You are Here:
Your top 3 in these categories

Author (Read 4470 times)

Your top 3 in these categories
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »

bruh man

I am just now beginning to collect decks and it's really overwhelming to this newcomer the amount of beautifully designed decks that have come out and/or are coming out, so I would really love to get everyones opinion on their top 3 in these categories. I would really appreciate it as it would help me decide which decks to start off my collection with.

Back design
1)
2)
3)

Face design
1)
2)
3)

Tuck Box
1)
2)
3)

Handling
1)
2)
3)

Overall favorites
1)
2)
3)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:56:17 PM by bruh man »

Re: Your top 5 in these categories
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:08:47 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
holy shnikes!

How about we give you our one from each catogory. With enough people you can then decide on your own which you want.

Favorite Back:
U.S Regulation Arrco's made in Ohio by USPCC. Not the ones sold on eBay by pokerstud52, those are reprints and handle like shit! You can also get a white reprint by NY Magic Project, which are good value.

Favorite Face:
Royal Optik by Uusi (red and black (blue))

Favorite Tuck:
I don't buy decks for the tuck, but I just backed a deck called Empire Bloodlines in blue, green and limited Black/Gold. It has to be a new favorite of mine. David Blaine's new gatorbacks are a contender now also. Theory11 well known for their tucks most noted by me Black JAQK's and Red Monarch's.

Favorite Handling
Tough one. So many good ones. Blaine's White Lions Series A are a handling favorite of many, Black and Silver Acorn Backs by CARC both Ivory and Cambric magic finish (Great Value). Gold Standard, Turner Bicycle Rider Backs have bee stock and traditionally cut (Great Value).

Favorite  Overall:
Madison Dealers in Green (full back design and marked) and (as above) U.S. Regulation Arrco (Ohio). Who can forget the Aristocrat Bank Notes (727) (Great Value).

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:18:22 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:54:41 PM »

bruh man

holy shnikes!

How about we give you our one from each catogory. With enough people you can then decide on your own which you want.

Favorite Back:
U.S Regulation Arrco's made in Ohio by USPCC. Not the ones sold on eBay by pokerstud52, those are reprints and handle like shit! You can also get a white reprint by NY Magic Project, which are good value.

Favorite Face:
Royal Optik by Uusi (red and blue)

Favorite Tuck:
I don't buy decks for the tuck, but I just backed a deck called Empire Bloodlines in blue, green and limited Black/Gold. It has to be a new favorite of mine. David Blane's new gatorbacks are a contender now also. Theory11 Black JAQK's and Red Monarch's.

Favorite Handling
Tough one. So many good ones. Blaine's White Lions Series A, Black and Silver Acorn Backs by CARC both Ivory and Cambric. Gold Standard, Turner Bicycle Rider Backs.

Favorite  Overall:
Madison Dealers in Green and (as above) U.S. Regulation Arrco (Ohio).

Enjoy!
Thank you for the response Card Player, top 5 is a bit excessive so I'll change that.

I have already ordered the Royal Optiks in both colors, a bit expensive compared to other custom decks but they look amazing.  I have ordered the Madison Dealers as well because I've heard nothing but positive things about them.  I missed out on the Empire Kickstarter but I really really want to get my hands on those.  I also want to get the White Lion David Blaines,  and will definitely check out the U.S. Regulation Arrco (Ohio) any sites you would recommend for buying those? Don't want to get reprints or knock offs.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
holy shnikes!

Favorite Back:

Favorite Face:
Royal Optik by Uusi (red and blue)

Favorite Tuck:
I don't buy decks for the tuck, but I just backed a deck called Empire Bloodlines in blue, green and limited Black/Gold. It has to be a new favorite of mine. David Blane's new gatorbacks are a contender now also. Theory11 Black JAQK's and Red Monarch's.

Favorite Handling
Tough one. So many good ones. Blaine's White Lions Series A, Black and Silver Acorn Backs by CARC both Ivory and Cambric. Gold Standard, Turner Bicycle Rider Backs.

Favorite  Overall:
Madison Dealers in Green and (as above) U.S. Regulation Arrco (Ohio).

Enjoy!
Thank you for the response Card Player, top 5 is a bit excessive so I'll change that.

I have already ordered the Royal Optiks in both colors, a bit expensive compared to other custom decks but they look amazing.  I have ordered the Madison Dealers as well because I've heard nothing but positive things about them.  I missed out on the Empire Kickstarter but I really really want to get my hands on those.  I also want to get the White Lion David Blaines,  and will definitely check out the U.S. Regulation Arrco (Ohio) any sites you would recommend for buying those? Don't want to get reprints or knock offs.

