You are Here:
Orbiter 2.0 Playing Card Display - LIVE on Kickstarter!

Author (Read 16820 times)

Orbiter 2.0 Playing Card Display - LIVE on Kickstarter!
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
WOW WOW WOW!   These look AMAZING!  Full rotation, and stackable!

Orbiter Playing Card Displays coming soon to Kickstarter from Crooked Kings.

Two different ways to set it up... 

15 deck - flip layout
10 deck - full 360 rotation layout

It's also either mountable to a wall or can stand as a tabletop display...
I'd say it's a good thing they got it patented

CBJ
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:06:14 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: *** Orbiter Playing Card Display - coming soon to KS
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:19:10 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
Hmmmm. interesting. I like it - but I bet it's expensive. And if you have an extensive collection, could cost a ton to display them all - but then again it would probably be worth it. I like it for travel - want to go show your cards off somewhere, this would be really easy to keep them protected at all times and set up quick. On another note - what is that Guy Fawkes deck shown in the picture?
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »

_Daniel_

I REALLY like the look of these, most practical for your favourite decks I would have thought. Man international shipping tho... Hopefully not bank breaking!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:15:06 PM by _Daniel_ »

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Scott tends to get a good price on things, so it'll be interesting to see how much these run. I could definitely use a few of them haha. Plenty of time to set aside a few bucks I think. They're unlikely to launch on KS before fulfillment of the Vikings decks.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 01:03:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I echo what some others are asking - what will the price be, including shipping, for domestic and international orders?  Since there's no denying that there's a market for it, the price point is what could make or break this product.

This would also be an excellent product for collectors of vintage poker or bridge decks - perhaps even miniatures.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I hope they're inexpensive, I think I want around 20 of the things. Hopefully he'll post a video of a prototype with the KS campaign so we can see what's what. I think it's something most playing card collectors would be interested in. Absolutely brilliant, accessible little protective shells around each deck lined up in an easy to view layout. I wants! ;D

Can't speculate about shipping without knowing more about the product. It'll probably be a little more than a brick to ship one at a time. Shipping from USPS will go up by the time it's ready to be fulfilled too. No idea.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 01:41:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Remember when Mike Ferrante was still running Brooke Michael's Poker World?  He introduced a Plexiglas version of a card rack with a large capacity, but the price point was so high, I can't imagine he sold many of them.  This is a smaller product with a smaller capacity, but it's also more complex to construct and could, on a deck-by-deck basis, be more expensive than Ferrante's rack, though still cheaper overall because of that smaller capacity.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:56:52 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Everyone has beaten me to saying the same thing -- the product looks great, and that the price is what will dictate whether I buy it or not.

International shipping may end up being worse than what Blaine's store charges... although for this product, the high shipping may be what it legitimately costs. It's tough to imagine international shipping being anything other than sky high.

Great product though!
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 09:37:20 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Hmmmm. interesting. I like it - but I bet it's expensive. And if you have an extensive collection, could cost a ton to display them all - but then again it would probably be worth it. I like it for travel - want to go show your cards off somewhere, this would be really easy to keep them protected at all times and set up quick. On another note - what is that Guy Fawkes deck shown in the picture?

Very interesting. I don't remember a Guy Fawkes or a "V for Vendetta" deck? Alan Moore gave up the rights to WB for nothing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:37:55 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 09:47:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Very interesting. I don't remember a Guy Fawkes or a "V for Vendetta" deck? Alan Moore gave up the rights to WB for nothing.

If I had to guess, I'd guess they used Cartamundi to make the deck - they do a fair number of movie decks, usually with less-than-desireable quality.  Either that or perhaps it's a British-made deck for the UK release.  I'm reasonably certain the deck didn't come from USPC, 'cause we'd know about it if it did, right?

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Remember when Mike Ferrante was still running Brooke Michael's Poker World?  He introduced a Plexiglas version of a card rack with a large capacity, but the price point was so high, I can't imagine he sold many of them.  This is a smaller product with a smaller capacity, but it's also more complex to construct and could, on a deck-by-deck basis, be more expensive than Ferrante's rack, though still cheaper overall because of that smaller capacity.
We have one of the Ferrante racks - its great [see pix]. These look like a great though and I might snag a couple.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 11:33:59 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
We have one of the Ferrante racks - its great [see pix]. These look like a great though and I might snag a couple.

