You are Here:
[ AUCTION STYLE SALE...ENDING SOON] VAUDEVILLE UNCUT SHEET

Author (Read 3506 times)

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
So I want to try something here ( mods feel free to shut me down if I am out of line on this ). I want to run an auction style sale on here, for you guys only, as opposed to putting it on ebay. As the title says, it will be for a Vaudeville Uncut Sheet. The Auction starts now and ends on April 13th at 10pm EST. At which point I will invoice the winner by Paypal for payment. Keep in mind, the internet is somewhat slow and this is being run by a man and not a machine...so waiting until the last seconds to snipe a bid probably isn't the wisest choice. Good luck and happy bidding my friends. :t11: 8) ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:14:56 PM by sinsandman »
Magical as Sin!

Re: [ AUCTION STYLE ] VAUDEVILLE UNCUT SHEET
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I think the title should also include "Sale" somewhere in there.
Also, at what price is the auction starting?

Re: [ AUCTION STYLE ] VAUDEVILLE UNCUT SHEET
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Are you going to have people post here to auction for it, or PM you with their prices?

Re: [ AUCTION STYLE SALE ] VAUDEVILLE UNCUT SHEET
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Good catch on the lack of the word "sale". Also, bidding starts at $50...$2 less than they were sold for. All bids will take place here, how else would people know what the bid is at? That would also leave room for shadiness to go on. No shenanigans to be had here lol 8)
Magical as Sin!

Re: [ AUCTION STYLE SALE] VAUDEVILLE UNCUT SHEET
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:21:57 AM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I call $50, let's go.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Nice start Run! Every bid is getting upfamed lol
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
52 for me! love them

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I strongly recommend that you throw a clause into the auction terms that the bids must remain unedited, and that an edited bid post will be disregarded.  Someone could make a bid near the last minute, get outbid, then edit the post to increase the bid, making it seem as though they weren't actually outbid in the first place.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 03:05:24 AM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Well, what he can do is that acknowledge what the last bidder has offered. In that way, no bidder could edit his post.

I call $54.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 04:31:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well, what he can do is that acknowledge what the last bidder has offered. In that way, no bidder could edit his post.

I call $54.

It would require him to monitor the forum at all times to see who bid what when.  Insuring that only unedited bid posts are accepted makes things a whole lot simpler, since only you or a moderator can alter your own post.

I'm not bidding, though honestly, I'm a little intrigued by the idea of an auction done in this fashion.  EBay fees be damned!

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:17:34 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Appreciate the suggestions, Don. I try to keep a pretty close eye on this. I am also hoping that people have integrity and won't be editing their posts. I will know if they do though. Perhaps instead of having a certain time on the 13th, I can just end it at some point on the 13th? It may upset some people who aren't by their computer, but to counteract that...say, if you bid $62 on wed but intend to bump it $98 closer to close, you probably should have bid the $98 to begin with. Does that make sense? So if I say I am ending it between 12pm EST and 11:59 EST on the 13th, that should prevent sniping and editing....right?
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 03:03:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Appreciate the suggestions, Don. I try to keep a pretty close eye on this. I am also hoping that people have integrity and won't be editing their posts. I will know if they do though. Perhaps instead of having a certain time on the 13th, I can just end it at some point on the 13th? It may upset some people who aren't by their computer, but to counteract that...say, if you bid $62 on wed but intend to bump it $98 closer to close, you probably should have bid the $98 to begin with. Does that make sense? So if I say I am ending it between 12pm EST and 11:59 EST on the 13th, that should prevent sniping and editing....right?

An auction needs a specific closing time - you don't go changing the terms mid-way through the process.

This is how eBay sniping works.

Joe Sixpack wants an X-Gadget and sees one selling on eBay.  He knows how badly he wants it, knows just how much he's willing to pay for it, but has heard stories about shill bidding and canceled bids pushing up prices and forcing people to pay their maximum bid instead of catching a break - and Joe wants to catch a break.  So Joe decides he's just going to bid some portion of what he's really willing to pay.

Now, Harry Snipe-Bidder III lies in wait, hoping that someone like Joe placed the last bid and is currently near his maximum.  Harry swoops in at the last available moment, just barely exceeding Joe's posted maximum bid even though Joe was willing to pay more, and Joe loses out on getting the X-Gadget to Harry.

If Joe wasn't near his max, Harry could still push him there using an illegal "bot" program to push the bidding with rapid, continuous bids until Harry's finally the high bidder, though there's a chance that rather than win, time will expire first and he may have simply forced Joe to pay more.

If you want to catch a deal on eBay, bid like Joe and be prepared to be disappointed more often than not.  But there's a key difference between eBay and this type of auction - there's no "automated bidding" mechanism in play here and no sniper-bots.  You bid what you bid, period.  Someone outbids you, you have to get your butt over here and bid more before the deadline.  Alternately, you can just drop a higher, more realistic bid in the first place.  You won't catch one of those legendary eBay bargains people love talking about, but you also will be less likely to be sniped at the last moment - and even if you are, you'll be high enough in the bidding that you wouldn't want to push higher anyway at that point.

