You are Here:
Impressions Playing Cards by Make Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 7187 times)

Impressions Playing Cards by Make Playing Cards (KS)
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Impressions Playing Cards

Experience the touch and feel of the artwork on a deck of cards, produced using state of the art virko raised gloss effect technology.

The 3 decks

There are 2 main decks in this Kickstarter project. These are the Impressions Stealth Edition and the original Impressions deck. We also have an enlarge court cards special deck called the Impressions Court Edition.

Stealth Edition

Standard Edition

Court Edition

We took the traditional design for playing cards which is in the public domain, redrew the card faces completely making the design unique to the MPC brand. For the back, we also come up with a symmetrical design using a tree as the focal point since playing cards are essentially paper which originates from trees, hence the inspiration for the design.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Impressions Playing Cards by Make Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:20:48 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Backed this when it launched. Estimated delivery is in november which makes it a great deck to use as gifts. Whether I use them or not for my personal use, I'll be giving several away. I like the back design on them as well, the black and white one looks very nice. :)

The real reason I'm into these is this UV coating they're using. It sounds interesting. Has anyone here messed around with a deck that has this oddball raised coating on them? Very curious about it. From the photos and video on the KS page it's close to dead on accurate printing. I think the nature of the glue looking stuff itself causes the slight distortion on lines we see.

These are pretty cool imho, nice moves MPC. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:48:50 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
"For the back, we also come up with a symmetrical design using a tree as the focal point since playing cards are essentially paper which originates from trees, hence the inspiration for the design."

I actually LOL when i read this line...i mean...seriously..what next? "We are using our machines as a focal point since it is used to print our cards, next deck focal point will be money that buys our poker cards...etc"

What’s more, we have found a way to make the cards playable even after apply this secondary process which is a major breakthrough.

While design is definitely not the main focal point (nor a selling point) of this deck, i am really interested in this "new technology". While it says the cards are still playable, i wonder to what extend will the difference be from a normal deck of cards (I could make a deck from drawing on paper cardboards and it still be "playable"). I can imagine it will be a magician/cardist nightmare still, but will get the verdict when we can actually feel the deck for ourselves.

As a collector though, it is nice to see designers/printers trying out different stuff on cards.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
It's a form of  digital embossing. Basically you can cover a sheet minus the design or just aspects of the design. Car manufactures use the technique in about all in their product brochures. The coating visually  exaggerates the 3d effect and believe it or not the sheets will lay flat, however in no way will they fan well. Durability is not the best either.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 01:12:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I can't imagine that the 3-D coating will do anything good to the deck, performance-wise.  I think it would also make the deck considerably thicker.

The artwork on the other deck, the one with the enlarged, one-way courts, might get them into legal trouble.  While you can't copyright playing card designs, you can copyright artwork, and the art on those courts are cribbed from a few of USPC's decks from the past 20 years or so, such as the Fashion decks.  I'm no copyright lawyer, but I don't have to be one to know that USPC would likely take exception and probably has a much larger legal fund than MPC, so win or lose, MPC loses.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I can't imagine that the 3-D coating will do anything good to the deck, performance-wise.  I think it would also make the deck considerably thicker.

The artwork on the other deck, the one with the enlarged, one-way courts, might get them into legal trouble.  While you can't copyright playing card designs, you can copyright artwork, and the art on those courts are cribbed from a few of USPC's decks from the past 20 years or so, such as the Fashion decks.  I'm no copyright lawyer, but I don't have to be one to know that USPC would likely take exception and probably has a much larger legal fund than MPC, so win or lose, MPC loses.

The fashion deck's courts are zoomed out a bit more, it looks like.

Not to mention, it looks like they made a few subtle changes to the courts. Look inside the QoH. They're not entirely the same, but how different do they need to be to avoid violating copyright?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:45:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The fashion deck's courts are zoomed out a bit more, it looks like.

Not to mention, it looks like they made a few subtle changes to the courts. Look inside the QoH. They're not entirely the same, but how different do they need to be to avoid violating copyright?

That is hard to say.  Neither of us is a copyright lawyer.  At least I'm not; I'm assuming you aren't as well...yes?

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Voodoo I tell you.  It's great to know I have a deck of cards when I'm blind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbHuyT6Tohw

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Voodoo I tell you.  It's great to know I have a deck of cards when I'm blind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbHuyT6Tohw

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I jumped in on these...I LOVE the effect, very, very cool. The videos that they posted are fascinating as well, and I'm glad that they included them. I currently have three decades of experience in IT, and used to have a friend that owned a printing company, so it amazes me what the lowly printer can do now, from 3D printing to digital embossing. I agree with Don that these might not be the best performance-wise, but for casual card games, they will provide an unmatched "WOW" factor, and they just look like they'd be a ton of fun to play with. MPC is making progress in their bid to raise cards to a new level and regardless of whether or not they will ever get to the point of taking on the big boys directly, I'm glad to have another option to choose from.

I'm probably going to frame at least one of my uncut sheets without glass to encourage guests to touch the surface. Novelty? Maybe, but still a world of fun and something new and different. Digital embossing, foil stamped cards...bring on the technology! I love where things are headed! :-)

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Looks like they added on a white version.

