Blue Crown 1st Anniv. Party/Vaudeville Deck NOW AVAILABLE

Author (Read 26460 times)

Blue Crown 1st Anniv. Party/Vaudeville Deck NOW AVAILABLE
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Got home a while ago from Fantasma in Manhattan, where Blue Crown hosted their first anniversary party.  There was one guy from South Carolina (remember that contest with hotel and airfare to NYC for the party?), many magicians (I know I saw at least one Buck brother subconsciously weave-shuffling a pack of S&M v6!), got to meet Alex Pandrea and Kevin Reylek, watched some semi-sober magic performances (ROTFLMAO), and...

I got to see THIS: their NEW DECK, due out by month's end - VAUDEVILLE!

Thanks to Alex for giving me permission for posting these pictures here.  He requested I not photograph the uncut tuck box sheet - it was a prototype and didn't have any of the foil and other details that the finished product will.  Honestly, even without the foil, the box looks REALLY nice!  I did get you these two shots of the uncut in a frame.  I think you guys are going to enjoy these - they have the aged patina of an 1800 or an Americana without the dirt and grunge - it's like you found this deck sitting in a vaudevillian's magic cabinet, unopened for the past hundred years.

Enjoy, and I'll post more tomorrow, probably during work.  I am WIPED OUT.

(PS: more was revealed to me about upcoming new features at BC, but I'm keeping it under my hat since Alex and Kevin weren't announcing them publicly at the party just yet.  Just keep your eyes open!)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:26:11 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Blue Crown 1st Anniv. Party - AND THEIR NEW DECK!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
they fronts on the cards look cool i'm looking forward to see the backs of them.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:33:46 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i dun really like the court cards .. who know might look better in real life but other than that it really nice .. hope to see what the tuck box and back design look like

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:42:02 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I want only the owls :bosswalk: :bosswalk:

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:34:20 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
They paid an artist to make a fully custom deck, they didn't cheap out with the USPCC. I don't care if it doesn't suit my personal tastes (it totally would if the court cards didn't have their brown background). TBC clearly is taking a step in the right direction, unlike that other company I absolutely can't stand.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:49:42 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
don can you take a clearer picture of the ace of spades and joker pls ?? is there any reveal on the joker ? i cant really see it

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Eh it looks pretty good from the pictures. It's nice that it is all custom! But it's a little hard to tell the detail from the pictures since they are a little out of focus. Excited to see more from TBC soon!

(PS: more was revealed to me about upcoming new features at BC, but I'm keeping it under my hat since Alex and Kevin weren't announcing them publicly at the party just yet.  Just keep your eyes open!)
If you're not going to share there is no need to mention that.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:18:18 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Looks cool... can't really say anything else at this point.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
After all that whining in the past months about the lack of custom court cards, that's all you guys have to say? After I saw those pictures I expected pages after pages of celebration and love letters to TBC. :-\

@Digipunk, Don would have to confirm, but I don't think this is the same deck as the owls we saw a while ago. :P
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:10:25 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@Digipunk, Don would have to confirm, but I don't think this is the same deck as the owls we saw a while ago. :P

I see, I remember that designer's style. Hope Don bring good news to us ;)

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:15:47 AM »

Gareth

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Kickstarter:
Not convinced on the court cards from this distance - but at least they're a custom design ;)  - not recoloured bicycle faces.
Do like the small pips/indices - the best thing about the CARC Erdnase Bee decks.. :)

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:04:30 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I dont know if I like the Court cards... They look nice and the artwork is great but they dont seem like my style. I dont think I really like the color of the background of the Court cards. Now the number cards I really like. I'm so glad that its fully custom and they look great! The back design will decide how many I order. Nice job Blue Crown!

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:34 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Looks like a cool deck, certainly different to what we normally see (yay) fully custom (yay) great artwork (yay) so in the end I have ti give them an A+ for effort there. Not precisely my style either but I love that they did the hard work! I'll get one.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Woah! Definitely a must have! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the photos you took so I hope you post them soon.  :D
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Woah! That looks really neat. Does any one have any other pictures or info (nudge nudge ... release date?)

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Woah! That looks really neat. Does any one have any other pictures or info (nudge nudge ... release date?)
These are the only pictures that I've seen. And the release date, like Don said, is supposed to be sometime the month.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hey guys!  The party last night was a total blast!  We had TONS of people show up, including both Buck twins, David Roth, John Born, Ricky Smith, Tony Chang, Ben Train, Chris Mayhew, and many others!  We'll be posting photos soon on Facebook, etc.

It was great to meet you Don, I wish we could've had more time to chat!

We unveiled the Vaudeville deck as a sneak peek for those who attended the party, and the response was very positive, which was gratifying.  We've spent several months on this design, so it's nice to finally be able to share it!  Every single element of this deck was designed from scratch, it's 100% custom.  We think you're going to love it!

