You are Here:
My cards bow for a period, how can I fix this?

Author (Read 3687 times)

My cards bow for a period, how can I fix this?
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:43:55 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
So whenever I take out a new pack of cards and start breaking them in, they are usually fantastic for about 4 days, then they get this awkward bow in them.  It's like the cards are permanently concave or convex, and they can 'pop' in and out.  I'm sure someone on here knows what I'm talking about.  I keep using my cards and a week later or so, they are back into usable condition, this happens with every new deck I open and use, and I keep them in a porper clip.  Anyone know what I can do to prevent this or is it just a phase all new decks go through, and they need to be worn in.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

Re: My cards bow for a period, how can I fix this?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think what you are experiencing is warping. Its pretty easy to fix usually.
To fix my decks, I put them in a porper clip for a day or so. They cost around $30 which may seem like a lot, but it straightens the cards AND protects them!

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:02:54 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Please re-read my post.

... and I keep them in a porper clip.  ...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:03:52 PM by AceGambit »
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Please re-read my post.

... and I keep them in a porper clip.  ...
Does this happen to most of your decks? And how long do you put the deck in a porper?
And do you wash your hands well before you use your cards?

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I know this is kinda like a Porber Clip, but I once saw this thing called a deck press. I saw a really nice one for about $150, but you put your deck in the press, and screw the clamp until the cards are completely flat, and apparently they are as good as new. Now I know this might not be what you're looking for, and although I don't own one, I've heard great things about them.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 09:35:52 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
This happens to almost every single (non plastic) deck I've ever owned.  I own a regular porper, an Arcane porper, and an E stainless.  I've found it doesnt matter what type of deck it is (standard bike, bee, tally, master's, ghost, arcane, artifice, fulton's, etc), or what clip I put them in, it happens after a few days of use, and goes away after about a week and a half of use.  I usually only have 1 deck that I carry around with me, and I keep it in the porper clip whenever not in use.

Edit: I almost always keep my hands clean when handling a deck.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:38:19 PM by AceGambit »

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
This happens to almost every single (non plastic) deck I've ever owned.  I own a regular porper, an Arcane porper, and an E stainless.  I've found it doesnt matter what type of deck it is (standard bike, bee, tally, master's, ghost, arcane, artifice, fulton's, etc), or what clip I put them in, it happens after a few days of use, and goes away after about a week and a half of use.  I usually only have 1 deck that I carry around with me, and I keep it in the porper clip whenever not in use.

Edit: I almost always keep my hands clean when handling a deck.
Do your hands sweat a lot when using the cards? And do you use the deck a ton each day?

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Card presses seem good but are horribly overpriced.  if you're in any way handy (or eager), you can easily make one with some butterfly nuts and 2 pieces of wood/plastic/whatever.  Putting them on a hard surface with something flat and heavy on top with also work.  I would also check to make sure your clips have a good grip on the cards; you can usually bend them a bit so they're tighter.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Do your hands sweat a lot when using the cards? And do you use the deck a ton each day?

Occasionally my hands will sweat when using the cards, but I know that moisture can cause a deck to warp, so if that happens I try to keep my hands dry, but I do acknowledge that this could be the problem.  Is there something better than a porper clip that I could use.  I've heard of deck presses, but never seen one for sale somewhere.  What baffles me is that it happens to all my decks, but after I keep using them, it goes away.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Occasionally my hands will sweat when using the cards, but I know that moisture can cause a deck to warp, so if that happens I try to keep my hands dry, but I do acknowledge that this could be the problem.  Is there something better than a porper clip that I could use.  I've heard of deck presses, but never seen one for sale somewhere.  What baffles me is that it happens to all my decks, but after I keep using them, it goes away.
This may sound weird but try opening a new deck, but use gloves every time you use that deck. If it still warps... I have no idea what the problem is. But if it doesnt warp, then sweat could be the thing!

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi

This may sound weird but try opening a new deck, but use gloves every time you use that deck. If it still warps... I have no idea what the problem is. But if it doesnt warp, then sweat could be the thing!

Uhh... I don't think I could comfortably handle a deck with gloves on... also, I would look special during a performance.  I'm a performer first, collector second, I appreciate the advice, but I think I'll pass on the gloves.

Card presses seem good but are horribly overpriced.  if you're in any way handy (or eager), you can easily make one with some butterfly nuts and 2 pieces of wood/plastic/whatever.  Putting them on a hard surface with something flat and heavy on top with also work.  I would also check to make sure your clips have a good grip on the cards; you can usually bend them a bit so they're tighter.

So that's all a card press is?  Just a smooth vice?  Geeze, I could make something like that easily.  Hmm, methinks I got a project on my hands!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Uhh... I don't think I could comfortably handle a deck with gloves on... also, I would look special during a performance.  I'm a performer first, collector second, I appreciate the advice, but I think I'll pass on the gloves.

