You are Here:
Playing Card Wrapper Non-Tax Stamps

Author (Read 2419 times)

Playing Card Wrapper Non-Tax Stamps
« on: February 18, 2022, 02:48:08 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Most collectors of antique American playing cards are familiar with the USPC and NCC company stamps that were affixed to the wrappers found on their seldom seen mint sealed decks but I thought I would share some grainy photos of non-tax stamps found on mint sealed decks from other companies that I believe are seen even less frequently.
The first 3 photos presented in this post are from NYCC and Dougherty.
The first photo also shows the back portion of the original wrapper to which the stamp is affixed from a deck of Triton # 42 cards.
The second stamp is from a deck of First Quality Squeezers # 35 which came in a slipcase instead of the usually found tuck box.
The Dougherty stamp appears on a wrapper for the Oriental # 91 brand but can also be found on other brands such as Marguerite # 130.

Re: Playing Card Wrapper Non-Tax Stamps
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 03:46:20 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Here is the second set of 3 photos of playing card wrapper non-tax stamps from some more obscure manufacturers although there is a 10-Cent tax stamp shown accompanying two of the company stamps for decks that were issued during the 1920's.
The first photo shows a stamp from the Kalamazoo PCC which appears on the wrapper from a deck of Smart Set # 400 Picture Series featuring the frequently encountered named back Sweethearts but this early example has no border.
The second photo shows a stamp from the Pyramid PCC which is partially covered by an RF19 10-Cent tax stamp which would date this deck of Home Run cards (Hochman PY4) to about 1924.
The third photo shows a stamp from the Independent Card Corporation which has a slightly later variation of the 10-Cent tax stamp in the vicinity and appears on the wrapper from a deck (Hochman MSW89) which came in one of their well-known metal cases issued circa 1926.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 11:46:20 PM »

torcams

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thank you for sharing these Toby! I'd like contribute one of my favorites from The American Bank Note Co.
Matt Schacht

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 01:06:33 PM »

Chuqii

• Don't Use This!
  • Discourse Veteran
Thanks for sharing these seldom seen seals.  I'm going to add a better pic of the Kalamazoo seal from a sealed Old Oaken Bucket deck I have. 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 01:08:46 PM by Chuqii »
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 01:46:38 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I managed to locate two more of these kinds of stamps while rummaging through my collection and they are both railroad related.
The first photo shows a very nice gold seal for the Standard PCC accompanied by an RF20 10-Cent tax stamp cancelled by S.P.C. Co. which dates this deck to around 1926. The deck shows, perhaps, the New York Central Lines most famous train, the 20th Century Limited (Boll NYC-2).
The second photo shows a stamp from the Pennsylvania Railroad on a deck of cards manufactured by NYCC and it shows a reversible image of the Broadway Limited also issued some time in the mid-1920's (Boll PRR-7b).
Thank you to any and all contributors to this website who are able to provide clearer pictures of those stamps I have already posted as well as any stamps from other playing card manufacturers.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 05:35:02 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Found this unused, and unmounted, one at a stamp store. He did not know where it was from.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 02:20:26 PM »

torcams

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Here's a rarely seen wrapper fragment and closure seal/stamp from a Tom Jones S57 Rocky Mountain Souvenir.
Matt Schacht