Good for you. Royal Optik are beautiful decks!

I bought my U.S. Regulations after they were discontinued. I picked 6 up from a seller on eBay called fullboatdealer. Shortly after that, D&D sold a whole bunch for an awesome price. I could not resist and picked up 6 more. At this point, I'd imagine they go for a bit more now. "NY Magic Project" still sells the White Reprints. http://arrcocards.com/products/arrco-playing-cards/ Nice cards if buying them for the back design. They handle well enough also.

White Lions Series A are going to be expensive per deck ($16 - $22) on eBay. The Series B are now more expensive also. The White Lions Box Set used to go for $100, Now $200 on DB's store. Maybe wait for a sale. DB does have some sweet discounts every now and again. Owning a DB box set is awesome, signed and numbered.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:41:52 AM by Card Player »

Re: Your top 3 in these categories
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 03:00:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello, Bruh Man!

Rather than specific decks, I'm going to offer general advice.

There are loads and loads of playing cards out there.  You will NEVER collect them all, so please, for the sake of your bank account, DON'T TRY!  :))

Go slow with your initial purchases.  Get decks that are currently still available at the original retail price rather than hunting older, rarer, more costly ones.  You can look into them later as you gain more experience as a collector.

Please be picky about what you buy!  I started off willy-nilly, buying whatever the hell I wanted - and now many of those decks are sitting in my collection, hardly touched.  They were interesting for a while, but the charm wore off.  I might revisit them now and then as a goof, but it probably would have been a smarter choice to forgo buying them in the first place.

Don't buy a deck because you think you must have it in your collection for it to be complete.  Buy it instead because you really, really like it.  I know a number of collectors who specialize in buying all decks with the Bicycle brand name on them - and as a result, a lot of crappy deck designs got made under the Bicycle brand because designers assume that no matter how bad the deck is, those guys will buy it.  So a battle ensues in the collector's mind: the deck fan in them says "No, stay away, they're repellent!," but the completist in them screams "Gotta get 'em ALL!!"  Fortunately for some, the deck fan in them is louder than the completist!  Don't let the completist make your buying decisions.

Advice about handling from anyone about any deck can and should be taken with a little grain of salt.  One man's perfect deck is another man's disgusting heap that should be burned rather than used.  Opinions about stocks and finishes vary more than the winds.

Don't make a huge collection all in one shot - again, with lack of differentiation, you'll wind up with decks you really don't like all that much.  Be slow, be patient, be true to what you really love.  You'll learn more about the cards while slowly building your collection and your tastes will become more apparent and refined.  As you gain experience, then you can make more informed choices about snapping up a lot of cards all at once.

Lastly - you are the one in control of your hobby.  Don't let the balance of power swing in the other direction!  If you're choosing gas for the car or some groceries versus buying a handful of new decks - let the decks go!  Decks are like buses, trains and cellphones - there's always more coming.

Card Player: FYI - NY Magic Project is Kevin Reylek of the Blue Crown.  His Bicycle Lefty deck is still on sale there, now in blue as well as the original red.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Card Player: FYI - NY Magic Project is Kevin Reylek of the Blue Crown.  His Bicycle Lefty deck is still on sale there, now in blue as well as the original red.

Yup, I remember. Thanks for the info.

Ah, the good old lefty deck. :)) Funny... The one thing I never learned to do with my right hand was fan a deck of cards. I'm actually looking for a left handed coffee mug. lol I can't seem to find one anywhere. lol haha :))

Off Subject >> I never understood why people use their writing hand for a computer mouse? I like my left hand to be free to write when using a computer mouse in the other.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »

bruh man

Hello, Bruh Man!

There are loads and loads of playing cards out there.  You will NEVER collect them all, so please, for the sake of your bank account, DON'T TRY!  :))

Go slow with your initial purchases.  Get decks that are currently still available at the original retail price rather than hunting older, rarer, more costly ones.  You can look into them later as you gain more experience as a collector.

Please be picky about what you buy!  I started off willy-nilly, buying whatever the hell I wanted - and now many of those decks are sitting in my collection, hardly touched.  They were interesting for a while, but the charm wore off.  I might revisit them now and then as a goof, but it probably would have been a smarter choice to forgo buying them in the first place.

