You are Here:
Playing Arts - LIVE on Kickstarter

Author (Read 736 times)

Playing Arts - LIVE on Kickstarter
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »

playingarts

• Newcomer
Hello dear playing card lovers,

some of you may be already familiar with Playing Arts project, for those who not - here is the idea: every year we invite 55 strong designers and illustrators from all over the world to collaborate on a single deck of cards. Each artist gets a card and illustrates it in his own way.

We've already released two editions (one and two) and now we want to introduce you our new collective art decks:

1. Edition Three: we've carefully selected and invited awesome designers and illustrators to create the artworks for this deck (as usual). We've already published first cards on the website for you to enjoy: http://playingarts.com/en/three

2. Special Edition: we've launched an international design contest, to give a chance to everybody share their vision of the particular playing card. More than 850 artists entered this contest and have already started working on their cards. 55 best artworks will form this deck.

Both decks are available for pre-order via Kickstarter.

Backers that will choose a reward that includes Special Edition deck, will join the jury team and help us to select 55 outstanding works that will form this deck.

Let us know what do you think about this and of course you are very welcome to support the project by choosing your reward  ::)

Re: Playing Arts - LIVE on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hi Playingarts,

I've always considered Design Contests to be a fancy way of getting artists to work for NO PAY.

I'm just curious, did the artists who created the Decks for Editions One, Two and Three get compensated monetarily for their work?

thanks, Randy

Re: Playing Arts - LIVE on Kickstarter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi Playingarts,

I've always considered Design Contests to be a fancy way of getting artists to work for NO PAY.

I'm just curious, did the artists who created the Decks for Editions One, Two and Three get compensated monetarily for their work?

thanks, Randy

Hell, we've offered compensation for the forum's design contest in the form of free decks - LOTS of them, not just a few - and had a hard time getting takers.  I can't imagine a lot of artists being interested, except perhaps newbies that haven't worked for pay before, are desperate for exposure and live in countries where you can't crowdfund a project.  Crowdfunding makes a no-pay competition like this seem a LOT less attractive, since anyone with enough talent and an adequate degree of organization can get a project launched and funded.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/