You are Here:
Splash Deck - NEW Kickstarter Campaign

Author (Read 815 times)

Splash Deck - NEW Kickstarter Campaign
« on: April 08, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »

SplashCards

• Newcomer
Hello everyone ! This is our first post on this forum. We would like to introduce our card design and get feedback from the community plus raise awareness for our KickStarter campaign. Here is the link to our page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/988510218/splash-deck-relaunch.

Feedback would be appreciated !

Re: Splash Deck - NEW Kickstarter Campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:19:59 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
First of all, this cards is not suited for magician or poker player, due to the colour bleeds will give away the suits.
And having the suit at the centre of the cards make it looks like they are all aces (Don Boyer told me this before  :) )
Maybe for some card manipulator like An Ha Lim or Yu Ho Jin, they will love it for their routine, but I am not too sure about the others. At least for me I wouldn't be able to use these cards.
Back for more

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Hello everyone ! This is our first post on this forum. We would like to introduce our card design and get feedback from the community plus raise awareness for our KickStarter campaign. Here is the link to our page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/988510218/splash-deck-relaunch.

Feedback would be appreciated !

First of all, this cards is not suited for magician or poker player, due to the colour bleeds will give away the suits.
And having the suit at the centre of the cards make it looks like they are all aces (Don Boyer told me this before  :) )
Maybe for some card manipulator like An Ha Lim or Yu Ho Jin, they will love it for their routine, but I am not too sure about the others. At least for me I wouldn't be able to use these cards.

Took the words right out of my mouth...

For standard play, these cards would not be very desirable.

• The four-color design makes games like solitaire - games that depend on the two-color design - difficult at best, impossible at worst.
  • The printing of the various colors into the bleed does indeed allow one to identify a card's suit by looking at the edges of the cards, even when stacked into a deck.
  • Placing a single pip in the center does indeed make them look like aces, but worse, it makes the cards more difficult to distinguish from each other (other than suit, of course, which stands out like a sore thumb because of the colors).
  • Custom deck collectors tend to purchase a pack for its perceived beauty, and yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - but even the most basic pack of Bicycles has more attractiveness to its appearance than this, because this is utterly devoid of the art that makes up a traditional design.
  • Many collectors will buy cards for the intricate and well-designed tuck box.  Designers often decorate them with hot-pressed foil, embossing, intricate artwork, printing on the box interior, etc.  What does yours look like?
  • Your video actually asks the WRONG questions.  "How do playing cards look today?"  Better than ever, since the beginning of the current wave of custom deck design converged with computer-aided design and crowdfunding.  Decks unlike any seen before, with the highest degree of creativity, are getting produced on a regular basis.  You proceed to demonstrate a stream of playing card faces and backs - ALL of which look more interesting than your deck and are easier on the eyes.  "Are you bored of plain old decks?"  Perhaps - but that's why I buy custom decks on Kickstarter and elsewhere, right?  "The same old red and black cards" well, sometimes they're red and white, sometimes they're blue and black, sometimes they're some other two-color combination, etc.  "So are we," you say, and introduce "Splash Cards" - a very boring face design, no images of the backs, no tuck box design, and a serious design flaw making the cards mostly look the same and suit-identifiable from the edge...

Before claiming your product is superior to what's out there now, LOOK AT WHAT'S OUT THERE NOW.  I've seen more exciting used dishwater.

Four-color deck designs were created for one reason - to allow people with poor vision to identify suits without having to actually see the suit.  Older people playing poker use them due to having failing vision.  But two colors are needed for many games, and the deck is already divided in four by the suits themselves.  By making the cards a four-color design like this, you've eliminated the two-color distinction and replaced it with nothing.

I could go on, but I'm tired and have an appointment.  Please, make something better, more original, than these cards.[/list]
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I took only 10 words out of your mouth, you still have plenty anyway  ;)

I saw your previous project symple which is very similar, the only difference is the colour.
I don't mind minimalists design but it got to be interesting as well.
Try making something funny, maybe like a pun draw a tree with a shape of heart to symbolised three of hearts.

Back for more

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Just to reinforce what Don was saying: The cards need to be usable, right now they are pure novelty, why even bother making them 'playing cards' and not just '4 color cards' and drop the suites and values entirely? While extreme, limiting novely is fun, it isn't marketable. At least put suited pips next to the card values in the corners, so they can be a *little* bit more usable to poker players and magicians. Add a small white border and they will be closer to usable. Maybe make the suits White and Black on the colors, so you can keep your "Crazy groundbreaking new design" colors and then actually be functional as a deck of cards. I already have a few decks of CMYK cards, these aren't really doing much for me right now, and I am one of the 2% that likes form over function. So if you are losing me, you are losing a lot more potential backers with even minimal standards.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:36:40 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:46:01 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
SplashCards - Better check your "Two card".  The font of "2" seems a bit small compared to the other number cards.  Seems like the easy fix to make your deck at least playable is to put a small white border around your cards.  If you looking for suggestions for your Back of Card.  It probably needs the same small white outer border since you don't know how cut border bleeds work.  Also use all 4 colors of your suits in a crazy pattern on your Back of Card.  Make sure its a mirrored image and please no text on the Back of Card. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:47:34 PM by sprouts1115 »