You are Here:

Poll

Which side of the uncut sheet would you show in a frame?

Front
17 (58.6%)
Back
12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author (Read 4774 times)

« on: January 01, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Re: Which side of the uncut sheet would you show in a frame?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
i would get a frame that was clear on both sides and flip the frame depending on the mood i was in ^^ but if just normal frame depends what deck it is like the iaocp the back ^^

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:49:17 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
For me it depends on whether the faces are custom or not, if the faces are custom and i love them, i would show the faces. If they aren't custom i would display the back.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
If the faces were custom, and there was a double-backer, then I'd display the front.
There's no need to see card after card of just the back design, when you could see the back design plus 55 other custom cards. If it was a deck like Fantastique (where the back designs are all slightly different), I might choose differently, but I'm currently more in favour of showing the fronts. I mean, look at the Curator deck, or the Fulton's Clip Joint deck. I'd much rather see the faces than the backs.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It depends. I would often say the front of cards. I wouldn't often show the backs of cards unless they are exceptional! One example of this would be the Fantastique where every couple of cards you see the change on the backs in order to make the flipbook. Cards such as the Curator Deck are perfect for showing the fronts because each is so unique.

Overall it's personal preference that decides it and for me that's usually the fronts.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
I would show the front, but when i own my own home i will have like a little window cut-out which will fit an uncut sheet sandwichs in plexi or glass and it can spin
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 05:09:40 PM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Depending on the cards of course but probably 90% I'd show the front of and hope that there was a double backer (if not I'm sure we can put an ad card from the same deck in the frame somewhere showing the back)
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It would largely depend on the deck.  Given the option, I'd create a double-sided display that allowed me to show either or both sides when I wanted.

I guess it's a good reason, among others, why I don't collect uncut sheets!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
For me it depends on which side is more artistic. If one side has a custom back, but standard faces, I'd of course frame the back. Given the chance that both sides are customized, I'd go with the faces. Too much repetition for me doesn't sit right.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
depend on the uncut sheet .. for example fantastique i would frame the back and for style the front and if i can get a mana i would fame the back

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 11:36:12 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
it depends on the side that is better to show

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 12:28:50 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
If the faces were custom, and there was a double-backer, then I'd display the front.
There's no need to see card after card of just the back design, when you could see the back design plus 55 other custom cards. If it was a deck like Fantastique (where the back designs are all slightly different), I might choose differently, but I'm currently more in favour of showing the fronts. I mean, look at the Curator deck, or the Fulton's Clip Joint deck. I'd much rather see the faces than the backs.

he took the words from my mouth.. :-X  yeah I agree, I wouldn't want to display the backs because they're all the same unless there's a difference like the Fantastique deck, i'll prefer if the cards were all different even if the fronts are standard with bicycle court card and pips
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 05:14:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Now that I actually own an uncut sheet, I know which side of that one I plan to show.

The deck is Split Spades Lions blue.  The front is not only autographed by David Blaine and personalized to me, but the deck was printed in the same order it was boxed - Tamariz Mnemonica stack, if I'm right...  I get a piece of art, an autograph and a study guide (if/when I get into using stacks) all in one!

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Now that I actually own an uncut sheet, I know which side of that one I plan to show.

The deck is Split Spades Lions blue.  The front is not only autographed by David Blaine and personalized to me, but the deck was printed in the same order it was boxed - Tamariz Mnemonica stack, if I'm right...  I get a piece of art, an autograph and a study guide (if/when I get into using stacks) all in one!

it would be better to frame the front as it is a order .. the tamariz mnemonica stack .. so it will be unique and the autograph

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
and a study guide (if/when I get into using stacks)

