You are Here:
Hochman NY49e The New Poker Squeezer Additional Information

Author (Read 3357 times)

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I thought I would share a picture of the original box for this possibly unique deck (front and back of the OB are the same image) as well as show a picture of the frequently found NYCC Best Bower, thus, clarifying the description that appears in the Hochman encyclopedia which states that the NY49 joker was issued with this deck but does not mention which one. The back design is their "celebrated Angel back" in red. This back design also appears on the back of their wonderful pop-up advertising calendars for 1899 & 1900. I cannot explain why this was issued as a "Seconds" deck. It is conceivable, given the significance of the number 35 with NYCC, that this apparent "anniversary" version of the Saladee Patent deck (NY44) was deliberately issued 35 years later utilizing their Squeezer brand which is, coincidentally, number 35. This same number also appears prominently on the front of their fabulous "Here's a Miss Deal" trade card, copyright 1884, which has the clever rhyme on the back relating to "The Game of Whist."