Sniping works for the sniper only if people are underbidding the item's real value in their eyes, a practice that happens on eBay all the time.  If you want to actually get the item up for bids in a non-eBay type of auction environment like this, you simply offer a real bid that's higher than others are willing to pay.  If I threw up a $200 bid right now, Harry Snipe-Bidder III would be forced to either go higher than me or go home, and assuming he chooses to go home, I get the item, period.  Harry can attempt a last-minute higher bid to try to avoid a "feeding frenzy", but if his bid is three seconds later than someone else's last-minute bid of the same amount, he lose unless he can re-bid FAST.  He may also hit a data bottleneck somewhere on the net and watch his last-minute higher bid take too long, only to be posted within seconds after bidding has ended.

You've given a stated end-time of 10pm (10:00:00pm) EST on April 13th.  Now, since that time doesn't actually exist considering that Daylight Saving Time started already for the entire US Eastern Time Zone (D'oh!), we'll correct that to read 11:00:00pm EDT on that date, or for those working internationally, UTC 03:00:00 on Saturday 14 April 2012.

In simpler terms, the auction ends at 3AM Greenwich Mean Time on the 14th.  Any bids posted after that time will not be accepted.

I've heard of a more interesting way of handing last minute bids that absolutely kills snipe bidders - but it's too late to use that here, since you've already started accepting bids and it would be unfair to change the terms after the auction starts.

Sniping works because the bidding has a fixed, hard deadline - a higher bid will still lose if it's entered too late.  Some online auctions are experimenting with the idea of altering the deadline when there's late bidding.  Basically, you set a time period - for example, five minutes.  Two conditions need to be met to end the auction - first, that the posted end-time has been reached; second, that there have been no bids made for at least that time period.

The way this works in the real world is that Harry can jump in on Joe's auction and place a late bid in the last five seconds - but he resets the ending of the auction to five minutes after his bid!  Joe jumps in and re-bids - and again, the end time is reset to five minutes after THAT bid.  Linda I. Gottagetit can run in at that point and outbid Joe and Harry - again resetting the end of the auction to five minutes from her bid.  Bidding can continue indefinitely until finally the bidders decide they've had enough and stop bidding for a period of five minutes since the last bid, at which point the auction ends.

This type of bidding can drive up the final selling price if people aren't careful about getting caught up in the frenzy, bidding simply for the sake of bidding.  It's another instance where fronting a real, serious bid in the first place will prevent you from getting outbid.  Snipers want the item, but they usually also want a bargain, and this type of bidding prevents bargains obtained through the use of delaying tactics.  Anyone in his right mind, before even attempting to bid at the last moment, has to think of just how much he's truly willing to part with to win that auction and get that item.

I don't know if a name for this type of auction already exists, but I would call it a "poker auction" since the last-minute bidding feature resembles a long round of betting in a poker game, where everyone has to either call or fold to the highest bet before the round ends.  If someone raises, the round continues until no one raises.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:05:15 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 09:56:07 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Don, thank you for taking the time to explain all that as well as correct the time ::) I seem to learn from you often. Much appreciated
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, thank you for taking the time to explain all that as well as correct the time ::) I seem to learn from you often. Much appreciated

Glad I could help.  For any auction accepting bids from potentially anywhere in the world, you need to give a universal time for the auction's end.  EBay does automatic time conversions for you - we don't have such things here as far as auction postings so you have to do it manually.

Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) is the simplest - it's Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) stated in a 24-hour style.  When I used to spend time listening to shortwave radio, all the stations gave time in UTC.  It kills potential confusion with Daylight Saving Time (or what many people outside the US call Summer Time).  Even within the US, we actually have places that don't observe DST, the largest of which probably being the entire state of Arizona; they're now on the same time as the West Coast.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I am somewhat surprised at the lack of activity on this one. I watch the ebay auctions go through the roof and here we are at $54 lol. Figured fellow Aetherions would be all over it. 8)
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:07:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I am somewhat surprised at the lack of activity on this one. I watch the ebay auctions go through the roof and here we are at $54 lol. Figured fellow Aetherions would be all over it. 8)

The auction doesn't end for a while yet, and this is a new sales model for this site.  I'm sure there will be more activity near the deadline.  I suggest bumping it at 24 and 3 hours remaining.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Hey guys, there is only a little over 24 hours left on this auction, don't let it slip away. These uncuts are already going for over $100 on eBay.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys, there is only a little over 24 hours left on this auction, don't let it slip away. These uncuts are already going for over $100 on eBay.

Maybe some people are waiting to get in at the last minute...

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
is the auction still going ?? if yes i am bidding $58

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
LESS THAN 12 HOURS LEFT!!! ACT NOW, AWESOME PRICE!!!
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Less than 5 hours! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Magical as Sin!

Re: [ AUCTION STYLE SALE...ENDING SOON] VAUDEVILLE UNCUT SHEET
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 09:29:35 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member