You are Here:
Bitten by the Card-Bug

Author (Read 3457 times)

Bitten by the Card-Bug
« on: February 14, 2016, 02:37:09 AM »

Tayranno

Heya, my name's Taya and my card collecting came as a bit of a surprise to me.  I grew up playing poker, rummy, black jack, etc. at every family montage and camping trip, so cards have always been a fun and important part of my life.  But we've only ever had the standard rider back Bicycle cards typically found at Walmart.  Nothing pretty or special.  Me being very individualistic, I finally decided I needed some properly unique playing cards to show off at these gatherings.  I'm a fantasy/sci-fi/gamer chick and was honestly just looking for something cool and geeky, but what I found was so much more...  I had no clue what I was getting myself into.

And now I'm a total addict, guys.  I love unusual color combos and intricate designs, and anything with foil has an instant spot on my wish list.  I'm essentially building two collections at the moment; one of all the pretty cards/tuck boxes to display and admire, and another to create flashy flourishes and lurid poker games. ^^,

What's been so surprising about collecting cards is how perfectly it's kept my interest.  I've started collections of lots of different things, only to have my enjoyment fizzle out after a short period for one reason or another.  Cards have definitely entrapped me and are the only hobby to even compare with my Zoids collecting.  As my fiance will tell you, that's saying something!

Here's my Portfolio 52.  My collection is still modest as it's been only a few months, but I'm happy to say I've been able to pick up some of my absolute favorites (gilded Regals, Chancellor, and Suprema ;D).  My wish list is huge, though!

Anyways, there seems to be a ton of great information on these forums and I'm excited to meet fellow card-bug victims, though I am a bit shy at first.   I like to respect those already in the hobby by learning as much as I can about it before getting too involved, so if you have any good tips or things newbies should know, like lingo or unwritten rules, I'd be grateful if you'd share. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:12:59 AM by Tayranno »

Re: Bitten by the Card-Bug
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey, Tayranno - welcome to the party!

As far as unwritten rules...  First, there's no such thing as a bad question.  Try using the search feature first, but if you can't find it, ask.  We don't haze newbies because we were all new once.

Second, buy what you love!  Don't buy just because someone says you must, or because you got bitten by the "gotta-get-'em-all" bug.  You'll enjoy the hobby more when you're just buying those decks that really speak to you.  It's a luxury hobby and gets expensive if you aren't careful, but it's manageable if you're smart about it.

Caveat to the above - sometimes people do buy not what they love but what everyone else loves because they want to use it as "trading fodder" later on for getting what they DO love!  It can be a useful strategy.  Like, for instance, if a certain fantasy/sci-fi/gamer chick happened to get a few extra Chancellors and a certain message board admin wasn't fast enough to pick up his own...  :))

BTW: the Regals are a great deck - I consulted for the producers on that design.  I just wish they would have taken my advice about leaving the red suits red for all the decks; they would have made for some great poker sets!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:14:48 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 11:41:17 AM »

Tayranno

Thanks for the welcome, Don!  I'm definitely being picky about which decks to add to my collection.  I've learned to beat down the completionist impulse as it certainly tends to be a fun (and bank account) killer!

And the Regals are beautiful!  I really try to be frugal but there was no stopping myself once I saw there were still gilded decks available lol.  And I hear you about the custom pips, but I can't say I'm sad about them. ;)  I'm all about unique, yo.

I like this trading fodder idea. I didn't get any extra Chancellors, but a certain message board admin is still in luck cause there are some available at Rare Playing Cards! ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:43:36 AM by Tayranno »

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »

Scrambled Decks

• True Member

• Twitter:
Taya,

That's not a bad collection lol, how long have you been collecting?  I've been toying with buying extras for re-sale and/or trading but man the costs can really stack up @_@

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:34:32 PM »

Tayranno

Thanks, David. ^^  I started collecting in November I think, but a lot of my decks were purchased just this month since I had birthday money. :D  As much as I'd love to stock up on extras, I'm not in any position to do so either.  When did you start collecting?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:15:58 PM by Tayranno »

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 09:52:06 PM »

Scrambled Decks

• True Member

• Twitter:
About two years ago.  I just picked up some Ellusionist decks since I used to be into magic.  Back then, Black Tigers were like already blowing my mind so I figured I'd see what they had in store recently.  Then one thing led to another and I discovered the world of Kickstarter.  That's when the bottom of my wallet fell out....  :P

In case you're curious:
http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/595/images
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:52:46 PM by Scrambled Decks »

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 11:11:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the welcome, Don!  I'm definitely being picky about which decks to add to my collection.  I've learned to beat down the completionist impulse as it certainly tends to be a fun (and bank account) killer!

And the Regals are beautiful!  I really try to be frugal but there was no stopping myself once I saw there were still gilded decks available lol.  And I hear you about the custom pips, but I can't say I'm sad about them. ;)  I'm all about unique, yo.

