Author (Read 19269 times)

Re: Your Ultimate Custom Brick!
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
THE Ultimate Brick... 12 Jack Links Jerky WSOP Decks all together in one brick box... hahaha!!! Really I just was getting a kick out of that deck and meant to bid on it, but forgot... I guess someone on here picked it up for the original bid of $7.50 (I happen to think a good score)... Wondering what his top bid was... I would've gone $10 or $11...

OOOHhh Yeahhhh

BEST DECK EVER!

(dripping with sarcasm)

HAHAH
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »

Dazzleguts

• True Member
Very hard to choose, and if I did this again tomorrow it would probably be a different brick. I considered slanting these more towards the cardstry/magic decks, but to be truthful this is it. I would swap the "Bag of Bones" for my Yutaka Kikuchi fanning deck from the 70's, but it is too large to fit in a brick. :-[   
Sun Wukong - Monkey King from China (Puke looks funny but I think it is actually Pu Ke for playing cards)
Early Deland's
Tactics Supranationals - deck printed by Nintendo in 1982
Bag of Bones - one of a series of transformation decks from artist John Littleboy
Blue Artifice 1st edition
DSR Rostock II - Naval Company deck with custom art. Aces feature sea monsters.
Ackermann transformation deck from 1818
Sentinels
Penitentiary deck from The Netherlands
Split Spades 1st edition, any colour
Oldschool Pirate Tattoo by tatoo artist Vitaly Fishilevich
Le Jeu de Marseille - deck created by the surrealists in 1940
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:28:42 PM by Dazzleguts »

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
@Dazzleguts that's a really interesting little brick you've got going on.  I know what you mean about it being different if you did it again the next day; I think mine would be, too.

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
On a serious note... Very hard to decide... But I posted a Modern & Vintage Ultimate Custom Brick...
Modern:
Playboy Bicycle
Bape Bicycle
Worm Back Bee
USPC Tech Art
D&D Smoke
Bicycle Santa Back
LTD
White Fan Back
Gold Monarch
White Centurian
1984 Olympic Bicycle
OriginalFake Bicycle

Vintage:
USPC 1930s Sportsman Playing Cards
Late 1800s NY Consolidated Squeezers
1920s Prohibition Era Bee
1940-1855 Green Steamboats
1940-1955 Racer Back Ivory Finish (Yes I said Ivory Finish - Ridiculously Rare)
EDIT: 1930s Bicycle Racer Back (No Back of Deck on Box - Just this funky King riding a bicycle)
Late 1800s Steamboats w/ Watermelon Joker
1930s Bicycle Lotus Back
1930s USPC 1st Aviator Brand
1940-1955 New Fan Back
Late 1800s Early 1900s NY Consolidated Squeezers - Triton
1930s USPC Treasury Playing Cards
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:23:41 AM by jmrock »

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »

Dazzleguts

• True Member
@Dazzleguts that's a really interesting little brick you've got going on.  I know what you mean about it being different if you did it again the next day; I think mine would be, too.

Thanks Kanped! The picture turned out pretty bad even though it looked great on my computer. I did it as an attachment. Do you have to have the picture hosted online somewhere before you can place it in the post itself?

@jmrock  Like those Triton cards. Is Triton riding a fish on the joker, or am I thinking of another deck?

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Not sure... They're sealed my friend... The only open decks in the brick are the 1800s Steamboats & 1800s Squeezers...

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@jmrock

Loving your bricks! Some good rare decks you got there! ;)

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
Really nice bricks everyone, I don't think I could decide on mine but should I make up my mind I'll post a pic or something.
UC

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
@JMrock, your bricks are really impressive! I like the mix of new decks and vintage decks. The decks that you have are awesome!

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Sun Wukong - Monkey King from China (Puke looks funny but I think it is actually Pu Ke for playing cards)
You have so many strange playing cards :o

Yes, it is Pu-Ke though stupid...
"Poker" is transliterated to "撲克" in Chinese, and they transliterated "撲克" back to English as "Pu Ke" :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: 

You know the story of Sun Wukong, its Chinese name is "孫悟空". And this name is also used in the comics/anime Dragon Ball, though the pronunciation is changed to "Son Goku" in Japanese.

悟 (wu) means "to realize" and 空 (kong) means "emptiness", so "悟空" has its Buddhism meaning in Chinese.

@JMrock, your bricks are really impressive! I like the mix of new decks and vintage decks. The decks that you have are awesome!

@jmrock, your collection is nothing if without the Bicycle War Series :t11: :t11:
_
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:12:31 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:49 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Digipunk... When you're right you're right... hahaha!!! I truly hope to be in the position one day!!!  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:14:25 AM by jmrock »

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Lol are you really gonna bid on the set? What's your estimate on it?

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Vintage:
USPC 1930s Sportsman Playing Cards
Late 1800s NY Consolidated Squeezers
1920s Prohibition Era Bee
1940-1855 Green Steamboats
1940-1955 Racer Back Ivory Finish (Yes I said Ivory Finish - Ridiculously Rare)
Late 1800s Steamboats w/ Watermelon Joker
1930s Bicycle Lotus Back
1930s USPC 1st Aviator Brand
1940-1955 New Fan Back
Late 1800s Early 1900s NY Consolidated Squeezers - Triton
1930s USPC Treasury Playing Cards

That's eleven decks - you left out the Bicycle deck that's between the Ivory Racer Backs and the Steamboats w/Watermelon Joker.  What's that one?