Very nice and outstanding decks. I don't have anything like that. Only in the past year or so have I accepted being a collector of playing cards. Previously, I was simply a consumer of playing cards that held the occasional deck back for my own stash. Honestly, I'm a terrible collector. I like to share playing cards with others entirely too much for my own good. I think these orbiter displays will be a great help to my collection in helping it stay intact. I can let people see the decks without holding the decks. So I'll be less likely to say "You can have that deck, go ahead and take it with you." when I see they're really interested or like the deck a lot. Then I won't have to try to replace things when it dawns on me that was my last one and I absolutely must have the deck that just walked off. Eh, who am I kidding, I'll probably still do it. When I give someone a deck, it's really me saying "I love playing cards, you should too. Here's a deck, catch the bug." hahaha.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 08:19:34 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Man, I really, really hope the international shipping on these is reasonable! I would love to pick up a bunch of these to display my favorite decks!

I suspect that if you have a massive collection, you won't necessarily want to buy enough of these to display them all - maybe just to display your favorite decks of the week/month/whatever...

Anyway, love the product/idea - really hope it's affordable in terms of base price and, just as important, shipping cost! If so, I'm in a for quite a few!

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Man, I really, really hope the international shipping on these is reasonable! I would love to pick up a bunch of these to display my favorite decks!

I suspect that if you have a massive collection, you won't necessarily want to buy enough of these to display them all - maybe just to display your favorite decks of the week/month/whatever...

Anyway, love the product/idea - really hope it's affordable in terms of base price and, just as important, shipping cost! If so, I'm in a for quite a few!

As far as displaying an entire collection on your walls, it's probably a matter of having enough walls as well as enough cash...  :))  My collection is large enough that if I tried posting even half of it, my wife would stop speaking to me!  I love my wife, hence, my collection doesn't hang on my walls - not even my uncut sheets.  (Yet!)

These look a bit bulky, but I'm guessing that with all that plastic, they're not insanely heavy - you might not get entirely ruined on shipping charges.

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 11:47:04 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I think these orbiter displays will be a great help to my collection in helping it stay intact. I can let people see the decks without holding the decks. So I'll be less likely to say "You can have that deck, go ahead and take it with you." when I see they're really interested or like the deck a lot.

There's another way to stop giving away decks. Start buying high priced decks! It's a lot harder to give away a $15, $20, $40, or higher deck.

This Orbiter display is nice. It will be interesting to see how the deck holders snap into the display. It needs to be easy to remove, but secure that they just don't fall out.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Another pic...

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 10:53:37 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I think that one of these would look good on the credenza in my home office. They look like they would be more suited to a tabletop/desk type of display, as opposed to a lot of them connected together on a wall. I'm going to be in on one or two of these for that purpose. Maybe display the ultra-rare or valuable decks in something like this, where they can be kept close at hand, yet enjoyed by all. It's nice to have options and to be able to display decks differently in various areas of my home.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
These are launching tonight at 9pm EST  (Oct 24th)

Re: *** Orbiter Playing Card Display - launching TONIGHT 9PM EST
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 12:02:31 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
These are indeed live. Video is fun.

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 02:25:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
 Here's a first for Kickstarter: the guy's listing the shipping cost as a separate amount from the pledge tier.  That was royally dumb - they're going to have countless people sending in the wrong amount for their tier - or more accurately, the right amount because this guy listed the amounts poorly.

I can see why he listed them separately - these things aren't cheap.  $48 each for one, $47 each for the second, third and fourth (way to go on that discount, woo hoo), $46 each for the fifth, sixth and seventh (a dollar saved is nearly useless), $44 each for the eighth and ninth and $43 for the tenth.  If you increase the capacity from 10 to 15 (and display your decks overlapping each other) it's an extra $9 for the five extra deck cases.  And NONE of that includes shipping charges.

I'm going to break this down a bit.  All prices are in USD.  CPU is Cost Per Unit, counting the number of decks you can display as 1 unit each.  Fractional cents get rounded UP.

# of racks
US (10 decks)CPUUS (15 decks)CPUElse (10 decks)CPUElse 15 decks)CPU
1$59$5.90$68$4.54$72$7.20$81$5.40
2$112$5.60$121$4.04$127$6.35$136$4.54
3$163$5.43$172$3.83$180$6.00$189$4.20
4$215$5.38$224$3.74$233$5.83$242$4.04
5$266$5.32$275$3.67$283$5.66$292$3.90
6$316$5.27$325$3.62$334$5.57$345$3.84
7$366$5.23$375$3.58$385$5.50$394$3.76
8$415$5.19$424$3.54$435$5.44$444$3.70
9$465$5.17$474$3.52$485$5.39$494$3.66
10$513$5.13$522$3.48$534$5.34$543$3.62

Now you have the real prices for this project, not the "I've got a shipping secret" prices...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:30:23 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 03:35:08 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Here's a first for Kickstarter: the guy's listing the shipping cost as a separate amount from the pledge tier.  That was royally dumb - they're going to have countless people sending in the wrong amount for their tier - or more accurately, the right amount because this guy listed the amounts poorly.

