You are Here:
Initial Design Concept

Author (Read 942 times)

Initial Design Concept
« on: May 10, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »

aiza

• Newcomer
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here, I was inspired by Alvin from Sishou playing cards and I'm looking forward to trying my hand at designing my first deck of playing cards.

I've done some initial sketches, attached here. My idea is to design minimal, geometric playing cards. I started off with a dotted grid, and only using these dots, I created each suit by 'joining the dots'. For the back of the card, I started to combine these designs to create an abstract pattern. I intend to make the back quite intricate, so maybe 4 – 10 times the amount of overlaying that I have done here.

I would love any thoughts on what you guys think of the concept, and if the idea has any legs to develop into a full deck.

Thank you!

Re: Initial Design Concept
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:53:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello, Aiza, and welcome to the forum.

You're picking some well-trodden territory as far as a deck design goes.  I couldn't tell you how many minimal and geometric deck designs I've seen over the past five or so years, but there's been a LOT, I mean a HUGE number.

This doesn't mean you can't make such a deck yourself, if you want to - but if you want it to be a huge hit, it really needs to stand out from the rest of the decks that came before it.  It has to catch people's attention.  While the concept itself isn't new or original, you can work on finding some aspect of the concept that hasn't been tried before and leverage that into a design people will stop to notice.

I've said this a lot to new designers working on design themes that have been done several times before: everyone remembers the first deck they saw in some particular theme just like everyone remembers the first team to reach the peak of Mount Everest.  Practically no one remembers the twelfth team, the fifty-first team, the three-hundred-and-seventy-eighth team, etc.  So if you're leading team #379, you'd better find something about how you do it that make your ascent unique if you want the world at large to be interested in it.  Go para-gliding from the peak to the base camp, hold a Skype session with the President from the summit, do experiments on whether the stream from taking a leak will freeze before it hits the ground, do SOMETHING that makes your attempt both unique and interesting, because without some angle to make your ascent the first in some way, it's just another climb, even if it is Mount Everest - great for you, interesting for your family and circle of friends, but not many people beyond that will take notice.  Since we're talking about a deck design and not a torturous mountain expedition, you need people to take notice up front just to get it printed - so MAKE THEM TAKE NOTICE and make your design special in a way the others aren't or find a different theme and work on making that one unique and special.

Unique alone isn't enough.  It has to be GOOD and UNIQUE.  A baby will make something "unique" every time he or she fills a diaper - but I don't exactly see people lining up to get their "limited edition of one!"  If your art is stellar, that alone can be enough in some cases to get your work noticed and make people want it, because that will make it unique - if your art is simply "pretty good," you'll want something else to give it that leg-up, something people will want to see.  When it comes to geometric shapes, though, it's REALLY, REALLY DIFFICULT to make it stand out as great art.  If I ask five professional artists to draw a square for me, you're going to have five very similar looking objects, all very square-like.  If I ask those same five people to create in their medium of choice something such as a sunset, a portrait of the Queen of England or "anger," I'm going to have five very different objects by the time they're done.  This is where a simple, minimal, geometric design has difficulty standing out among a sea of simple, minimal, geometric designs...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/