Gatorback Riders from David Blaine

Author (Read 106484 times)

Re: Gatorback Riders from David Blaine
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2014, 01:16:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It seems strange that they'd sell off all the decks in that color all at once like that.  They've never done this before.  Sure, there's a first time for everything, but it just seems atypical of Blaine's company.

Could it also be possible that the blacks being sent as replacements for damaged greens are meant to spark hyperbole from people just like us?  Meaning that they actually do have greens in stock but are still holding off on selling them?  And the remaining greens might be specifically being held for a retail release at a higher price point than the per-deck price of the recently sold-out bricks?

See, that's the problem - too many things are possible, so there's no way of telling with any accuracy which will turn out to be the truth of the matter.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2014, 02:58:40 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It seems strange that they'd sell off all the decks in that color all at once like that.  They've never done this before.  Sure, there's a first time for everything, but it just seems atypical of Blaine's company.

Could it also be possible that the blacks being sent as replacements for damaged greens are meant to spark hyperbole from people just like us?  Meaning that they actually do have greens in stock but are still holding off on selling them?  And the remaining greens might be specifically being held for a retail release at a higher price point than the per-deck price of the recently sold-out bricks?

See, that's the problem - too many things are possible, so there's no way of telling with any accuracy which will turn out to be the truth of the matter.

Well, if it is like what we are assuming, where the black Gators will be more of a public retailing deck, then i highly doubt DB would send a different replacement deck to receive a highly probable backlash in the future. I believe it will be 1) unlike what we are assuming, the black Gators will be as rare and sold in the same way as the Greens, or even rarer. Or 2) He really is totally out of Greens.

If not if i was the one receiving the replacement blacks instead of greens...i'll definitely make my case again back at DB.

Or 3) It was simply packed wrongly...  :P

« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2014, 06:32:36 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Anything is possible I suppose.

Yes, I find it strange DB (store) would sell all of the GREEN, knowing people who buy decks get pissy when they have the slightest damage. This is not DB's first rodeo. I find it stranger yet, that DB (store) would replace an item with something else other then what the customer ordered when they still have that item. Think about the outrage from customers that received a replacement black, only to see more green available on the store months/weeks later. Of course I reserve the 2nd printing (green) option and David's own private stash from my hypothesis.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:37:43 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2014, 08:01:50 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
Right if you ordered a damaged pair of Nikes and the company shipped you different shoes to replace them? Just to spark hyperbole? It's bad business. They didn't even ask me if that was ok. The decks are not even close in quality so it's not just a deck of a different color. I ordered an apple and they mailed me an orange.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:02:56 AM by Magic_Orthodoxy »
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2014, 09:19:54 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Right if you ordered a damaged pair of Nikes and the company shipped you different shoes to replace them? Just to spark hyperbole? It's bad business. They didn't even ask me if that was ok. The decks are not even close in quality so it's not just a deck of a different color. I ordered an apple and they mailed me an orange.

I assume you bought the brick (12 decks) and that the damage is only on a few of those decks? I totally understand wanting what you paid for. As an eBay seller, I also understand the frustration of knowing I took every procaution making sure an item is received by someone in the same condition I sent it. Only to have it damaged, by the shipping service. Where does the blame begin and how do we correct it. Does DB eat the cost for the shipping service or defective items from the manufacture? I feel your agony, but I think DB (store) did what they could. At least you don't have to spend money to buy the black deck, now that you know what they are. Your down a few decks but you save by not having to buy black. You get to review it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:22:25 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
So now we know that...

· The green ones are the premium decks (sold out)
· The black ones are for retail (lesser quality)
· Theres a red version
· The red version seems to be for retail (lesser quality)
Form Follows Function

« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »

ozfan30

• 52 Plus Joker Member
How many of your decks were damaged MagicOrthodoxy?

« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
So now we know that...

· The green ones are the premium decks (sold out)
· The black ones are for retail (lesser quality)
· Theres a red version
· The red version seems to be for retail (lesser quality)

I think your starting rumors... First an albino version, now a red version. If there is a red version great! I would love to own them and an albino version for that matter.

Please provide a source.

I would not go as far as saying a lesser quality. No embossed tuck and no metallic inks are not low quality by any stretch. In MO's case, I understand the disappointment of paying for something and getting it replaced with something else. I'd be happy to own them. Even sweeter if after buying them from the DB store, I can go to wallmart and pick up more at a later date.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:35:51 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2014, 02:51:25 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I assume you bought the brick (12 decks) and that the damage is only on a few of those decks? I totally understand wanting what you paid for. As an eBay seller, I also understand the frustration of knowing I took every procaution making sure an item is received by someone in the same condition I sent it. Only to have it damaged, by the shipping service. Where does the blame begin and how do we correct it. Does DB eat the cost for the shipping service or defective items from the manufacture? I feel your agony, but I think DB (store) did what they could. At least you don't have to spend money to buy the black deck, now that you know what they are. Your down a few decks but you save by not having to buy black. You get to review it.

