You are Here:
AVES: Bicycle playing cards; Fine Art deck inspired by Birds (KS)

Author (Read 10071 times)

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
AVES: Bicycle playing cards; Fine Art deck inspired by Birds

BIRD DECK by LUX Playing Cards
"Available in August"
Each card was hand-illustrated by Russian artist Karina Eibatova.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:15:59 AM by Rob Wright »

Re: Bird Deck (Coming to KS)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 03:29:56 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I love the image on the front of the tuck box, though it feels a bit plain in some ways. Look forward to seeing the rest of the deck.
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:07:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I love the image on the front of the tuck box, though it feels a bit plain in some ways. Look forward to seeing the rest of the deck.

After all the complicated, thin-bordered backs out there, something that's both complex but with lots of white space is kinda cool.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

After all the complicated, thin-bordered backs out there, something that's both complex but with lots of white space is kinda cool.

I have to agree. Sometimes less is more...after all that complexity in decks these days trying to squeeze every one bit of printable space out, it is refreshing to see a deck looking much cleaner with great artwork as well.

I'm just not too sure about the "one-legged Spade" on the Bicycle Tuck. Looks a bit alien.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

I have to agree. Sometimes less is more...after all that complexity in decks these days trying to squeeze every one bit of printable space out, it is refreshing to see a deck looking much cleaner with great artwork as well.

I'm just not too sure about the "one-legged Spade" on the Bicycle Tuck. Looks a bit alien.

Perhaps a kiwi bird looking up could make for a good Ace of Spades symbol? They certainly have the fluffy body with a long beak needed for it.

I really like the feel of the design on this deck.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I would agree with everybody on this one. Kind of neat to see some great line work, but still be simple. The only thing that's off to me is the Tuck. Maybe it's just the mock up, but to me it needs a little more to break up all the white. Maybe some scroll work around the side wording or something.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Yes, agree with all of the statements that this back design is fresh and a nice change. Stick to your guns on the back for sure.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 03:44:02 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
It is the tuck that looks a little unfinished to me as well. Though i'm not really sure why. The AoS logo is, well, ace, and the name is great. The card back looks good and i'm definitely looking forward to seeing some more of this deck.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 03:44:52 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I know costs will govern this, but I think a tuck that's as minimalist as this could really work with some embossing?

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The illustration is great and the color just pops on the stark white. Looking forward to seeing more of the courts.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:49:12 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Yeah, on the cards it looks Zen and on the box it looks a little unfinished. I still like it! Where do I sign up for my playing card addiction problem? :)

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I absolutely LOVE the back. It's a refreshing change from the standard deck.

The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is the ace of spades. It looks kind of odd. If you had a bird in the shape of a spade as opposed to a clump of feathers and a leg, it would tie the deck together better.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:08 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I love the AoS design. It makes it look a bit surreal which I really like.

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I have to admit that this is worlds better than I thought that it would be when I saw the thread title. I was expecting cheesy clipart printed on a 99 cent deck, but I was very pleasantly surprised. These are nicely done and impressive!

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Mike received a prototype, and posted a few pics on CardLauncher facebook page

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:29:14 PM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 02:03:13 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
With all the current comments, It makes me want to design a back with cool corners and leave the middle totally white.  I could have a cool fan and have lots of negative white space.  Think about it. What is her fan going to look like?  Is her fan going to distinguish her from other decks?  To me, it seems lacking. 

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
With all the current comments, It makes me want to design a back with cool corners and leave the middle totally white.  I could have a cool fan and have lots of negative white space.  Think about it. What is her fan going to look like?  Is her fan going to distinguish her from other decks?  To me, it seems lacking.

I'm sure she wasn't thinking about what the fan would look like. I doubt she even cares. That's not what this deck is about. That's not what most decks are about.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

I'm sure she wasn't thinking about what the fan would look like. I doubt she even cares. That's not what this deck is about. That's not what most decks are about.

I have to agree with Rob, but I think that's one of the "side effects" of playing cards..........we, in the Playing Card community, assume the decks are geared towards a certain demographic, there is a huge collecting and casual collector base that could care less about handling or how a fan would look. I think a few designers are seeing that in terms of marketability. Of course you lop off that demographics interest, but I think more designers should stay true to their original ideas and concepts and not get caught up in pleasing EVERYONE.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

The fan isn't what distinguishes a deck. It's the design.

The only time a deck's fan should be a pivotal design point is if the deck's being made for cardistry or magic. E.G. Fanning decks of the Virtuoso deck. The back as it is needs no revision. It's clean, interesting, and a refreshing change from most of the hyper-detailed backs with ultra-thin borders. (Not that those are bad. I prefer those to most any other deck.) Adding edge detail would greatly diminish the sense of negative space that's been created, and skew the positive space. Essentially, it would make the back seem lacking if more detail was added.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
That's interesting and all.  But you have to ask the question.  What will we see in an opponents hands if we see these cards?  I know the creator likes negative space.  That's fine.  I'm just saying she is using it in the wrong spot.  simple.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 11:55:15 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
That's interesting and all.  But you have to ask the question.  What will we see in an opponents hands if we see these cards?  I know the creator likes negative space.  That's fine.  I'm just saying she is using it in the wrong spot.  simple.

Sometimes a negative white space used correctly, (which i feel in this case is a good example) will enhance an already intricate design, rather than having complex borders to take away the focus. But that does not mean you could just use negative spaces anyway you choose them. While a picture with a white frame may look nice, it is not neccesary the case if you have a well designed frame around a white canvas.

Of course I cannot say anything about a design that i have not seen. Though the idea of having a negative space in the middle may be feasible, it is really how you execute it that makes or breaks it. I feel a border of feathers with a negative space in the middle might not make this deck look as good as what it is now. It really depends on the deck and the execution.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I actually really like this deck designs, especially the back. I honestly wouldn't do anything to it. It's fresh a different than anything out there. If you bend to peoples comments to give it a border or fill the card up it will just end up looking like every other card design.

Make a deck that is functional and also follows the elements and principles of design.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:05:56 AM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 01:37:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

What will I see?  What does it matter?  In a card game, I'm far more concerned about the FACES of the cards than the BACKS unless I'm using a gimmicked deck (or catching someone else doing the same)!  (This coming from the guy who tried to simplify playing cards by adding more cards to the deck...)  :))

The backs are perfectly fine as they are at present.  If you don't like them, don't buy them - go make your own deck or buy something else.  You seem to forget at times that not every designer on planet Earth is trying to make decks that appeal to collectors, cardists or magicians.  Sometimes, they're trying to make something they find appealing instead!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:01 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
The white space reminds me of the Playing Arts deck, they had a lot of white space but it looked real good. I suppose that was slightly different as it was a very artsy deck. I'd like to see a bit more of the number cards.
Also, the pip design is very similar to the Playing Arts deck.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 06:10:35 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Does anyone have any more information when the kickstarter will be opened for this?