ONIDA by Legends PCC

Author (Read 4033 times)

ONIDA by Legends PCC
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
TREASURE HUNT!

A chance to discover a hotly anticipated pre-release deck!

Try to guess the name of the deck in the photo to the left, and figure out how to track it down!

Only two available, so be quick!

OMG! I can't believe i found it.  :D :D :D

Re: Legends Mystery Pre-Released Deck
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I'm happy that you found it purplelce... I found it, but only after it was sold out :( :( :(
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm happy that you found it purplelce... I found it, but only after it was sold out :( :( :(

Thanks. Probably the first time i ever won something. Well...not exactly win, but still... :D

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

With only two available, what did you expect?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty

Don, even if there was only one deck available and absolutely no letters from the deck name on show, I'd still expect myself to be the one that gets it.

Two people beat me to it today... and so I tip to them both.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Where was it? I couldnt seem to find it anywhere.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
It's a hidden link bro.

You have to figure out the name of the deck, and then whack it into the appropriate place on the URL!

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 03:21:24 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Don, even if there was only one deck available and absolutely no letters from the deck name on show, I'd still expect myself to be the one that gets it.

Two people beat me to it today... and so I tip to them both.

I did not try very hard. Not worth 1 deck of cards to me. Nice promotion though. Tuck reminds me of D&D private reserve. I'll wait till they are available for public sale.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:26:07 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I came to the game to late to even try.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
I found it using my magical interweb abilities. Unfortunately I just did it now and some jerk :) beat me to it.

Also. http://nickvlow.com/uncategorized/cat/

I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 03:18:05 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Back design reminds me of the fatboy Aztec playing cards
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 08:42:01 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
The fact that it was called a "pre-release" gives me hope that the deck will also get a regular release (rather than being impossible to get hold of, like the bund18 or Tatler decks).

I do love ultra-limited decks... except for when I cannot get one for myself :p

Well, I like what I see so far. As has already been mentioned, the tuck does have a similar look to the D&D private reserve deck... but it's not what I'd consider to be an imitation by any means.

I like what I see so far -- simple, yet not empty or overly plain (like the oft-repeated Wynn back design) decks do appeal to me. The one way faces are a nice touch... although I do personally prefer such features to be a little bit more subtle (I think the Serpentine one way faces were probably the best).

As usual, I hope more details become available regarding the stock and finish that is used for this deck. Seeing as it's printed in Taiwan and not PRC, I guess that rules out the 'emerald finish'.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
The fact that it was called a "pre-release" gives me hope that the deck will also get a regular release (rather than being impossible to get hold of, like the bund18 or Tatler decks).

I do love ultra-limited decks... except for when I cannot get one for myself :p

Well, I like what I see so far. As has already been mentioned, the tuck does have a similar look to the D&D private reserve deck... but it's not what I'd consider to be an imitation by any means.

I like what I see so far -- simple, yet not empty or overly plain (like the oft-repeated Wynn back design) decks do appeal to me. The one way faces are a nice touch... although I do personally prefer such features to be a little bit more subtle (I think the Serpentine one way faces were probably the best).

As usual, I hope more details become available regarding the stock and finish that is used for this deck. Seeing as it's printed in Taiwan and not PRC, I guess that rules out the 'emerald finish'.

@ holyJJ

I know your a big Legends Playing Card Co. guy. Do you buy EPCC decks? Did you pick up any Les Printemps?

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
@ holyJJ

I know your a big Legends Playing Card Co. guy. Do you buy EPCC decks? Did you pick up any Les Printemps?

Hey man!

I do indeed buy EPCC decks! At the end of the day, like LPCC, even EPCC are also constantly looking to take innovation and R&D to the next level... and so I'm a fan of their work also.

Rather than custom decks that LPCC and EPCC print for independent designers, I usually go for their own in house decks. However, when I like designs (such as LUXX, Aquilla, Draconian, Mana No 3, etc), I'll buy those also.

I have been asked a few times if I am "anti-uspcc"... honestly, I'm not. I just think that they're not improving on quality at all. The only uspcc deck I've purchased (or rather, pledged for) is Jackson's Scarlett Tally-Ho, purely for the design and good use of colour.

I did notice the Les Pretemps over at D&D's site, and I really would have liked to have got myself a few of them... but I had spent most of my money on one of the carbon fiber card clips in the Legends sale.

The remainder of my budget is reserved for the CARC cyber monday sale -- no idea what exactly what deals they'll have, but going by their track record, chances are good that the deals will be impressive!

Seeing as I'm UK based, the higher than usual price of the Les Pretemps ( along with international shipping) would have done me over. I do hope to pick up a deck on eBay some day though :)

I had initially thought that this "mystery deck" was going to be released by Legends in their black friday sale. I guess I was right, in a way. I'm somewhat gutted that I wasn't one of the two that got to buy one. Lol

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
It's a hidden link bro.

You have to figure out the name of the deck, and then whack it into the appropriate place on the URL!

And how was I supposed to know that? If I recall correctly, the email just said it was hidden and knowing the name of the deck would help finding it. I thought maybe there would be a hyperlink on a page on their website somewhere.

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 12:26:44 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I think that was the intention -- to make it difficult to get to the page where the deck was listed.

None of us knew where it was... but we simply took a guess at how we'd go about finding it. I found it in something like 20 minutes after receiving the e-mail... so I obviously wasn't fast enough, because they were sold out.

We now just have to wait until a regular release happens brother.

ONIDA by Legends PCC
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 01:06:20 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Legends Playing Card Co.

7 mins  ยท

Another surprise coming soon! ONIDA, our new minimalistic deck designed by the talented young artist @nickvlow

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: ONIDA by Legends PCC
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:40 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Reminds me of an old school cigarette deck.  Like Newports or Golden Lights..... Sorta...
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 01:46:13 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Reminds me of an old school cigarette deck.  Like Newports or Golden Lights..... Sorta...

I was thinking I had saw these somewhere before. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 06:41:23 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I was thinking I had saw these somewhere before. I think you hit the nail on the head.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=7519.0

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I tried to figure out the name for their thanksgiving contest, but I never would have come up with this. reminds me of a D&D Smoke and Mirrors Gold deck, only in a portrait orientation. I've never been a smoker, but I also see the resemblance to a cigarette pack.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Thanks CP. I merged the 2 topics.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I tried to figure out the name for their thanksgiving contest, but I never would have come up with this. reminds me of a D&D Smoke and Mirrors Gold deck, only in a portrait orientation. I've never been a smoker, but I also see the resemblance to a cigarette pack.

It's not so much looking like a pack of cigarettes as looking like a cigarette deck - they were pretty popular in the '70s, back when I was a kid.  Then that whole "Big Tobacco advertising to children" thing hit and now you don't see them much anymore.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 07:56:22 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
These are now available and on sale at Legends. Here's your handy dandy link. :)

ONIDA. Be sure to check out the shop, they have more decks including a 3 deck mix brick deal!
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)