I can see why he listed them separately - these things aren't cheap.  $48 each for one, $47 each for the second, third and fourth (way to go on that discount, woo hoo), $46 each for the fifth, sixth and seventh (a dollar saved is nearly useless), $44 each for the eighth and ninth and $43 for the tenth.  If you increase the capacity from 10 to 15 (and display your decks overlapping each other) it's an extra $9 for the five extra deck cases.  And NONE of that includes shipping charges.

Now you have the real prices for this project, not the "I've got a shipping secret" prices...

I did a triple take here, because I was initially gobsmacked. Shipping prices are clearly listed on the pledges. No cloak and dagger, no skullduggery, no wool over the eyes. Certainly no "I've got a shipping secret".

The prospective backer is informed of shipping cost regardless of international or domestic. I don't have any problem at all with it being listed this way. This is much better than the inflated values we typically see thrown at our international friends where the campaign just pops them for the full shipping amount regardless of the fact domestic shipping is already included in the price to begin with. Typically they just tag on $25 - $35 and call it done for a brick. These aren't Bricks by any means. Bricks are smaller and require less packing, yet with this format the shipping prices are better for international backers. They actually get to see and pay a true shipping cost, less hose on my international friends.

It's just in a format you are not used to. That's okay Don, not everything has to fit the mold you're used to dealing with on KS. You're the first guy I've seen call Scott dumb. Personally, I wouldn't do it myself. I disagree with you doing it, but hey if that's the thing to do at the time. Knock yourself out. I'm going to take a different approach and say, Well done Scott.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 05:35:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's just in a format you are not used to. That's okay Don, not everything has to fit the mold you're used to dealing with on KS. You're the first guy I've seen call Scott dumb. Personally, I wouldn't do it myself. I disagree with you doing it, but hey if that's the thing to do at the time. Knock yourself out. I'm going to take a different approach and say, Well done Scott.

I called the action dumb - not the actor.  There is a big difference.

The norm for a Kickstarter project (to the domestic customer) is that shipping gets included.  He's breaking the mold and I get the impression that people who are 1) in America, 2) not careful readers and 3) backing this may not read the fine print as carefully to realize that shipping is separate.  They wouldn't look for it because it's not generally done - most creators only ask extra for international shipping.  I would compare it to one town out of the entire nation suddenly deciding that people there have to drive on the left side of the road while the rest of the country drives on the right side of the road.  There's bound to be problems.  And it is a form of disguising the actual project cost with shipping when taking all of that into account.  Kickstarter itself says that the costs for shipping, handling, packing materials, postage, etc. should be accounted for in the project's goal.  It's really hard to say whether he did or didn't.  There's an automatic "add-on" to pledge tiers for international shipments, but not domestic ones.

I'm going to re-do the chart with an additional column - listed tier price.  The price difference from the actual cost including shipping is noteworthy.  As it stands, NONE of his tiers can be had for the listed tier price.

# of racks
Listed tier priceUS (10 decks)CPUUS (15 decks)CPUElse (10 decks)CPUElse 15 decks)CPU
1$48$59$5.90$68$4.54$72$7.20$81$5.40
2$95$112$5.60$121$4.04$127$6.35$136$4.54
3$142$163$5.43$172$3.83$180$6.00$189$4.20
4$189$215$5.38$224$3.74$233$5.83$242$4.04
5$235$266$5.32$275$3.67$283$5.66$292$3.90
6$281$316$5.27$325$3.62$334$5.57$345$3.84
7$327$366$5.23$375$3.58$385$5.50$394$3.76
8$371$415$5.19$424$3.54$435$5.44$444$3.70
9$415$465$5.17$474$3.52$485$5.39$494$3.66
10$458$513$5.13$522$3.48$534$5.34$543$3.62

What possible motive would a person have for breaking out the domestic shipping separately unless they were trying to disguise the full cost, making it appear more palatable on first glance?  Especially when pretty much 99.9 percent of all other projects DON'T DO THIS?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that he charges what he's charging - I'd simply prefer that he appear more honest about it.  Make the tier listing the same price INCLUDING the shipping like the rest of the site does, and simply request the difference for international shipments.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:51:28 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that he charges what he's charging - I'd simply prefer that he appear more honest about it.  Make the tier listing the same price INCLUDING the shipping like the rest of the site does, and simply request the difference for international shipments.

