Author (Read 484 times)

Why is Spring the season of death?
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:13:45 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Does anyone find it ironic how Spring symbolizes life and rebirth in our culture, yet it is also the season when nothing new happens in our culture?

Movies are dead during these few months. Shows go off the air for pretty much all of March and April. People stop buying things entirely. Even our card community has slowed down.

We see only 1-3 new decks per month now as opposed to 5-10 a few months back. In a couple months, it will be 5-10 again if not higher.

What do you think is the reason behind this?
Forum Founder.

Re: Why is Spring the season of death?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Does anyone find it ironic how Spring symbolizes life and rebirth in our culture, yet it is also the season when nothing new happens in our culture?

Movies are dead during these few months. Shows go off the air for pretty much all of March and April. People stop buying things entirely. Even our card community has slowed down.

We see only 1-3 new decks per month now as opposed to 5-10 a few months back. In a couple months, it will be 5-10 again if not higher.

What do you think is the reason behind this?

We can use the break from the release-a-day cycles.

People always have less cash after the holidays, and the economy picks up a little when people get their tax refunds, then more when summer unofficially starts on Memorial Day weekend (for non-Americans, Memorial Day is the last Monday in May and is a national holiday).

The economy as a whole has been dragging.

While many shows have traditionally gone into reruns after the Neilsen "bible" ratings (diary books are sent to individuals and returned to gauge TV ratings) are taken during February, hence the term "February sweeps".  Nowadays, the schedule has become more year-round, so often shows will go off-the-air instead in favor of what used to be known as "mid-season replacements" but now are simply the off-season shows running new episodes.  It's TV's attempt to compete with the 24/7/366 media behemoth known as the Internet.

Buying luxury items has always been cyclical and we're in the low end of that cycle.

More weddings take place in the springtime, so more people attend weddings and more people have to purchase wedding gifts in the springtime.

Leisure travel (non-winter oriented) gets a bump for Easter/Spring Break, lulls until Memorial Day weekend, then hits full-swing when schools close for summer - depending on where you live and what school, that would be sometime between late May and late June.  People save for those kinds of trips.

I think that covers a lot of reasons...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I just realized based on my own personal experiences: Tax season. When the government takes 40-50% of your income if you make under $250k per year.

And here I thought I broke even on the Vortex deck. =_=
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
I think it is still accurate to to say Spring brings about rebirth. Many people who have seasonal work are back on the payroll. Soccer and baseball and a few other sports I am not good enough to partake in come back in full swing. I know my wifes company has seen a %20 increase in contracts in the pass month. So yes, for many it is a time of renewal. I guess it goes back to "one man gathers what another man spills". That being said, many industries see a down swing in the time of rebirth. The business I work in stays busy year round 24/7 and actually improves the more things go downhill.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 06:29:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Many people who have seasonal work are back on the payroll.

...unless the season in question is winter, like outdoor skating rinks and ski resorts...

But in general, we as a culture engage in more summer sports than winter ones, so you have a point.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/