Don't buy a deck because you think you must have it in your collection for it to be complete.  Buy it instead because you really, really like it.  I know a number of collectors who specialize in buying all decks with the Bicycle brand name on them - and as a result, a lot of crappy deck designs got made under the Bicycle brand because designers assume that no matter how bad the deck is, those guys will buy it.  So a battle ensues in the collector's mind: the deck fan in them says "No, stay away, they're repellent!," but the completist in them screams "Gotta get 'em ALL!!"  Fortunately for some, the deck fan in them is louder than the completist!  Don't let the completist make your buying decisions.

Advice about handling from anyone about any deck can and should be taken with a little grain of salt.  One man's perfect deck is another man's disgusting heap that should be burned rather than used.  Opinions about stocks and finishes vary more than the winds.

Don't make a huge collection all in one shot - again, with lack of differentiation, you'll wind up with decks you really don't like all that much.  Be slow, be patient, be true to what you really love.  You'll learn more about the cards while slowly building your collection and your tastes will become more apparent and refined.  As you gain experience, then you can make more informed choices about snapping up a lot of cards all at once.

Lastly - you are the one in control of your hobby.  Don't let the balance of power swing in the other direction!  If you're choosing gas for the car or some groceries versus buying a handful of new decks - let the decks go!  Decks are like buses, trains and cellphones - there's always more coming.

That is some really great advice Don, I really appreciate it.

After my first couple of purchases I am not going to be purchasing many decks, probably only a select few every year.  I don't ever see myself buying a brick, but I will buy multiples of certain decks.  Some will be gifts, some I will use regularly, and others I will set aside.  I bought a pair of the Split Spades as well as a pair of the Smoke & Mirrors and that's what got me started, really great decks.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:53:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That is some really great advice Don, I really appreciate it.

After my first couple of purchases I am not going to be purchasing many decks, probably only a select few every year.  I don't ever see myself buying a brick, but I will buy multiples of certain decks.  Some will be gifts, some I will use regularly, and others I will set aside.  I bought a pair of the Split Spades as well as a pair of the Smoke & Mirrors and that's what got me started, really great decks.

You set whatever pace you're comfortable with.  You control the hobby, not the other way around.  :))

Off Subject >> I never understood why people use their writing hand for a computer mouse? I like my left hand to be free to write when using a computer mouse in the other.

I'm predominantly left-handed and write left-handed, but I'm ambidextrous with a push-around mouse and I use my right hand for controlling touchpad and trackball mice.  Generally, I prefer the right hand for mouse control and will always default to the right pinky when reaching for the shift key, even when hitting a key with the right hand - the right shift key is always among the first to wear out on any cheap keyboard I use.  I also default to hitting the space bar with the right thumb.  I pistol-shoot righty, rifle-shoot lefty.  My right arm is stronger than my left, but I think that has a lot to do with my sword practice in aikido - right hand for power, left hand for control.  Weird, hunh?

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I pistol-shoot righty, rifle-shoot lefty.

Never shot a real gun before. I'm a big guy, handle myself well... I never felt the need to have one for protection. But it is an American birth right (in some states) I would like to try once at a target range. You described it exactly how I would do it. Pistol right hand, rifle left shoulder.

Throw Left, Bat Left, Handle a fork Left, Brush my teeth Right... You get the idea... :)) TNT

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Hey man!

I think Don's assessment is pretty much spot on.

The answers anyone gives for all 5 categories will always be highly subjective, because everybody's idea of what does and doesn't look nice can potentially be different (as they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"), and what people look for in a tuck can also be different.

Even handling is subjective, because of things such as preferences towards thick/thin cards, stiff/flexible cards, and the amount of slip. Magicians and those who do gambling demos (such as me!) will look for different things in the feel of cards.

Therefore, although this post is going to be long, I'll briefly jot down why I have chosen what I have.

(Other than for the handling section, I'll try and limit my picks to decks which aren't ultra difficult to get hold of just yet, and won't cost an arm and a leg. Also, my picks won't be in any particular order)

Back Design:
(1) LUXX by JP Playing Card Company
The intricate detail and choice of vivid colours for this back design looks both elegant, and spectacular. For what it's worth, it's my favourite back design to date
(2) Aurum by Encarded
Again, the fine detail on this back design is quite incredible, and great use of metalic inks
(3) The Hive by Kings Wild Project
The design clearly takes inspiration from the Tally-Ho design... but it's done in such a way that it cannot be considered a "knock off" in any respect -- it stands tall and shines in its own right. Great work by Brendon and KWP.

