You are Here:
Scarlett Tally-Ho No.13 by KWP (KS)

Author (Read 21380 times)

Re: Scarlett Tally-Ho No.13 by KWP (coming soon)
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 11:07:43 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
As long as I can get 1 of each, I don't care which option. I'll take those signed please  8)
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 07:27:41 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I will most likely make it even more limited. No display decks this time around either.

95% sure it will be like below on launch day.

750 Limited Editions
200 Gold Gilded Editions
25 Special Editions
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »

piratebear81

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Any idea as to when launch day would be?

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Kings Wild Project

November 11  ยท

New Circle Back, New Courts, Traditionally cut, all from the ground up. Oh yes! there will also be gilded edges edition. Scarlett Tally Hos

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I will most likely make it even more limited. No display decks this time around either.

750 Limited Editions
200 Gold Gilded Editions
25 Special Editions

Less than a thousand decks in total?  About one-fifth of them gilded as well?  No mention of an unlimited edition?

I'm disappointed.  Have fun catering to the deeply-pocketed - I won't be among them if this is the case.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

750 Limited Editions
200 Gold Gilded Editions
25 Special Editions

I'm sure majority went with option A. But it looks like it is heading the other direction. :-\

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I really like this deck, so I'm in whatever the limiteds or uns or whatsits. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a bunch, if not it's alright I'll use what I can get my paws on. Really like this red interpretation. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
At the end of the day, Jackson's best bet is to cater to a combination of (a) what his research tells him about what the majority of the KWP fans want, and (b) his personal vision for a deck dedicated to his daughter.

Whilst we do all talk a lot about cards here, it's obvious that we don't make up the majority of KWP's following. Ultra limited runs are popular, and so it's not difficult to see why option B was a legit contender.

I personally think that the super limited quantities will make for a special deck for both Jackson and the people who end up owning some of the decks. If special is what Jackson is trying to achieve, then option B all the way brother! For my part, I think the right choice has been made.

Regardless of whether anyone here buys or not, I'm sure that most (if not all) will agree that the deck looks pretty darn cool.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 12:54:42 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I know nobody wants to be the "minority" but for the most part forum goers aren't the biggest part of the buying pool, not that they should be ignored, but you have to play to your strengths as it were. I know Jackson has mentioned this before and it applies to many, not just him. i think the designer needs to stay true to what he is known for and KWP is known for highly collectiable, well designed and blinged out decks......like it or not.

Without knowing the actual structure of this campaign as far as pricing and tier options i think it premature to just say your out..........no offense Don :)

I've learned a lot from the Aquila project and the one thing that rings true is that there is a HUGE base of "Buyers/Collectors" out there that aren't forum and Facebook Group followers. They are a silent majority in the playing card world and community.

Like Holy JJ, I'll buy what I can afford and enjoy adding it to my collection. The deisgn is stellar  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:57:27 PM by Anthony »

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 05:42:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Without knowing the actual structure of this campaign as far as pricing and tier options i think it premature to just say your out..........no offense Don :)

None taken.  I did note "I won't be among them if this is the case."  If it's not so elite, then yes, I'd consider it, particularly at a decent price.

You folks know my feelings about the trends in playing card manufacture and design.  After a point, the bling and the rarified air in which these decks exist all becomes just too much for me, and I don't think I'm alone in that.  Then again, I collected in a time when a 5,000-deck print run was considered "rare".

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Hey Don, I'm curious -- what do you consider a decent price, for a limited edition deck and for a gold deck?

/bama

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I'm sure majority went with option A. But it looks like it is heading the other direction. :-\

I don't think he was ever actually asking for a vote, people just started voting. I feel like he was just brainstorming out loud.

I like the exclusivity, and I feel like most consumers outside of our niche want that more as well.To people that aren't apart of the couple dozen of us that are a part of the playing card community, limited edition still means something, and they will back that belief with money.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:27:36 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey Don, I'm curious -- what do you consider a decent price, for a limited edition deck and for a gold deck?

