Early stages of my next deck

Author (Read 21991 times)

Re: Early stages of my next deck
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Well here is the deck with the poker peek pips. Somehow this back is looking better and better to me. Do you guys like this back? I mean It isnt anything youd buy right?

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2012, 09:41:32 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I wouldn't buy that if you were selling it. I don't know what it is about the design that I don't like but I REALLY liked this back design...
(THE FIRST PIC YOU POSTED ON THIS PAGE) http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1751.100

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
See the thing is I really liked that design too, but no one else seemed to but you.

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2012, 12:03:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The Poker Peek indices need to be SMALLER.  About half the size of a standard index.  They usually have the value to the left of the suit pip instead of stacked vertically - the idea is to allow a player to reveal as little of the front of his card as possible while still affording him a view of the card's value/suit.

Make the yellow border more narrow (like the Tendril deck) and make the "mounted gorilla heads" a bit larger.  If you prefer them to be smaller, push them into corners rather than present them along the center line.  (That would actually make for an interesting fan or spread, particularly with narrow borders!)  I'd prefer seeing the border in white, but that's just me - for a poker deck, yellow should be just fine.

Maybe when you make the second back layout (assuming you're creating a real poker set of two decks), you could use a white border and a lighter shade of brown on the "leather".  Regardless of the color scheme you do choose for deck #2 in this set (assuming you're making a set), make the border color a sharp contrast to the rest of the card back.  There's no shortage of colors that would do the trick.

If you're targeting poker players, you need to do a set of two similar designs with different color schemes.  I've never played a game of poker - a real game of poker - where there was only one color of deck in play.  There's always two: identical designs with differing color schemes, one for use in the current hand while the other is being shuffled to start the next hand without delay.  No second deck drags the game, an completely identical second deck leads to possible deck mixing (having two Aces of Spades played in the same hand can be embarrassing) and a totally different second deck forces players to readjust to a change of design with each hand.

Consider also going with no borders around the center pips or court faces.  It looks very classy when done well.  And try to find a way to "blend" the top and bottom faces at the center line on the courts, like having the pinstripes of one suit jacket flow right into the pinstripes of the other suit jacket, almost as if they were a single jacket.  It's what players are accustomed to seeing in a court design and would look pretty slick with your monkey courts.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
One of the people in the other forums did a quick an a bit crude retouch to the apes back, what do you guys think, I personally think it fixes the whole back.
@ Don boyer, there will be two backs and I will fix the pips soon.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:16:02 AM by ReaganM »

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2012, 12:47:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
One of the people in the other forums did a quick an a bit crude retouch to the apes back, what do you guys think, I personally think it fixes the whole back.

I still liked the "leather" look.  Perhaps you could fuse the two looks - smaller diamonds with the leather look?  Every other poker deck out there that's aimed at poker players has a diamond pattern on the back - the leather look makes yours more distinctive, something you need in order to stand out in this marketplace.

Another thing I noticed: why do you have two borders on the faces: one at the outer edge and one surrounding the center pips/court faces?  Whether or not you opt to keep the inner border (I suggested it would look good without it), you really need to ditch the outer border.  Anything that keeps the indices further from the edge of the card is a hindrance and reduces functionality to card players.  Lose the outer border and push out the indices as close to the edge of the card as you can get away with without having incorrectly-cut cards.

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
@ don boyer: I dont understand how the indices being farther in is a hendrance to poker players. I will see what the card with the leather and smaller diamonds will look like.

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
In a professional card game the general idea is to only expose as much of the card as you need to in order to determine the suit/value.  Often times in games like Texas Hold Em' you will see players not even pick up their cards, but merely bend them a little, give them a small spread, and put them back down, for fear of other players catching a glimpse of the card.  The indices (or indexes, I'm pretty sure both are correct) being further from the edge of the card requires players to expose more of the card to determine it's suit/value, which runs a higher risk of flashing your cards to the other players.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2012, 03:14:37 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

I like that a lot better than the gold one... but you know which design I really like.

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:08 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
here it is with small leather diamonds, I mighta went a little crazy with the shadowing.

« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2012, 12:53:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
In a professional card game the general idea is to only expose as much of the card as you need to in order to determine the suit/value.  Often times in games like Texas Hold Em' you will see players not even pick up their cards, but merely bend them a little, give them a small spread, and put them back down, for fear of other players catching a glimpse of the card.  The indices (or indexes, I'm pretty sure both are correct) being further from the edge of the card requires players to expose more of the card to determine it's suit/value, which runs a higher risk of flashing your cards to the other players.

That sums it up nicely, thanks.  As far as the plural for index...  If you're being traditional, indices is the proper plural, just like matrices is the proper plural for matrix.  But in modern usage, many people don't stick to the traditional pluralization because they simply don't know it, and they find that adding -es is easier, since it sounds like it should be correct.  Some might even call it an old-fashioned usage to write indices, just as you never hear the word datum very often, but you do hear the plural form, data, often being used as the singular form as well.

Despite mankind's many efforts to pin down, classify and define language, the fact remains that it's a living, breathing, moving target, highly elusive and forever evolving to suit the needs of the current users.  If a native English speaker were to read an "Old English" letter written in the time from the Dark Ages up to the Renaissance, you're likely to barely even recognize it as your own language.  Most people only barely know Renaissance English usage because of the unflagging support for the works of William Shakespeare.

But I digress...

Reagan - SMALL, angled indices in the right corners, with pip to the right of value, is the standard for a Poker Peek index.  All indices need to be pushed out as close to the edge of the cards as is permissible without causing registration/alignment errors when it's time to cut the card sheets.  The only time I don't see an index pushed out is when it's so freakin' huge that it dominates the card, like the bridge-sized Hoyle Super Index cards or the poker-sized Bicycle Lo-Vision.

