You are Here:
JUST LAUNCHED - SHAPESHIFTER PLAYING CARDS - Now Live On Kickstarter!

Author (Read 1232 times)

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hey everyone, just wanted to officially announce that we have just launched our new playing cards project on Kickstarter! Shapeshifter Playing Cards is now live if you wanted to head over to our Kickstarter page and support us with our latest card development!, Thanks everyone, hope to see you there :D

Shapeshifter Playing Cards Kickstarter Link  (Link for Cardistry/Card Magic/Deck Collectors) - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/754282482/shapeshifter-playing-cards-card-game-comic-book-an
(For Cardistry/Card Magic/Deck Collectors)

Plus
Shapeshifter Card Game Introduction/Tutorial Here (Link for Tabletop Game enthusiasts/poker players/strategic card game enthusiasts) - https://www.customplayingcardsclcpcstudio52.com/shapeshifters-card-game.html

Plus
Shapeshifter Story/Comic Book/Movie introduction (Link for Sci Fi Fans and Comic Book Collectors) - https://www.customplayingcardsclcpcstudio52.com/shapeshifters-story.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:31:48 PM by CLCPC Studio 52 »

Feedback On Kickstarter Presentation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:33:47 AM »

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hi everyone,
Craig here again from CLCPC Studio 52, just hoping to hear from you guys on how our new Kickstarter campaign is currently being presented, and if you have any thoughts or suggestions for us on ways to  improve how it looks that would be great.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/754282482/shapeshifter-playing-cards-card-game-comic-book-an

Re: Feedback On Kickstarter Presentation
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:39:46 AM »

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
While I don't feel qualified to offer much constructive criticism on how to improve the presentation of a kickstarter campaign I do know what I do and don't like in a deck of cards. Your art is very good. The images are intriguing and certainly eye catching. You break so far from tradition though that you loose me quickly. That absolutely shouldn't be interpreted as a negative. Just to point out a traditional deck of playing cards with standard four suits is nowhere near what you are producing and that's where my preferences are.

Good luck to you and your project.
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 01:56:24 PM »

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hi Eddie,

Thankyou for the reply and complements on the artwork.  Appreciate your opinon and total respect your preferences mate thanks for the feedback.  As for myself, do like to think outside the box with all my creative projects and always seeking a new and innovative approach to things.  I have great respect and admiration for the traditions associated with playing cards though once in a while someone will always come along and test the boundaries of something which is all part of an evolutionary process.  See image for example,  I have equal admiration for each version of suits that have been created over the course of history as do each and every one of us as card collectors.  My new approach to the suits is something that I hope people will also come to admire over time and hope that it may open the door to new creativity in the future.  These playing cards are an extension of a great idea that started long ago (with first playing cards created around the 9th century AD I think)  and I hope that they may serve the card community in a positve way leading into the future.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi Eddie,

Thankyou for the reply and complements on the artwork.  Appreciate your opinon and total respect your preferences mate thanks for the feedback.  As for myself, do like to think outside the box with all my creative projects and always seeking a new and innovative approach to things.  I have great respect and admiration for the traditions associated with playing cards though once in a while someone will always come along and test the boundaries of something which is all part of an evolutionary process.  See image for example,  I have equal admiration for each version of suits that have been created over the course of history as do each and every one of us as card collectors.  My new approach to the suits is something that I hope people will also come to admire over time and hope that it may open the door to new creativity in the future.  These playing cards are an extension of a great idea that started long ago (with first playing cards created around the 9th century AD I think)  and I hope that they may serve the card community in a positve way leading into the future.

While I do recognize that the current design for pips on International Standard playing cards (derived from the French Rouen design) isn't the only standard out there, it has been around for longer than six centuries and it's the most popular worldwide - hence the term "International Standard."  There are some collectors who will only by the standard, nothing else.  By going into the market without using the standard design, you're starting with two strikes against you.

