New Deck? - D&D Chinatown?

Author (Read 34652 times)

Re: New Deck? - D&D Chinatown?
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos

The Chinatown would go well with the film noir type of theme Dan, Dave, and Fulton are going with. You've got their first deck that has the classic black and white film type of look. To follow that up you have this deck with the Chinatown  deck that has the film noir with a dash of color feel (Keeping in mind Chinatown was the most well known film noir movie with color).

This isn't a Chinatown deck though... It is the year of the dragon deck as brad has hinted at MANY times.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
@John that is true! haha it is the year of the dragon deck but it has that Chinatown feel. I guess I messed up there. I still think that is the direction they could be going. But hey I could be wrong!

Everybody thought the new Dan and Dave deck was going to be called "U.S. Regulation Playing Cards" and they ended up being the "Vintage Plaid" deck. So who knows!

I'm just taking my best guys with the puzzle pieces I have
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
@John that is true! haha it is the year of the dragon deck but it has that Chinatown feel. I guess I messed up there. I still think that is the direction they could be going. But hey I could be wrong!

Everybody thought the new Dan and Dave deck was going to be called "U.S. Regulation Playing Cards" and they ended up being the "Vintage Plaid" deck. So who knows!

I'm just taking my best guys with the puzzle pieces I have

It is still an epic idea when i play it in my head though, and as others have said this forum is about opinions, and yours was a very creative one :).

*In general*

Guys i hope you realize that D&D contact artists to get these designs. As moon_exe and i talked about maybe, and this is a long run, dan and dave are getting all of these requested designs and because they love their money they are just printed them instead of letting them go to waste
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
I don't really understand what they are trying to do by releasing a new design every month. Although if anyone actually knew how many decks they kept in their warehouse, I would assume E and TH11 still have more decks.  Maybe this is the Buck Twins making a bid to compete with the larger sellers, (although they stock TH11 products).  I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but when you look at the tie-ins between these companies.....TH11 and USPCC are officially working together while D&D stocks TH11 products (I am assuming they have some time of deal worked out)....sounds like we have some alliances being formed...and has anyone noticed Ellusionist is not in the picture with the other 3? Sorry for getting off topic....

From what I see so far.....I like this design.  This could be like someone else said though....Tuck box is awesome...cards suck.

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I don't really understand what they are trying to do by releasing a new design every month.
Did you read John's post above? D&D decks are produced by a number of different artists, they only print and sell them.

From what I see so far.....I like this design.  This could be like someone else said though....Tuck box is awesome...cards suck.
Brad Fulton has already proven that he can design a good deck. Look at the Clip Joints. Do you think they're all about the box?
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
@Moon...If their business model is to produce all of the different designs artists present to them...then we all better buy everything they produce right now because they are going to be out of business.  As to Fulton's designs, I'm not discrediting the guy....I love the FCJ's...but we have only seen 1 design from him.  We haven't seen anything but bits and pieces of this new deck.  If you will notice I said I like the design so far....meaning the whole design could be awesome or not be.  Like Good@Sabacc said, There is no point in arguing over the merrits or flaws of a deck none of us have seen.  Over all...my post questioned the business side of D&D....I was not questioning their value as artists or art promoters.

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
well its out tomorow so we will all all know =D i hope the extra cards are not writing and hope somthing cooler as there writing in the fulton and the plaid extra cards and im looking foward to the brickbox too

