Forums

Author (Read 4024 times)

Forums
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:38:45 AM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
Does anyone know of a website that you can make a free forum and then embed that forum onto a yola site besides nabble and talkki.

Re: Forums
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:18:49 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
No clue what yola or talkki are, but ProBoards is the best hosted forum solution for free, and SMF is my favorite free software (that's what the Discourse runs on).
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:29:23 AM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
No clue what yola or talkki are, but ProBoards is the best hosted forum solution for free, and SMF is my favorite free software (that's what the Discourse runs on).
Ok, thanks for the help.

The only thing I don't like about this is I don't have any skins to put on there. I mean the forums are great themselves.

EDIT: These are nice forums once you get to know them.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:42:49 AM by austin »

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
PhpBB is very skin friendly, there are a ton of pre-built free ones, I haven't used SMF in a long time, so I'm not familiar with the available options.

Are you looking for a forum to install on your website?  or are you looking for a website that will host a forum for you?
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
PhpBB is very skin friendly, there are a ton of pre-built free ones, I haven't used SMF in a long time, so I'm not familiar with the available options.

Are you looking for a forum to install on your website?  or are you looking for a website that will host a forum for you?
I was looking for one that I could embed on, but proboards is great so I'm going to stick with them. Check my forum out if you would like http://whattheshiz.proboards.com the design isn't final and I still need to make topics and categorys and what not. Also my website is whattheshiz.yolasite.com

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:27:05 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I'm gonna be honest here: I wouldn't even subscribe to a forum that looks like this. In fact, a basic pre-made skin would be more attractive. Too much contrast where it's not needed and not enough where it actually is makes it really painful to look at, and the huge awesomeface might be going too far, no matter what kind of community it is aimed at.
No offense intended really, but it'd be sad to have a good forum fail because of such basic things. Remember, a good choice of colors is always important, regardless of the target audience. You could consider going with a softer shade of blue, and never use black text on a dark color. High contrast should be reserved for text, unless the design really calls for it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:28:51 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
An old buddy of mine owns a place called Studio Zero on ProBoards. Look it up, it's one of the last high quality PB design boards left. There is a lot you can learn there.

The PB support board also offers lots of help to beginners.

Advice: Do not market your forum to the target demographic until it is 150% sure to make them say "wow!"
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
Ok thanks for the help

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
I'm gonna be honest here: I wouldn't even subscribe to a forum that looks like this. In fact, a basic pre-made skin would be more attractive. Too much contrast where it's not needed and not enough where it actually is makes it really painful to look at, and the huge awesomeface might be going too far, no matter what kind of community it is aimed at.
No offense intended really, but it'd be sad to have a good forum fail because of such basic things. Remember, a good choice of colors is always important, regardless of the target audience. You could consider going with a softer shade of blue, and never use black text on a dark color. High contrast should be reserved for text, unless the design really calls for it.
Wow I am always logged in so never noticed it I will have to take that off.