You are Here:
Seasons Playing Cards - SOLD OUT!

Author (Read 81484 times)

Re: Seasons Playing Cards - Launch April 30th!!
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular
this will be the first custom deck i own. beautiful cards.

« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:43 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Don... You were always a Joker in my book...  And if you wouldn't mind... 11:11 CST or CDT is what time for us NYers... Just please let me know what time I'll be able to get the deck... These foreign time calculations and the comparisons of CST vs. CDT have my head whirling... I'll research it later to get a firm grasp, but for now what are we working with... Thanks, J.

« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2012, 12:07:09 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Don... You were always a Joker in my book...  And if you wouldn't mind... 11:11 CST or CDT is what time for us NYers... Just please let me know what time I'll be able to get the deck... These foreign time calculations and the comparisons of CST vs. CDT have my head whirling... I'll research it later to get a firm grasp, but for now what are we working with... Thanks, J.
The release time is 12:11 am EDT
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:37:35 AM by Evan »

« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »

DelMagic

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
This time issue is a problem.

11:11 PM and 12:11 PM are 11-hours apart, not 1-hour. 12:11 PM is early in the afternoon while 11:11 PM is nearly midnight. And 11:11 PM CST is actually 12:11 AM CDT but you have a date change involved which makes it even more messy. I can't wait to hear this nailed down from multiple sources.

« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2012, 12:50:33 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
well I am guessing for the release time Alex just dousnt know about CDT and just said CST. I would go with 11:11PM in that time zone. For me I will either be an hour early or right on time so it doesnt matter.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2012, 12:57:36 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
well I am guessing for the release time Alex just dousnt know about CDT and just said CST. I would go with 11:11PM in that time zone. For me I will either be an hour early or right on time so it doesnt matter.
Aaron, please stop trying to come into the conversation to say something that doesn't fit or make sense. It seems normal that Alex Chin gets the time right so everyone can be on time and no one complains. Also, according to DelMagic, his mistake may be a 12 hour difference. Will you wait 12 hours? Many people are at work and can't even wait 1 hour. This will surely get cleared up, but in the meantime lets let Alex do what he feels is appropriate.

« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2012, 01:14:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, let's keep this SIMPLE.

I heard back from Alex Chin, who posted an update in the comments for the photo.

Release time is 11:11pm Monday Central Daylight Time.

For people in other time zones, this is:

9:11PM Monday: US Pacific Daylight Time and US Mountain Standard Time (Arizona)
10:11PM Monday: US Mountain Daylight Time
12:11AM Tuesday: US Eastern Daylight Time
4:11AM Tuesday: Greenwich Mean Time and Universal Coordinated Time
5:11AM Tuesday: UK London Summer Time
6:11AM Tuesday: EU Central European Summer Time
11:11AM Tuesday: Indochina Time (includes Thailand)
12:11PM Tuesday: Singapore Time and China Standard Time
1:11PM Tuesday: Japan Standard Time
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:23:06 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2012, 01:18:26 AM »

thecardcollectors

Thank you very much Don! Hahah that was very helpful for me :)

« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:26 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Aaron, please stop trying to come into the conversation to say something that doesn't fit or make sense. It seems normal that Alex Chin gets the time right so everyone can be on time and no one complains. Also, according to DelMagic, his mistake may be a 12 hour difference. Will you wait 12 hours? Many people are at work and can't even wait 1 hour. This will surely get cleared up, but in the meantime lets let Alex do what he feels is appropriate.
I would like to know how that doesn't "fit or make sense" From what Don said it looks like I was right. :-\

Alex origianly said that they would be released 11:11PM CST, that doesn't exist, he obviously just found out and has now said that the release is at 11:11PM CDT. I said that he must have mistaken what he said and we should go with 11:11PM CDT. I dont get how that post didn't make sense or fit.

I helped people, unlike the post you make critisizing a post i made that was useful. I could easily say that your post doesn't make sense or fit, the only difference would be I am correct that it doesn't fit.

If there is anyone else who thinks my post was useless please tell me because i don't think it was.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I would like to know how that doesn't "fit or make sense" From what Don said it looks like I was right. :-\

Alex origianly said that they would be released 11:11PM CST, that doesn't exist, he obviously just found out and has now said that the release is at 11:11PM CDT. I said that he must have mistaken what he said and we should go with 11:11PM CDT. I dont get how that post didn't make sense or fit.

