You are Here:
Club 808 "Design-a-Deck" Winner

Author (Read 558 times)

Club 808 "Design-a-Deck" Winner
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »

pmkane

• The art of seeing what is invisible to others.

• Facebook:
Hello all!

I've taken the advice of some posters within the forum and decided to mention my new project here on this thread . . . I am Paul Michael Kane, a designer and photographer. I was humbled earlier this month by earning a 'win' from the Club 808 folks and their "Design-a-Deck" contest. I had been kicking around the idea of doing a deck of cards featuring my photography for a while and when I heard about this contest, I knew it was this that would kick the project into high gear - especially since I found out about it only 3 days before the contest ended! So I whipped this design together using different camera parts in the design concept . . . I am now in the planning stages of finishing this deck for a Kickstarter Campaign. The face of the cards will feature my images (in black and white so there's a consistency to them) and will showcase a new way of card recognition that I think is rather innovative and haven't seen before . . . I plan on taking the rest of June and July to put the deck together (shooting models for the court cards) and then launch the Kickstarter in August . . . Would love feedback on the design and please feel free to follow me on Facebook as I'll be posting updates and 'production vlogs" on there as well . . .

Thanks so much for your time . . .

-pmk

Re: Club 808 "Design-a-Deck" Winner
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Whoa, neat back. I love the lens and aperture designs. (great theme for a photography deck) Then again, it all depends on what the face cards look like!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:55:59 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Remove the website from the back of the cards and you're golden. You can advertise the hell out of yourself on a deck, but here is where it's appropriate to do so:

- Bottom of tuck case
- Ad card
- Jokers/Ace of Spades (no ",com" though)

Also, you do realize people will think this is a deck dedicated to Half-Life/Portal, right? I don't know if you did that on purpose or not. The color scheme is what does it more so than the vector aperture art.

It's really nicely done, though. I can't wait to see the faces like Mollusk said.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »

pmkane

• The art of seeing what is invisible to others.

• Facebook:
Great suggestion about the URL . . . I hadn't taken the whole video game thing into consideration, but those are my two favorite colors, so I'll be sticking with them - should some interest bleed over from that market, all the better! Thank you all very much for your feedback . . . very excited about this project!!

-pmk