What ever happened to developing new bicycle themed card backs

Author (Read 582 times)

What ever happened to developing new bicycle themed card backs
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
You know what would be really cool? If Bicycle created a new Bicycle themed deck. I know they have reprinted some vintage backs or decks based on vintage design, and we see so many other various custom backs, but when was the last time a new, bicycle themed, bicycle branded deck came out? Back in the day they made deck backs based on everything from bicycle pedals to bicycle chains and I think there is probably a slew of new bicycle technology out there to base a deck on.Perhaps someone has done a recent bicycle based interpretation but if they have, I am unaware of it. Maybe its just me but I think it would be neat  ::)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:51:23 PM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

Re: What ever happened to developing new bicycle themed card backs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:51:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
When the Bicycle brand was first created, bicycles were a new invention, extremely popular.  Over time, "auto-bikes" (early motorcycles) and cars were the themes of many decks, as well as the wheels upon which they rolled.

These days, popularity of bicycles (and practically everything involving effort, the outdoors and no video monitor) are fairly low - sales of bicycles have been declining for several years now as Generation X, 11% smaller than the preceding generation, become the driving force in the economy, and children and juveniles have been dropping out of bicycle riding in large numbers, only some of which can be made up for by a slight uptick in commuters using bikes and bike-related businesses such as messenger services and restaurants offering delivery.

I would think this would be a good idea to bring to the bike manufacturers more so than the designers of custom decks.  They're the ones hoping to raise public awareness and usage of bicycles, particularly in urban communities particularly well-suited for bicycles as a mode of transportation, so they could seriously use the promotion.  (It also wouldn't hurt if they lowered the prices down from the high three figures and low four figures!  No bicycle should cost nearly as much as the cheapest economy car.)  But it's also a matter of raising the bar in terms of governments providing the places where bikers can ride without being forced between faster and more dangerous cars - Ex-Mayor Mike Bloomberg of New York launched a huge campaign to make the city more pedestrian, bus and bike-friendly - while at the same time aggravating some drivers.  More cities should follow that lead.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:55:07 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
When the Bicycle brand was first created, bicycles were a new invention, extremely popular.  Over time, "auto-bikes" (early motorcycles) and cars were the themes of many decks, as well as the wheels upon which they rolled.

These days, popularity of bicycles (and practically everything involving effort, the outdoors and no video monitor) are fairly low - sales of bicycles have been declining for several years now as Generation X, 11% smaller than the preceding generation, become the driving force in the economy, and children and juveniles have been dropping out of bicycle riding in large numbers, only some of which can be made up for by a slight uptick in commuters using bikes and bike-related businesses such as messenger services and restaurants offering delivery.

I would think this would be a good idea to bring to the bike manufacturers more so than the designers of custom decks.  They're the ones hoping to raise public awareness and usage of bicycles, particularly in urban communities particularly well-suited for bicycles as a mode of transportation, so they could seriously use the promotion.  (It also wouldn't hurt if they lowered the prices down from the high three figures and low four figures!  No bicycle should cost nearly as much as the cheapest economy car.)  But it's also a matter of raising the bar in terms of governments providing the places where bikers can ride without being forced between faster and more dangerous cars - Ex-Mayor Mike Bloomberg of New York launched a huge campaign to make the city more pedestrian, bus and bike-friendly - while at the same time aggravating some drivers.  More cities should follow that lead.

I think the Bicycle brand has enough prestige as to not be shackled by the success or failure of the bicycle market. Just about any layperson would associate playing cards with the bicycle brand. I understand the heritage, I am just saying. Why have we not seen a mountain bike deck, chopper bike deck,  a trick bike, or a bicycle racing deck? Not that I am in demand these designs or have a need of them. It just seems the original inspiration is just a dead concept right now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:45:55 AM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:26:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I think the Bicycle brand has enough prestige as to not be shackled by the success or failure of the bicycle market. Just about any layperson would associate playing cards with the bicycle brand. I understand the heritage, I am just saying. Why have we not seen a mountain bike deck, chopper bike deck,  a trick bike, or a bicycle racing deck? Not that I am in demand these designs or have a need of them. It just seems the original inspiration is just a dead concept right now.

It would largely be due to a lack of public interest.  If people wanted it, it would be made.  Not to mention that it's far easier for USPC to clean up a vintage design and reprint it instead of hiring a designer for an original deck back.

As far as chopper bikes, there's been several Harley Davidson decks over the years.  All the rest of the ideas you listed aren't of wide appeal to the general public - if they were, we'd be seeing them a lot more often, IRL and on TV.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/