacceptable to change the AoS, Jokers and Back design anymore. I totally agree that with the huge amount of custom decks coming out, we really do have to be picky on what we buy.

However, I'll like to point out the decreasing quality that Dan and Dave's decks are coming out with. The Fulton Clip Joints were the first D&D deck that I got. To be frank, I was really excited on the decks as there was countless of good reviews on the previous Fantastique decks and the Smoke and Mirrors. However, I quickly realized that the FCJ were one of worst decks I handled. After getting the FCJ, I got the v5 and v6 to see how they felt and they felt leaps and bounds better than them. I don't know about the Chinatown deck, cause I didn't see the need to get such another deck.

Which brings to my final point, Mr Boyer, I totally agree with the lack of originality that D&D have . However, being mainly a flourisher, my only hope is that the magic con decks and v7 can bring back the awesome quality that the buck twins were renowned for, with paying the huge price tag that the old S&M have. Fully custom decks would be a plus, but judging from D&D, I don't really think it suits their style. I don't really know how to explain it , but I could never really imagine the bucks playing around with like, The Vortex Deck for example.

LOL, okay this is not really a response to Mr Don Boyer's post, but just a piece of my mind that I had been keeping for a long time. I'm
Just hoping that D&D comes out with a good quality deck again, whether it is fully custom or not :D
Check out my channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanDebozioSong?feature=mhee

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:09:21 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

However, I'll like to point out the decreasing quality that Dan and Dave's decks are coming out with. The Fulton Clip Joints were the first D&D deck that I got. To be frank, I was really excited on the decks as there was countless of good reviews on the previous Fantastique decks and the Smoke and Mirrors. However, I quickly realized that the FCJ were one of worst decks I handled. After getting the FCJ, I got the v5 and v6 to see how they felt and they felt leaps and bounds better than them. I don't know about the Chinatown deck, cause I didn't see the need to get such another deck.

but the v5 and v6 and plaid and fantastiqe and all that handle perfect because there dan and dave decks the clip joints and chinatown handle diffrent and worse because there brad fultons cards with his say of finish or stock everything that dan and dave make just them two is perfect quality always the plaids handle like a dream theres been no drop in quality for me you can rely on all there decks when its just them who made them

for me even if they bring out a lot of things there quality is always there and whatever there aiming for they do it well take the plaid with the old poker style swamp theme they did it perfect the box the cards the discoloured white the brighter reds the unique ad cards as well as everything else they have done fantastiqe with the animation on the back and the beautiful silver metallic ink
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:11:25 AM by zaganh »

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

I received an email from one of the Bucks stating that the deck will only be available at the Magic Con and won't be able to be purchased on their website...

I may be alone on this, but a fully custom deck is nice sometimes, but for me, it's often not done well at all...  Many times, people try too hard to re-invent the wheel and fail miserably... If you play cards (the reason playing cards exist) a fully custom deck is often disturbing and bothersome... Trying to figure out what is what... Why is the heart green... Why is the club red... I want to play cards, not spend two minutes trying to figure out what card I'm holding... As for magic, anything but original faces makes the deck look like a trick deck... Traditionally, vintage decks, and decks throughout most of USPCC history changed the AOS, Jokers, Backs, and Boxes... That is what made a deck of cards different and original... I feel the same goes today... The lack of support for a D&D deck based solely on non-customized court cards is ridiculous... A subtle... Subtle change in color is often very pleasing to the eye without being obtrusive... Give me a classic Bicycle 808 deck any day over half of these silly decks being produced...  For me the bubble has burst... My collecting has changed considerably regarding modern decks in just the last few months... Happy collecting everyone...

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:14:17 PM »

vmagic

Really, that is not the response I received from their website.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 11:20:11 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Really, that is not the response I received from their website.

What response did you get?