Honourable mentions:
- Ornate (all decks) by Midnight Cards and HOPC
- Mana (first edition and third edition) by Erik Mana

Faces:
(1) Egyptian Legends or the Gnostics by LPCC
Yeah, the faces are standard ones... but they have the best recoloured traditional court cards around. They have this awesome shade of gold ink which in turn makes the reds and blues really 'pop' on the courts.
(2) Clipped Wings by Emmanuel Jose
I don't usually care for art decks... but Emmanual's work is an exception because it's in a league of its own. The faces are as unique as they get, and the method used to create the designs is simply excellent. Very original.
(3) Pagan by UUSI
Again, this is more an art deck than a deck for performing gambling slights with... but the custom artwork is really good.

Tuck Box:
(1) Egyptian Legends
This tuck has it all -- foil, embossed foil, a papyrus feel (rather than the), really shiny foil on the interior of the box, thick and sturdy card, a die cut window, and then the usual LPCC traits such as the larger tuck flap, and perforated seal. Furthermore, it looks beautiful.
(2) LUXX
Same plus points as the Egyptian Legends, but without the die cut window. What it does have though, is phenomenal design and excellent use of foil. In terms of look, I think this one is as good as it gets.
(3) Medallions by Theory11
As usual, there's a lot of detail on the tuck of a T11 deck... but this tuck is made using a really soft type of paper which has a luxury feel to it, much like the red monarchs.

Honourable mentions:
- The Hive
- Sultan Republic
- Madison Rounders private reserve.

(Okay, I'm joking about the Rounders private reserve -- only a blank box would be less spectacular. Lol)

Handling:
(1) Sharps
In my opinion, the best handling 'paper feel' deck of cards produced in the last 5 years (at least!). The combination of a well balanced (in terms of flexibility and sturdyness) cardstock combined with the coating that Legends cards use, make these cards unrivalled. The thickness of the cards, I find perfect. This deck will likely remain tough to get hold of... so try and get hold of any deck by EPCC or LPCC which uses their "classic finish" to get a first hand idea of how good these cards handle.
(2) Egyptian Legends
Same thickness and coating as the Sharps... but with a stiffer and longer lasting card stock. For fans and virtually any type of card work, this deck is exceptional. I practice with these every day.
(3) Richard Turner gold standard Bee
In my opinion, the best handling deck USPCC has made. They are made from their top-of-the-line Bee Casino cardstock, and compressed to a lesser thickness... and so they have really nice 'snap' to them and are brilliant for all sleights. Virtually impossible to find these days though.
(4) Fournier 605 -- Lee Asher Signature series
Yes, I've added a 4th one because Lee's deck is that good. A very different feel to any other cards on the market today, and they have a combination of excellent slip and a nice, sturdy cardstock. These are excellent for shuffle work such as riffle stacking. These decks are reputed to be ultra-long lasting. For people are looking for cards that feel different and handle well, I consider the 605s a "must have".

Overall:
(1) Sharps
(2) LUXX
(3) Egyptian Legends
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:00:37 PM by HolyJJ »
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »

bruh man

Hey man!

I think Don's assessment is pretty much spot on.

The answers anyone gives for all 5 categories will always be highly subjective, because everybody's idea of what does and doesn't look nice can potentially be different (as they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"), and what people look for in a tuck can also be different.

Even handling is subjective, because of things such as preferences towards thick/thin cards, stiff/flexible cards, and the amount of slip. Magicians and those who do gambling demos (such as me!) will look for different things in the feel of cards.

Therefore, although this post is going to be long, I'll briefly jot down why I have chosen what I have.

(Other than for the handling section, I'll try and limit my picks to decks which aren't ultra difficult to get hold of just yet, and won't cost an arm and a leg. Also, my picks won't be in any particular order)

Back Design:
(1) LUXX by JP Playing Card Company
The intricate detail and choice of vivid colours for this back design looks both elegant, and spectacular. For what it's worth, it's my favourite back design to date
(2) Aurum by Encarded
Again, the fine detail on this back design is quite incredible, and great use of metalic inks
(3) The Hive by Kings Wild Project
The design clearly takes inspiration from the Tally-Ho design... but it's done in such a way that it cannot be considered a "knock off" in any respect -- it stands tall and shines in its own right. Great work by Brendon and KWP.