I helped people, unlike the post you make critisizing a post i made that was useful. I could easily say that your post doesn't make sense or fit, the only difference would be I am correct that it doesn't fit.

If there is anyone else who thinks my post was useless please tell me because i don't think it was.

Holy, freakin', crap.

NATHAN!

Re-read DelMagic's statement:

11:11 PM and 12:11 PM are 11-hours apart, not 1-hour. 12:11 PM is early in the afternoon while 11:11 PM is nearly midnight. And 11:11 PM CST is actually 12:11 AM CDT but you have a date change involved which makes it even more messy. I can't wait to hear this nailed down from multiple sources.

DelMagic was the ONLY PERSON who said ANYTHING about the release time being 12:11PM!  It would NEVER be confused in such a fashion.  I don't know about where you live, but where I live, we only adjust our clocks by one hour, NOT BY ELEVEN HOURS!

The release time is 11:11pm "Central time", and it would appear that Alex made a common mistake: in trying to make his time look "official," he simply wrote "CST" without considering that Central Standard Time is only in effect in the Central Time Zone for just under half of a given year and that this isn't that half.  To confuse things further, many countries use the "S" part of the abbreviation to mean "Summer" as in "CEST" for "Central European Summer Time" or "LST" for "London Summer Time".  And in many Asian nations, they don't make any twice-yearly time changes at all.

The worst off anyone could have been would have been a single hour.  Your post wasn't useless as much as it was confused.  Know what you're talking about before you talk if you're putting yourself forth as some kind of authority on the topic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:12:26 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #285 on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:47 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
thanks don so much of a help ... why do they want to release it on 11:11 any special reason ?

« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2012, 05:00:40 AM »

rainking187

• True Member
I like the look of the cards a lot, but $25 for two decks before shipping (whatever that will be) just seems too high to me. It's a pretty huge change from the original $15 per set price they mentioned.

« Reply #287 on: April 29, 2012, 05:26:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
thanks don so much of a help ... why do they want to release it on 11:11 any special reason ?

Perhaps Alex Chin considers 11 a lucky number.

I like the look of the cards a lot, but $25 for two decks before shipping (whatever that will be) just seems too high to me. It's a pretty huge change from the original $15 per set price they mentioned.

At $15, these sounded awesome.
At $20, they're great.
At $25, they give me pause.  And they make me wonder why the price keeps going higher and higher.

I really wanted to get this deck, but I'm becoming allergic to rip-offs.  I'm going to pass.

« Reply #288 on: April 29, 2012, 05:54:01 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran

Perhaps Alex Chin considers 11 a lucky number.

At $15, these sounded awesome.
At $20, they're great.
At $25, they give me pause.  And they make me wonder why the price keeps going higher and higher.

I really wanted to get this deck, but I'm becoming allergic to rip-offs.  I'm going to pass.
I feel you Don, I would be much better if they started off with the kickstarter option.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:54:20 AM by DeckOfCards »

« Reply #289 on: April 29, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »

junjie04

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

Well, That price was set months ago. Maybe there was unexpected extra cost which increased the price of the deck.

« Reply #290 on: April 29, 2012, 08:10:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well, That price was set months ago. Maybe there was unexpected extra cost which increased the price of the deck.

Only serious mismanagement could increase costs high enough to require them to make the deck 67% more expensive.  Someone's trying to make serious coin on this deck, period.

« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »

frostchew

Well the only reason I can think of why the prices skyrocketed is that they figured their decks are going to be highly anticipated and they decided to "cash in". And no, I'm not going to take design costs as an excuse.

« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »

junjie04

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Quite true.. Now i might only get a set or maybe just 2

« Reply #293 on: April 29, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
Quite true.. Now i might only get a set or maybe just 2
Jun jie werent you very defensive on the price huh? I said it's ridiculous on facebook and you went berserk. Yet when Don said the price was ridiculous too you said. "quite true" Hypocrite much

« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2012, 09:12:44 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
So the price issue....

Back on Sept 16th, 2011, Alex made this comment on a post at the Seasons FB page..

" Liran, they are a limited edition run due to high production costs. Evan, If you purchase through kickstarter they'll be $15 a (2 deck) set. If there are any left they will be sold at $20 retail. I appreciate the interest. Feel free to tell your friends about it."

