You are Here:
Whispering imps black edition

Author (Read 3827 times)

Whispering imps black edition
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: Whispering imps black edition
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I like having the photos on board rather than links - links have a tendency to break.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Don you mean like your own broken image link?  hehehehe

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
Like this?

or this?

More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Damn those Imps, add another one to the list. One of my favorite decks.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I tried to get this image. Could not figure out how. :mindf-ck:
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
1. right click

2. view source

3. search page for any .jpg files

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
from Chris Chelko

One year ago I launched a Kickstarter to produce the Whispering Imps playing cards and to celebrate, the "Black Editions" will be available for Pre-Order TOMORROW - June 1, 2014.

New Playing Card Features:
    •    Thinner Borders
    •    Recolored Court Cards (enhanced with Metallic Silver inks)
    •    Ace of Spades enhanced for the “Black Edition”
    •    Double Backer
    •    NEW Gaff Card (with new reveals)
    •    Recolored Jokers (Imp Red & Metallic Silver)

New Tuck Box Features:
The “Black Edition” tuck combines elements from both Original & Special Edition Tuck Boxes.  It looks similar to the Original tuck, but is fabricated using the same Red Starfire Vellum that the Special Edition used.  It has specially printed graphics, artwork and patterns on the inside and is finished with a beautiful embossing on the outside.  Perhaps the most unique thing about this new tuck is the glossy all-black foil exterior.  According to the USPCC, this is the first time foil has been the used this way. The negative space in the foil exposes the red vellum through the black foil, thus creating the artwork on the tuck. 

Beginning Sunday, June 1st at 9am (PDT), the “Black Edition” Whispering Imps will be available for pre-order at a discounted price of $10.50 until June 6th.  This is the best opportunity to stock up on this limited run of cards.  On June 7th, they will be available at the regular retail price of $12.50.

These decks are printed and in the process of being packaged and shipped to Los Angeles where I will fulfill your orders.  Anticipated fulfillment date: June 25, 2014

MORE INFORMATION & PHOTOS AT: www.WhisperingImps.com

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 01:25:52 AM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thanks for the post about the launch tomorrow!!  I'm excited to bring to all of you the "Black Edition".  To me, it's not just a re-color, it's the perfect pairing to the Original & Special Editions. 

I've received some emails asking if I'll print them in any other colors...the answer is no.  I only ever intended this design to be printed in Red & Black. 

I hope you all enjoy this latest edition and look forward to the upcoming "v2" & "v3" (both brand new designs) coming up later this year. 

As always, thank you for your support & enthusiasm! 

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 06:51:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the post about the launch tomorrow!!  I'm excited to bring to all of you the "Black Edition".  To me, it's not just a re-color, it's the perfect pairing to the Original & Special Editions. 

I've received some emails asking if I'll print them in any other colors...the answer is no.  I only ever intended this design to be printed in Red & Black. 

I hope you all enjoy this latest edition and look forward to the upcoming "v2" & "v3" (both brand new designs) coming up later this year. 

As always, thank you for your support & enthusiasm!

It all sounds great.

In another topic, you mentioned that "v2" is a placeholder name and that it will be printed with EPCC.  Is it safe to assume that "v3" is also a placeholder name and that it, too, will be printed by EPCC?

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
my black deck shipped today !!!  :D putting up my tent at the mail box!

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Had 50 uncut sheets pulled from the press for this edition, they are now available in the store for those collectors who might be interested. Just thought I'd share that information with all of you.

As always, many thanks for your support of the Whispering Imps,

-chris

http://whisperingimps.com/collections/art-wall-decor/products/whispering-imps-black-edition-uncut-sheet

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:01 AM »

BenMorrisRains

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/htgrofficial
I really dig these and hope to put in an order soon. Any chance of a Back Design poster in black?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:26:34 AM by BenMorrisRains »

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
Edit: problem solved. Chris responded very promptly and offered to replace the deck.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:06:36 AM by doubledouble »

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just received a brick of these because of the private reserve promotion. I had previously bought some but hadn't opened any yet, so decided to crack one open. I immediately realized the registration was off on all the cards..."okay, maybe it's a magic thing" I thought, maybe I missed reading about it in the promotional material. Then I turned the deck over and realized the backs were all off too...this was when I realized how crazy off the registration was on the entire deck. This isn't what the deck is supposed to look like, right? Essentially I have a deck that has one way faces AND backs...I can barely play card games with this, let alone any tricks. I'm really afraid the other decks in my brick or even the older ones I have look the same...I would have thought this deck was Q1 quality? Can anyone else with this deck confirm if the registration on their cards looks like this?

http://i.imgur.com/a6qTxRO.jpg?1

It's a problem with USPC decks at times.  They normally focus on good-enough registration on the backs, so the fronts are rarely perfectly centered.  But occasionally, someone isn't watching the printer closely enough and that vaunted Q1-level quality control doesn't mean a blasted thing - you end up with poorly-registered backs as well.  Might as well have had the three blind mice running the press.

