You are Here:
Sultan Republic: Treasury Edition by Ellusionist

Author (Read 38129 times)

Re: Sultan Republic: Treasury Edition by Ellusionist
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
in the situation where the deck was kept a secret and sold out before being completely available, everyone and their mother would buy the next deck by E that had a "secret" because they would want the chance to get a rare deck.
True dat.  That's basically what my thoughts were as well.
- Adam

« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
1) I'd like to give Ellusionist some recognition, for at least trying to add some spice to the playing card community. But, because of the lesson they've learned with their first "secret" deck, I hope they are able to counteract this problem if it does arise later on.

2) Although the first secret is a goner, THE SECOND SECRET IS STILL OUT THERE. And we should work on finding it. First off, how do we know the second secret is laid out on the Treasury deck?
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Just letting you know, there are 2 secrets in the regular Sultan deck. One is the Treasury deck.

« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
Just letting you know, there are 2 secrets in the regular Sultan deck. One is the Treasury deck.

The other one is for uncutsheet or t-shirt or both?

« Reply #204 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I am happy that I waited. Now I can buy the nicer Treasury Edition at reasonable price instead of been screwed by flippers or fellow board member.

And the best part is I do not even need to buy the normal edition.  :bosswalk:

Well, that assumes there's no additional secrets to discover, requiring BOTH decks to decipher...  :))

The idea of hiding secrets in a deck is a good one, and I see this sales gimmick as being used successfully in the future - when done right.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #205 on: November 07, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I am happy that I waited. Now I can buy the nicer Treasury Edition at reasonable price instead of been screwed by flippers or fellow board member.

And the best part is I do not even need to buy the normal edition.  :bosswalk:

Well, that assumes there's no additional secrets to discover, requiring BOTH decks to decipher...  :))

The idea of hiding secrets in a deck is a good one, and I see this sales gimmick as being used successfully in the future - when done right.

Yeah, if it's done properly it could be very useful. I think what Ellusionist should have done was when you decipher the code, you enter it into a website which generates you a one off code (one per customer) and the link to the deck. There also needs to be a record of if you have purchased the Sultan deck or not. So at least that way, regardless of if the link gets leaked, you can only use the code once and you need to have purchased the Sultan deck as well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:52:20 AM by agera94 »
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2012, 12:55:49 AM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
best interior tuck box ever

« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2012, 01:23:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah, if it's done properly it could be very useful. I think what Ellusionist should have done was when you decipher the code, you enter it into a website which generates you a one off code (one per customer) and the link to the deck. There also needs to be a record of if you have purchased the Sultan deck or not. So at least that way, regardless of if the link gets leaked, you can only use the code once and you need to have purchased the Sultan deck as well.

Sounds like a LOT of work.  You're essentially registering each and every deck purchase of the new "prize" deck.  But not impossible, and certainly an effective way to completely eliminate the chance of someone spilling the beans.  It could be something as simple as requiring you to log in to enter the secret, then generate a unique page ID that's linked to your account - only that account would be able to purchase from that page.  It's also a pretty good way to issue one-off coupon codes and such.

Something to consider for the future...

« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2012, 02:29:12 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Shipping is much more affordable! As low as $3 for 1 deck! Woah Evan shared the link!!! haha
Yep! I shared the link when it was supposed to be shared. Unlike you, who shared the link when it was not supposed to be shared.

Back on topic: I am glad to see that the shipping prices are back to normal. Sadly I had to pay $11.95 for domestic shipping last week  :(

@Evan - I actually never shared the link because I never had it... I Didn't get this deck until tonight  :D Not trying to start an argument just saying I think you got the wrong dude haha

Overall I really like the look of this deck and I think with the right tactics they could pull this off next time. If they had the map go to a page for the "secret" deck with a 1-time use code to purchase a deck. Of course if you added a not super limited stock to that formula it would work even better. I could see it being fun and very profitable to them.

edit: whoops saw that idea was posted a couple posts above me. Didn't read that one. Overall I think it could work even though, as Don stated, it could be a lot of work
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:30:21 AM by brown_baggs »
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It's become quite clear lately that any of these "rare and special" decks from the big companies follow the exact same pattern:

- OMG it's so rare you can only get it this special way!!!
- HOLY COW BALLZ this is going to be so hard to get!!
- Oh wait, maybe you can get it this other way!!
- There, anyone can buy it. Sorry about all the hype.
- Oh BTW, it's actually not all that rare. No bigs, right?