/bama

It would largely depend on the production values and features brought to bear.  I can understand a deck being expensive, sure - it's the whole "elite" thing going on, such tiny quantities.  See, I'd probably not purchase a gilded deck - they're absolutely gorgeous, but they're not cheap, albeit worth every penny.

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 06:47:56 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

/bama

It would largely depend on the production values and features brought to bear.  I can understand a deck being expensive, sure - it's the whole "elite" thing going on, such tiny quantities.  See, I'd probably not purchase a gilded deck - they're absolutely gorgeous, but they're not cheap, albeit worth every penny.
Ha! Spoken like a magician avoiding a trap! Not willing to get pinned down before the Scarlett Tallys launch?

Let me ask it another way, are you saying that you aren't in the market for expensive decks (even if they are worth every penny)? If so, at what price point does a deck cross the line from affordable to expensive?

/bama

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »

piratebear81

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Looks like from Kingswildproject Instagram post it goes live tomorrow at 12pm central via kickstarter

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

/bama

Ha! Spoken like a magician avoiding a trap! Not willing to get pinned down before the Scarlett Tallys launch?

Let me ask it another way, are you saying that you aren't in the market for expensive decks (even if they are worth every penny)? If so, at what price point does a deck cross the line from affordable to expensive?

/bama

It's difficult to simply draw a line in the sand and say, "All decks on this side are affordable."  It's about as logical as finding gasoline at the same price everywhere across the country.  There are some government controls on the price of gas, but it's still a mostly-free market.

In terms of modern decks, the most I ever paid for one was two packs of Moth/Myth black - $50 each.  Close second was the 52+J 2014 club deck at $45 each.

If you count trick decks, the highest is $80 - Get Sharkey, an excellent trick by card-shark.de/Phoenix Playing Cards.

By and large, when a deck's price is reaching $15 or more, I have to more carefully examine it to determine just how much (if at all) I want to have it.  If the desire is strong, the willingness to pay more is higher - but these days, the desire is rarely very strong.

And everything I said about buying cards is 100% subjective, applies only to me, and can change without notice, because that's the nature of people, especially collectors.  I was a guy who wanted all the decks - until, even before Kickstarter blew up deck buying forever, I realized that it wasn't feasible or practical.  I already possess more decks of cards now than I could possibly consume in a lifetime, unless tossing them in a fire counted as consumption.  I've gotten very picky even about affordable decks, because affordable decks can add up to an unaffordable amount if purchased unchecked.  So while there's so many wicked-cool uber-rare decks out there, there's a buttload more affordable decks out there, a plethora from which to choose.

Now, back to topic.

Yes, I'd be interested in getting these cards, but only if I could get a few decks affordably.  I have a soft spot for my "native" decks - Tally-Ho in particular.  My wife used to work in the same neighborhood, Long Island City, where A. Doughtery had a manufacturing plant.  I drive through that neighborhood frequently between home and work.  If I had the resources, I'd look for that precise location and turn it into a museum for playing cards - but the odds are that I wouldn't be able to afford it due to the ongoing gentrification of the area and the accompanying construction of luxury high-rise apartment buildings that goes with it.  Ten years ago, the place was an armpit.  Now, it's "desirable real estate" in a neighborhood that's slowly but steadily getting upgraded.  In ten or twenty years, it'll be a clone of Park Slope or SoHo, too expensive for most mere mortals.  I love New York, but I loved it a lot more when it was actually affordable and I'm finding myself loving it less by the day.

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
wow the pledges were gone fast.as of this post 97% funded in 8 minutes...

definitely the prices we were expecting. I had wanted one of the wooden slip cases but extremely difficult for me to justify the price tag on it. got in for 2x LE decks.

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »

piratebear81

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I almost had the legacy edition but by the time I clicked on continue it was sold out.  I will not be  paying 4x the amount through ebay though I managed to get 2 X LE edition instead. 