Update #3 ℹ

Sep 29 2014

Unveiling the Phantom Ed. Deck

Dear All

Thank you for all your continued support on our Impressions playing cards and your many enquiries to MakePlayingCards.com.

Here it is...

We're 20 days into the project and with 20 days to go. It's a coincidence that it is today that we are going to release a new deck here. We've received many requests for a new stretch goal which we have seriously been working around the clock to achieve. So without further delay, we present to you the all new Impressions Phantom Edition by MPC playing cards.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 06:33:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Oh, come on!  This is like those dumb watch face designs that are black on black on black with no luminous markers or lights - sure, they look so cool, but try reading that in a dark bar and see how far you get!

When I'm blind, I'm sure these cards would be the bee's knees.  While I can still see, I have no desire to read my cards by touch and I see no reason to torture my eyes trying to look at these while playing cards all night.  Even "better", they're nearly useless for many magic tricks since even a simple move like a double lift now becomes ten times easier to spot.  You can see in their own photos that a stack of cards has large, visible gaps between them because of that goofy 3-D effect.

Actually, they'd take all the "magic" out of a magic trick.  You can tell by touch what your spectator's card is! 

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:59:15 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
They have an odd visual appeal but Don is right, they're not real practical.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Very, very cool and unique...up goes my pledge! They may not be practical, but not everything has to be. It's not practical to use any of my JNuggs in a game, but I still bought them. It's not practical to crack open one of my Aurum Laser Cuts to play a game, but I still bought them. My game rooms are lit well, so there wouldn't be any "dark bar" type of issue, and I know that any of these decks would be a big hit. I frequently have about 3 dozen teens over whenever my kids have friends visit, and these would definitely draw oohs and aahs. Practical for professionals? maybe not. Cool and fun for us non-professionals? Oh yeah! To each his, or her, own! :-) I'm just glad that these are an option for those who want them.

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Very, very cool and unique...up goes my pledge! They may not be practical, but not everything has to be. It's not practical to use any of my JNuggs in a game, but I still bought them. It's not practical to crack open one of my Aurum Laser Cuts to play a game, but I still bought them. My game rooms are lit well, so there wouldn't be any "dark bar" type of issue, and I know that any of these decks would be a big hit. I frequently have about 3 dozen teens over whenever my kids have friends visit, and these would definitely draw oohs and aahs. Practical for professionals? maybe not. Cool and fun for us non-professionals? Oh yeah! To each his, or her, own! :-) I'm just glad that these are an option for those who want them.
Wow! 3 dozen teens at one time. I cringe at the prospect... I have had as many as 5 or 6 teen girls over at one time hanging out with my daughters and barely managed to keep my sanity.  You get props in my book just for that.
  I did not say that I wouldn't want to pick one of these up for my collection. Afterall, I have some way less practical decks that do not look anywhere as nice as these. I guess I was just stating the obvious. No disrespect intended ... :karrit:
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
The white deck looks almost like a snowflake to me. Top points for original card texture feature. I like it also because it is new and different. And as Don mentioned should anyone go blind they can still continue their weekly poker game.
Will, what is with the carrot? LOL, I like it  :karrit:

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
The selling point here is this is the first time cards are actually embossed. Something different, true "never been done before". Same as Mech 3D deck, it's not about the playing cards, it's about the innovation.

My two cents.

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
haha, I love this thread. I also love these decks. The phantom I'm on the fence about but the other three I really like. I think it's very cool and I'm interested in having my mitts on them to check them out. These aren't what anyone is used to, because they're something new. New isn't bad or terrifying, new is fun in my opinion. The video shows them being all flexy and wonderful. Durability is the question, but I personally don't pick up any deck expecting it to last through eight hours of poker and in pristine shape at the end. They don't do that haha.

I absolutely love that MPC is trying to do new things. MPC has proven themselves to be a fantastic company that serve our beloved hobby and industry in a meaningful way. I'm happy to support them in these and I'll probably end up with a handful of Phantom decks too. To be totally honest, I wanted to see a red or green card back instead of these Phantoms that showed up. So I'm kinda of all ho hum about them at the moment. I can understand why they'd go with whites instead of red or green, it's KS and white's are going to get more attention.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Not a big fan of MPC, but I like this concept. To me, the standard edition is the better edition - probably because I like my courts to have colour rather than just be black/white. I agree with Fes, I would've expected a green colour, considering their "inspiration" were trees ....
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 03:41:28 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
The white deck looks almost like a snowflake to me. Top points for original card texture feature. I like it also because it is new and different. And as Don mentioned should anyone go blind they can still continue their weekly poker game.
Will, what is with the carrot? LOL, I like it  :karrit:
The carrot was to represent that I was throwing something out there for everyone to chew on.  Figuratively speaking of course... 
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 10:48:51 PM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

Totally agree! They may not be very practical for poker or magic, but the concept is interesting and new, and I personally think they look really cool, so I'm in for a few...

