Author (Read 6191 times)

Seasons Playing Cards - Platinum Series
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Alex Chin gave me a little sneak peek at the new set of Seasons Playing Cards... Platinum Series.

-these will have the same finish as the original set, and the same back designs
-5000 sets will be available
-this is a Seasons Exclusive. You won't be able to get the full set anywhere else.
-release date is still TBA, but most likely this month

Alex writes
"This is our platinum version.

I got to say when you hold these decks in person they just blow you away. Very happy with how the new foiling came out."

More pics/info to come soon

CBJ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:36:00 PM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Seasons Playing Cards - Platinum Series
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
So the only difference is the box?

I LOVE the Seasons decks. They are one of my favorite decks out there, so I'm definitely looking forward to these.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Yikes, as sexy as the boxes are, not changing anything else and printing 10k decks...

Even on the best decks, like these, I don't believe in the T11 route to deck releases.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
So the only difference is the box?
Yikes, as sexy as the boxes are, not changing anything else and printing 10k decks...
Remember, CBJ only stated that the decks will have identical finish and back designs. As far as we know, with the "Platinum" tag line, the court cards, pips, and maybe aces might have a metallic tinge to it. However, this still, unfortunately, refers back to Alex's theory11 release style. Wondering if the price will be bumped up?
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I have the originals, I'm happy with those, unless these show something truely groundbreaking I'll give them a miss.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:05:11 PM by dee1orean »
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:33:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I remember talking with Alex Chin on the phone on the night these released.  He was upset about that one Jack in the white deck with the nearly-unnoticeable flaw, he thought he'd never get these remade with foil again and he stated that he'd do a version two; same cards, plainer box.  I guess he did get the funds up for foil work.

Now - there still the matter of the "spring" and "summer" decks...  :))  Jay, did he mention anything on that topic?  Or the special deck he's doing for Ellusionist?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »

LauR

• Elite Member

Even on the best decks, like these, I don't believe in the T11 route to deck releases.

The thing is he's not the only one doing this, I mean DB has been doing that with all this decks from split spades tally ho, to his white lions.

They're exploiting the main thing wrong with the card industry, people buying large quantities of decks which they believe are "limited," which really aren't. 5k print though limited is probably a realistic estimate of how many decks they were going to sell anyway.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:05:05 AM by LauR »

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 09:39:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The thing is he's not the only one doing this, I mean DB has been doing that with all this decks from split spades tally ho, to his white lions.

They're exploiting the main thing wrong with the card industry, people buying large quantities of decks which they believe are "limited," which really aren't. 5k print though limited is probably a realistic estimate of how many decks they were going to sell anyway.

What the heck are you talking about?

First of all, the "T11 route" Alex refers to is taking the same exact deck and upgrading just the box, then calling it "version 2", "special edition" or some similar nonsense and waiting for the collectors to drool and throw money at them.

David Blaine's decks have never done what you've described.  Each run had distinct differences going beyond just the box.

Split Spades (Tally Ho) - Tally Ho AoS, custom jokers
Split Spades (Bee) - Bee AoS, I think it had Bee jokers as well.
Split Spades Lions - different back design, SS AoS introduced, "jester face" joker
White Lions Series A - different back design, WL AoS, "lion in rain" jokers
White Lions Series B & Black Label - same back as Series A, but SS AoS and jokers.

These differences aren't huge, but they're far more different than, say, the difference between Bicycle Titanium v1 and v2, or DeckONE v1 and v2.

A realistic estimate?  That's nonsense.  It's an EXACT NUMBER.  You make X amount of decks, they sell out and lo and behold, your "realistic estimate" becomes fact.  They ARE limited.  Even if made in quantities of THIRTY or FORTY THOUSAND.  In this industry, "limited" basically means this: we made a single print run and we don't plan to make more - it might be as little as 1,000, it might be much, much larger, but this print run is it and nothing else comes after this.  As opposed to "unlimited", meaning "we're just gonna keep churning these out, print run after print run, until you nice people stop buying them."

This new print run exists for one reason and one reason only - there were a LOT of people who missed out on the initial sale of these decks and would love to get some without having to spend a king's ransom.  Alex Chin is trying to make these people happy while at the same time not piss off the collectors screaming "but I thought this deck was LIMITED."  Well, it is - in the original gold foil and whatnot.  Think of this like the Crown decks - version one came and went, so version two (the unlimited edition) came into being and just keeps getting reprinted when it sells out.  Version one is still "rare" and "limited".
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:42:35 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 01:20:25 AM »

LauR

• Elite Member

What the heck are you talking about?