Now.. 7 months have passed.  I'm sure there were expenses that came up that weren't planned for.  Additions to the deck to enhance it.

Maybe Alex should have held off giving out prices 7 months ago before the printing was done.  But look at what's changed since then...

He was going to do Kickstarter back then... instead he took on 2 partners (AceKing & Fullboat) to fund the project... then AceKing stepped out.

TONS of decks come out, and they are automatically $10+... the one that stands out to me the most is the Tungstene deck.  If I'm not mistaken, it was nearly $20 when it came out.. and that deck is hideous compared to these beauties.,, and those was from one of the BIG companies we all deal with.

I'm more than happy to open up my wallet to dish out the cash for this set.  In almost 4 years of collecting, I've never seen a set of decks that I've wanted more.  Those tuckboxes are AMAZING.  IMO... this should be the benchmark for card design, period.

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #295 on: April 29, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »

Gareth

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Kickstarter:
So the price issue....

Back on Sept 16th, 2011, Alex made this comment on a post at the Seasons FB page..

" Liran, they are a limited edition run due to high production costs. Evan, If you purchase through kickstarter they'll be $15 a (2 deck) set. If there are any left they will be sold at $20 retail. I appreciate the interest. Feel free to tell your friends about it."

Now.. 7 months have passed.  I'm sure there were expenses that came up that weren't planned for.  Additions to the deck to enhance it.

Maybe Alex should have held off giving out prices 7 months ago before the printing was done.  But look at what's changed since then...

The problem is that in this very topic (page 10) Alex posted {emphasis mine}

As far as the early supporter discount, after doing some number crunching we can only apply it to a certain number of decks related in bundles. All other items of a cart can have the 20% off, but to be perfectly honest, I really didn't expect these cards to cost this much and can't afford to sell them at $16 a pop. Other card printers out there can verify this especially with the embossing/foiling costs. They'll be kept at $19.95 a pair which I do think is reasonable.

So in the last month they've gone up from $20 each (with no early supporter code), to $25.  Sure there is 20% off but only for the first 150 customers.  As frostchew says, it's just a bit of blatant money grabbing for what we all know is going to sell well.

Like many others here, I was intending to buy up (reasonably) big.  Whilst the 6 set limitation per order did stem that a little, the $25 price makes me wonder whether I need more than 1 set.

We have to remember that this - despite being (in my opinion) the most beautiful design I've seen - it's only 56 bits of card in a cardboard box.

« Reply #296 on: April 29, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
So it should have been kickstarter. As Don said someone wants to make money out of this.

« Reply #297 on: April 29, 2012, 11:35:17 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Of course someone wants to make money out of this.  It's a business.

From the March 29th quote
"They'll be kept at $19.95 a pair"

So, it's basically gone up $2.50 per deck.  But if you use the 20% code.. it's back to $20.
Even if you are not able to use the code... if you buy a brick.. you get 10% off...  making it 22.50 per set (only 1.25 more per deck)

11.25 per deck if you buy a brick.

I for one think it's fine considering...

Encarded just sold decks for $25 each because they had a different color sticker.
 http://encarded.bigcartel.com/product/tendril-gold-seal-deck

Cosmo has raised his price to $15 for the Spectrum deck
 http://www.cosmosolano.com/trickstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=20

Honestly we can go back and forth like this till the end of time.

If you really think these are overpriced, don't buy.

CBJ

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:54:43 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #298 on: April 29, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
Well he's giving us false hopes some of the times. Anyway what is the release time?

« Reply #299 on: April 29, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Well he's giving us false hopes some of the times. Anyway what is the release time?
Please don't tell me you're serious... Don just posted this:

OK, let's keep this SIMPLE.

I heard back from Alex Chin, who posted an update in the comments for the photo.

Release time is 11:11pm Monday Central Daylight Time.

For people in other time zones, this is:

9:11PM Monday: US Pacific Daylight Time and US Mountain Standard Time (Arizona)
10:11PM Monday: US Mountain Daylight Time
12:11AM Tuesday: US Eastern Daylight Time
4:11AM Tuesday: Greenwich Mean Time and Universal Coordinated Time
5:11AM Tuesday: UK London Summer Time
6:11AM Tuesday: EU Central European Summer Time
11:11AM Tuesday: Indochina Time (includes Thailand)
12:11PM Tuesday: Singapore Time and China Standard Time
1:11PM Tuesday: Japan Standard Time