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »

vmagic

Let's just say that it contradicts what the Bucks supposedly said on their Twitter about their site selling them.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I am excited for the V7`s. Hopefully they handle the same as the V6. And if magic-con is on their website, ill get a couple but i dont really care.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:48 PM »

anep21

• Elite Member
Let's just say that it contradicts what the Bucks supposedly said on their Twitter about their site selling them.

i dont think they said they will selling them at their website. that's why i asked

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
anep21 said that he got an email saying that the Magic*Con decks will not be available on the Dan and Dave website. You said you got an email and say that it contradicts what was said on their Twitter about their site selling them. Why the vagueness? The tweet says, "We have several new decks in the works including a Magic-Con deck and the long awaiting v7." - nothing about their website or where the decks will or will not be sold.

Did the email say that they will be sold on the website after the convention or not? :-\
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 12:13:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I fully understand where your coming from. With the huge influx of fully customized decks, it is now quite unacceptable to change the AoS, Jokers and Back design anymore. I totally agree that with the huge amount of custom decks coming out, we really do have to be picky on what we buy.

Which brings to my final point, Mr Boyer, I totally agree with the lack of originality that D&D have . However, being mainly a flourisher, my only hope is that the magic con decks and v7 can bring back the awesome quality that the buck twins were renowned for, with paying the huge price tag that the old S&M have. Fully custom decks would be a plus, but judging from D&D, I don't really think it suits their style. I don't really know how to explain it , but I could never really imagine the bucks playing around with like, The Vortex Deck for example.

LOL, okay this is not really a response to Mr Don Boyer's post, but just a piece of my mind that I had been keeping for a long time. I'm
Just hoping that D&D comes out with a good quality deck again, whether it is fully custom or not :D

There have indeed been complaints here and there about quality.  Many think that the FCJ deck is one of their worst in terms of quality.  But on the whole, they're decent in the quality department - you'd never confuse the handling of a D&D deck with a pack of worn Rider Backs or a 99-cent store deck.

I'm not even talking about full customization.  S&M v1-3 were all black/white pairs, varying but similar back designs.  S&M v4-6 - for #4, they made an elegant simple design, then proceeded in 5 & 6 to make the EXACT same design, swapping a single color for another one.  That's not a new version, that's a new color, period.  Any real designer could have come up with that in a handful of minutes - they could have released all three colors at once and called them v4 green, blue and red.  The gods only know what they're planning for v7.

The Chinatown deck?  Get a Vintage Plaid, strip away the background color and make one little color change, and you have the faces of the Chinatown deck.  I'm not demanding full custom, but a little more originality.  And that whole thing about taking photos that make the deck look red when it's really sort of orange-y, that took some serious balls.

There's no denying that Fantastique was original - but while it was their deck, it was a third-party artist that designed it for them.  Tungstene was also very original - and completely not made by them at all, just imported by them from France.

but the v5 and v6 and plaid and fantastiqe and all that handle perfect because there dan and dave decks the clip joints and chinatown handle diffrent and worse because there brad fultons cards with his say of finish or stock everything that dan and dave make just them two is perfect quality always the plaids handle like a dream theres been no drop in quality for me you can rely on all there decks when its just them who made them

for me even if they bring out a lot of things there quality is always there and whatever there aiming for they do it well take the plaid with the old poker style swamp theme they did it perfect the box the cards the discoloured white the brighter reds the unique ad cards as well as everything else they have done fantastiqe with the animation on the back and the beautiful silver metallic ink

Hello?  Brad Fulton is the creative director at D&D, has been for over a year now.  Nothing new hits the virtual store shelves that hasn't had his imprimatur.  He's also been working with the Bucks since 2003.  He worked on the Trilogy, the Uzumaki book and that really wide Sybil In Motion photo.  There is no project the Bucks work on that doesn't have his involvement - there are no decks that were made just by the Bucks alone, not for over a year and probably longer.

