You are Here:

Poll

Will you be there?

Yes.
Later in the project. ( the kickstarter project.)
Maybe eventually.
No.
Monkey ( Ill take this as a no btw )
Ultra Ape deck launch party

Author (Read 8125 times)

Ultra Ape deck launch party
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Well we launched!  :karrit:  :bosswalk:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1762124010/ultra-ape-poker-playing-cards
Launch date: 3/23/12 12:00pm Mountain Time!

Rewards
Rewards other than decks and standard tuck boxes will include, leather tuck boxes, deck clips, uncut sheets, and "stripper decks".

The deck We have decided to go with Rajas' new finish, it will make the decks durable, and with extra sharp edges for excelent faroing, the edges are also extremelty durable and will not wear out quickly.

The Art This... so far, although we are working on making the monkey head to look not so photoshoped.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:20:59 AM by ReaganM »

Re: Ultra Ape deck launch party
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I really like the additions you made! Especially the design around the king. The back design is better and I will buy it but I feel that there is still room for improvement. This deck has come a long way and it looks great! Good luck with it!

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I said "maybe eventually" because I don't have a whole lot of money currently and the new back design kinda turned me off. Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
The gorilla heads at the back would look good with hats to and would make the whole back design look better but that's just my opinion .

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
The gorilla heads at the back would look good with hats to and would make the whole back design look better but that's just my opinion .
Thats a great idea.

The votes are depressing me lol.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:58:07 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »

awesomeness12

• Forum Regular
This deck looks pretty cool! I think it might be a problem for some card tricks where the back design borderss and faces are different colors. Just my opinion. Anyways, count me in! ;)
Most Recently Added: Variety Box v4
Decks I'm looking for: Black Crowns, Smoke and Mirrors v5, Centurions, Sentinels.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
This deck looks pretty cool! I think it might be a problem for some card tricks where the back design borderss and faces are different colors. Just my opinion. Anyways, count me in! ;)
Really? Im wondering if this is also why some people are voting no. It be an easy fix, to put a thin black border around the edge.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Really? Im wondering if this is also why some people are voting no. It be an easy fix, to put a thin black border around the edge.
People are voting no for a couple of reasons:
1) It's not bicycle.
2) It's not USPCC
3) It's not magic finish.
4) It's not the best deck ever.
5) It's not aimed towards magicians or collectors.
NO offense, just trying to help.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
1) It's not bicycle.
2) It's not USPCC
I understand, but the 5th is a bit debatable. Two things Im doing for magicians are the really sharp edges, and the "stripper" decks. Other than that Im not sure what else can really be done.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:55:31 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
1) It's not bicycle.
2) It's not USPCC
I understand, but the 5th is a bit debatable. Two things Im doing for magicians are the really sharp edges, and the "stripper" decks. Other than that Im not sure what else can really be done.
It's a stripper deck?

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 06:32:43 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
1) It's not bicycle.
2) It's not USPCC
It's a stripper deck?
No but one of the rewards are, Its just a different cut and doesnt really cost me any extra so its on there. For people who dont know what that is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HH107iiPZg

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 06:53:46 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hey, I have an idea, what if you made the color of the border on the face of the cards the same as the border on the backs? You have that red frame going around anyway, may as well fill the outside of it and make the deck usable for magicians.

Plus, it would be a very unique look.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hey, I have an idea, what if you made the color of the border on the face of the cards the same as the border on the backs? You have that red frame going around anyway, may as well fill the outside of it and make the deck usable for magicians.

I was actually considering doing that.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
I'm actually still a little hesitant on the frame. Not because I don't think it looks good, it looks fine, but because I still wonder if they'll be able to cut it that accurately.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I'm actually still a little hesitant on the frame. Not because I don't think it looks good, it looks fine, but because I still wonder if they'll be able to cut it that accurately.
All I can say is theyll be fine. The manufacturer seems completely fine with the cards, and they are strict as hell for quality control. My steampunk deck had to be reprinted because it was a bit too tin and they footed the whole bill.

