Feedback On Playing Card Designs

Author (Read 3030 times)

Feedback On Playing Card Designs
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:45:25 AM »

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hi everyone,

Craig here from CLCPC Studio 52,

I am a new memeber to the forum so just a little bit about myself first so you can get to know me.....I am an artist, writer, game developer, and product developer who has recently entered the world of playing card designing as I have found that enables me to be creative in all areas of what I enjoy doing which is to create new things to share with the world.  Last year I launched a successful Kickstarter Campaign which enabled me to create my first series of playing cards titled 'Black Dragon Series Playing Cards' as well as raising funds toward establish a new playing card and product design studio that I named CLCPC Studio 52 (CLCPC stands for Craig Lewis Custom Playing Cards) and the services we offer include custom designing playing cards, card games, board games and product design and development for the card industry, gaming industry and magic industry.  Starting a new business has been both challenging and rewarding and so far we have had great support from the card community as well as several leading magic suppliers and retail outlets who have shown an interest in what we have created so far.  I have been working with several amazing artists from around the world on new product developments and playing card designs, and I plan to launch a new project on Kickstarter on March 3rd 2018 that I would like to share with you with as I am hoping to have some feedback :).  If you have time before we launch this weekend, it would be great if you were able to have a look at our Kickstarter Preview Page and leave a comment in the Feedback section to tell us what you think of the project.   I'll just quickly fill you in on a bit about the project........ It is a large scale project incorporating playing cards, card game, comic book series and more, plus we have put together a lot of exclusive Kickstarter rewards to show our appreciation for our supporters.  The goal for this project is to be able to create something truly unique for the card industry and the magic industry with a new approach to card design that was inspired by a Sci Fi Story and Comic Book Series that we had been writing and developing which is now another main goal for the project.  Since each of our projects seemed to work so well together, we decided to merge them all into one big project and offer supporters a wide range of rewards in exchange for helping us with each of these developments.  The result I think is something really unique (as you will soon see) and we really hope that you enjoy checking out our Kickstarter project and it would be great if you would like to also be a part of it as well by joining us in our efforts toward bringing this project to life :).  Here is the link to the Kickstarter Preview Page and it would be great if you could post some feedback for us before we launch this weekend :) Thanks so much!  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/754282482/1810033004?ref=393226&token=ae413118  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the project!

Re: Feedback On Playing Card Designs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:05:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'll keep my comments here and I'll keep them simple.

Decks using non-traditional pips/suits generally have a tough row to hoe in the first place.  Consider using something more standard, or just plain not marketing these as "playing cards" and instead as a custom card game.

Your project seems WAAAAAY too ambitious.  I'm having a hard time soaking it all in.  The reward structure is overly complex.  The idea of having a comic book, story book, specialized card game, movie script, etc. all from this one project is just shooting for the moon with a peashooter.

Who is printing the cards?  For collectors, that's very important - they look for premium quality when paying a premium price, and that's something that not every little printer can deliver (and even some of the major ones have trouble with it)!  Correction - I see you're using MakePlayingCards as your printer...  They're OK, but most people won't pay top dollar for an MPC deck.  Their all-digital printing and laser-cut cards can't deliver the same quality as a good offset printer and a die cutter.  They do give you greater flexibility in terms of quantities you print, though, which makes it easier to see why you'd use them, after looking at the previous "Dragons" project you created.

Best of luck to you - I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Feedback On Playing Card Designs
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 02:42:51 AM »

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hi Don!

Thanks mate!, I have been extremely busy in preparations for launching the Kickstarter Project on time today and making some final adjustments after the great feedback that I received from people about the project after posting to this forum! It has been really helpful and thankyou for your feedback as well! I am really excited to see how things turn out!  Thanks again Don, it's always great to receive feedback and if you have any other thoughts or suggestions that might help us during our campaign that would be great :)

Best Regards,
Craig
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:28:17 PM by CLCPC Studio 52 »