Display Case
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

Blockheads88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey,

I am big collector of David Blaine cards. I usually buy bricks and keep 1-3 decks sealed for each collection and leave them in brick box but they are not really being displayed out. In his new collection of the gatorbacks on his site he is displaying a lot of his cards in a clear cases which look to have screws on the side? The picture is on the home page and second or third picture on the banner. If anyone knows what case that is and where to get please let me know.

Thanks,

Re: Display Case
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 02:30:42 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Here's what he's talking about

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 01:07:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There's a fair-to-middling chance that David had them made custom for himself.  I haven't seen any like this, but it's not anything that would be difficult to make with some clear fiberglass and the right tools.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 01:17:07 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I think these look pretty cool. I think I could make one, but getting all of those small accrilic pieces sized, polished, and glued together would be tricky.

DANIELmadison

December 30, 2014  ·

Peace.
 Thank you @davidblaine

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:25:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, with that photo, who wants to take bets that David's going to be selling them on his website?  :))

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I can imagine that being pricey, if they do eventually get sold by DB... but I have to admit, it looks damn cool!
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Judging by the looks of this display, i am very sure it is going to be pricey.

I remember Jackson Robinson had somewhat a similar looking display, and i do believe his do cost more because of how his is made and all that. But i believe even if DB's is cheaper, sales might not go too good. Collectors might buy a couple to protect/display their most precious of decks, but definitely will not spend huge amount to do so for their whole collection.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
OK, with that photo, who wants to take bets that David's going to be selling them on his website?  :))

These look really nice. Protective yet compact. I think David Blaine Productions hit a home run with this. We will need to take price into consideration but they're using less raw materials then other company versions sold in the past. I bet these will be disrubited unassembled,
which would also cut down labor cost. I'm very interested!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:38:07 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Judging by the looks of this display, i am very sure it is going to be pricey.

I remember Jackson Robinson had somewhat a similar looking display, and i do believe his do cost more because of how his is made and all that. But i believe even if DB's is cheaper, sales might not go too good. Collectors might buy a couple to protect/display their most precious of decks, but definitely will not spend huge amount to do so for their whole collection.

That would largely depend on just how inexpensive they'd be priced...and whether or not they're even made available for retail!  I'm just guessin' here, folks!

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 12:42:54 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
You can hire a company with a laser cutter to cut you out some basics and go from there. Often they charge by the second, still it's not too expensive to have a sheet cut. Acrylic glues used in the aquarium business will seal up the edges.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
I bought some old decks from eBay and one of them came in a similar plastic case. Actually two of them did, one was a Heraclio Fournier Spanish deck and the other one was an advertisement deck from Parliament cigarettes. These didn't have a tuck box though.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 01:53:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I bought some old decks from eBay and one of them came in a similar plastic case. Actually two of them did, one was a Heraclio Fournier Spanish deck and the other one was an advertisement deck from Parliament cigarettes. These didn't have a tuck box though.

Were those cases sealed closed in some manner, or were they designed to be easily opened?  These are sealed shut for preservation, it would appear, while in the case of most cards in a plastic case, the case is intended as a substitute, "uncrushable" box.

The cigarette ad deck in particular is interesting - I'm guessing the original owner played them quite a bit.  Those certainly came in a tuck box of some kind - the exterior of the box would function as advertising when the cards weren't being played with.  Decks like that are a dying breed, at least in this country - something to do with tobacco companies marketing cigarettes to children...

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 07:34:27 PM »

Blockheads88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey,

I have been looking for these cases and I thin I found them on Alibaba.

All The pictures the seller has are with David Blane cards which was very odd but also could be source.

I have attached the picture. The Manufacture says they the are magnetic so the cases can be opened and or closed.

I have asked for pricing If any one is also looking for any I will update once I hear back.

Thanks,

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »

Blockheads88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi,

I heard back. They claim they are the same case. They usually do large orders 1000 cases. Since I am not going to buy that qty they are willing to make a smaller run but the cost is more expensive. Right now they are quoting about $20/case then I would charge shipping from me to you. The $20 includes shipping from them to me.

If anyone is interested please let me know if I get enough people the price could go down.

Thanks,

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:28:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi,

I heard back. They claim they are the same case. They usually do large orders 1000 cases. Since I am not going to buy that qty they are willing to make a smaller run but the cost is more expensive. Right now they are quoting about $20/case then I would charge shipping from me to you. The $20 includes shipping from them to me.

If anyone is interested please let me know if I get enough people the price could go down.

Thanks,

$20 a case sounds prohibitively expensive.  In many cases, the case will be worth more than the deck.  Consider approaching retailers and acting as a distributor/wholesaler.  You could get a handful of retailer to order perhaps one or two hundred a piece and hit the 1,000-unit mark quickly enough, I would think.  But what would they cost per unit in a 1,000-unit run?  How much would they retail for?

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 10:28:58 AM »

Paul Ruccio

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Hi,

Thanks,

I'm interested but not at $20/case. How small is the run for $20/case?
Paul Ruccio
Jetsetter Playing Cards
www.jetsetterplayingcards.com
- - - - -
High-class products and playing cards for the aviation, travel, and playing card enthusiasts around the globe.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »

Blockheads88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi,

The $20/Case was for a run for about 25-cases.

If they make a run of the 1000 Cases each case with shipping to the US is about $4.

I don't really have the time to reach out and try to sell these cases to online stores. If I was going to buy in bulk it would be at Max about 100 and sell on eBay / Amazon. I don't think the cases would really sell for more then $9.95 + Shipping.

If some one on here wanted 100's then I would buy more but not sure that would happen.

Thanks,

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I contacted Murphy's about this already. Just waiting to hear from them. I'll let you guys know.

Edit: Here is their response:

I referred but our buyer is not interested in this item…sorry
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:49:42 PM by runIt »

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 03:58:10 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
For those interested in an acrylic single deck display case, check out my thread in the STISO, "Carat" Acrylic Single Deck Display Case ;)