The issue about taking small peeks from a turned-up corner is also the reason why bridge-sized cards have become the norm in professional poker games.  Smaller cards are easier to conceal under your cupped hands when peeking.  Plastic decks are more popular than paper not only because they last longer, but also because they're more difficult to mark and crimp.  Simple back designs are more popular than complex ones because there are fewer places to hide a marking system.

Now I'm really thinking you should be paying me to be your consultant!  :))

I just caught that last post - the shadow around the heads is a bit large, but otherwise I really like this design.  Make the shadow circle small enough that just a few of the longer details (furthest from the center of the circle) are actually sticking out of the shadow.  My tuppence.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:57:29 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ok I think the cards might be ready for the "second stage" pretty much hammering out the prices and rewards ( after the small edits of course ), but idk Im kinda worried about the lack of posts lol. I know this has been stated before but there will be two decks silver and gold.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:41:36 AM by ReaganM »

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Always try to have solid color on the borders. using vignette, shading can cause lot of inconsistencies when the punching takes place.
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards
Manufacturer of highest quality customized playing cards in paper and plastic.
Experts in making custom playing cards for magicians, cardistry, card games and poker.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ok I think the cards are starting to look well now.

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2012, 12:12:52 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Those look good, But I don`t like the 4-corner pips and the apes on the back should be bigger with a thinner gold border.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2012, 12:14:55 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I don't mind the 4 pips at the corner, but I'm not appreciative to how two are straight, while the other two slanted. I agree with Aaron that the border should be thinner.

« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2012, 12:29:39 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Always try to have solid color on the borders. using vignette, shading can cause lot of inconsistencies when the punching takes place.
there is a solid black border around the gold one.
@others ill give the thin border style a try
I was also thinking maybe as rewards I could print the logo on cigar bands, however I dont know what sort of copyright issues Id have putting my cigar bands on other peoples cigars, I was also thinking about humidifiers or custom cigar cutters, although the humidifiers would be around 50 - 200$ each. Just a thought...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:36:36 AM by ReaganM »

« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2012, 05:54:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ok I think the cards are starting to look well now.

You opted for a SOLID back?  Good for poker, but not as aesthetically pleasing.

Those look good, But I don`t like the 4-corner pips and the apes on the back should be bigger with a thinner gold border.
I don't mind the 4 pips at the corner, but I'm not appreciative to how two are straight, while the other two slanted. I agree with Aaron that the border should be thinner.

The right-corner indices are meant to be Poker Peek pips.  This is the Bicycle Pro PokerPeek deck:
http://bicyclepokerdecks.blogspot.com/2010/04/bicycle-pro-poker-peek.html
The smaller indices are best for use in Texas HoldEm.  Read above, it was already explained.

I do think that the Peek indices need to be smaller and further in the corner.  And that the King displayed has the pip and value reverse in the peek index.

there is a solid black border around the gold one.
@others ill give the thin border style a try
I was also thinking maybe as rewards I could print the logo on cigar bands, however I dont know what sort of copyright issues Id have putting my cigar bands on other peoples cigars, I was also thinking about humidifiers or custom cigar cutters, although the humidifiers would be around 50 - 200$ each. Just a thought...

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Humidifiers, cutters, etc. all cost money.  Cheap ones aren't worth owning, and expensive ones are too costly for swag.

As cool as the idea of having the UltraApe logo on a cigar may be, federal law prohibits using illustrated characters such as yours for the advertisement of any tobacco products, not to mention that you'd have to age-verify your potential buyers.

Best you could do would be to simply sell the labels as "ring stickers" or something, but even there, some politically-correct mom who catches her kid playing with paper rings having an image of a cigar-smoking cartoon ape on them might take umbrage - and the last thing you want to end up doing is getting embroiled in a legal conflict that will destroy you financially.  You could do it with reasonably legal safety IF and ONLY IF you remove the cigar from the ape's mouth for the rings, and don't promote them as being cigar labels, just as "paper rings" or something to that effect.

« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I know what the pips are for and I've seen them around. I just don't like how they're not uniformly oriented.

« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Aesthetically, I do not care for the look of the angled indices sharing the card with the standard ones, but functionally I get it.  I see you have the angled ones closer to the edge, I think it's this functional change that sets off the aesthetics for me.  Because the angled indices are the same size as the standard ones, yet not lined up horizontally or vertically with the standard ones, it looks off.  Maybe if the angled ones were at like a 75% scale to the standard ones, I think I might like them better.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Aesthetically, I do not care for the look of the angled indices sharing the card with the standard ones, but functionally I get it.  I see you have the angled ones closer to the edge, I think it's this functional change that sets off the aesthetics for me.  Because the angled indices are the same size as the standard ones, yet not lined up horizontally or vertically with the standard ones, it looks off.  Maybe if the angled ones were at like a 75% scale to the standard ones, I think I might like them better.

Peek indices are meant to be smaller than standard ones.  Just large enough to read when you peel up that corner of the card, and that's it.

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
here what do you guy think about this?

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Personally, this is my favorite so far. Maybe you could make the shadow around the monkeys on the back a bit less "dense" or "thick", if you know what I mean.

« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2012, 10:17:47 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Much better! I like this more than the previous one. It looks more balanced to me.

« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:06 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Personally, this is my favorite so far. Maybe you could make the shadow around the monkeys on the back a bit less "dense" or "thick", if you know what I mean.
Maybe, well see what everyone else thinks, I personally think its perfect so far