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »

awesomeness12

• Forum Regular

That's what I was talking about.
Most Recently Added: Variety Box v4
Decks I'm looking for: Black Crowns, Smoke and Mirrors v5, Centurions, Sentinels.

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 07:50:58 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Can I be the only one to be brutally honest with you and say that the cards are just awful... If they were put out by merz or someone that nobody knew, everyone here, everyone, would be bashing these decks to pieces... People are being kind because they don't want to hurt your feelings, but people, you are not doing him any favors sugar coating it... You should put your efforts elsewhere... Perhaps take a course or two in design or art, or maybe do a bit more research... I'm not trying to insult you or be a wise guy, but the decks are really that bad... Good luck in your future endeavors, and don't try and make this deck one of them...

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I disagree.  I don't see anything wrong with them (except the gorilla's head in the back design, which is being fixed).

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 08:18:25 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Can I be the only one to be brutally honest with you and say that the cards are just awful... If they were put out by merz or someone that nobody knew, everyone here, everyone, would be bashing these decks to pieces... People are being kind because they don't want to hurt your feelings, but people, you are not doing him any favors sugar coating it... You should put your efforts elsewhere... Perhaps take a course or two in design or art, or maybe do a bit more research... I'm not trying to insult you or be a wise guy, but the decks are really that bad... Good luck in your future endeavors, and don't try and make this deck one of them...
Well thats the magic of kickstarter, if people like them it will get funded if not then they wont. You do know that not everyone carries the same opinion as you correct?

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 11:50:43 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Can I be the only one to be brutally honest with you and say that the cards are just awful...
I'm pretty sure that was the most passive/agressive and rudest way to say that.  Brutally honest huh?  What makes you think the rest of us don't like the cards?  I for one can say that all of my comments on this deck have been sincere.  You're making us all out to be liars.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is:  if you don't like the cards annd don't think they are worth being produced, we'd all love to hear your thoughts on why, but without the sass please.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 12:44:35 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ok so I asked my kickstarter backers, of course they love the cards, but the only problem they have is something with the head, Is this the problem you guys are having as well? Anyways, a bit off topic but we have a month to think about it after the project has been launched.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 01:10:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
@Reagan: I thought the original intent of your deck was that you were targeting the poker-player market?

If you are still, the black borders (and the red thin line surrounding the face) on the front are a bad idea.  It forces a player to expose more of their card to determine the value.  The frame around the court card is pretty nice, though.  The curlicues on the back are not great for poker, but they do have a certain undeniable style.  The ape images on the back - back to the drawing board.

If you are targeting magicians, then a black-bordered face would be both useful and different - never seen a deck that had them before.  It does mean that "blank fans" (fanning in the reverse direction to make the deck appear blank) are pretty much ruled out, but the more important handiwork such as hiding reversed cards becomes possible.

You seem set on having four indices.  This will turn off some collectors, entertainers and players, but it's your personal style choice.  Frankly, some collectors won't even look past any deck whose box doesn't say "Bicycle" on it, but that's their hang-up.  Go with your vision - but make those indices LARGER.  They're smaller than standard (or at least appear so) and both magicians and poker players need cards that can be easily read by players/spectators.  Get a standard index size, or consider "parlor size" like the Phoenix Parlor deck from http://card-shark.de.  Those are kind of cool, actually - slightly larger cards with big indices, but they're still small enough for card sleights.