In such a circumstance, you'd have to reach out to Chris.  If he get enough returns on them, he would in turn be contact USPC about the sub-par work.  Contacting USPC directly about an issue on any deck they printed but didn't produce would be as useful as trying to stay warm by rubbing two ice cubes together.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:08:27 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Just received a brick of these because of the private reserve promotion. I had previously bought some but hadn't opened any yet, so decided to crack one open. I immediately realized the registration was off on all the cards..."okay, maybe it's a magic thing" I thought, maybe I missed reading about it in the promotional material. Then I turned the deck over and realized the backs were all off too...this was when I realized how crazy off the registration was on the entire deck. This isn't what the deck is supposed to look like, right? Essentially I have a deck that has one way faces AND backs...I can barely play card games with this, let alone any tricks. I'm really afraid the other decks in my brick or even the older ones I have look the same...I would have thought this deck was Q1 quality? Can anyone else with this deck confirm if the registration on their cards looks like this?

http://i.imgur.com/a6qTxRO.jpg?1

Thank you Don for responding.  Yes, I addressed and resolved the issue 2 minutes after I received the email.

Unfortunately it's very common for a small batch of cards from the USPCC to have registration issues...i've seen registration problems in at least a dozen of the open decks in my personal collection from nearly all the big playing card companies.  From the information I have received, less than 1% of the 5,000 Black Edition decks printed have had major registration issues and those decks have all been successfully replaced. 

Rest assured everyone....this is not an issue with the entire run of Black Edition Whispering Imps.   You will find greater registration issues the thinner the borders are on cards from USPCC...unfortunately until their calibration is perfect every time...thin border decks will have more problems than a standard border (basically, thinner the border...the less room to hide registration errors). 

The Private Reserves on the other hand have perfect registration.  This was accomplished through the meticulous work from the EPCC. 

Thank you to all those who supported the Whispering Imps during the Halloween sale (and as always, from any support previously).  I do my best to produce some of the finest playing cards and quality customer service that one man can provide.  I look forward to sharing with all of you an update in the next week or so about the newest deck soon to join the Whispering Imps family, the Gamesters.

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I would kind of like to receive a deck with registration issues. I like the "rarity" value of this. I think this is from my knowledge of stamps. If there is a misprint on a stamp the value of it is so much higher.
I know playing cards and stamps are different entities, and I would ask for a replacement too. Just thought it should be noted how "rare" a misprint is.

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 01:43:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thank you Don for responding.  Yes, I addressed and resolved the issue 2 minutes after I received the email.

Now THAT'S what I call customer service!

The Private Reserves on the other hand have perfect registration.  This was accomplished through the meticulous work from the EPCC. 

They seem to be on the money every time, EPCC and LPCC, when it comes to registration.  I'm still scratching my head and wondering what the heck USPC is doing wrong - after 133 years of printing playing cards, they haven't solved their registration issues, while the printer Expert and Legends share probably has only been around for a fraction of that length of time and they always get it right.  USPC can't even use the excuse of the equipment being old and worn - they opened a brand new facility in 2009.

I would kind of like to receive a deck with registration issues. I like the "rarity" value of this. I think this is from my knowledge of stamps. If there is a misprint on a stamp the value of it is so much higher.
I know playing cards and stamps are different entities, and I would ask for a replacement too. Just thought it should be noted how "rare" a misprint is.

There are some collectors like you, Rose, who place a premium value on a misprinted or incorrectly assembled pack of cards.  Sometimes the misprints are so bad, the results may actually be useful as gaff cards!  But a much-larger number of collectors want their decks perfect and pristine.  They driver dealers nuts at times because of how persnickety they can be over the slightest of faults, like a nearly-invisible dent on the tuck box or loose cellophane.

Mind you, many of these decks will rarely if ever see the light of day again, tucked away deep in someone's hidey-hole for their stash...you'd think some collectors were stocking up for the nuclear winter or the zombie apocalypse...  :))
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:43:10 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

There are some collectors like you, Rose, who place a premium value on a misprinted or incorrectly assembled pack of cards.  Sometimes the misprints are so bad, the results may actually be useful as gaff cards!  But a much-larger number of collectors want their decks perfect and pristine.  They driver dealers nuts at times because of how persnickety they can be over the slightest of faults, like a nearly-invisible dent on the tuck box or loose cellophane.

Mind you, many of these decks will rarely if ever see the light of day again, tucked away deep in someone's hidey-hole for their stash...you'd think some collectors were stocking up for the nuclear winter or the zombie apocalypse...  :))

I would say only misprints that are extremely bad would be more of a collectible, say misaligned so badly the indices are missing, or as Don say, it could be used as gaff cards.

Those that were posted here, though obvious, would still be considered a minor error to me. I have my decks coming in. If i have any with registration issues, i can always send you one if you want.