:)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
It's become quite clear lately that any of these "rare and special" decks from the big companies follow the exact same pattern:

I actually got a chuckle reading that.   Funny thing is...............everything you said is true.   An example that comes to mind first was the Gold Crown deck.   Had to spend so much money to get one and they didn't even have anything worth getting.  I waited and had patience knowing this would happen...........then voila!   Gold Crowns for anyone that wants them.
- Adam

« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Shipping is much more affordable! As low as $3 for 1 deck! Woah Evan shared the link!!! haha
Yep! I shared the link when it was supposed to be shared. Unlike you, who shared the link when it was not supposed to be shared.

Back on topic: I am glad to see that the shipping prices are back to normal. Sadly I had to pay $11.95 for domestic shipping last week  :(

I am very furious with Ellusionist.
For those who discovered the secret what was really the "prize"?
- To buy a edition limited to 2500 decks? Almost 24h passed and the deck is still in stock!! Limited edition? 2500 decks? I don't believe it!
- But for those who discovered the secret there was a prize! Yes, I had the right to pay 27 dollars to ship 4 decks to Europe  :o  Now you can order the same decks for 13 dollars!
Thank you Ellusionist. I feel really special.
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »

Labyrinth

• True Member

- To buy a edition limited to 2500 decks? Almost 24h passed and the deck is still in stock!! Limited edition? 2500 decks? I don't believe it!
- But for those who discovered the secret there was a prize! Yes, I had the right to pay 27 dollars to ship 4 decks to Europe  :o  Now you can order the same decks for 13 dollars!

"Limited" 2 decks per order now
I think there will really be 2500 for sale
But there is no so many collectors to buy it  ::)
There is why it still in stock

I think limited deck must available in special way
Alway not sell in public and released often(I mean I don't like every decks are "limited")

So I think there only vintage decks are really "limited"
Otherwise  limited decks printed recent year is created by merchant  8)

Well
Card collection is running to a weird situation :(
So I didn't collect every decks now
And some time I won't buy some "limited" decks many

Sigh… :mindf-ck:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:33:09 PM by labyrinth »

« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Too funny!

You do realize that it didn't say they only made 2,500 decks, right?  That they only RELEASED 2500 decks?  That there's probably a fair amount more, but we don't know how much since they haven't told us?

I doubt they planned to release it the way they did, but when it became clear that the secret just couldn't be kept, they felt it better to open up the release rather than leave customers frustrated.

« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2012, 05:57:07 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

Yes Don, I am aware of that mainly because USPCC minimum printing requisits. As far as I know and read (and I may be obviously wrong) the minimum is 5000 decks.
What I believe is that big companies can announce the numbers they want just to keep the collectors happy with their purchase. Really, what is stopping them to do that?
On the other hand, I think the problem is not a lower number of collectors. I think it's the huge number of releases. I can't buy them all so I have to choose the decks I want. And in that case, the marketing strategie of Ellusionist failed: people really didn't choose the Sultan Treasury.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:57:38 AM by ruicorreia »
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2012, 06:30:13 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Ellusionist haven't advertised the release of this deck on their website, only their facebook page, which may suggest why it hasn't sold out yet. However, I am sure more will come around during the Black Friday or whatever it's called sales  ???
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2012, 07:20:27 AM »

thanamagic

• MW

• YouTube:

Yes Don, I am aware of that mainly because USPCC minimum printing requisits. As far as I know and read (and I may be obviously wrong) the minimum is 5000 decks.
What I believe is that big companies can announce the numbers they want just to keep the collectors happy with their purchase. Really, what is stopping them to do that?
On the other hand, I think the problem is not a lower number of collectors. I think it's the huge number of releases. I can't buy them all so I have to choose the decks I want. And in that case, the marketing strategie of Ellusionist failed: people really didn't choose the Sultan Treasury.

Ellusionist sold 2500 decks to the people who have found the secrect link first and not releaseing anyinfo on it. the release now is the other 2500 deck. i do agree that there are too many releases now days i cant buy them all  ???

« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »

thanamagic

• MW

• YouTube:
i really dont want to double post and i wont do it again but who ever didnt get the treasury deck yet ellusionist is saying get it now 1000 decks left for sale, i think if they have anymore it will be fore promotions this is the email i got, im sure you guys did too

''The Sultan Treasury has been plundered with less than 1000 of these decks currently remaining for sale. Those who deciphered the mystery of the Sultan Republic deck were the first to find it. Our Facebook followers have now had over 12 hours notice as well. Constrained to just 2 decks per person, if you haven't yet got yours; now's your chance.'' -Ellusionist

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:28:20 AM by thanamagic »

« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

First of all, USPC dropped the minimum to 2,500 - and has been known to make exceptions for big customers.

Second, there's less than a thousand left in this sale.  Fifteen hundred decks in this short a time is actually good these days.

Ellusionist haven't advertised the release of this deck on their website, only their facebook page, which may suggest why it hasn't sold out yet. However, I am sure more will come around during the Black Friday or whatever it's called sales  ???