I don't think there is a more honest way of doing it other than showing the price per Orbiter, the shipping to get said Orbiters to your door domestic or international. I also don't see a better place to show it than on the pledge tiers themselves. I maintain, no skullduggery on this one. There's a few things I don't like about the campaign. That isn't one of them.

I would like an Orbiter deck to go in my Orbiter. My biggest gripe though, the end date is December Third haha. That tosses such a monkey wrench into things from my perspective lol. December, yea it's going to hurt...  :mindf-ck:

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »

louizz

• Newcomer
Hi there everyone- This is Scott King from Crooked Kings. I've never posted on here, but I do watch and occasionally post on UC, so I figured it was time to say "hi-ya" to everyone on here, plus I wanted to set everyone straight on the "Boyer Shipping Conspiracy", as I've jokingly nicknamed it. :)

First and foremost, I appreciate EVERYONE'S opinions- whether they're pro or con, as long as they're accurate and constructive- So please keep that in mind.

First I'll address the kickstarter "requirement" on shipping.

Kickstarter does not require shipping to be added into the price of the item. They do suggest it, but it's not a requirement at all. If it were, then KS staff would never have approved the project to go live. There's actually quite a few projects that do the shipping separately, and it's not that uncommon, especially on larger items that have a higher shipping fee. The Coolest Cooler comes to mind- they made over 13 million in raised funds, with a shipping fee of $15 dollars for 1 cooler.

Next, I'll address the reasoning behind it.

We wanted to be VERY transparent with the price of the item versus the price for shipping. These bad boys carry a decently hefty shipping price at just over 3' long, and we wanted backers to know exactly were their money was going. Had we included all the pricing together, there would be no way to distinguish the unit cost versus the shipping cost. We wanted the backers to make a truly educated decision on what level and how many to get. If a backer was on the fence with trying to decide between 1 versus 2 frames, we wanted them to see the cost saving not only on the unit price, but the shipping price as well. In this scenario, if you went with 2 Orbiters instead of 1, it would save you $1 on the units, but the shipping saves you $5, for a total of $6. This savings increases as you up the volume of displays you get. Additionally, it should be known that there is not a lot of margin on this project for us at all, but truthfully, we aren't expecting to make a lot on this project. This is more or less a labor of love.

We are actually card collectors ourselves, and really wanted to see something hit the community that would be a REALLY cool item for collectors to not only protect their investments with, but allow others to share in their passion without molesting their precious decks. That's why we created the Orbiter. In reality, I think you'd be hard pressed to argue the price point on these. All of the Orbiters are plastic injected ABS (same stuff legos are made of), and they required engineering, tooling, diemolds, plastic injection, finishing, and freight. All of these things require a hefty investment to come to fruition, and anyone familiar with the process can tell you it aint' cheap to produce. :) We really focused on keeping the pricing down for the backers, which is why the funded goal is on the higher end. We're really excited and hope it makes it... We've got a lot of sweet decks that need protecting and homes too! :)

Lastly, and most importantly, we separated the price out so that it would protect the backers if they purchase more in the future. By separating out the unit price, backers know roughly what they should be paying for the Orbiter. We've already had a handful of vendors contact us about carrying the Orbitor, and if in 4 months someone wants to purchase some, they need to be educated on the price so that they're not getting ripped off. Of course there's going to be some additional fees and markup, but we wanted people to be aware for future purchasing.

Well, that's about it. Hopefully, that clears the "Boyer Shipping Conspiracy" up. I'm always open to answering questions, so please don't hesitate to ask. I only ask that you keep it classy San Diego. :)

Re: *** Orbiter Playing Card Display - LIVE ON KS
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 10:33:38 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
This is by far the best display option I think I have seen. My only problems with these it that they cannot hold enough decks, so I therefore would need to buy a few. The other problem is I cannot imagine this on my wall. It would be so great and awesome if I had a dedicated poker room but alas I do not.
They look so awesome...I feel like I NEED these... ;D
Also WELCOME Scott, thanks for joining us here!

Agree, this will be a nightmare for him.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:38:52 PM by Rose »