I disagree. It would be easy for any store to have that view, but I take the opposite. If any part of your order reaches you damaged then who you purchased it from 95% of the time are to fault. If it was mishandled by the postal service, damage can still be prevented by quality packaging. It's impossible to prevent absolutely every little bit of damage, but they should have either kept stock aside to fulfil damaged decks or simply refunded him. That's what we would do.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I disagree. It would be easy for any store to have that view, but I take the opposite. If any part of your order reaches you damaged then who you purchased it from 95% of the time are to fault. If it was mishandled by the postal service, damage can still be prevented by quality packaging. It's impossible to prevent absolutely every little bit of damage, but they should have either kept stock aside to fulfil damaged decks or simply refunded him. That's what we would do.

True, It is the responsibility of the seller, fault or no fault. I would have also refunded money. However, he selling sealed brick boxes. We are talking about partial refunds. So, either return the whole brick and get refund or get replacement decks. Should they have held on to extra, yes. I made that point before. "Not DB's first rodeo". Since they did not keep extra, how do you fix the problem? I don't see partial refunds as an exceptible option. The deal was you buy the brick or nothing. Either he returns the whole brick and gets a refund, having now no green decks, or he accepts the replacement decks and still gets to keep the green he has. I'm not saying the Blaine store did not mess up a bit but given the circumstances did try to fix the problem.

In addition, did MO even return the decks? Are the cards still usable? He got to keep usable decks and got black replacements. Sounds fine to me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:07:54 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »

Amon_GR

• Newcomer
  • Mastering the art of deception...

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
As far as I am concerned, the main issue is the fact that - for one reason or another - the customer did not receive his exact order (without being at fault). At the same time, the seller from his end should have been prepared for such setbacks. In any case, I believe that the seller cannot assume that the customer will be satisfied by any, different kind of replacement product.

« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
http://instagram.com/p/rf5UfYjPSj/?modal=true

This video from awhile back on DB's instagram page shows the Black, Red and Green Gatorbacks. Whether the reds will go on sale remains to be seen as Green went on sale and are sold out and Black is mentioned on the instagram feed as "coming soon".

« Reply #187 on: September 13, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
Well technically... THAT red deck is a split spade

I got to keep my "damaged deck" yes. Both the brick box was smashed, and I had 1 deck on the inside that had a dented corner. But I know some people who have had 8 gatorbacks damaged in shipping. DB  fulfillment wrapped everything in brown paper - which was not sufficient.

Oh and if anyone is guilty of the red gatorback rumor, it's Mark Stutzman who posted this image on his website

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:09:55 PM by Magic_Orthodoxy »

« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I got to keep my "damaged deck" yes. Both the brick box was smashed, and I had 1 deck on the inside that had a dented corner. But I know some people who have had 8 gatorbacks damaged in shipping. DB  fulfillment wrapped everything in brown paper - which was not sufficient.

Oh and if anyone is guilty of the red gatorback rumor, it's Mark Stutzman who posted this image on his website

MO bringing the evidence! +1 Yea, I'd say that's a go! :))
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:33:54 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
the two stocks may be identical- green on left and black on right

the green deck has a high chemical smell - which "MAY" be magic finish due to the metallic inks? (I dunnah - someone wake Don and ask him)
the black deck doesn't have that smell at all

« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2014, 02:29:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well, Don IS awake, now - and eating lunch!

All brand new playing cards straight from the box have a slight chemical odor to them because of the chemicals used in the finish - Magic Finish has a sharper, more "chemical-y" smell than a standard pack of Bikes from the drug store.  The off-the-shelf Bikes might have an odor faint enough that you can't detect it, depending on your olfactory sensitivity.

Who remembers the release of the White Lions?  It was, in order:
Series A Blue (common)
Series A "Red" Rainbow (rare, not sold individually)
Series A "Purple" Rainbow (rare, not sold individually)
Series A "Blue UV" Rainbow (rare, not sold individually)

Then came the easy-to-get versions...
Series B Blue and Red (simultaneous, common)
"Black Label" (common)
"Stealth Cards" (extremely rare)

Who wants to bet that there will be a "version two" where the green deck is reprinted and made available to all either individually or in pairs?  Nearly all of Blaine's deck releases came in three colors, not counting the crazy-rare variants.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #191 on: September 14, 2014, 06:59:02 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Who wants to bet that there will be a "version two" where the green deck is reprinted and made available to all either individually or in pairs?  Nearly all of Blaine's deck releases came in three colors, not counting the crazy-rare variants.

