Crappy new deck

Author (Read 3807 times)

Crappy new deck
« on: March 28, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
This ones made by shane wilker any connection to shane carter? This one looks like someone trying for a money grab. Im starting to get tired of all these new decks coming out...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819321247/meme-playing-cards?ref=live
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:17:40 PM by ReaganM »

Re: Crappy new deck
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
On top of being horrible..

there are a lot of copyright infringements.

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
This is the lamest deck i have ever seen their are so many people that work hard to create a good deck this is just a slap in the face . >:(

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
There was already an internet meme deck that failed miserably. Why bother? Sure hope that one doesn't go anywhere.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
This ones made by shane wilker any connection to shane carter? This one looks like someone trying for a money grab. Im starting to get tired of all these new decks coming out...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819321247/meme-playing-cards?ref=live
I don't think they are connected in any way because he wouldn't have put a picture of himself if that were the case. These are fugly. Bleh, I would be surprised if he even gets 1000$ funding. Also, what is he printing through to get a deck printed for 3,000$?

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:51:47 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Wow!!

Those are soooo bad, it almost seems like a joke!

thanks, Randy

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:56:16 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to put a picture of Zoidberg on that deck.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
This guy's not a card designer, just wants to stick crap on anything.  I guess these fall into the 'memorabilia' sub-category.  He may as well print them on anything.  If they're made, they'll handle and look like crap; this isn't aimed at collectors at all.  Move along.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I agree with the above - and what's the deal with those rewards?  Did they actually do the math, 'cause it looks like they could lose serious money on this deck, or at least get a serious cut taken from their profits.  They raise more money, you get more cards for the same investment?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to put a picture of Zoidberg on that deck.

We should lobby to make it illegal to design fugly, crappy decks.  :bosswalk:

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »

Dudeee

• True Member
Is this the April Fools deck? LOL........

It sure looks like it......

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 10:52:24 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I think those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
I think those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

If that's a jibe at the fact you don't like ReaganM's Ultra Ape deck, in the spirit of the meme nature of this thread:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:38:28 AM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:39:15 AM »

InfidelRebel

• Newcomer
Hey everyone, this is Shane I'm the guy who created the project on Kickstarter. At first I was a little confused by the overwhelming negative statements on this board, and then I realized this is a forum for people who do this stuff professionally. Just as a quick response to the comments on here.

I'm not doing this in an attempt to make any significant profit. I obviously have to cover my costs, but the rewards and goals are based on the cost of having them made through a company. I received quotes from several different custom playing card manufacturers, and the cheapest I found was roughly $2,000 for a 500 deck run, which is too expensive to make it worthwhile, since the manufacturers would charge a tax and shipping fee on top of that. Also, kickstarter takes out 10%. The quote was around $2,800 for a 1000 deck run, or $2.80 per deck. That would be cheap enough on my part that I can give the backers on kickstarter a decent deal. I'm paying shipping out of my own pocket, so if the project does hit the goal, I would have to account for at least $2-$3 cost per person for shipping costs. For that reason, I said if we reach the goal of $3,000, I can do 1 deck for $10 (Taking into account shipping costs) or as many as 3 decks for the same cost, since if we raise $7,000 the cost of manufacturing them goes down significant. However I wanted to provide an incentive for pledging more, so I said if someone donates $100 AND we also raise the $7,000 needed to manufacture them at a cost of less than a dollar, I can sell them to the backers for only $2 per deck. I thought that would be a fair incentive where there's enough of a profit margin to make it worth my time, but it would be cheap enough that the backers would be getting a good deal. I don't necessarily expect to raise that much, but I figured that if we DID raise more, I'd like to give the backers a better deal, instead of trying to make a large profit off of each individual person.