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:57 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
@Moon...If their business model is to produce all of the different designs artists present to them...then we all better buy everything they produce right now because they are going to be out of business.  As to Fulton's designs, I'm not discrediting the guy....I love the FCJ's...but we have only seen 1 design from him.  We haven't seen anything but bits and pieces of this new deck.  If you will notice I said I like the design so far....meaning the whole design could be awesome or not be.  Like Good@Sabacc said, There is no point in arguing over the merrits or flaws of a deck none of us have seen.  Over all...my post questioned the business side of D&D....I was not questioning their value as artists or art promoters.
I'm not gonna argue about the design for the reasons that have been brought up before.
As for D&D, my point is that with the decks being produced by different artists, it's not accurate to say that "Dan and Dave" release a deck a month. Alternating between artists allows them to keep the same working time on a deck as if they were releasing one every 3 months with a single artist, for example. Yet people keep arguing that a month is too short, while in reality it can take much more than a month to see two decks from the SAME artist.
I'll have to agree that the S&M series went a bit too far. But for everything else, I personally don't see a problem anywhere.
The fact that they make money out of it doesn't make it a bad thing. They're a business. Should we expect anything else?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:06:57 PM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:24 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
I know Dan and Dave are in business to make money....I never disputed that fact in any of my posts. I was questioning their decision to suddenly release a deck a month which I find unusual for them.  I understand you are saying since this is designed by Brad Fulton this is not really Dan and Dave's deck.  I could disagree and say since this is an orginial design promoted and sold on the D&D site..no matter who designed it...it is a D&D deck...but I won't.  I will say I agree with you...this is not such a bad thing with all the new releases.  It keeps these cards from selling out in 24hrs and more people get a chance to enjoy them. Either way I'm looking forward to the release!

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2012, 02:33:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Brad Fulton is a long-time collaborator with the Bucks - he's the one who inspired the creation and naming of the "Smoke and Mirrors" series.  I don't know that you could look upon him like a contract artist or something of the sort - he's part of the team.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Brad Fulton tweeted, "Tomorrow Morning we will officially Enter the Dragon. #YearoftheDragon www.dananddave.com"

So that could mean a morning release but I don't know....

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Brad Fulton tweeted, "Tomorrow Morning we will officially Enter the Dragon. #YearoftheDragon www.dananddave.com"

Chances are, I believe it's going to be 8:00 PST - I just have a hunch. As far as pricing goes, I also think that it's going to be the same price as the regular Fulton's - if it's limited it might be a bit more. I'll try to make the release and see if I can get these at my store for pre-order - For all those who want this deck at a lower-than-retail price. :D
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Chances are, I believe it's going to be 8:00 PST - I just have a hunch. As far as pricing goes, I also think that it's going to be the same price as the regular Fulton's - if it's limited it might be a bit more. I'll try to make the release and see if I can get these at my store for pre-order - For all those who want this deck at a lower-than-retail price. :D
Its definitely going to be limited.... all D&D's decks are limited so far.

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Dan & Dave's last morning release was at 12.00pm PST. So if this indeed is another morning release like Brad's tweet hints at that's the time I would be guessing (even though this is technically the afternoon haha)

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2012, 08:05:42 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
But since this is new year. It could be a midnight release.
Morning might means the start of the day.

« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2012, 08:20:35 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Another pic! Im getting excited!  :D

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
So there are 2 colors. This might be the new series cus they hinted something like smoke and dragon

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
...two colors, or is it simply lying next to a Fulton's Clip Joint deck?

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
So there are 2 colors. This might be the new series cus they hinted something like smoke and dragon

I'm pretty sure that the Fulton's Clip Joint deck. Could still be a series or may just be since it has the same designer. Who knows?  ???

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
That is indeed a Clip Joints box. It doesn't have the same design guys, chill. ::)
I grabbed my deck to compare as soon as I saw the picture.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:43:26 PM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer

Or you know, that is the Fulton's clip joint box, but why would that be logical, its only the last deck that has Fulton has designed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:46:11 PM by john »

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
I paid for a membership on the Dan and Dave website and we are suppose to get advanced notice of releases.  I just joined so I'm waiting to see just how much advanced notice we get on this release.  It says somewhere on the site we are suppose to get advanced buying opportunities so we shall see....although anyone who is also a member feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this. 

Anyway If... and I stress IF...this is a "Fulton's Series" that would be awesome.  I love Film Noire and thats the direction Brad Fulton seems to be going with the FCJ's and maybe with this 2nd release!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:06:41 PM by munro159 »

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Haha! I called it! Resemblance in some way! Although I don't believe it will be in two colors, it's just standing beside a regular Clip Join because the sides are not the same. This dragon deck is just the Siamese Twin of the regular CJ deck.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Chinatown and LA noir stories are practically linked at the hip - it makes perfect sense for this to be a deck in the "Fulton's" series.  What remains to be see are the FREAKIN' CARDS, ALREADY!  We've seen the box enough, thanks - but you aren't selling just boxes for f$#%'s sake.

Excuse my potty mouth.

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Ahhh man just 1 more sleep until they are released :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.