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Yea I ended up with 2 decks as well haha. I tried to get to other tiers, it didn't work out. Sold out popped up so fast it wasn't even funny. Two is better than none, so I'm happy. ;)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

/bama

/bama

Well, it is $20 for a normal deck, $36 for a gilded, and $124 for the super limited edition wooden slip case.

This is by no means anywhere near cheap or average for that matter for a deck of cards. Is it affordable? Yes, in a sense. A trip to a fancy restaurant probably cost more than all 3 decks combined, but it is obvious that it is most likely going to be expensive when JR already priced an unlimited deck at around $10-13, when his previous Silver Arrow was priced at $6, not to mention a super limited, less than thousand for sale, decks.

While i agree with Sparkz it is unfair for Don to make such statements, you would also be kidding yourself if you think it is going to be anywhere cheap. I'm just going to ask back the same question, are you guys willing to pay any amount for a deck just because it is limited? How then, will you justify if a deck is worth every penny? I got a feeling many are jumping in just because it is a JR deck. No doubt the design is good, but i believe more are in simply because, it is going to worth some sh*t in the reselling market.

Back on the topic, it would seem that JR is right as his project got funded within 10minutes? $13,000 within 10 minutes. That is probably better than buying shares on the stock market. While i continue to say we (the main people making a ruckus in the forums) are a minority in the playing card market. I'm sure as hell the majority are also probably lurking around forums like these for the latest updates as well.

It probably feels like JR's sweet revenge against those who did not support his Silver Arrows deck.

EDIT: Those who didn't get any decks they wanted can stay on the project page for updates. Last i counted, amount of decks that were launched were less than what JR claimed there would be.

Comment from JR:
"Awesome! Wow! didn't expect this at all! I'm trying to add some of the remaining slots but my "edit project" page is being crashed. I will have to wait a while a try later.

You guys are awesome!"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:42:37 PM by PurpleIce »

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
In 140 backers if it stays as is, the whole campaign sells out. Kinda cool, kinda crazy. Definitely :bosswalk:.

Edit: looks like lower pledge tiers were bumped up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:12:47 PM by Fes »

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »

cbkimble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I'm in for a standard/gilded pair. I can't say I like the pricing( definitely a bit high) but I can say he isn't making anything off shipping this go around. Nice decks and he hit the nail on the head with limiting the availability of these and funding quickly. I don't think he's added all available decks to the campaign yet though.

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I'm in for a standard/gilded pair. I can't say I like the pricing( definitely a bit high) but I can say he isn't making anything off shipping this go around. Nice decks and he hit the nail on the head with limiting the availability of these and funding quickly. I don't think he's added all available decks to the campaign yet though.

No company ever makes any money off of shipping except USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. I believe everyone tends to forget it's "shipping and handling" so that will cover postal, packing material and someone to package it all up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:33:34 PM by bhong »

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
While i agree with Sparkz it is unfair for Don to make such statements, you would also be kidding yourself if you think it is going to be anywhere cheap. I'm just going to ask back the same question, are you guys willing to pay any amount for a deck just because it is limited?

PurpleIce, I never meant is was going to be cheap, but, and this will answer the second part of your question, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, Don might have looked at it and decided that "THIS" particular design and concept was worth purchasing. As far as how much I'm willing to pay, I don't know......It really is based on the deck, the amount, the print run, etc...

But, and this brings it back to a point I always make, that cost is effected by your intentions as well. I'm a collector, my only intention is to add it to my collection, it's worth and value isn't monetary to me, its based on what I like. This is going to be different for everyone, there is no right or wrong answer or price point. But look at the current state of Jackson's Tally campaign and you should get the a pretty good indication as to where his customers are in the question you posed.

I like Jackson's work, very much so, but I also liked it at $6.00 a deck. It's unfortunate that the Arrow's ended up as they did, I know Jackson wants to please as many people as he can, but the reality is that when it comes to card design and Kickstarters, they need to fund for Jackson's business to continue. And any business knows, you sell what made you who you are...........It seems pretty evident what the majority want from KWP. I can't and won't blame Jackson for that.

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »

ATS

I got in on 2x limited, wish there were more decks available of all of the types though.