You liked the Vintage Plaid so much - read what I said above about how the Chinatown deck practically has identical faces.  Also read what I said about the Fantastique deck - their best deck since Halloween (the only one to sell out since Halloween that's their own) and it was created by another designer, not in-house.

i dont think they said they will selling them at their website. that's why i asked

Guys, honestly?  Dan and Dave can say one thing now, something completely different after the convention.  So what?  I can practically guarantee that if the convention ends with hundreds or even dozens of leftover decks, they're not going to have a bonfire with them and roast weenies on a stick in the warm glow!  One way or another, they'll be sold.  It's simply a matter of whether there will be leftovers or if they'll sell out at the con before all the attendees get a crack at them.  I doubt they'd want the bad PR of leaving a bunch of attendees paying top dollar for their tickets to get left deckless and out in the cold - so I really doubt they're printing only enough to cover the believed number of attendees based on ticket sales.  USPC can't even offer that precise a count when making a deck - they write it into their contracts that you can end up with +/-10% of your ordered quantity and that you only pay for decks actually printed.

You can debate that until you're blue in the face, but you'll only be running around in circles until some time after the convention ends.

At worst, rather than selling the decks individually, they may use them to spike interested in either the Deck of the Month Club, their next Variety Box or both.  I could see it in a Variety Box, easily - a single gem wedged between eleven so-so or mediocre decks, forcing you to buy them all if you want just the one.  The did it with the earlier Magic Con deck, remember?

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 03:01:45 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Well Don, I think you win for longest post ever... I believe you are right... So get prepared for a garbage Variety Box with a Magic Con II Deck (alongside the Studs and Aviators)...

@Vmagic... Let's not start this again... I would very much like a Magic Con II Deck, and inquired with them as to whether or not they were going to be offering them on their site and I received an email that they were not... Posting "That's not what I heard" is irrelevant, because my email was from one of the Bucks, as I previously stated... I don't need to post his email here and as Don stated (and I agree) they very well may change their mind... However, as of right now they have no plans to sell the deck on their site... So simmer down and relax... If they change their mind, then those of us not attending the convention will have an opportunity to purchase the deck...

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 04:58:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well Don, I think you win for longest post ever... I believe you are right... So get prepared for a garbage Variety Box with a Magic Con II Deck (alongside the Studs and Aviators)...

That's not even CLOSE to my longest post!  :))

That's another gripe people have about the Bucks' products: the first and second Variety Boxes were something worth writing home about, while all of them since have been a lot more ho-hum.  That one Vintage Variety Box they gave away during the holidays was one that was truly worth drooling over, but there was literally only one and it was never for sale.

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Dan and Dave tweeted, "Magic-Con commemorative playing cards."

I love the look of this so far. I don't know what the side of a Magic-Con deck v1 looks like but I'm sure someone can confirm if this is a v2 or not.

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That is v2.

The v1's side is blue.
http://robincarey.com/magic-con-cards-review/

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
It looks lik a foil box, with many "facets" that shine differently depeding on the angle of the light. I love it!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 07:25:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It looks lik a foil box, with many "facets" that shine differently depeding on the angle of the light. I love it!

Foil?  I'm not seeing that at all.  Just different shades of blue striped across the surface.

Am I the only one annoyed by stupid peeks that reveal something like the side of a deck box and nothing else?  It's like looking at a nude photo of a gorgeous woman - and all you see is the big toenail.

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »

vmagic

For the record, as I mentioned before, I emailed Dan & Dave's website about the Magic Con decks and they told me that they would in fact be selling a small quantity and that anything anyone else was posting was incorrect.

Re: magic con v2 confirmed
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Again vmagic seems to have the scoop... Must be all your connections... Nevermind what the Bucks say... Listen to vmagic...

Not to alienate anyone else, but I swear... I've grown to appreciate D&D's decks, but they could release a brown deck of cards and call them the turd deck and I wouldn't be able to count the people that would just be in love with the deck and buy bricks...  The showed the side of a box people... Relax...

Re: magic con v2 confirmed
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
the lip balm looks cool