Honourable mentions:
- Ornate (all decks) by Midnight Cards and HOPC
- Mana (first edition and third edition) by Erik Mana

Faces:
(1) Egyptian Legends or the Gnostics by LPCC
Yeah, the faces are standard ones... but they have the best recoloured traditional court cards around. They have this awesome shade of gold ink which in turn makes the reds and blues really 'pop' on the courts.
(2) Clipped Wings by Emmanuel Jose
I don't usually care for art decks... but Emmanual's work is an exception because it's in a league of its own. The faces are as unique as they get, and the method used to create the designs is simply excellent. Very original.
(3) Pagan by UUSI
Again, this is more an art deck than a deck for performing gambling slights with... but the custom artwork is really good.

Tuck Box:
(1) Egyptian Legends
This tuck has it all -- foil, embossed foil, a papyrus feel (rather than the), really shiny foil on the interior of the box, thick and sturdy card, a die cut window, and then the usual LPCC traits such as the larger tuck flap, and perforated seal. Furthermore, it looks beautiful.
(2) LUXX
Same plus points as the Egyptian Legends, but without the die cut window. What it does have though, is phenomenal design and excellent use of foil. In terms of look, I think this one is as good as it gets.
(3) Medallions by Theory11
As usual, there's a lot of detail on the tuck of a T11 deck... but this tuck is made using a really soft type of paper which has a luxury feel to it, much like the red monarchs.

Honourable mentions:
- The Hive
- Sultan Republic
- Madison Rounders private reserve.

(Okay, I'm joking about the Rounders private reserve -- only a blank box would be less spectacular. Lol)

Handling:
(1) Sharps
In my opinion, the best handling 'paper feel' deck of cards produced in the last 5 years (at least!). The combination of a well balanced (in terms of flexibility and sturdyness) cardstock combined with the coating that Legends cards use, make these cards unrivalled. The thickness of the cards, I find perfect. This deck will likely remain tough to get hold of... so try and get hold of any deck by EPCC or LPCC which uses their "classic finish" to get a first hand idea of how good these cards handle.
(2) Egyptian Legends
Same thickness and coating as the Sharps... but with a stiffer and longer lasting card stock. For fans and virtually any type of card work, this deck is exceptional. I practice with these every day.
(3) Richard Turner gold standard Bee
In my opinion, the best handling deck USPCC has made. They are made from their top-of-the-line Bee Casino cardstock, and compressed to a lesser thickness... and so they have really nice 'snap' to them and are brilliant for all sleights. Virtually impossible to find these days though.
(4) Fournier 605 -- Lee Asher Signature series
Yes, I've added a 4th one because Lee's deck is that good. A very different feel to any other cards on the market today, and they have a combination of excellent slip and a nice, sturdy cardstock. These are excellent for shuffle work such as riffle stacking. These decks are reputed to be ultra-long lasting. For people are looking for cards that feel different and handle well, I consider the 605s a "must have".

Overall:
(1) Sharps
(2) LUXX
(3) Egyptian Legends
Thank you for the detailed reply HolyJJ. 

I have been waiting patiently for my Egyptian Legends to arrive, can't wait to get my hands on those.  The Luxx do look beautiful but they are currently out of stock.  The Aurum is probably my favorite back design out of all the decks I've looked at but I can't find any for sale except for ebay which I'm very wary of, so if anyone has a suggestion of where to look that would be great.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
If you don't like to get stuff off of eBay, you can go to http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/aurum-playing-cards?search=Aurum to purchase the deck. He's selling them for £12.99. Much cheaper than what's on eBay.

Also, let's not forget Jackson's decks.
Out of the decks he's designed, I'm an absolute massive fan of the Sherlock decks.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:34:50 PM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 05:36:50 PM »

bruh man

If you don't like to get stuff off of eBay, you can go to http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/aurum-playing-cards?search=Aurum to purchase the deck. He's selling them for £12.99. Much cheaper than what's on eBay.

Also, let's not forget Jackson's decks.
Out of the decks he's designed, I'm an absolute massive fan of the Sherlock decks.
Perfect Thanks a lot Nurul, didn't realize JPPlayingcards had them.  Jackson's decks are beautiful especially the original Federal 52's just bit too much for my liking, and the Sherlock decks are really cool especially and if you are a fan of Holmes then I would say they are a must buy.

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
I am just now beginning to collect decks and it's really overwhelming to this newcomer the amount of beautifully designed decks that have come out and/or are coming out, so I would really love to get everyones opinion on their top 3 in these categories. I would really appreciate it as it would help me decide which decks to start off my collection with.