Of course, I'm sure the people on this forum have more experience than I do in the subject. If anyone knows a place to get a good quality run for less than what I was quoted, please feel free to contact me. If there's a better option I'm completely willing to take down the project and re-evaluate my options. I've read a few articles and guides on how to make them myself, but I didn't see anything that seemed professional enough for my tastes. I'm a magician/poker player and have spent enough time with cards that I'd like to do a run sturdy enough to hold up to everyday wear. I have more experience handling cards, and not necessarily making them however, so I'm sure the average member of this forum would be a lot more knowledgeable than I in that regard.

In response to the comments of the decks being unattractive, I'm confused. Of course not everyone is into the meme/rage face subculture that has dominated websites such as reddit and stumbleupon, but the concept was not for mass appeal, it was for a group of people who are fans of and appreciate the inside jokes and comedy of rage comics and Reddit, which is the largest message board on the internet.

Again, I created this project because I figured there was a market for it. If anyone has suggestions for getting them produced cheaper, or for a different look, or anything at all, I'm completely open to constructive criticism. I don't take any negative comments personally, but hopefully I can get some sort of useful information from you guys, as I'm sure I could learn a lot from this place.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:40:23 AM by InfidelRebel »

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 12:58:10 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
/splice
First, welcome to the forum, and second kudos on giving a reasoned and articulate response that should be conducive to constructive criticism. A thick skin doesn't hurt either, so it's good you've got that.

I suppose the first thing I would want to address before anything is the copyright problems with some of the images you use. I don't think any reputable printer would permit printing a deck that violates those.

As for a cheap, professional card manufacturer I don't know much, but I may suggest Brahma Playing Card Company from India. The owner has a thread about the company here and the website is here
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 01:04:26 AM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
/splice
As for a cheap, professional card manufacturer I don't know much, but I may suggest Brahma Playing Card Company from India. The owner has a thread about the company here and the website is here

^Agreed. Honestly cards like these shouldn't be printed at high quality. They're gag gifts. Honestly I think they're good gag gifts for those who embrace them. If you have a site I'd just make it for free available download that you can print out yourselves and if you WANTED, you could pay for the physical cards as well. Cards Against Humanity did that. Same reddit based community (although more development and no copyright infringment).

-Chin
SEASONS Playing Cards - Changing Design

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 01:06:18 AM »

InfidelRebel

• Newcomer
Thanks Linguist. The copyright issue was something a few people addressed when we were in the process of designing the cards. I'll definitely have to change a few of them (Such as Zoidberg and the any cards that bear a resemblance to a real person), but before I do that I wanted to see if there was any significant response. If I can find a company that can print a short run for a reasonable price and there's not much of a response from Kickstarter, I'll probably just fund it myself. My plan as of now is to wait a couple days and see if there's any interest in this deck. If so I'll redo anything that could pose legal issues. If not I'll just attempt to do it myself if possible. I've always been a fan of collecting playing cards, I have a couple hundred decks myself. Just thought this could have some potential. Thanks!

PS, I'll definitely check out the Brahma playing card company. I'll go to the website now. Thanks for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:12:35 AM by InfidelRebel »

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 01:08:46 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I acctually don't mind the deck, I am going to pledge for 1, I think the title of this thread should not be "Crappy New Deck" Because some people may like them.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 01:14:16 AM »

InfidelRebel

• Newcomer
Thanks Aaron. As said before, the plan is to see what kind of response there is. If I don't reach the $3,000 goal but I get somewhere close ($2,000 or so), I'll probably pledge the last thousand myself to make sure it reaches the funding goal. Thanks for the support.

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 05:57:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks Aaron. As said before, the plan is to see what kind of response there is. If I don't reach the $3,000 goal but I get somewhere close ($2,000 or so), I'll probably pledge the last thousand myself to make sure it reaches the funding goal. Thanks for the support.

One of the things you'll like about working with Rajas Paranjpe (owner of Brahma Playing Cards) is that he's willing to work with little guys and treats you well.  The parent company Brahma was created from, Archduke Playing Cards, produced the Archduke Eaglebacks, originally intended for distribution just in India but well-received in many other parts of the world - Brahma is their new international-market subsidiary.  He's get prices that blow USPC out of the water but still creates a quality card worth using and owning, and will sell prints of prototype decks for only $50 as opposed to USPC's $250 for the same service.  USPC's rep is that they make great cards, but they sometimes run roughshod over the smaller customers in favor of larger clients.