First of all, the "T11 route" Alex refers to is taking the same exact deck and upgrading just the box, then calling it "version 2", "special edition" or some similar nonsense and waiting for the collectors to drool and throw money at them.

David Blaine's decks have never done what you've described.  Each run had distinct differences going beyond just the box.

Split Spades (Tally Ho) - Tally Ho AoS, custom jokers
Split Spades (Bee) - Bee AoS, I think it had Bee jokers as well.
Split Spades Lions - different back design, SS AoS introduced, "jester face" joker
White Lions Series A - different back design, WL AoS, "lion in rain" jokers
White Lions Series B & Black Label - same back as Series A, but SS AoS and jokers.

These differences aren't huge, but they're far more different than, say, the difference between Bicycle Titanium v1 and v2, or DeckONE v1 and v2.

A realistic estimate?  That's nonsense.  It's an EXACT NUMBER.  You make X amount of decks, they sell out and lo and behold, your "realistic estimate" becomes fact.  They ARE limited.  Even if made in quantities of THIRTY or FORTY THOUSAND.  In this industry, "limited" basically means this: we made a single print run and we don't plan to make more - it might be as little as 1,000, it might be much, much larger, but this print run is it and nothing else comes after this.  As opposed to "unlimited", meaning "we're just gonna keep churning these out, print run after print run, until you nice people stop buying them."

This new print run exists for one reason and one reason only - there were a LOT of people who missed out on the initial sale of these decks and would love to get some without having to spend a king's ransom.  Alex Chin is trying to make these people happy while at the same time not piss off the collectors screaming "but I thought this deck was LIMITED."  Well, it is - in the original gold foil and whatnot.  Think of this like the Crown decks - version one came and went, so version two (the unlimited edition) came into being and just keeps getting reprinted when it sells out.  Version one is still "rare" and "limited".

Are you kidding me right now that you believe that is a justified reason for reprinting, just because ppl missed out on a limited deck is no reason to make a slight variation of essentially the same deck and releasing it again under a different title. That is the whole purpose of creating "limited" editions. The high price natures of post release limited editions item is what contributes to its exclusiveness and the rush to buy it before it sells out. That is how it is in every industry, from watches, shoes, etc.

Also you portrayal of collectors is also poorly construed, oppose to whining that the deck was limited, that is an actual legitimate concern. When they advertised that the decks would be a limited run, that is the marketing strategy employed by these sellers and do contribute to the pro and cons of an individual when deciding to buy a deck. Like for all the collectors now, who own like theory 11 white centurions, if theory 11 now reveals that they will do an unlimited run of white centurion v 2 with a different joker, the price of v1s would go down as the demand for v1s decrease as individuals opt to go for the cheaper alternative. Therefore, they would in fact have a well founded and justified reasoning for being opposed to reprints.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:31:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Are you kidding me right now that you believe that is a justified reason for reprinting, just because ppl missed out on a limited deck is no reason to make a slight variation of essentially the same deck and releasing it again under a different title. That is the whole purpose of creating "limited" editions. The high price natures of post release limited editions item is what contributes to its exclusiveness and the rush to buy it before it sells out. That is how it is in every industry, from watches, shoes, etc.

Also you portrayal of collectors is also poorly construed, oppose to whining that the deck was limited, that is an actual legitimate concern. When they advertised that the decks would be a limited run, that is the marketing strategy employed by these sellers and do contribute to the pro and cons of an individual when deciding to buy a deck. Like for all the collectors now, who own like theory 11 white centurions, if theory 11 now reveals that they will do an unlimited run of white centurion v 2 with a different joker, the price of v1s would go down as the demand for v1s decrease as individuals opt to go for the cheaper alternative. Therefore, they would in fact have a well founded and justified reasoning for being opposed to reprints.

The "reprints" were announced the SAME DAY the originals released.  They were no secret.  Yet for weeks after, they were still highly sought-after cards.

You used David Blaine's decks as an example.  Can you honestly tell me that the release of the Split Spades Bees had a negative impact on the Split Spades Tally Ho decks?  Or that the Split Spades Lions affected either?  There were only sleight tweaks from one version to the other - but they were still different versions.