That's not to say that your deck will never sell, but it will sell a lot more if you used standard pips - that's the point that Eddie was attempting to make.  There's been countless alternative pip designs over the years and over the centuries, but the Rouen design is the one that's stood the test of time and has become most widely spread throughout the modern world.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: JUST LAUNCHED - SHAPESHIFTER PLAYING CARDS - Now Live On Kickstarter!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37:27 AM »

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hey Don, both yourself and Eddie have made a valuable point that collectors tend to prefer traditional suits for a decks of cards.  I was definately stepping outside the box for this development and taking a risk. It may be that this set of cards would be better marketed as a card game as suggested, despite me trying to design them specifically to include features for cardistry and magic trick performances......if it be that card collectors arn't fans of non traditional suits than that will be unfortunate...whether or not this includes cardists or card magicians as well, I am unsure?.  With all thing aside, the final design for this deck series really just came about after deciding to replace the traditional markings on a deck that was in development with four 'Shapes' to go with the theme of the Shapeshifter Story(A story I had been writing as a seperate project .  In turn the four shapes were then included into story line and they serve much deeper purpose then just random shapes which I have outlined below.
 (This may seem a bit out there to read for you if your not into the world of Science Fiction but should never the less be interesting for you I hope).

The suit marking in this deck series have been created based on the Shapeshifter Story, a story within which a secret society existed to defend humanity against an evil threat to mankind, a threat that began during the time of the ancient egyptians when an alien race of beings called Gouanen (aka Shapeshifters) first arrive on Earth to deceive and manipulate mankind for their own pleasures and secret agenda for Earth. In the Shapeshifters Story, in the year 2031, there is an uprising againt the Shapeshifters, after which humanity is able to return to a peaceful existence on Earth. A utopian world then emerges that is free from all the opppression, slavery and injustice that was brought upon us by the Shapeshifters. The secret society in the story that leads the uprising against the Shapeshifters is called The Four Pillars, who fought for Truth, Loyaly, Honor and Justice for mankind as they sought to expose the shapeshifters and to free us from their evil clutches. The story concludes as mankind begins to rebuild after the war on the Shapeshifters and they emerge to be able to enjoy their true freedoms from oppression and of slavery and injustice. They finally begin to relax and return to everyday life, enjoying music, art, dance and other social interactions while having a greater respect for one another. During this time a new set of playing cards emerge that have been designed to symbolise the common values of the new world and of The Four Pillars.... that of Truth, Loyalty, Honor, and Justice.  These are represented by the following four shapes in the deck series and in the story- Circles(Truth), Pentagons(Loyalty), Triangles(Honor), and Crosses(Justice). In the story.  In the future (in 2077), these cards serve as a constant reminder for people of the true values of humanity in order to continue living a peaceful existance on Earth, and they also serve as a reminder of the time when mankind was able to take control of their fate and reclaim their freedom from Earths oppressors. The Shapeshifters Card Game reflects this storyline and players must strategise as they try to see through all the lies and deceipt around them from the other players to be able to take control of their fate and to expose the shapeshifters to be able to win the game (plays a bit like a game of poker with the inclusion a shapshifter cards that are able to take the form of any card of a matching colour, as well as The Four Pillars card that can be used to expose Shapeshifter cards from a players hand.  The Four Pillars Card can be also used to represent any shape/suit in the game to help with making the best 5 card hand to win a round).
For this project, I really wanted to create something that had a deep and valuable meaning...one that I have tried to expressed in the form of both a deck series, card game and a science fiction story/comic book series. And although having a sci fi theme for each, at the core of it all are some important truths about humanity and about the world. My intention for this project is for it to serve as a guide to reshaping the world in which we live, by encouraging people to take control of their fate and to find ways to introduce changes in order to free the world from all the corruption and injustice that has plagued us since the dawn of civilisation.  Eventually I want to be able to offer the Shapeshifter Card Game in a pack that also includes the shapeshifter comic book when it is completed, so people can get into the story and then play the game and have fun while learning valuable lessons on life.... I am hoping for this project to be able to influence kids in a positive way while not being too serious by making it into a fun card game and sci fi story/comic book that has a message behind it, that in order to change the world we need to take control of our fate, (and also, that other influential people around us have the power to deceive, hence the Green Deck in the series titled 'The Power To Deceive'.  (I included design features for cardistry and card magic to try and reach a wider audience to be able to share my message with).
More about the decks design features -
The Green deck also serves as a gaff deck for the Blue 'Take Control Of Your Fate' deck as you ca introduce cards from the Green Deck into the Blue Deck to perform deceptive card tricks with, such as using the card manipulation technique that David Blaine uses for one of his card tricks that is called 'The Shapeshifter' that involves changing a card from one shape to another with thes cards.  The Shapeshifter trick has long been one of my favourite card tricks to perform and can be used with the Shapeshifter Decks to not only change the shape of a card in a trick, but also to change the colour of a shape on the card by using the same method of card manipulation.  While im on the topic of the design features for the decks, the green triangles on the card backings form part of a one way design that if placed back in the deck in the opposite direction to the other cards, the green triangles serve as indicators and allow the deck handler to see specific cards in the deck since the green triangles will be facing in a slightly different direction that goes by unoticed by the spectator but is easily recognised by the trained eye.  Theres a lot more to the design features that I wont get into for now as im sure I have raved on enough lol.