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 06:00:18 AM »

InfidelRebel

• Newcomer
Rajas just added me on Facebook. I'll definitely talk to him about it. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 06:37:25 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
As some of you already know. I happen to like Meme and/or Rage cartoons, but yeah I am not very fond of this.
Plus yeah the copyright is something to be wary of.

*sigh*

Im sorry InfedelRebel, but I'm going to sit this one out. :(

good luck on your project.
cheers

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 09:09:43 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I go to reddit and /b/ and I love me some meme's but I could never pay for them.

I will wish you good luck on the project after the blatant copyright infringement is gone.  Also, you need a model release form from 'Good Guy Greg', as with all photos of people.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I don't think the title should be "crappy new deck" as it is offensive IMO. Welcome to the forums. A little correction: not all of us are professional playing card users. As a matter of fact some of us aren't even 18 yet and many of us are just card aficionados. The thing is that 10$ may be a lot of money for low quality playing cards with just one little meme that can be easily found all over the internet or printed at home. Many of us actually are friends with people who have spent hundreds of hours to design a deck of playing cards and have it printed for cheaper than a deck with plain memes on them. You should also really watch out for copyright issues.
Best of luck
Nathan

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »

InfidelRebel

• Newcomer
Thanks for the feedback Nathan. As I mentioned on the kickstarter page, I'm aware of the possible copyright issues. If this gets off the ground at all I will have my friend (Who designed the cards) change any cards that could be a possible issue. I'm aware that a lot of people have spent hundreds of hours designing intricate decks, and I can definitely respect that. This is not supposed to be any competition to that, and I would hope people wouldn't try to compare the two. It's just a fun thing that a few friends have expressed interest in, so I wanted to see if there was enough interest to get a run of them.

There was actually an attempt on kickstarter to fund a deck of meme playing cards a few months ago. The cards looked worse than mine (I know, is that even possible, right?) and they raised $2,000 (When they were trying to raise $4,800).

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 12:35:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the feedback Nathan. As I mentioned on the kickstarter page, I'm aware of the possible copyright issues. If this gets off the ground at all I will have my friend (Who designed the cards) change any cards that could be a possible issue. I'm aware that a lot of people have spent hundreds of hours designing intricate decks, and I can definitely respect that. This is not supposed to be any competition to that, and I would hope people wouldn't try to compare the two. It's just a fun thing that a few friends have expressed interest in, so I wanted to see if there was enough interest to get a run of them.

There was actually an attempt on kickstarter to fund a deck of meme playing cards a few months ago. The cards looked worse than mine (I know, is that even possible, right?) and they raised $2,000 (When they were trying to raise $4,800).

We know all about that deck; they had a goal of $4,200 and raised just under $2,200.

Hey, don't mind what we have to say.  It sounds like you're targeting a small market and that this deck is almost the playing cards equivalent of a vanity book from a publisher that printed it because the writer fronted the cash.  They may not sell in big quantities, but they're usually not printed in big quantities, either.

I'm sure if you talk with Rajas at Brahma, he'll be able to help you out and get the deck made in a "just right" quantity to meet your audience's desires.  You won't get a lot of takers here, but you will likely be able to fund your KS project without us, if you market the hell out of it.

And who knows?

The most valuable Star Wars poster ever released wasn't some big, fancy professional job.  About a year before the movie came out, a comic book artist named Howard Chaykin was commissioned to make a Star Wars poster that didn't actually include the name.  It was made in small quantities and sold at $1 each at a sci-fi convention a handful of months before the film's release.  I don't even think they were able to sell them all out.  That poster now sells in the four figures - the artwork is merely OK compared to the nice posters for the theatrical release, but it's exceptionally rare and thus very highly desirable (after the fact).

Maybe in a handful of years, your rare meme deck will be the one collectors are drooling over...