I never have dreams that involve playing cards. No joke, last night I had a dream I was holding BLUE gatorbacks.

@Don, If there is anything I've learned about using past history to predict DB's product line, Blaine is unpredictable. I remember before silver split spades were released there were doubts about the use of metallic inks because he had not used it before. Now we have two metallic ink decks from DB.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:07:17 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

I never have dreams that involve playing cards. No joke, last night I had a dream I was holding BLUE gatorbacks.

Green, black, and blue. It could happen. I quite like the thought of blue gators actually.

Years ago, I guess around fifteen now, I had a nightmare about tuck boxes that changed my life. Pristine hardly touched tuck boxes. They were animated little creature tucks, coughing up filthy playing cards from poker games. After they finished spilling the cards, they turned on me. Started to bite me with little tuck mouths. I ran and ran, but they were surprisingly fast and incredibly hungry. I woke up all panting looking around like an idiot haha. Started using only fresh decks after that.

Hope those Blue Gatorbacks weren't trying to eat you. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2014, 07:48:48 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Green, black, and blue. It could happen. I quite like the thought of blue gators actually.

Years ago, I guess around fifteen now, I had a nightmare about tuck boxes that changed my life. Pristine hardly touched tuck boxes. They were animated little creature tucks, coughing up filthy playing cards from poker games. After they finished spilling the cards, they turned on me. Started to bite me with little tuck mouths. I ran and ran, but they were surprisingly fast and incredibly hungry. I woke up all panting looking around like an idiot haha. Started using only fresh decks after that.

Hope those Blue Gatorbacks weren't trying to eat you. :)

I guess my point was, we should not use history to predict DB's product line. We already know there will be a RED, If there is a BLUE it could be 4 colors. Not 3.

That's one awesome dream you had. lol I see *most of my dreams as warnings. Over time (My 20's) I learned to rely on dreams (and other senses) because they have been "for the most part accurate" for me months/years later. Forcing me to change my own behavior patterns or future events that I have an impact on. Maybe your dream was a warning to use new decks when playing poker. You could have been cheated or maybe someone was on to you cheating.

No gators were eating me. lol Just a BLUE gatorback printed tuck.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:22:12 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

The exact same thing happened to me! Brick box got smashed, and the deck in that corner of the box got it's corner mangled...

Edit to add: Otherwise though, really like the deck! The black embossed tuck feels great in the hand and looks awesome - understated, but elegant, with the green gator a nice contrast. The cards themselves are beautiful - I love how the metallic green ink on the cardbacks catches the light in a subtle but still cool-looking effect...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:16:18 AM by aldazar »

« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2014, 09:02:40 AM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Well, Don IS awake, now - and eating lunch!

All brand new playing cards straight from the box have a slight chemical odor to them because of the chemicals used in the finish - Magic Finish has a sharper, more "chemical-y" smell than a standard pack of Bikes from the drug store.  The off-the-shelf Bikes might have an odor faint enough that you can't detect it, depending on your olfactory sensitivity.

Who remembers the release of the White Lions?  It was, in order:
Series A Blue (common)
Series A "Red" Rainbow (rare, not sold individually)
Series A "Purple" Rainbow (rare, not sold individually)
Series A "Blue UV" Rainbow (rare, not sold individually)

Then came the easy-to-get versions...
Series B Blue and Red (simultaneous, common)
"Black Label" (common)
"Stealth Cards" (extremely rare)

Don, could you remind me what are Stealth Cards? Seems like this is the first time to see this. A picture maybe?

« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »

Msp062

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
The stealth deck is the deck of 37 or so gaff cards for the white lions. It was sold as a set with a card clip. The box is black on top, red on bottom, with a blue oval over the lion symbol.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:25:10 AM by Msp062 »

« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
The stealth deck is the deck of 37 or so gaff cards for the white lions. It was sold as a set with a card clip. The box is black on top, red on bottom, with a blue oval over the lion symbol.

Now I know. Never knew they were called stealth deck. Thanks bud!

« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2014, 07:26:58 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
So, has anyone tried to figure out some of the secrets in this deck?
I found some numbers on the back of the gators. Don't know if they mean anything though.
The numbers are 10 20 and 10 50

Don't know why it's showing up landscape :/ if you click on the photo it'll open up a new page as portrait.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:29:11 AM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »

Msp062

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I noticed the numbers too.  I think every card has the same numbers.