Les Printemps by Ricky Smith [DANANDDAVE.COM]

Author (Read 3077 times)

Les Printemps by Ricky Smith [DANANDDAVE.COM]
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Les Printemps by Ricky Smith dananddave.com

http://shop.dananddave.com/playing-cards/les-printemps-playing-cards.html

Our dear friends Laurel Brandstetter and Ricky Smith created these cards as a tribute to Robert-Houdin in celebration of their wedding. Originally produced as wedding favors, only a small number of Les Printemps playing cards are now being offered to the public.

Robert-Houdin was the father of modern magic and is known for many original inventions. One of his most famous is the Orange Tree, a marvelous illusion in which an orange tree blossoms and then gives fruit right before your eyes. The effect ultimately reveals a borrowed ring inside one of the oranges, and is what inspired the way in which Ricky proposed to Laurel.

Les Printemps playing cards were designed by Mika Machida for Ricky and Laurel and feature a charming illustration of the Orange Tree illusion and a facsimile of Robert-Houdin’s signature.

Printed by The Expert Playing Card Company.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:42:33 AM by Card Player »

Re: Les Printemps by Ricky Smith [DANANDDAVE.COM]
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I feel its a very simple design. I do like it.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Simple, but it has a lot going for it. The fact that these were given to friends of Ricky as wedding favors the likes of Dan & Dave Buck add to the allure of the deck. I really like the "honest" back story. Great idea to help fund Ricky's wedding.

Can someone explain the AoS? I know the logo OR face used is from ZEN. Why is EPCC using it for other decks? What does the logo on the AoS represent?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:10:13 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

Simple, but it has a lot going for it. The fact that these were given to friends of Ricky as wedding favors the likes of Dan & Dave Buck add to the allure of the deck. I really like the "honest" back story. Great idea to help fund Ricky's wedding.

Can someone explain the AoS? I know the logo OR face used is from ZEN. Why is EPCC using it for other decks? What does the logo on the AoS represent?

I think I remember reading somewhere, that is their representation of a Genie. I would imagine they are adopting this as one of, if not their only logo going forward.  A magic based company such as they are, it would make sense to me.  I would guess that any non customized AoS will get this treatment.  Not entirely sure about any of this, it's mostly me speculating.  May be a better idea to ask Bill K via the EPCC PCF AGENT thingy.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I'm surprised that D&D haven't even bothered mentioning whether the cards use EPCC's classic finish or master finish. Just saying "printed by EPCC" would be fine if EPCC offered only one type of stock/finish.

Right then, does anyone over here know what stock/finish was used? Cheers.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I think I remember reading somewhere, that is their representation of a Genie. I would imagine they are adopting this as one of, if not their only logo going forward.  A magic based company such as they are, it would make sense to me.  I would guess that any non customized AoS will get this treatment.  Not entirely sure about any of this, it's mostly me speculating.  May be a better idea to ask Bill K via the EPCC PCF AGENT thingy.

That sounds like a good enough answer for me. I have no need to inquire further. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:18:26 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Like this story! Can't wait to see the back start giving off oranges!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Like this story! Can't wait to see the back start giving off oranges!

Lol Yes Tom, that would be impressive! :))

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »

diagonalpalmshift

• Newcomer
Hello Team!

Thank you for posting about these and for the comments!

I would like some oranges to come off of the backs as well!

Wedding went great, and I think the cards came out quite excellently.

Best,

Ricky

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I'm surprised that D&D haven't even bothered mentioning whether the cards use EPCC's classic finish or master finish. Just saying "printed by EPCC" would be fine if EPCC offered only one type of stock/finish.

Right then, does anyone over here know what stock/finish was used? Cheers.

What sense? Mr. Kalush said somewhere that any new deck has its own different handling.

Orange colour on backs could be even better, as well as the "Fantastique" effect on them (read "animation of a growing tree").

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Hello Team!

Best,

Ricky

Congratulations Ricky!
I haven't received mine yet, but from what I've seen these look great. I really enjoyed the backstory on these. It truly makes this a special deck.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 01:44:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello Team!

Best,

Ricky

Hey, Ricky - congratulations and welcome to the joys and sorrows of married life.  They're just like in regular life, but you have someone to share them with!  Wishing you and your bride a happy, peaceful union.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

• The Expert Playing Card Company
Hi Guys,
This was an especially fun project for us because Ricky is such an important part of Conjuring Arts (which owns Expert PCC).
We did these in Master Finish. Presently the first and only decks Expert has released using Classic Finish are the Classic series. Other custom decks will come out soon from other designers using Classic finish. Many guys really like the more embossed and more papery feel of Classic.
We are starting to adopt the "Genie" as our main logo and you will see his face on our website, Zen decks, our standard Ace of Spades and other swag that is coming soon.
Before Expert we printed a bit over 100,000 decks at USPCC and they were all marketed by Conjuring Arts. We put Conjuring Arts name on these decks and occasionally we heard from magicians that during a performance (or after) a curious laymen picked up the deck's box and read the word "Conjuring" and immediately assumed the deck was trick. We thought that by using the Genie face we could still keep something magical on the cards without spectators thinking the deck was trick.
Hope this clears a few things up.

bk