Well, I mean when practicing... not performing lol. I think you should just try it with a new standard bike deck. If sweat is the problem, I'm sure theres another way to help it

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Alright, maybe I'll give that a try.  I'm off to bed (work in the morning).  Thanks guys for all the help.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 10:09:41 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
It might be the country u are in. The humidity plays a part too.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Yeah +2 pts for New England Weather...  Boston is close to the ocean, the salt air probably can't be good for the cards, that's a good point.

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:04:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeah +2 pts for New England Weather...  Boston is close to the ocean, the salt air probably can't be good for the cards, that's a good point.

Deck presses aren't always overpriced.  Here's a $35 model that can hold two decks at a time - I happen to own this one.

http://www.tannens.com/shop//cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6367

I feel a deck press does a better job of flattening a deck than a Porper clip.  You can apply as much or as little pressure as you need with a press, and you get more even flattening whereas a Porper flattens only where it makes contact with the deck, on one side.

If you're really on a budget, use some old, heavy books instead.

If you're having a lot of moisture-related issues, try using Aladdins Smooth Finish.  Moisture-resistant stock.  Treating cards with fanning powder can help as well, as the powder has some mild dessicating properties.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:06:56 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:08 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

Deck presses aren't always overpriced.  Here's a $35 model that can hold two decks at a time - I happen to own this one.

While $35 isn't too bad, I can't help but notice that the materials used to make it would cost under $5 and the only steps to making it would be to drill 2 holes.

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 09:19:37 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Where do you live? I have noticed that I have this issue once in a while as well, and it's directly related to the humidity level in the air. I live in Southwest Florida, and on those humid days my decks are more likely to have that convex warp, but sometimes turning on the AC or something in the house (which reduces the humidity) gets them all back to normal.

If you live in a humid place, that may be part of the problem.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Yeah I could definitely make that.  2 plate covers for electrical boxes ($1.39 ea.), 2 Bolts ($0.60 ea), and 2 Wing Nuts ($0.45 ea).  I already own a drill and a bottle of denatured alcohol to smooth the finish on the metal.  I think I'll put one together, see what it does to the cards.

Where do you live?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:20:34 AM by AceGambit »

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

While $35 isn't too bad, I can't help but notice that the materials used to make it would cost under $5 and the only steps to making it would be to drill 2 holes.

Take two small pieces of one-eighth inch thick steel, cut to size, drill appropriate holes, paint the plates, add the screws, stick rubber feet on the bottom.  You'd need a saw to cut the steel, no?  Or do they sell steel in convenient 3.5" x 3.5" slabs?

It's only easy to make if you can get the right materials and the right tools, neither of which is free, and you know how to use them.  But yes, if you have all that, you're good to go.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:25:08 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi

Or do they sell steel in convenient 3.5" x 3.5" slabs?

They do.  Electrical boxes, for Romex, the junction boxes in your ceiling, the plate covers are about that size.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Or do they sell steel in convenient 3.5" x 3.5" slabs?

They do.  Electrical boxes, for Romex, the junction boxes in your ceiling, the plate covers are about that size.

But isn't that some fairly rough metal?  My dad was an electrician.  It would need some serious finishing to be totally smooth and flat, no?

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Its nothing some sand paper, denatured alcohol, and high gloss spray paint wouldn't fix very easily.

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »

Angel_magic

• Forum Regular
Yeah I could definitely make that.  2 plate covers for electrical boxes ($1.39 ea.), 2 Bolts ($0.60 ea), and 2 Wing Nuts ($0.45 ea).  I already own a drill and a bottle of denatured alcohol to smooth the finish on the metal.  I think I'll put one together, see what it does to the cards.
Hmmm i'll take one please ;)
Check out my thread with a BUNCH of rare decks and accessories for sale!
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=11812.0

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Then go for it.  Actually, if you really want to do this right, you should try creating something more like THIS:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/125252-090412/Antique-Wooden-Playing-Card-Press

Now THIS is a REAL card press.  You could store an entire brick in there.  Buying an antique model isn't cheap, and the modern ones don't have this level of workmanship to them, nor do they have the same capacity.  With some wood and some woodworking skills, you could build an AWESOME press for the real pro magician.

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I have this problem on many of my decks, especially the Cincinnati ones. I find there to be no solution except repeatedly springing the deck in the opposite direction of the bowing. Then spring more in the other direction.

If you spring correctly (from the corners) you do end up getting a bit of a tilted deck, but you can actually practice with that whereas with the warp, I find myself unable to do something as simply as a thumb fan.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I spring for the corners, and I spring a lot... My cards do have a slight curve pretty early in their life ::) it doesn't seem to prevent me from fanning, though.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I spring for the corners, and I spring a lot... My cards do have a slight curve pretty early in their life ::) it doesn't seem to prevent me from fanning, though.
The tilt doesn't, but the bowing fixed by springing does prevent a good looking fan.
Forum Founder.