You are Here:
Cardini change vs ego change?

Author (Read 1340 times)

Cardini change vs ego change?
« on: December 27, 2012, 08:28:42 PM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
What's the difference between the cardini and the ego change? Just curious is all.

I was "passed down" the "Coffin Change" by my magic instructor about three years ago and when I started doing it on my vids everyone referred to it as a Cardini or ego change.

My teacher said the coffin change is a Hoffman's move but I honestly don't think so. He's been wrong a couple of times regarding sources but he knows his stuff... he once referred my le paul spread as the "Hoffman's hand to hand Spread"

They all look the same and end the same but I'm guessing the method is the main difference?
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

Re: Cardini change vs ego change?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:54:44 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I've always been confused by the two also and have heard them used interchangeably. But I know Daniel Garcia created the ego change and the Cardini is older.
The Coffin Change is different though. The Cardini and the Ego pull the top card off by pressing down with the pinky while the Coffin clips the card between the pinky (underneath) and the ring (above) and then pulls.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:

The Coffin Change is different though. The Cardini and the Ego pull the top card off by pressing down with the pinky while the Coffin clips the card between the pinky (underneath) and the ring (above) and then pulls.

Ohhh... Yeah the Coffin Change is definitely different than both Cardini and Ego. I was taught the Coffin Change wrong for sure.

Now the real mystery... what's the difference between Ego and the Cardini change? If they're the same then I guess the mystery is why are there different names for it?
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Ohhh... Yeah the Coffin Change is definitely different than both Cardini and Ego. I was taught the Coffin Change wrong for sure.

Now the real mystery... what's the difference between Ego and the Cardini change? If they're the same then I guess the mystery is why are there different names for it?

Tricks change names over time.  The Invisible Deck wasn't always called by that name - it was originally the "Ultra Mental Deck" by Joe Berg.  The name changed when Eddie Field and Don Alan altered the presentation to the classic "Invisible Deck" trick know today.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »

PlayingKards

So is the cardini and ego change the same or not?

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »

ibrahimjaber

• Paranoid Polly
Both changes are the same
just different ways of moving the cover hand and the way of waving
Remember guys : The name isn't important it's all about MAGIC
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:50:15 PM by ibrahimjaber »

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:10:49 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I've wondered this same thing myself. I always referred to it as the coffin change or the Cardini change, Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ray Kosby used this change quite a bit. I remember my friends and i watching his VHS tapes and loving the change. I never understood when credit for this change shifted to Daniel Garcia. I always thought it was basically the same move with different cover....then again though people now are so quick to scoop up claim and not properly research it doesn't surprise me the truth is a bit in the gray. No offense intended to anyone in particular just making a general statement.

ibrahimjaber : I don't mean to offend you at all, but to me the name isn't important but the credit is. If we forget who created these moves then their contributions to our art is lost and therefore any future magician wanting to learn may not stumble onto a piece of lost magic tucked away in a book somewhere while their trying to reaserch a sleight because they were told it was Daniel Garcia's ego change and not the cardini change. Our art grows as we build on the magicians before us...not reinvent the wheel. Again i mean no disrespect, just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:17:15 AM by S.C. »

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »

ibrahimjaber

• Paranoid Polly
I've wondered this same thing myself. I always referred to it as the coffin change or the Cardini change, Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ray Kosby used this change quite a bit. I remember my friends and i watching his VHS tapes and loving the change. I never understood when credit for this change shifted to Daniel Garcia. I always thought it was basically the same move with different cover....then again though people now are so quick to scoop up claim and not properly research it doesn't surprise me the truth is a bit in the gray. No offense intended to anyone in particular just making a general statement.

ibrahimjaber : I don't mean to offend you at all, but to me the name isn't important but the credit is. If we forget who created these moves then their contributions to our art is lost and therefore any future magician wanting to learn may not stumble onto a piece of lost magic tucked away in a book somewhere while their trying to reaserch a sleight because they were told it was Daniel Garcia's ego change and not the cardini change. Our art grows as we build on the magicians before us...not reinvent the wheel. Again i mean no disrespect, just my thoughts.

I respect your opinion & I agree with you
what I meant is that WE magicians should focus on effects because Spectators may never knew who actually created the effect
but as Magicians we must always respect the original creator :)