You are Here:
Thread page numbers

Author (Read 1731 times)

Thread page numbers
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
I noticed that when using the 'Show unread posts since last visit' function, most threads have an 'all' link to see all the thread's pages on one page, however some threads don't have this link. I believe it's the same within the thread itself. Is this intentional or is it a bug?
Oh, Lawd!

Re: Thread page numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:08 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I noticed some with alot of posts dont have it, probably to not overload the page or something.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeah, we have some topics here with an insane amount of posts.  When there's a good number of pages, the system won't give you the option to load them all because it would take a longer and longer time with each new post.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:44:19 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
As stated, there is a limit to what threads can have the "All" function. It's instated to prevent overloading pages with threads that have, for example, 400 replies.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
As stated, there is a limit to what threads can have the "All" function. It's instated to prevent overloading pages with threads that have, for example, 400 replies.

Smart. Can you just imagine loading all 800+ replies on the DISCOURSE DECK thread? That would be hell.
LoL
To be honest I really love the ALL function because it allows me to get up to speed with most of the threads and discussions I've missed.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:

Smart. Can you just imagine loading all 800+ replies on the DISCOURSE DECK thread? That would be hell.
LoL
To be honest I really love the ALL function because it allows me to get up to speed with most of the threads and discussions I've missed.
I personally would still like an ALL function on ALL threads, even if it means having to wait 10 minutes for it to load. For the discourse deck thread, I often have to look back to find some old info. I can do "command-f" to search for a word or phrase, but I have to do it individually for each and every one of the 40-so pages. And that sucks big time :P As long as it's not too hard on your servers, I think an "ALL" button on all threads would be great.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
@nathan -  I take it you have very minimal knowledge on how "webstuff" works. I would never want to wait 10 minutes. Some of us are actually busy. Fast loading times are a luxury and necessity for us who don't hang out infront of the computer/ipad/whatevers the whole day. We have lives too.

If I wanted to view all the replies on the discourse deck. i load up 3-4 pages simultaneously... when done with reading page 1 I click on page 5 and go on to read page 2, after finishing page 2 I click on page 6 then move on to read page 3. Did I make sense?

so yeah

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
@nathan -  I take it you have very minimal knowledge on how "webstuff" works. I would never want to wait 10 minutes. Some of us are actually busy. Fast loading times are a luxury and necessity for us who don't hang out infront of the computer/ipad/whatevers the whole day. We have lives too.

If I wanted to view all the replies on the discourse deck. i load up 3-4 pages simultaneously... when done with reading page 1 I click on page 5 and go on to read page 2, after finishing page 2 I click on page 6 then move on to read page 3. Did I make sense?

so yeah
I understand that. but here's what I thought:
1) I don't want to have to open 50 tabs for each page for the Discourse deck thread
2) It takes about 2 secs a page. 50*2=100. 100/60 (60 seconds in a minute) = 1.6666 repeating. So max 2 minutes to load.
3) If it doesn't bother any one else or the servers, why can't I wait 2 minutes and be able to see all the pages?
It did make sense :D I was just thinking my idea would open possibilities to those who want them. :P

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:44:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

so yeah
[/color]
I understand that. but here's what I thought:1) I don't want to have to open 50 tabs for each page for the Discourse deck thread2) It takes about 2 secs a page. 50*2=100. 100/60 (60 seconds in a minute) = 1.6666 repeating. So max 2 minutes to load.3) If it doesn't bother any one else or the servers, why can't I wait 2 minutes and be able to see all the pages?It did make sense :D  I was just thinking my idea would open possibilities to those who want them. :P
Formatting a page like that and waiting for the download may sound great to you, but let me ask you - do you honestly have THAT MUCH TIME that you want to open all of the pages and see all of the replies in that topic?  Haven't you read most of them at some point or another, if not all of them?  Is it really that much of a pain to search the topic - since there IS a search function built into the Discourse that will handle the gruntwork of finding a particular keyword or two just fine?For you, pages may load really fast.  But there are times when the pages are slow as hell, and if several people made ALL requests at the same time on huge-ass topics with hundreds of replies, the entire Discourse would drag down and maybe even shut down with the traffic.  There are other ways to do a DDOS attack, but why make it so easy a caveman could do it?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/