Thanks for reading my rather long post by the way, im sure it was a lot to take in, but thanks if you got this far into reading it lol. I just want to say that really appreciate the feedback you have been giving me on everything and it is great to have your opinions on my deck designs..... even though some of it wasn't what I was hoping to hear its still great to have honest and constructive feedback that will be useful moving forward from here.  Thanks guys :)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:45:41 AM by CLCPC Studio 52 »

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:58:09 AM »

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Wow! What a story. Your passion is obvious. Your creativity is sky-high. I'll say again, I think your art is very good but, your target audience being sci-fi gamers is relatively slim. A fraction of the card playing world and you understand that. Your funding level is low, so your chances of getting funded are good and I wish you the best.

Perhaps we'll see a more traditional offering in the future???
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 07:51:09 AM »

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hi Eddie,
Thanks mate, I will definately try and bounce back from this and in the future I will be sticking to the traditional suits.  Since chatting with you guys I have actually been busy redesigning the Shapeshifter Decks to include the traditional suits and may try and offer them as an alternative in the current Kickstarter if I get the cards designed in time...or thinking of just cancelling it all and launching fresh......and next time I will just keep it simple with one deck and keep the other projects seperate.  Below is a sample of where im at with the new design. It would be great to hear your honest feedback again.  Do you think I am on the right track with this and will card collectors like this sort of design?  Thanks guys

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 06:58:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi Eddie,
Thanks mate, I will definately try and bounce back from this and in the future I will be sticking to the traditional suits.  Since chatting with you guys I have actually been busy redesigning the Shapeshifter Decks to include the traditional suits and may try and offer them as an alternative in the current Kickstarter if I get the cards designed in time...or thinking of just cancelling it all and launching fresh......and next time I will just keep it simple with one deck and keep the other projects seperate.  Below is a sample of where im at with the new design. It would be great to hear your honest feedback again.  Do you think I am on the right track with this and will card collectors like this sort of design?  Thanks guys

It's not unheard of for people to use a dual-suited design when trying to please both the mass audience and one's own desires for something more unique and creative.  You could put the non-traditional suits in the non-traditional corners, top right and bottom left, if you wanted to keep them.  Some might be a little turned off by a four-index design, but not as many as would be by having no traditional pips at all.  Another possibility is to simply include the non-traditional pips in the traditional indices in a non-intrusive way.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 07:12:10 AM »

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hi Don,
Thanks for the great pointers mate, I will keep them in mind going forward with this project.  I have a few other card projects I am working on that I plan to release later this year but I'm not going to give up on this current project just yet, so if it doesn't turn out well this time round I will be back to relaunch it at some stage with just the traditional Blue Fate deck in both standard and holographic Print, with the additional of a Wooden Collectors Box with LED UV PRINTING on the lid.  For the Standard print decks I will be going with USPPC for manufacturing as well.  Hopefully the new offerings plus the simplicity of the campaign will gain some more interest within the card community when it relaunches.   Thanks again and I will let you know when I'm about to launch my next project in a few months  :)