I've not seen a single bit less demand for the WL Series A since the WL Series B came out.  They're similar, sure, but they're NOT the same deck.  I don't think the release of the Platinum Edition will alter the demand for the originals, especially among collectors.  Some collectors never even crack open the tuck box, preferring instead to look at the still-sealed deck on display on their wall or in their cabinet.  Can you honestly tell me that the release of the Platinums will affect the demand for the originals among those collectors?

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »

LauR

• Elite Member

The "reprints" were announced the SAME DAY the originals released.  They were no secret.  Yet for weeks after, they were still highly sought-after cards.

You used David Blaine's decks as an example.  Can you honestly tell me that the release of the Split Spades Bees had a negative impact on the Split Spades Tally Ho decks?  Or that the Split Spades Lions affected either?  There were only sleight tweaks from one version to the other - but they were still different versions.

I've not seen a single bit less demand for the WL Series A since the WL Series B came out.  They're similar, sure, but they're NOT the same deck.  I don't think the release of the Platinum Edition will alter the demand for the originals, especially among collectors.  Some collectors never even crack open the tuck box, preferring instead to look at the still-sealed deck on display on their wall or in their cabinet.  Can you honestly tell me that the release of the Platinums will affect the demand for the originals among those collectors?

Its not a matter of whether they will or not as no-one can say one thing or another for sure, but that there is a possibility. Infact in most industries the opposite of what is happening in the card industry is the opposite, if they release similar runs of limited edition items the prices goes down. Can you honestly say that the demand for v1 crown decks hasn't been affected by the v2s?

Also when was it told day one that the seasons will be reprinted? Even currently on their website, it does mention that the cards will be reprinted.

"The SEASONS Set is a limited set of playing cards that visually captures the changing seasons. Unique from other deck sets, these cards embrace two different illustrated artworks while still maintaining a consistency for the set"

Can you honestly tell me that tag line is not trying to promote its rarity as a selling point?

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I'll let you two argue it out after me, but....Anyway, I'll leave these right here.

It appears that the box may be embossed or debossed.

P.S. - The pictures were released on Alex's Facebook and Twitter page.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Its not a matter of whether they will or not as no-one can say one thing or another for sure, but that there is a possibility. Infact in most industries the opposite of what is happening in the card industry is the opposite, if they release similar runs of limited edition items the prices goes down. Can you honestly say that the demand for v1 crown decks hasn't been affected by the v2s?

Also when was it told day one that the seasons will be reprinted? Even currently on their website, it does mention that the cards will be reprinted.

"The SEASONS Set is a limited set of playing cards that visually captures the changing seasons. Unique from other deck sets, these cards embrace two different illustrated artworks while still maintaining a consistency for the set"

Can you honestly tell me that tag line is not trying to promote its rarity as a selling point?

Please, re-read what you wrote and fix any spelling or syntax errors.  I'm not completely certain what you're trying to say at some points in that reply.

As far as v1 Crown Decks value being affected by v2: no more so than if the v2 was never released.  Cards will often shoot up in value when first released, drop down when demand peaks and other new decks come out and grab the spotlight, then, depending on deck popularity, either gradually increase in value as they become more rare or remain about the same/drop in value if there's not much interest in them.  You still can't get a Blue Crown or Red Crown v1 deck for under $20, if you can find them.

Another good example would be the Black Ghost First Edition.  Sure, it's not trading on eBay for $400 like it was when it first came out, but did you honestly think it would stay at such levels even before the release of the Second Edition of the deck?  And is it still commanding a serious premium in the marketplace above other decks of the same or greater rarity?  (The answers to those questions are "no" and "yes", in case you were wondering...)

BTW: if you're buying cards solely for the rarity and collectibility, you're in for some major disappointment.  Look at what happened to other collectible markets over the years.  You should be buying for the beauty and enjoyment value, not simply because you think it's a good investment.  As investments go, real estate would have been a better choice than playing cards, even with the huge disaster in that market over the past five years or so.

I'll let you two argue it out after me, but....Anyway, I'll leave these right here.

It appears that the box may be embossed or debossed.

P.S. - The pictures were released on Alex's Facebook and Twitter page.

So aside from foil color, it appears to be exactly the same as on the original Primavera and Seronda decks.  They appear embossed - embossed is pressed to rise from the surface of the paper while debossing is pressed below the surface of the paper.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »

Cardist888

Wow im looking forward to these alot! I only have the gold autographed seronda decks so pumped to get around 2 sets of these :)

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I missed out on the first edition, and I really don't feel like paying 40+ bucks on ebay for a set of them even though they look amazing. I'll settle for these and probably pick up 1-2 sets depending on the price because they look pretty similar, even though the gold looks slightly better I think.

