Crappy new deck

Author (Read 3802 times)

Re: Crappy new deck
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 12:35:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for the feedback Nathan. As I mentioned on the kickstarter page, I'm aware of the possible copyright issues. If this gets off the ground at all I will have my friend (Who designed the cards) change any cards that could be a possible issue. I'm aware that a lot of people have spent hundreds of hours designing intricate decks, and I can definitely respect that. This is not supposed to be any competition to that, and I would hope people wouldn't try to compare the two. It's just a fun thing that a few friends have expressed interest in, so I wanted to see if there was enough interest to get a run of them.

There was actually an attempt on kickstarter to fund a deck of meme playing cards a few months ago. The cards looked worse than mine (I know, is that even possible, right?) and they raised $2,000 (When they were trying to raise $4,800).

We know all about that deck; they had a goal of $4,200 and raised just under $2,200.

Hey, don't mind what we have to say.  It sounds like you're targeting a small market and that this deck is almost the playing cards equivalent of a vanity book from a publisher that printed it because the writer fronted the cash.  They may not sell in big quantities, but they're usually not printed in big quantities, either.

I'm sure if you talk with Rajas at Brahma, he'll be able to help you out and get the deck made in a "just right" quantity to meet your audience's desires.  You won't get a lot of takers here, but you will likely be able to fund your KS project without us, if you market the hell out of it.

And who knows?

The most valuable Star Wars poster ever released wasn't some big, fancy professional job.  About a year before the movie came out, a comic book artist named Howard Chaykin was commissioned to make a Star Wars poster that didn't actually include the name.  It was made in small quantities and sold at $1 each at a sci-fi convention a handful of months before the film's release.  I don't even think they were able to sell them all out.  That poster now sells in the four figures - the artwork is merely OK compared to the nice posters for the theatrical release, but it's exceptionally rare and thus very highly desirable (after the fact).

Maybe in a handful of years, your rare meme deck will be the one collectors are drooling over...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/