I got an email ad for it from them.  It's ON SALE NOW.  Regarding Black Friday, anything's possible.

Ellusionist sold 2500 decks to the people who have found the secrect link first and not releaseing anyinfo on it. the release now is the other 2500 deck. i do agree that there are too many releases now days i cant buy them all  ???

Um, where did it say that?  They simply said they were releasing 2,500 in this sale, period - and that was while the sale was still an exclusive.  It may not be on their main sale pages on the site, but once you push out an email to the world, it's not that big a secret anymore.

Check this wording out from the current sale page:

This deck is a hybrid of the Sultan Republic and is LIMITED. At this stage, only 2500 will be released for sale to the public.
[/size]
[/size]"At this stage" means there will be at least one more stage to come.  So there's more than 2,500, but there's only 2,500 being released into the wild for now.[/size][/font]
[/font][/size][/font]
With them reducing the limit to only two decks per person, it doesn't surprise me that it would take longer to sell out.  The Red Artifice took maybe a half-day with server crashes, but that was limited to up to a brick per person.  Not everyone bought a brick, I'm sure, but a large number certainly did.[/font][/size][/font]

« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

First of all, USPC dropped the minimum to 2,500 - and has been known to make exceptions for big customers.

Second, there's less than a thousand left in this sale.  Fifteen hundred decks in this short a time is actually good these days.

Thank you Don for the info about USPCC. Clearly I was not updated.
But the real question is: what keeps big companies from announcing a number - like 2500 decks - and selling 5000 or more decks?
That's why I like numbered decks. On those cases I know what I am buying.
On other cases it's difficult to be sure mainly because what Encarded already appointed in this thread: the marketing of big companies is deceiving, is not clear.

(Sorry for any english mistakes  - I hope you get the ideia)
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thank you Don for the info about USPCC. Clearly I was not updated.
But the real question is: what keeps big companies from announcing a number - like 2500 decks - and selling 5000 or more decks?
That's why I like numbered decks. On those cases I know what I am buying.
On other cases it's difficult to be sure mainly because what Encarded already appointed in this thread: the marketing of big companies is deceiving, is not clear.

(Sorry for any english mistakes  - I hope you get the ideia)

It's not really in their best interests in the long run to get caught.  It would destroy the company's reputation.  It's not to say it never happens, but I'd say it happens with "wiggle room" numbers.

By that, I'm referring to the fact that a USPC print run can end up +/-10% the run size contracted for.  This is a standard clause in their custom deck contracts.  If it's over, you pay for the extra; if it's short, you get refunded the difference for decks not printed.  The odds of any print run being precisely any given number are practically impossible.  But then again, most companies do also account for keeping a reserve of decks.

The reserve is used for premium giveaways, company gifts, replacements for damaged or misprinted decks, etc., and this number is usually not counted in the advertised totals because they're not an actual part of the release other than in cases where the deck is only given out as a premium release, like Gold Arcane and LTD.

It's one of the reasons why there's no actual figure for how many White Centurions were created - it appears that T11 ordered a thousand, but it's known that the print run went over by an unknown amount within the contracted "buffer margin", leaving the actual number of decks made between 1,000 and 1,100.  They either kept inaccurate records of how many they received or were disinclined to release the actual figure.  Regardless, they're all gone as of last year anyway - they gave away the remainder of the reserve during a Black Friday promotion.

« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Thank you for your explanation!
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2012, 06:26:44 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular

I emailed E about this (I live in UK) and I asked why there was a sudden decrease, and whether I could get a refund - they said they'd refund me the difference :D

I hope I have helped :P
Love is magic

« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
as far as the deck still being in stock, you'd figure it would have sold out by now given the past history of limited ellusionist decks, but I think there are a few good reasons why it hasn't. One is that they did release the link on their facebook page, but the deck is still hidden on the site. Anyone who didn't see the facebook posting or see it from a 3rd party site isn't going to know about it. Granted, they have over 100k likes on their facebook page, but I highly doubt anything but a small amount of those people are really concerned with hardcore collecting to the extent that a lot of people here are (me included). A lot of E's consumer base is concerned with magic first and foremost, which I guess could be considered reason #2.

Another reason is that E has severely limited the amount anyone can buy in one order. Other decks may have collectors getting bricks of these, and resellers buying multiple bricks which would have the deck running out significantly quicker than it is right now. I actually like the way E is limiting orders because not limiting the deck really only hurts collecters and benefits resellers who are looking to make a profit off the deck (although that didn't stop people in this case given the whole secret thing). I think we would've seen this deck sell out very quickly if it weren't for these factors, or at least way quicker than it already has.

« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I have to make a important not in favor of Ellusionist: they've refund me part of the excessive price for shipping. It's good to see that. Very well Ellusionist.
Enthusiast collector