Someone's been drinking a bit too much hatorade, methinks... As for watches, there are many, many high end watches which are totally impractical, either for wearing or for reading the time off of, but some are still prized by collectors or admirers as works of art... Not every watch has to have the readability of a pilot's watch, and not every deck has to be perfect for playing poker or doing magic with... Sometimes it's ok to just have something for novelty or for art!

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 02:53:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Totally agree! They may not be very practical for poker or magic, but the concept is interesting and new, and I personally think they look really cool, so I'm in for a few...

Someone's been drinking a bit too much hatorade, methinks... As for watches, there are many, many high end watches which are totally impractical, either for wearing or for reading the time off of, but some are still prized by collectors or admirers as works of art... Not every watch has to have the readability of a pilot's watch, and not every deck has to be perfect for playing poker or doing magic with... Sometimes it's ok to just have something for novelty or for art!

It's not the hatorade, trust me.  :))

As a work of art that can sit in a frame hanging on the wall, sure, they're pretty cool - there's no denying that.  It would even be a pretty cool t-shirt design or something.  But for me, I simply prefer decks with greater functionality over decks that simply look pretty.

I could easily imagine my poker group's reaction to these cards.  Anything too far from standard they're likely to fling at me like monkeys flinging their own poop.  And these would be even worse - a dealer can literally read the cards as they're being dealt, if he knows what he's doing and holds the deck in the left hand to deal with the right hand.  It's possibly the most marked deck ever created, even more marked than the Bicycle Braille deck.

Buying a high end watch I can't read to me is nearly as practical as using a sundial watch while riding the subway.  I even tend to not get watches that are lacking markings for the individual minutes/seconds on the face!  I'm currently wearing this watch more frequently than any other.  I do own watches that I like for fun, but they're generally VERY inexpensive, usually under $20.  Most of my watch collection is dead-on practical.

This watch never needs a new battery (it has no battery, using a solar panel behind the face and a capacitor for energy storage), can display a second time zone, has an alarm, a 24-hour indicator and a perpetual calendar - it knows not just the day of the week and date of the month, but what the month is, how long that month is and whether this is a leap year or not, so it can automatically adjust the date at the end of the month without me having to do it.  Tonight, the date jumped from 30 to 1 because it knows it was September, a month that has only 30 days in it.  The calendar feature of the watch never needs a manual adjustment from me until the night of February 28, 2100 - a "fourth year" that isn't a leap year.  And of course, it's water-tight to any depth I'd be comfortable swimming in.

Again - I'm running on a tangent.  Back to the topic.

Suffice it to say that I think they look nice and all that, but I'd never put this deck in my collection.  It's such a novelty that I'd never use it, and there are too many things I own that are sitting somewhere, just collecting dust.  As far as the attractiveness factor, it's OK but I can think of many much-nicer looking decks to show off.

But if anyone else loves this deck, by all means, buy it!  Me not buying it simply means there's more for you!  I never hate a person, preferring to hate the individual acts that person commits that are worthy of hatred.  If I don't like or even hate an object, that doesn't mean I'm going to get you not to buy it for any given reason - I'm simply expressing basic individual preferences, not proselytizing to convert you to the Church of Me, 'cause that church simply doesn't exist!  I'm just like anyone else here, except perhaps for having a tendency to write more frequently...  :))

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 09:04:54 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Wonder if they will try the digital foil next. Scodix has actually has come out with a whole line of metallic uv coatings.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Here's another thing to chew on...MPC did their KS, and took people's comments about the final product to heat. People (rightly) complained about the cut edges, and MPC worked to get different cutting equipment in. They are trying new and different things, and taking critiques and working to improve their process. The best way to make products that people want is to give them what they ask for, and more. They are experimenting with a process here, to gauge interest. Based on the pledge amounts, I'd say that it's high. They will most likely learn a new process or two, or technique, during this experiment, and put that into a future design/manufacturing process. We support them buy buying decks. Heck, they even give us a view of the process and I love that! These are really novelty decks I'll be the first to admit, but they're something new and different, and may help them refine their manufacturing enough to the point where they can not only compete with Legends or USPCC, but they may be able to provide innovations that the others can't. You know who wins when that happens? WE do! :-) I'm excited to have another player honestly trying to innovate their way up the ladder and if they have already gotten to this point, rising from their humble KS level deck not too many months ago, I am truly excite to get these, but even more so to see what's next. Neat and new designs will always sell, but new deck innovations are a very refreshing change! Embossing, foiling, laser cutting...bring it all on!

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I just got some in my hands on some of these and I'm pretty happy with them. These are cool! The card stock isn't as springy as I'd have hoped and I played hell getting them to faro. The glossy embossing isn't thick or obnoxious, it's thin and pretty wonderful actually. I don't think longevity will be an issue on them, time will tell. They riffle well and are going to be a lot of fun on the poker table. Good stuff out of MPC.

Edit: Here's a couple pics. Poker used KoD bent to show how thin the embossing is and a not used Joker to show the embossing off a little bit. Makes for a new experience with playing cards. I like them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:52:52 AM by Fes »