The deck is inspired by the Vaudeville era (naturally) and the kings are modeled after Houdini, Alexander, Thurston, and Carter.

We'll naturally be unveiling more detailed shots in the coming weeks.  The deck will be available later this month.

PS - This is totally unrelated to the other deck that was leaked a few weeks back.  Different artists, etc.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys!  The party last night was a total blast!  We had TONS of people show up, including both Buck twins, David Roth, John Born, Ricky Smith, Tony Chang, Ben Train, Chris Mayhew, and many others!  We'll be posting photos soon on Facebook, etc.

It was great to meet you Don, I wish we could've had more time to chat!

We unveiled the Vaudeville deck as a sneak peek for those who attended the party, and the response was very positive, which was gratifying.  We've spent several months on this design, so it's nice to finally be able to share it!  Every single element of this deck was designed from scratch, it's 100% custom.  We think you're going to love it!

The deck is inspired by the Vaudeville era (naturally) and the kings are modeled after Houdini, Alexander, Thurston, and Carter.

We'll naturally be unveiling more detailed shots in the coming weeks.  The deck will be available later this month.

PS - This is totally unrelated to the other deck that was leaked a few weeks back.  Different artists, etc.

Thanks, Kevin - you've got my number, give me a shout sometime!  Best to call in the evening - I work overnights so I sleep in the daytime!

My photos don't really do the deck justice - it's absolutely beautiful in person.  It's hard to tell from my photo, but the pips are customized - they looked drawn with a three-dimensional jewel-like effect.

don can you take a clearer picture of the ace of spades and joker pls ?? is there any reveal on the joker ? i cant really see it

Only if I go back in time to the party last night...  I can post higher-res images of the same two images; that's it.  It will be on Blue Crown's FB page soon, with much better images.  This is more of a teaser before the full promo campaign.

Woah! Definitely a must have! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the photos you took so I hope you post them soon.  :D

That's it - only those two!  Keep an eye on their FB page!

If you're not going to share there is no need to mention that.

Think of that announcement as a heads-up that MORE is coming than just the new deck.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:06:47 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
After all that whining in the past months about the lack of custom court cards, that's all you guys have to say?..

+1. Like development of BC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Looks like it will be a pretty cool deck. looking forward to see the backs.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Yeah the backs could make or break this deck for me! I also am hoping to see some less blurry pictures of the fronts. Maybe I'll like them a little more when I can see detail!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah the backs could make or break this deck for me! I also am hoping to see some less blurry pictures of the fronts. Maybe I'll like them a little more when I can see detail!

The backs (I wish I'd gotten the double backer in the shot) are nice, with artwork reminiscent of something you'd expect to see on a fortune-telling machine - there's a crystal ball in the center, and the double-backer actually uses it for a super-subtle card reveal that's totally killer.  I think you'll be pleased with it; the back art is very consistent with the front art, with the predominant color being brown, if I'm remembering correctly.  (Yes, it's not a one-color back, or even two from the looks of it.  Probably four!)

And did I neglect to mention that the box art is gorgeous even BEFORE they added foil, embossing, etc.?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:28:03 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 03:05:59 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

The backs (I wish I'd gotten the double backer in the shot) are nice, with artwork reminiscent of something you'd expect to see on a fortune-telling machine - there's a crystal ball in the center, and the double-backer actually uses it for a super-subtle card reveal that's totally killer.  I think you'll be pleased with it; the back art is very consistent with the front art, with the predominant color being brown, if I'm remembering correctly.  (Yes, it's not a one-color back, or even two from the looks of it.  Probably four!)

And did I neglect to mention that the box art is gorgeous even BEFORE they added foil, embossing, etc.?
It sounds cool from that description.

IDK why people are not liking the color. It is something new and different, I think it looks cool.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 04:36:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It sounds cool from that description.

IDK why people are not liking the color. It is something new and different, I think it looks cool.

I didn't take the best picture of the one-sheet; couldn't since it was framed and under what I believe was a sheet of plastic.  But I don't know if they're getting that it's a patina-look deck.  Imagine a Bicycle Series 1800 deck face with zero dirt and grunge but the same aged look.  A better example of this clean, aged look would be the faces of the 1889 Texan '45s.  It's meant to glorify the days of vaudeville, and meant to look like it's from that era, making it about a hundred years old, give or take a decade.  But it's not something that's been sitting at the bottom of a gold mine or under the porch of an old saloon - more like something pulled out of one of Thurston's magic cabinets, undiscovered until it went up for auction!

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's looking like that Vaudeville deck may be coming out tonight...  Borrowed this image from CBJ.