"Poker" is transliterated to "撲克" in Chinese, and they transliterated "撲克" back to English as "Pu Ke" :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: 

You know the story of Sun Wukong, its Chinese name is "孫悟空". And this name is also used in the comics/anime Dragon Ball, though the pronunciation is changed to "Son Goku" in Japanese.

悟 (wu) means "to realize" and 空 (kong) means "emptiness", so "悟空" has its Buddhism meaning in Chinese.

@jmrock, your collection is nothing if without the Bicycle War Series :t11: :t11:
_

When I heard him refer to the Monkey King, I just knew it had to be Son Goku from "Journey to the West"!  I haven't finished reading it myself, but I have seen a few manga and anime that use the character, as well as others from the story.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Don... That's actually a 1930s Bicycle Racer Back... After the 30s the box generally featured a picture of the back of the deck on the box (from what I understand)... The 30s Racer Back had this cool looking King riding a Bicycle on the Box - I love the back of this box... The other side features the Classic Ace of Spades with the title of the deck in the rectangle below (Racer Back)...

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27:08 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
That's eleven decks - you left out the Bicycle deck that's between the Ivory Racer Backs and the Steamboats w/Watermelon Joker.  What's that one?

I'm gonna take a wild guess. Tax stamp sealed Racer Back.

Edit: Lol nvm, jmrock beat me to it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:27:27 AM by sxjy0109 »

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2012, 12:46:06 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Damn sxjy!!! Who is better than you???  You really know your $#!T...

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2012, 01:31:08 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
It was just a guess! It really was!

So the war series, are you going to bid?

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@sxjy... No my friend... I already explained my situation to you... I said one day and that day is definitely not now... They're already starting off at an insane number... I considered other decks, but to be honest, I'm really not thrilled with that type of auction... We all send our highest bids to the one guy running the auction... Then with no information or updates or anything, we just trust that he does the right thing - Period... How ridiculous does that sound - And he's bidding too?  C'mon... This isn't my first time around the track... I think what would be great is that if eBay was able to hold a private auction for a club... Bidders would have logons and then I would feel comfortable... even keep it an open auction... But to tell me "Everybody send me your highest possible bids and I'll make sure that whoever wins, I'll pick the lowest price that you'll pay" I'm not getting involved with that... It's unfortunate, because the auction was the reason I joined 52+Joker and had I known, I probably wouldn't have...

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »

Dazzleguts

• True Member

:mindf-ck:  Thanks digipunk, I was just guessing at Pu Ke being playing cards because I had seen it on other chinese decks as well.  I did read the story behind the Monkey King - had to know what was going on with the interesting images on the cards. Does that mean Wikipedia has it wrong and Sun Wukong should be Sun Wu Kong as separate words? I am adding your info to my write up for this deck.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:34:26 AM by Dazzleguts »

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@Sazzleguts, 孫 (Sun, pronounced as "soon" instead of "son") is his surname, and 悟空(wu-kong) is his name. Therefore it is correct to express his full name as "Sun Wukong" or "Sun Wu-Kong" in English.

Pigsy's Chinese name is 豬八戒.
豬 (Zhu) = pig
八 (Ba) = eight
戒 (Jie) = commandment

Sandy's Chinese name is 沙悟淨
沙 (Sha) = sand
悟 (Wu) = to realize
淨 (Jing) = peace and quiet

« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
@Sazzleguts, 孫 (Sun, pronounced as "soon" instead of "son") is his surname, and 悟空(wu-kong) is his name. Therefore it is correct to express his full name as "Sun Wukong" or "Sun Wu-Kong" in English.

Pigsy's Chinese name is 豬八戒.
豬 (Zhu) = pig
八 (Ba) = eight
戒 (Jie) = commandment

Sandy's Chinese name is 沙悟淨
沙 (Sha) = sand
悟 (Wu) = to realize
淨 (Jing) = peace and quiet
What sorcery have you learnt? :bosswalk:  Well I like the whole series pretty much, i still remember my chinese teacher forced the class to read the whole book. >:(

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@DeckOfCards, the "Journey to the West" (Xi You Ji, 西遊記) is one of the 4 classic Chinese stories. It is worth reading but reading the whole novel is too cruel... :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck:  (I mean there are so many comics, animations, and live actions)

@Dazzleguts, Chinese characters are "one word, one pronunciation", every single word has its meaning. Chinese names are normally 3 words (some are 2 words or 4 words), the first word is the surname (family name) and the rest is the name.

For example, the designer of Bicycle Garden Cage is called 張笑我, where 張 (Zhang) is his family name, and 笑我 is his name.
笑 (Xiao) = laugh
我 (Wo) = me

Zenneth's Chinese name is 郝赫, where 郝 (Hao) is his family name, and 赫 (He) is his name.
_
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:02:09 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
@digipunk I read the whole book(xi you ji). It took a whole full year, considering one chapter a week. Slow right? Cause it's a read along plus after finishing every chapter, we get to watch that chapter on TV.

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Lol you guys should really just start a thread in the Talk Park and continue your Chinese lessons there. >.<

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Lol you guys should really just start a thread in the Talk Park and continue your Chinese lessons there. >.<

Obviously, we are talking about Dazzleguts' Puke :P :P
And you should have corrected me that the pronunciation of Zenneth's surname is Kok (in Cantonese) not Hao (in Mandarin) >:(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:36:52 PM by digipunk »