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
side note: I'll probably get the gold version anyway once I can afford it. It's seriously the best looking deck I've ever seen besides maybe red artifice (I love the red artifice deck)

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Release Date: October 21st, 2012

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
You still can't get a Blue Crown or Red Crown v1 deck for under $20, if you can find them.

That, so far, is true. The price of the Green v1's barely rose above market price...sadly. I won a one-man auction for $10 to score a Red Crown v1. However, the least can be said about a Blue Crown v1. Where have you seen a Blue Crown v1 sell for under $20? The only domestic price I've seen on eBay is $20.99, along with an extra $5.99 for shipping. :P

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 12:29:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

On a Sunday?  Interesting choice of date.  You rarely see decks released on a weekend.

You still can't get a Blue Crown or Red Crown v1 deck for under $20, if you can find them.

That, so far, is true. The price of the Green v1's barely rose above market price...sadly. I won a one-man auction for $10 to score a Red Crown v1. However, the least can be said about a Blue Crown v1. Where have you seen a Blue Crown v1 sell for under $20? The only domestic price I've seen on eBay is $20.99, along with an extra $5.99 for shipping. :P

OK, KPop, I want you to re-read my quote below, with emphasis on the part I put in bold print.

"You still can't get a Blue Crown or Red Crown v1 deck for under $20, if you can find them."

That would indicate that I haven't seen them selling for less than $20...  "Can't", y'know,  opposite of can - the negative form of the verb "can"...

The major reasons Green Crown v1 decks didn't increase much in price:

• They're practically identical to the v2 green decks, while the v1 Red and Blue Crown decks have a different coloration in the background, minus all the shading effects.
  • Red and Blue v1 decks are marked "1st Edition" as they were printed together as the first run of Crown decks.  The Greens, printed later, weren't thought of by many (hardcore) collectors as "1st Edition" Crown decks despite being the first version of the Green Crowns.
  • They're were more of them printed, making them a good deal less scarce.
OK, I think this topic's been hijacked enough by all this...  Suffice it to say this is a very nice deck.  Is it just me or is the deck box a little different and not just in terms of the color of the foil?  I'm planning to get exactly two sets.

If I was forced to guess, I'd say these are being released in larger quantities to meet the higher demand.  But don't quote me on that, because I have no actual facts backing that up, just a hunch.

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »

Adam

hey im looking foward these since i didnt get any the first time around. where are these being sold when they are released??
if someone could just post a link to where as soon as possible as i do not want to miss again

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I would guess this is the place to check: http://www.seasonsplayingcards.com
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

On a Sunday?  Interesting choice of date.  You rarely see decks released on a weekend.

OK, KPop, I want you to re-read my quote below, with emphasis on the part I put in bold print.

"You still can't get a Blue Crown or Red Crown v1 deck for under $20, if you can find them."

That would indicate that I haven't seen them selling for less than $20...  "Can't", y'know,  opposite of can - the negative form of the verb "can"...

The major reasons Green Crown v1 decks didn't increase much in price:

• They're practically identical to the v2 green decks, while the v1 Red and Blue Crown decks have a different coloration in the background, minus all the shading effects.
  • Red and Blue v1 decks are marked "1st Edition" as they were printed together as the first run of Crown decks.  The Greens, printed later, weren't thought of by many (hardcore) collectors as "1st Edition" Crown decks despite being the first version of the Green Crowns.
  • They're were more of them printed, making them a good deal less scarce.
OK, I think this topic's been hijacked enough by all this...  Suffice it to say this is a very nice deck.  Is it just me or is the deck box a little different and not just in terms of the color of the foil?  I'm planning to get exactly two sets.

If I was forced to guess, I'd say these are being released in larger quantities to meet the higher demand.  But don't quote me on that, because I have no actual facts backing that up, just a hunch.

Okay, sorry about that Don. i unfortunately missed those three important characters. Back to Seasons!

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 04:59:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I would guess this is the place to check: http://www.seasonsplayingcards.com

It's pretty light on details so far.  Doesn't look like he even started the blog yet.  On the plus side, he does have custom Seasons Porper clips in stock!

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »

DC

• Forum Regular
So pretty! 1 more week... Can't wait!

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »

noodle-11

I didn't get first round too,but I bought 2 sets on Ebay few months ago for 100 bucks.I dont want to miss again too.....