1) It's not bicycle.
2) It's not USPCC

I'd like to comment on those statements you made, Nathan:

1) for anyone too nearsighted to see there are decks other than Bicycle worth owning, it's their choice and their loss.
2) see above statement, swap "Bicycle" with "USPC"
3) see first statement, swap "Bicycle" with "Magic Finish".  I'll never see a non-USPC deck with Magic Finish, but I'll also never see a USPC deck with Quantum Grain Finish, either.  MF is nice, but it's not the be-all and end-all of finishes - some people DISLIKE the slickness of the cards, saying it makes them more difficult to handle.  Great for flourishers, not great for every single application imaginable.  If it was so perfect, why is USPC themselves working on "Experimental Finish" with Alex and the Vortex deck?  It should be totally unnecessary if MF is the apex of finishes.
4) we have yet to see the "best deck ever".  If that was your ONLY requirement, you'd never buy even ONE deck.
5) believe it or not, the huge majority of decks being collected (ESPECIALLY prior to the existence of Ellusionist) WEREN'T aimed at collectors, but they collect them anyway.  As far as magic - 52 pasteboards are all you need.  Some are better than others, but ANY deck can be used to perform at least SOME tricks, even the cheapass 99-cent store two-fer packs.

David Blaine had the same old deck given to him by his mother, heavily worn and decorated like a fortune-telling deck, while growing up as a kid, and it served as his inspiration to become a magician.  Somehow, I doubt they met a single one of the criteria you set above.

The two decks from Misdirection's Mystery are considered by almost everyone who owns them to be among the finest decks ever made.  They aren't Bicycle.  They aren't USPC.  They don't have Magic Finish.  Some might say they're the best decks ever, some might not - people have their preferences.  All but the most dedicated Bicycle-brains out there would be glad to own a deck, especially if they got a good price on it - mean feat, considering the scarcity and popularity.

NO OFFENSE, Nathan, but consider your statements a little before blurting them out.  Just trying to help.  :))
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:12:22 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 05:38:14 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@acegambit... Wow... Really?  I don't need to get into a P!$$!NG contest with you, but I don't think there was anything passive aggressive about it... We could call it all out aggressive, and honestly, if you truly are encouraging this deck, then I'd say that the issue is with you... As far as calling anyone a liar, I did not, so don't put words in my mouth and don't get so emotional and reactive... It seems as though you have strong feelings for this deck, but I'm sure that Reagan would rather have your support monetarily than on the forum, so make sure to pledge a bit of your earnings... Like I said, stop coddling the guy and be honest... From the looks of things, the deck has such a favorable response that the kickstarter should have no issues - make sure to pledge for a brick or two - put your money where  your mouth is and pledge... There's no ill will here, and I'm not wishing the guy fails, I'm not a hater, I'm just pointing out that the deck is just plain awful... I mean perhaps, scroll back and take another look... I'm really not trying to bash the guy, I just thought I'd interject some honesty into this love fest...

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:56 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Whoa @jmrock, not aiming for a fight, but you said that you were the ONLY one to be brutally honest, I just think that's a statement that you (nor I) have the insight to accurately make.  Suggesting that you were calling everyone liars was a bit out of line, for that I do apologize.  As far as the pledging is concerned, I will pledge for this deck.  Last I heard they were going up at $15-$20 per pair.  Which what I will pledge for.  I do not buy cards by the brick, I don't need that many.  I am a magician first, card collector second.  As a magician, the cards are not anything I would ever consider performing with (especially having never handled a deck from this printer before), as a collector, I really like the cards, I think they are unique, but probably have a little too much novelty to them for them to be anything spectacular, still I will pick up a couple decks.

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
reagan .. no matter what i will still get the deck i like it alot i will get a couple of it ... i just watch a anime and that anime is someone drawing a manga .. and the person manga is not so well like and his manga series is going to end soon so he decided to read the fan letter and try to change the storyline so that his fan will like it better ..but afterthat his editor scold him and say that this is not your work .. this is your fan work .. lol the moral of the story is i love your work .. and dun change the art too much because people do not like it ,the way you are making your deck is just fine ..maybe you can take alex suggestion etc .. lol wtf am i saying this 

Agree with everything don say .. amazing i am always lazy to read stuff that is so long