Back design
1)
2)
3)

Face design
1)
2)
3)

Tuck Box
1)
2)
3)

Handling
1)
2)
3)

Overall favorites
1)
2)
3)

All of my answers are in no particular order...
Back design
1) Monarchs (Any) Just gorgeous.
2) Origins (Either) These are the second best deck to come from KS, Second only to anything Uusi has produced.
3) Bohemia (Either) These guys couldn't make a bad deck if they had a gun to their head.

Face design
1) Origins
2) Bohemia
3) Royal Optik

Tuck Box
1) Bohemia
2) Origins
3) Monarchs

Handling
1) Legends V1. This is my all time favorite usable deck and nothing even comes close.  (Drops the Mic)
2) Rider backs. I like to perform so I am used to these as a go to deck.
3) Noc V3.  Again we are back to the EPCC/LPPC companies.  These guys are good.

Overall favorites
1) Bohemia.  Again, Uusi can do no wrong.  This is a fact.
2) Legends V1. These decks are unstoppable!
3) Royal Optik.  I thought long and hard over this last selection.  I just love this team. 

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 01:49:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I pistol-shoot righty, rifle-shoot lefty.

Never shot a real gun before. I'm a big guy, handle myself well... I never felt the need to have one for protection. But it is an American birth right (in some states) I would like to try once at a target range. You described it exactly how I would do it. Pistol right hand, rifle left shoulder.

Throw Left, Bat Left, Handle a fork Left, Brush my teeth Right... You get the idea... :)) TNT

I'll end this wonderful tangent with saying that I've only handled guns on the few times I've been at ranges, both indoor and out.

Favorite handgun was the Heckler & Koch VP70 - this was MI6's replacement for the Walther PPK, but is no longer in their service and no longer being manufactured, and the older ones are not cheap if you can find them.  Of guns still available, the 9mm Glocks are sweet - the reduced weight from the polycarbonate frame makes them easier to handle.  Still, I find the whole lack of jamming issues very appealing with revolvers, so were I to purchase a gun, I might lean toward a low-caliber revolver like a .22 - they can actually be more dangerous than their higher-caliber brethren because of how the bullets, once they've penetrated, often lack the power to exit the body and will instead ricochet from bone to bone in the chest cavity or the skull, tearing a path through the soft tissues.  If you don't hit the torso or the head, though, extremity wounds from it are less likely to do enough damage to stop someone compared to being injured by something more powerful.

Favorite rifle so far was the AK-47 - while it's got one helluva kick, in single-shot mode I was surprisingly accurate with it over long distances, so I'm thinking the range owner gave his guns a lot more TLC than most.  AK-47s are usually known for being less accurate but damn near indestructible, nearly immune to environmental conditions, especially compared to the high-maintenance but more accurate M-16.

Favorite overall is the Winchester 12-gauge shotgun.  I have some photos of me in a suit carrying one at the range - even in the dorky ear-protectors, it's hard not to look bad-ass!  They are a lot of FUN to shoot and at close range, accuracy is the least of your concerns - it's a true point-n-shoot!

It's been fun talking guns for a wee bit, but should we decide to continue, we should move this to the Parlor.

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »

_Daniel_

Such good advice! I encountered that when I first discovered the playing card creative hub that is KickStarter, bit of a rabbit in headlights effect, I was stunned and backed a few more than I should have, luckily most were really good!

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »

_Daniel_

For me a good tuck box is almost as important as nice card design, it's what I see most often when looking at my collection. My top 3 are:

Tuck Box
1) Atelier (Robert Padbury) [I was surprised I chose this as my number one, something about the simplicity compared to most other tucks just makes me love it!]
2) Zenith (Encarded)
3) Holmes Baker Street LE (KingsWildProject)
(mentions to Bicycle Archangel, Independence (KWP), Origins (Rick Davidson) and JAQK)

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 05:38:53 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
Not that I'm accusing you of this, but just a small piece of advice. Don't collect decks because they are "must collect" decks. I hate to see this hobby of ours become another fly by night fad chasing exercise. Collect decks that mean something to you personally. My deck list is probably a lot different than the others because I tend to prefer USPC designed decks - old and new. The KS craze I mostly stay away from - maybe to my own chagrin, but it doesn't really excite me as much as other people. However, if I back a deck, it's simply because I truly like the deck, and not because it's the new hot deck everyone is backing. I like Daniel Madison's stuff, because his design style really speaks to me as a designer. I don't care for the Jackson Robinson stuff as much, although he is one hell of an incredible designer don't get me wrong - it's just a style preference.
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »

_Daniel_

Not that I'm accusing you of this, but just a small piece of advice. Don't collect decks because they are "must collect" decks. I hate to see this hobby of ours become another fly by night fad chasing exercise. Collect decks that mean something to you personally. My deck list is probably a lot different than the others because I tend to prefer USPC designed decks - old and new. The KS craze I mostly stay away from - maybe to my own chagrin, but it doesn't really excite me as much as other people. However, if I back a deck, it's simply because I truly like the deck, and not because it's the new hot deck everyone is backing. I like Daniel Madison's stuff, because his design style really speaks to me as a designer. I don't care for the Jackson Robinson stuff as much, although he is one hell of an incredible designer don't get me wrong - it's just a style preference.

I thought this was a really good point. I have probably fallen foul to what you describe a couple times. I sometimes wonder what causes the preference we have in card design, whether it's a compulsory neurological reason or just completely arbitrary...

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

I thought this was a really good point. I have probably fallen foul to what you describe a couple times. I sometimes wonder what causes the preference we have in card design, whether it's a compulsory neurological reason or just completely arbitrary...

I love this exchange. My two cents, buy decks you like. Don't buy decks you don't like. It's not a weight and measures of anything other than your own personal taste. There's something about a deck that inspired you to take pause and check it out. Odds are you know if you like it by looking at it. Not by who made it, who bought it, or where it came from. Those things just clutter the purity of the decks imho. (handling not included, entirely different ball of wax)

The value of a deck of cards is what someone will pay for it. The value of your card collection is how much you enjoy it, doesn't matter what's in it. If the decks that are in it are what you like, then you have a very nice collection. If the decks in it don't make you smile, well there's some work to be done there. :)

I couldn't possibly list my top three decks for various categories. I'll say what are on my desk at the moment though. Gnostic Rose Gold, Tally Ho Circle Back blue, Brazil 2014, and the ever present Bicycle red rider backs. My pocket deck is currently Tally Ho Circle back red. I guess those are my current favorites. I find I go back to the Tally Ho's a lot, they're kind of my go to deck. Inexpensive and wonderful. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »

bruh man

I love this exchange. My two cents, buy decks you like. Don't buy decks you don't like. It's not a weight and measures of anything other than your own personal taste. There's something about a deck that inspired you to take pause and check it out. Odds are you know if you like it by looking at it. Not by who made it, who bought it, or where it came from. Those things just clutter the purity of the decks imho. (handling not included, entirely different ball of wax)

The value of a deck of cards is what someone will pay for it. The value of your card collection is how much you enjoy it, doesn't matter what's in it. If the decks that are in it are what you like, then you have a very nice collection. If the decks in it don't make you smile, well there's some work to be done there. :)

I couldn't possibly list my top three decks for various categories. I'll say what are on my desk at the moment though. Gnostic Rose Gold, Tally Ho Circle Back blue, Brazil 2014, and the ever present Bicycle red rider backs. My pocket deck is currently Tally Ho Circle back red. I guess those are my current favorites. I find I go back to the Tally Ho's a lot, they're kind of my go to deck. Inexpensive and wonderful. :)
I appreciate the advice from everyone, but I'm surely not going to buy decks just because they are popular or because I feel like they are a must buy.  I just wanted to get an idea of what all decks were out that I might not have known about.  If not for this forum I might not have heard of Uusi and now the Royal Optik's are probably my favorite deck design I have yet to see overall.  I don't plan on having a big collection, and most of the decks I purchase I plan on putting them to use.  I will buy duplicates only of decks I really really like that are produced at a limited quantity.

Regarding Kickstarter I never thought I would participate in one but I recently backed the Empire 'Bloodlines' edition, It's a beautiful deck of cards and I wanted to get my hands on all three of the colors available. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:55:14 PM by bruh man »

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 04:06:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm in agreement with Publius on the idea of "must collect" decks.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING.  Not one deck out there is a deck that everyone who collects absolutely has to have - not even Bicycle Rider Backs, though most end up with them anyway!

You will learn that a lot of hype can build around certain decks and designers/companies.  (A lot of it we create for them at no charge!)  But you still need to look to buy only those decks that really move you.  No one wants a collection loaded with decks that are mostly mediocre in your own opinion.  That last bit, "in your own opinion", is important - it truly is only your opinion that matters when it comes to your personal tastes.

Never buy something because everyone else is.  You are NOT a lemming!

