You are Here:
Badge Completion Idea

Author (Read 2508 times)

Badge Completion Idea
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I thought that maybe on our badges, if they are incomplete, if we move our mouse over one of them, say the 50 posts in 24 hrs badge, it would be cool to see our progress (i.e. 85% complete, or 23 posts left, or 244% complete).

Re: Badge Completion Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I think it might be hard to implement. It sounds easy, just to put a percentage completion, but I'm sure the process is troublesome. Equations would have to be programmed, and links to each badge. It's just too much work for now. Let's just get them fully functioning first, then we could make improvements. Remember everything is still in beta stage, V2 isn't operating to the public yet.

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I think it might be hard to implement. It sounds easy, just to put a percentage completion, but I'm sure the process is troublesome. Equations would have to be programmed, and links to each badge. It's just too much work for now. Let's just get them fully functioning first, then we could make improvements. Remember everything is still in beta stage, V2 isn't operating to the public yet.
Ya, I get you. It was just a hypothetical question.

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:27 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That could be pretty cool but it also would be a little time consuming to program. On top of that the posting and whatnot is about the conversation and keeping the Discourse awesome not just earning badges. Let the badges come to you ;)
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:09:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That could be pretty cool but it also would be a little time consuming to program. On top of that the posting and whatnot is about the conversation and keeping the Discourse awesome not just earning badges. Let the badges come to you ;)

While I don't think it would be very difficult to program at all, I still agree with BB here.  This is "The Discourse", not "Gaming the Badges"...  Your words speak for you a lot louder than any badge or Fame rating ever could.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

While I don't think it would be very difficult to program at all, I still agree with BB here.  This is "The Discourse", not "Gaming the Badges"...  Your words speak for you a lot louder than any badge or Fame rating ever could.
I remember when I was still a kid and I thought everything was about competition and getting people's attention all the time, only to find out later on in life that I was acting like a complete idiot and nobody really liked silly things like that.

I honestly don't want to have a badge competition because I don't want to just keep posting and posting nonsensical replies just to get my post counts. i honestly hate.... ABHOR messy forums. ^_^

So i agree with both BB and Don on this one. This is the Discourse not Fame and Badge forum ^_^

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
it would be cool but like everyone said it is better to focus on posting quality. But that is a neat idea.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
I think the idea is good, and that the fact that trying to complete the badges would create cluttered forums is a reflection of the badges themselves and not the people who enjoy achieving them. Most of the badges are about quantative milestones rather than qualitative ones. Perhaps badges about 'use the spell check function in 75% of your posts' would create a more pleasant experience to read!
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I think the idea is good, and that the fact that trying to complete the badges would create cluttered forums is a reflection of the badges themselves and not the people who enjoy achieving them. Most of the badges are about quantative milestones rather than qualitative ones. Perhaps badges about 'use the spell check function in 75% of your posts' would create a more pleasant experience to read!

Quantitative badge programming = possible. Qualitative = impossible.

The Fame system isn't functional yet - all your Fame badges will be gone sooner or later, and at that point there will be some legitimate qualatative badges in there.

As for the % completion thing, I'm not in favor of it. The badges are supposed to be a little surprise after a lot of hard work, not something that you mindlessly strive towards. The badges are there to show the community what you've done over a long period of time.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member

The Fame system isn't functional yet - all your Fame badges will be gone sooner or later, and at that point there will be some legitimate qualatative badges in there.

As for the % completion thing, I'm not in favor of it. The badges are supposed to be a little surprise after a lot of hard work, not something that you mindlessly strive towards. The badges are there to show the community what you've done over a long period of time.

Perhaps then, if it isn't already going to be in place, when you receive a badge also receive a little injection of Fame? Not enough that it creates an imbalance - Fame should be mostly an indicator of other people's opinons about your contributions - but enough that it gives you something tangible back in return for the hard work and to sweeten the surprise. I mean, you get Fame for simple things like adding a signature or posting in Lol-A-Query which is great for little Easter egg surprises. But each badge could give an amount of Fame relative to the difficulty of the badge.

Sorry if that has been suggested and is too much of a tangent from this thread.

EDIT - I just noticed that I have received the 'upfame/downfame people and posts 125x within 24 hours' and not the 'upfame/downfame people and posts 25x within 24 hours'. I would have thought you need to receive the latter before the former? Just to point out if it's a bug.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:39:42 PM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Well, there goes an idea gone to the trash. I think you are right though.