I like this trading fodder idea. I didn't get any extra Chancellors, but a certain message board admin is still in luck cause there are some available at Rare Playing Cards! ;D

Lovely deck, but the price is a little out of my reach!  I rarely spend that much for a deck anymore.  It's where trading fodder comes in handy, or learning that a deck can be admired from afar if it's just too much money to own one.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »

Tayranno

About two years ago.  I just picked up some Ellusionist decks since I used to be into magic.  Back then, Black Tigers were like already blowing my mind so I figured I'd see what they had in store recently.  Then one thing led to another and I discovered the world of Kickstarter.  That's when the bottom of my wallet fell out....  :P

Haha!  Kickstarter has been the bane of my paycheck ever since I found it, too.  You have a nice collection!  Which deck would you personally say is best to for an amateur cardist?

Lovely deck, but the price is a little out of my reach!  I rarely spend that much for a deck anymore.  It's where trading fodder comes in handy, or learning that a deck can be admired from afar if it's just too much money to own one.

Very understandable.  The price is pretty off-putting, but it's so nice in person I have no regrets (plus the serial # is by birthday :D).  Just for my own curiosity, what are some examples of decks you'd offer in trade for a $50 deck like that?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:15:31 PM by Tayranno »

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 09:03:27 PM »

Scrambled Decks

• True Member

• Twitter:
I'm not necessarily the best person to ask about a good cardistry deck, heh.  I like to just look at the cards so I never really break-in any of my cards to the point where they would work well for cardistry.  However I will list some of the decks I have really enjoyed handling right out of the box (I tend to like softer stocks too):

Bumblebee (Ellusionist)
Sons of Liberty (Dan and Dave)
Monarchs (Theory11)
Union (Theory11)

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Which deck would you personally say is best to for an amateur cardist?

Hey there, welcome to the forum! I thought I would chime in and give my opinion haha, regular good ole Tally-Ho circle backs are what I use when I'm practicing up on my, well anything. They're extremely affordable as single decks or bricks, break in quickly and have a great style. They're my go to deck for initial learning when I may damage cards due to my lack of skill and fumble fingers.

Very nice collection you have started by the way.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:07:31 PM »

Tayranno

Thanks to you both for the suggestions!  I'm gonna give those all a try and see how I like 'em.

And thanks for the kind words, Fes!
P.S. How in the world do people put z's in your name?

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
As what Fes said, I also love the tally ho decks as they are cheap and readily available here in my country. They are also good cards to use as practice deck.  As for cardistry I would suggest a few decks such as the Virtuosos deck or Mirage deck.
Back for more

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Very understandable.  The price is pretty off-putting, but it's so nice in person I have no regrets lol (plus the serial # is by birthday :D).  Just for my own curiosity, what are some examples of decks you'd offer in trade for a $50 deck like that?

I've traded some good rarities in the past, especially when I had a healthy stock of Ellusionist Artifice Red, Ellusionist Gold Arcane, Ellusionist Black Ghost First Edition and Bicycle Clot Ltd. Edition.  I might have some of the BG1E and GAs left - might - but not any extra left of the rest.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 12:37:15 AM »

Tayranno

Thanks Hankman for your input.  I'll look those up as well. :)

And again, thanks for the info Don. ^^

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 04:19:41 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

They like to replace the s with a z for some reason haha. I don't know why, just the thing to do sometimes I guess.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »

Tayranno

Funny how people put things together in their heads.

They're already calling me "Tara." XP

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 12:35:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

They like to replace the s with a z for some reason haha. I don't know why, just the thing to do sometimes I guess.

It's because fez is a real word - a type of hat popularly worn in Morocco and certain other parts of that region of the world - while res is not in the dictionary, or at least is not as common a word if it is indeed a word.

Taya is not a common name.  Tara is very popular these days and has been for years in the Irish community.  I've known of a few pubs named Tara.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 12:53:53 PM »

Tayranno

Taya is not a common name.  Tara is very popular these days and has been for years in the Irish community.  I've known of a few pubs named Tara.

Oh yeah, I'm not surprised at all.  My full first name is all the more uncommon.  I'm beyond used to people getting my name wrong. XP
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:10:41 PM by Tayranno »

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 01:09:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Oh yeah, I'm not surprised at all, lol.  My full first name is all the more uncommon.  I'm beyond used to people getting my name wrong. XP

Don is hardly a rare name, but I couldn't tell you the number of times people around here have called me Dan.  It's right there on the screen and they still got it wrong!

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 04:10:22 PM »

Tayranno

It's right there on the screen and they still got it wrong!

Right!  It takes one second to double check spelling! XD

Edit: Thanks for fixing that, Don. ^^
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:15:56 PM by Tayranno »