Do it.  It's worth it.  Even if you only use it occasionally.  The look on a sharp spectators face when you ribbon spread the cards, ask them to take one, then casually pick up the deck and cut it where they took the card from glimpsing the bottom.  "6 of Diamonds".  It's so simple, and so mind baffling.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »

jriffel

• True Member
I have an uncut V6 that is signed on the back corner card.  And the front does not have a double backer.  I plan to frame the fronts up and fold up (gasp!) the corner cards to show one full card back plus the signature.  This will cover over some of the front numbered cards but wont cover any of the courts.
I will do the same type of thing with my Desjgn uncuts, but I have two colors of uncuts.  I will mount both of the uncuts together.  Lower right corner I will fold over one deck showing one color. The top left, I will fold over both to show the second color.  I don't have all that much wall space, so showing both decks together will work out well.  The only problem will be finding a mat that will work with both colors.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:09:08 AM by jriffel »

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 10:11:40 AM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Yep, totally depends on the particular deck/sheet.  I have 3 uncut sheets hanging on my walls.  Lefty Deck and Ghost Deck show the faces, and White Arrco shows the back.

Ideally, I'd like to have a double-sided frame that I can change depending on the mood of a particular day, but that's somewhere down the line.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
it depends on the side that is better to show
What kind of answer is that? I think that is the pips or faces are custom, I would rather show the front.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Right now I have 3 uncuts on my wall

S&M V6 Deck- Back Design is showing
Monarchs Deck- Back Design is showing
Style Deck- Fronts are showing

Soon I will be framing my DeckONE Uncut Sheet and will be showing the fronts.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
As long as there is a double-backer card, I'd definitely want to display the faces, but unfortunately many of the uncuts out there are pretty "boring" as they are just standard Bicycle. Guess that's why I don't have any on the wall right now.

Mildly related, I have to decide where to sign the Tendril uncuts. I was thinking the face side and on the double-backer card or the gaff, which would both be in the lower right corner according to my proof. Any preferences for where that happens?
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
As long as there is a double-backer card, I'd definitely want to display the faces, but unfortunately many of the uncuts out there are pretty "boring" as they are just standard Bicycle. Guess that's why I don't have any on the wall right now.

Mildly related, I have to decide where to sign the Tendril uncuts. I was thinking the face side and on the double-backer card or the gaff, which would both be in the lower right corner according to my proof. Any preferences for where that happens?

Eh, I don't really care to much where it's signed. It'll look good as long as it's not in the direct center of the page or across the king of hearts face for example.

I'm getting a Revision 1 uncut and I play on showing the faces of the cards when I frame it.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

This is just my preference, but the double backer would be my choice. Speaking of Tendril uncut sheets.... that would probably be the coolest uncut sheet I've ever seen! I hope I can get one after the Kickstarter or something because right now I don't have the money  :-*

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
This is just my preference, but the double backer would be my choice. Speaking of Tendril uncut sheets.... that would probably be the coolest uncut sheet I've ever seen! I hope I can get one after the Kickstarter or something because right now I don't have the money  :-*

I will almost certainly have a small number available via my website after the Kickstarter. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

I will almost certainly have a small number available via my website after the Kickstarter. :)
Ok good to hear. I can just imagine it on my wall.......  ::)

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 10:55:04 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I'm really tempted to up my pledge to the 6 plus an uncut. Although if I do that I give up access to the website about the new deck from Encarded. It's also a little bit more expensive. Decisions, decisions. Regardless it will be one of the best looking uncuts!

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I thought the website and updates were for pledges 25$ and above... Isn't the 6 deck + uncut sheet more 75$? I think you should sign the Tendril uncut sheet on the back in the bottom left corner.

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I thought the website and updates were for pledges 25$ and above... Isn't the 6 deck + uncut sheet more 75$? I think you should sign the Tendril uncut sheet on the back in the bottom left corner.

You're right I didn't notice that!! I may just have to up my pledge. It's a pretty sweet deal overall! Thanks for the info Nathan

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Here's a thought - sign the margin on BOTH sides, giving people the option to display either side and see the signature!  Most painters sign the lower right corner; sounds good to me.