You are Here:
Black Cat playing cards

Author (Read 2013 times)

Black Cat playing cards
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Hey guys! Im new on this! And I'm planning to release  a deck of cards but i care about your guy's opinion. This is the first look the one of my favorite projects so far, feel free to comment and say what you guys feel, im up for anything negative and positive :) at the end of the day if you guys dont like the design i will make the changes necessary to make this a deck that you guys will love and support. Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:41:41 PM by VplayingCardsCo »

Re: Black Cat playing cards photos
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

More pictures of the cards

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 05:38:38 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Back card

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I don't think EPCC makes their cards in the USA.... so you really can't put that on the box
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:48:13 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

This was only a mockup but thank you for letting me kmow that i wasn't aware :)

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I would be interested to see the diagonal lines on the back of the tuck also on the cards, it's noisy but I kind of like it. Are you mixing italian and French suits in one deck? Or thinking about making two decks?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

I grew up with the spanish playing cards and i always tought they were really original so i wanted to add something of that to this deck, and to answer your question is only one deck, and i like the idea of the lines on the back, definitely taking all in consideration,  i do appreciate

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I grew up with the spanish playing cards and i always tought they were really original so i wanted to add something of that to this deck, and to answer your question is only one deck, and i like the idea of the lines on the back, definitely taking all in consideration,  i do appreciate

I think mixing them suit to suit might be a bad idea, people want consistency and need usability, but if you want to incorporating both I might recommend using French suits for the indices under the card value, so poker players can still use them, and Spanish suits for the pips on the cards so we can appreciate the beautiful pips..?

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

I think that's a good idea, i dont wanna make a soup of designs and ideas so definitely something that im takimg notes on :)

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 06:33:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I don't think EPCC makes their cards in the USA.... so you really can't put that on the box

EPCC made a few decks in Shanghai, China, but all the rest - and all their current output - comes from Taipei, Taiwan.  Only the company offices are in the US.  However, if VPlayingCardsCo is in the US, he COULD say the deck was DESIGNED in the US and that would be an accurate claim.

I think mixing them suit to suit might be a bad idea, people want consistency and need usability, but if you want to incorporating both I might recommend using French suits for the indices under the card value, so poker players can still use them, and Spanish suits for the pips on the cards so we can appreciate the beautiful pips..?

This is an elegant solution.  He could take it a step further and use the Spanish pips in a set of indices on the "left-handed" corners, the upper-right and the lower-left.  I would further suggest finding ways to incorporate the two pip designs TOGETHER - coins that have diamonds on them, cups with hearts etched into them, wooden club with French-club shaped leaves or carvings, swords with a spade design either on the blade or in the handle...  Might look kind of badass...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Thank you Don this is really awesome! I definitely lile those ideas, I'm still not sure how to incorporate the pips just yet but im opem for some more references, i really planned this deck from outside to inside but always been a fan of fully customize decks, i want this to be for everyday use as in card collectors,  magicians, players etc but i think changing the hearts and clubs for the other shapes that could work too. Also the cool thing about this deck is that i will come with custom matches and yhr box side has the friccion stripe so people can use it as a matchbox as well

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 07:56:12 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
What is your idea behind the deck? Why cats and matches?

...i want this to be for everyday use as in card collectors,  magicians, players etc but i think changing the hearts and clubs for the other shapes that could work too...

If you want this to be an everyday use deck, especially in the larger markets, you are going to need to have the indices be French suits, while spades/hearts/diamonds/clubs isn't universal, it is by far and largely the most commong suiting on playing cards, and you will lose a lot of interest from people without them on there.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you Don this is really awesome! I definitely lile those ideas, I'm still not sure how to incorporate the pips just yet but im opem for some more references, i really planned this deck from outside to inside but always been a fan of fully customize decks, i want this to be for everyday use as in card collectors,  magicians, players etc but i think changing the hearts and clubs for the other shapes that could work too. Also the cool thing about this deck is that i will come with custom matches and yhr box side has the friccion stripe so people can use it as a matchbox as well

A few things...

You will NEVER make a fully-custom deck that is for everyday use of such a wide variety of groups, for the same reasons you don't use a drill to hammer a nail or a hacksaw to unscrew a bolt.  Different trades, different tools.

You will have a difficult time finding a manufacturer that will make you a custom tuck box that will also function as a matchbox - and when you do, the end result will be so phenomenally expensive, you'll never make any profit selling it - and you'll probably need a different company to supply the matches.  Worse, you will be restricting your potential audience because some locales place restrictions against minors buying matches or other ignition devices - never mind trying to get a pack on a plane.

I'm in agreement with Justin - if you want the broadest audience possible, you can indeed use my custom pip idea for incorporating the two designs, but the indices - at least the "right-handed" indices - should be International Standard pips.  That standard is not quite exactly the same as Parisian - the Parisian design is the same general shapes but a little different in the details.  I.S. would be more accurately referred to as the "Anglo-Rouen" design, which originated in Rouen, France, south of Paris and on the coast, and was exported to and copied by the English, and eventually the Americans.  The French considered the Rouen design inferior to the Parisian design, reserving Parisian for domestic decks while exporting the somewhat cruder Rouen - and just as what happened with Betamax tape, the more widely-distributed model overtook the "better" model to become the standard after some refinements were made over time.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:44:57 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Thank you guys for all this great ideas, currently im working on them, all those ideas were already an option at one point just wanted to see what the audience wanted. And youre rigjt Don i dont think i can make a deck for everyone and you gave a good example so thank you. I do wanna make a deck that people can use and at the same time added to a collection.

About the manufacturer that makes the matches and makes the boxes is all ready and price is pretty much the same is obviously by a third party. I get the box with uspcc then i get the stripes with the othrr company and they add the stripe to the boxes and the matches are purchase with anoher company price is not much diferent but now that you mention about the restrictions i think you're completely right and i think i will avoid those problems. Thank you again for all the information, is been really useful.

Black Cat playing cards
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 08:06:42 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Hey guys! Im new on this! And I'm planning to lunch a deck of cards but i care about your guy's opinion. This is the first look the one of my favorite projects so far, feel free to comment and say what you guys feel, im up for anything negative and positive :) at the end of the day if you guys dont like the design i will make the changes necessary to make this a deck that you guys will love and support. Thank you for your time.

Re: Black Cat playing cards
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys! Im new on this! And I'm planning to lunch a deck of cards but i care about your guy's opinion. This is the first look the one of my favorite projects so far, feel free to comment and say what you guys feel, im up for anything negative and positive :) at the end of the day if you guys dont like the design i will make the changes necessary to make this a deck that you guys will love and support. Thank you for your time.

It's not really a first look, though - you've created a topic with something similar to this title before.  I've merged the two of them.  Please keep your deck to a single title.  In fact, I'm moving this to Design/Dev as well, since it's in the design stage still and not in release or on KS yet.

BTW: this photo isn't yet a deck - it's just a tuck box.  Show the deck if you want feedback.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:46:10 PM by Don Boyer »

Re: Black Cat playing cards
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 09:43:51 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Thank you Don. Still getting the hang of it. Much appreciated.  This packaging is bot for the previous deck is just another product.