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I love lists like this.  It really helped me discover decks I wasn't aware of when I first started.  Many of them I just said 'nope' and moved on, but quite a few I was glad I discovered and got while I could. It also allowed me to take a closer look at some I ignored because it wasn't custom enough with faces, but later appreciated due to a great back, tuck, etc. 

I responded to your categories, but also included my overall top 10 further below.  Typically I am focused on courts and face design in general.

Back design - Been too busy to appreciate this and because I'm so focused on face design I'm sure I'm forgetting some so here's the ones that are memorable.
1) Branded Black Reserve Note
2) Seasons Primavera
3) Origins

Face design - see top 10 below

Tuck Box - I suppose this should be more important to me now that I have my decks in a case, but the faces still win out.
1) Branded Black Reserve Note
2) Seasons Primavera
3) Origins

Handling - meh, I started experimenting with cardistry and appreciate a well handling deck for playing card games, but the subtleties between them isn't huge for me.  I have however really appreciated a good handling deck vs some of the garbage I grew up playing cards with. Gave away and threw/burned quite a few older decks that were just crap.

Overall favorites - my list below is borrowed from another 'must have list of modern decks' I participated in, so there are others that I like more, but some were bumped up the list due to cost/availability/etc. I also mostly only included decks I own since I've found a few that were better on the screen than in person (don't meet your heros). I know a few that once I get my hands on will require adjustments to this list (Sawdust, Seasons Verana, N.17, etc)

Honorable Mention. Dark Suits by Mr Mead - This was really the one that started it for me. I somewhat collected neat decks traveling, but this is what caused me to open my eyes and search out what else was out there.
10. Civil War (Blue) [Bicycle] - Simply included as the best standard deck, for the price and artwork and quality you can't beat it.
9. Cigar [Bicycle] - One of my favorite 808 decks (Espionage was close too), there's something about this one combined with the reasonable pricing.
8. Ultimate Deck - The controversy!  :lol: One of the first ones I got and more pricey as well, but it helped sell me on the idea of custom decks, transformation decks and especially uncuts.
7. Joker [Bicycle] - A strange choice perhaps, but I enjoy the Jokers. Too bad it was such a pathetic effort and 'unfinished'.
6. Empire - The only one I DON"T have yet. I like the new version, but there is something about this original.
5. Seasons Primavera - Much prefer this over Seronda, but the level of detail in the artwork is so amazing.
4. Origins First Edition - History, great art and superb quality.
3. Clipped Wings - I'm a sucker for (semi)transformation decks and the cut paper design approach is awesome, the variety and every card is custom.
2. Curator - Same as above, but this gets the additional nod for being the first and having a wider variety.
1. Federal 52 Black Reserve Note [Bicycle] - The best in the Federal series or even all of JR's decks by a long shot. Not even close.

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Off Subject >> I never understood why people use their writing hand for a computer mouse? I like my left hand to be free to write when using a computer mouse in the other
If I stuck my mouse in my left hand the  right click left click would confuse my brain by becoming the opposite. Also.. what exactly are you doing on your computer that has you typing and "mousing" at the same time?

My right arm is stronger than my left, but I think that has a lot to do with my sword practice in aikido

Here is an idea.. steroids, but just in your aikido arm.  Wait till your ninja arm has become substantially bigger than the other arm, throw on some spandex, perhaps a cape and legally change your name to "the Fiddler". Proceed to fight crime.

Now on to the cards.
Back design--  David Blaine's Gatorback riders they are craaaaazy nice.
Tuck box-- Gnostic decks from Conjuring arts/ Expert Playing Card Co/ Legends Playing Card company

and for handling.. meh. Don't get fooled by the marketing.

USPCC offers embossed and smooth (dont mess with smooth for fans), then a couple paper stocks. Your going to be hard pressed to find a huge difference between custom prints.

LPCC has a PVC coating that last a bit longer, which some like and others don't.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:16:44 PM by DarkDerp »
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
If I stuck my mouse in my left hand the  right click left click would confuse my brain by becoming the opposite. Also.. what exactly are you doing on your computer that has you typing and "mousing" at the same time?

I work with lots of numbers and I'm constantly using a pen, paper and/or keyboard in my left hand while I work the mouse in my right. I also own a Wacom - Bamboo Pen and Tablet that I use in my left hand while I navigate a mouse in my right. Although if I'm honest, I don't use the pen and tablet all that much anymore.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:13:25 PM by Card Player »