Bicycle Grungeland

Author (Read 4716 times)

Bicycle Grungeland
« on: October 28, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
New deck from Brooke Michael's Poker World.  Found out about it through email.  Looks like a decent deck with a terrible name.  I'm not likely to back it - I'm personally getting a little tired of "aged look" decks.  Oh, and I'm not buying new decks anymore!  :))

This our own brand new custom deck. We are now live on Kickstarter for you to pledge. Simply click on the lick below to pledge for this deck:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1036370092/bicycle-grungeland-playing-cards
This is how their life may have been in an alternate universe. Instead of bright and cheerful, it might have been dreary and bleak.

Bicycle Grungeland Playing Cards were inspired by Lewis Carroll and are printed by USPCC.

Inspired by the works of Lewis Carroll, this is our version of what life would have been like in an alternate universe for these beloved figures. A much darker and drearier place unfolds and is brought to life only by the bold colors of our characters.

Bicycle Branded & Printed by USPCC
Completely customized deck including: The court cards, jokers, aces, faces and back design.
Custom Tuck Box
Custom Seal
Air-Cushion Finish
Traditional Bicycle Stock
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:59:08 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Bicycle Grungeland
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Hmmm the deck does look pretty decent, I don't get the description though "a much darker and drearier place unfolds" - there's nothing dark or dreary about this (not that I can see anyway).
I'm not a fan of BMPW. I'll be sticking to my principles and not be backing the deck but I wish him the best.

SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I agree with Don that the name kind of sucks... makes me think of zombieland rather than wonderland. Deck looks decent though, nothing to trade your first born for.... but better than a lot of others. The gaff looks kind of interesting, can't really think of how to use it though. I'll stay away from this one but wish them success.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Lazy, lazy, LAZY!

Come on, really? It's just a bunch of ripped and photoshopped artwork from the original Alice in Wonderland books. Smack on a color filter and add a border courtesy of Google images, and bam! This deck.

Now, the original artist is long dead, and copyrights are lost to the ages (well, they never existed), but that still doesn't mean this is a passable deck.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:33:06 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Well that is disappointing..... It's still an ok looking deck, just loses it's uniqueness once you see those photos.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:51:05 PM by Curt »

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:48:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Lazy, lazy, LAZY!

Come on, really? It's just a bunch of ripped and photoshopped artwork from the original Alice in Wonderland books. Smack on a color filter and add a border courtesy of Google images, and bam! This deck.

Now, the original artist is long dead, and copyrights are lost to the ages (well, they never existed), but that still doesn't mean this is a passable deck.

What - I thought you guys recognized the art already.  I knew they were the original book images when I first saw them.  Copyright did exist back then, but in the US, anything created before 1923 is no longer protected.  For newer works, it varies due to the multiple changes in copyright law that have been pushed through Congress by lobbyists paid by media companies to protect their intellectual property.

At least he's not claiming it's his own work from his own hand, unlike SOME decks we could name...  :))  He's just not giving attribution to the original artist, Sir John Tenniel.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 05:35:37 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
From an artistic point of view, i find this deck very unaesthetic. I have to admit, i roam on UC once in a while and saw when BMPoker posted this. I find it hilarious that everyone holds back from saying how terrible the execution is and instead choose to praise how "small the pips are" and how "it's very unique!". If this was created by anyone else, i wouldnt be surprised to see a very different response.

I do, however, like the Ace of Spades. But, that's about it. In the heavily competitive market right now on Kickstarter, there are many, many better alternatives. I highly doubt this will fund. I mean no disrespect and wish the respective creators/designers all the best.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:47:47 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
From an artistic point of view, i find this deck very unaesthetic. I have to admit, i roam on UC once in a while and saw when BMPoker posted this. I find it hilarious that everyone holds back from saying how terrible the execution is and instead choose to praise how "small the pips are" and how "it's very unique!". If this was created by anyone else, i wouldnt be surprised to see a very different response.

I do, however, like the Ace of Spades. But, that's about it. In the heavily competitive market right now on Kickstarter, there are many, many better alternatives. I highly doubt this will fund. I mean no disrespect and wish the respective creators/designers all the best.

I've always tried to keep myself away from the UC vs AC nonsense, but the reality is whilst you're entitled to your opinions about the forum, etc - a quick read of the thread on UC looks like most are saying what they think to me - there's definitely some criticism in a few replies.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:53:07 AM by JPMiddleton »
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
I've always tried to keep myself away from the UC vs AC nonsense, but the reality is whilst you're entitled to your opinions about the forum, etc - a quick read of the thread on UC looks like most are saying what they think to me - there's definitely some criticism in a few replies.

I've kept all personal shenanigans within me and out of my previous reply. Frankly, if it was a good, well rounded deck; I would praise it, like I have with many decks that i find attractive. Personally, I think that while the comments definitely have some criticism (and do not demonstrate total nut-hugging), it's evident that the forum users are being quite careful with their comments, and try to look for the little things rather than stab at the elephant in the room. Bluntly put, i think this deck, along with the UC deck (I love Randy's work on the Imperial and Luxuries) are total garbage. But what do i know, right?

Let's keep it real guys. Love to hear other people's opinions from an objective, non-biased point of view. Again, no disrespect intended whatsoever.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I reckon this will eventually get funded, mainly because of the success of the white rabbit deck. I know there's no connection between the two "project managers" (I did want to say designers, but this deck isn't an original design whatsoever) but I reckon it'll succeed based on the fact that white rabbit succeeded.

It is disappointing to see that no credit is given to the actual illustrator. This will lead some people (if not a majority) to believe it's his own work, even if he technically hasn't said it is.

It's not the worst looking deck, it's not the greatest either.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's not even "UC vs. AC" anymore.  In the near future, the entire site will be moved to playingcardforum.com and the current address will be changed into a redirect while people adjust.  Alex sometimes refers to this place as the PCF, while I often call it the Discourse - it rolls off the tongue better, doesn't it?  :))

But yeah, the attacks on each other and all that nonsense is pretty tired by now.  As I see it, there's no reason why both boards can't coexist, and no reason why people can't be members of both, as they please.  Live and let live, right?

Let's keep it real guys. Love to hear other people's opinions from an objective, non-biased point of view. Again, no disrespect intended whatsoever.

I have no bias.  I thought that, for what it is, it isn't that bad.  It's really just not to my liking.  Is it the most original design ever made?  No, but that can be said about a lot of decks - I'd call this one of the better ones of that lot.  Does it have some appeal?  Sure.  But aged-look decks have flooded the market, and there's been more than a few Alice in Wonderland decks.  I applaud the attempt to breathe life into both by combining the two styles, but I'm not so convinced he pulled it off here.  The name is really not good at all.  This paragraph also just doesn't ring true:

Inspired by the works of Lewis Carroll, this is our version of what life would have been like in an alternate universe for these beloved figures. A much darker and drearier place unfolds and is brought to life only by the bold colors of our characters.

Darker and drearier?  By putting it on dirty-and-aged-look paper?  Not really, no.  It's the same art that was in the original book - how does that represent "an alternate universe"?

He's really just overselling it.  A less-hyperbolic description would help this deck.  The small indices are nice - I'm a sucker for the old-school look - and the detailed framework on the faces is nice.  Now if only those photos were all properly converted to RGB...  Some appear to have been CMYK in a previous life and didn't make the transition well, 'cause in my browser, on two different computers, they look like negatives.  I can't really see what the tuck box or the deck back look like.

In summation - it's not the world's greatest deck, but it's far from the worst.  If aged-look decks and Alice in Wonderland both appeal to you (and you can put up with the name), this would be a good deck for you.

Hey, a thought just occurred to me...  This was the guy who railed heavy and hard against the Persian Empire deck for its lack of original art, and it, too, was an aged look deck.  Aside from his lack of claims to the authorship of the art, these two decks are exceptionally similar to each other...  :))

I reckon this will eventually get funded, mainly because of the success of the white rabbit deck. I know there's no connection between the two "project managers" (I did want to say designers, but this deck isn't an original design whatsoever) but I reckon it'll succeed based on the fact that white rabbit succeeded.

Actually, market saturation is more of a reason for a deck to FAIL, not succeed.  Though the continued onslaught of both Cthulhu and steampunk decks would seem to say otherwise...

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:54 AM »

Sovereign

• True Member
I find it remarkable that they would use the word 'dreary' in their marketing - remember it means "depressingly dull and bleak or repetitive". Great, just what you want customers to think.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 09:45:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I find it remarkable that they would use the word 'dreary' in their marketing - remember it means "depressingly dull and bleak or repetitive". Great, just what you want customers to think.

Remember, there are some Goths who might find the deck oh-so-appealing if you call it "dreary"...  :))

Funny thing is - it's really NOT dreary at all!  Just artificially aged...

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Darker and drearier?  By putting it on dirty-and-aged-look paper?  Not really, no.  It's the same art that was in the original book - how does that represent "an alternate universe"?

You covered my "Huh" moment right there Don. But I wish them luck with it.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 02:07:45 AM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Is that Courtney Love on the box?

The KoH kinda looks like Kurt Cobain.

Nevermind. I think a more fitting name for this deck would be Alice In Chains.

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 03:05:32 AM »

Phegget

I think a more fitting name for this deck would be Alice In Rape Dungeon.
uwotm8.

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 06:46:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Funny you'd say that - it's the original art from the book when it was first published.  Now "Alice in Chains" - Alice in Wonderland meets bondage gear...THAT would be an interesting deck to see!  :))

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Why bother?

In his first run, he only sent out 1 update, and didn't even have any incentives/stretch goals.
He has no idea how to run a successful KS campaign.

CBJ

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Why bother?

In his first run, he only sent out 1 update, and didn't even have any incentives/stretch goals.
He has no idea how to run a successful KS campaign.

CBJ

Have to agree with you here.  I had initially backed it but cancelled my pledge a few days later after looking it over a bit more and realizing he wasn't going to take anyone's input on what needed to be changed, like removing the ketchup looking "blood" splatters.  Nothing really popped out and made me want to own the deck.  Good luck to him on his second go around, but I won't even be considering backing the deck. 

As a side note, I do love small indices / pips.  Much prefer them to standard font and I downright despise jumbo print decks.  And believe when giving feedback, both good & bad items should be pointed out, no matter how small (pun intended).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:36:54 PM by chach »
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Pass...Pass   Pass   next

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 12:26:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It looks a little different, but not enough.  Same original book art, same terrible name, no prizes beyond the deck itself, an uncut and one of his acrylic display cases.

There's more I could say, but I'll simply leave it at "This has little chance of succeeding, because he seems to be doing a very effective job of alienating his potential backers."

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 01:18:49 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Funny you'd say that - it's the original art from the book when it was first published.  Now "Alice in Chains" - Alice in Wonderland meets bondage gear...THAT would be an interesting deck to see!  :))

The art looks like it is based on original art from the book but Vectoria Designs own the current design of that deck

http://www.etsy.com/listing/114665540/grunge-alice-in-wonderland-playing-cards

I think if I remember Mike bought the art or something.  Anyway moving on

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 03:41:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The art looks like it is based on original art from the book but Vectoria Designs own the current design of that deck

http://www.etsy.com/listing/114665540/grunge-alice-in-wonderland-playing-cards

I think if I remember Mike bought the art or something.  Anyway moving on

This, coming from the guy who raked the creator of the Persian Empire decks over the coals for using someone else's art and not giving any credit to the artist?  The man who invested one dollar in his deck just for the privilege of being able to hound him on his project pages in front of his investors?  P'shaw...

I'm thinking of a word...nine letters...begins with "h", ends with "e"...has a "ypocrit" in the middle...

Though, to be fair, at least he didn't try mocking up a "drawing session" video consisting of him tracing one of the designs in pencil WHILE ON A CARPET...

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
It would be great to hear from Mike regarding the story behind this deck… Did he indeed buy the rights to the art? I'm surprised that he hasn't made a statement in support of his deck… Also kudos to CBJ for speaking his mind even though he runs UC…