Holiday Sale Unboxing Video

Author (Read 1599 times)

Holiday Sale Unboxing Video
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
http://youtu.be/dxUSQueK0zc

Here's the video, if anyone's interested.  Questions?

Re: Holiday Sale Unboxing Video
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:12:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
http://youtu.be/dxUSQueK0zc

Here's the video, if anyone's interested.  Questions?

I loved the splash screen you ended with!  As much as there are some great card decks out there created as promotional materials, I don't collect any decks associated with tobacco or alcohol.  It's just not me, it's not what I want to be involved with - call it a personal moral qualm.  It's why I passed on the JAQK deck, despite the beautiful appearance, and why I never got the RJRTC Bees, the Absolut deck, the Virgina Slims deck, etc.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:42:31 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Well, I love smokin' and drinkin' so I love the decks associated with them.  Tobacco advertising is always kinda weird, though.  I grew up watching videos of old 'Hamlet' commercials because my Grandfather (who died when I was 7; non-smoker, had a thing for salt) had a VHS tape of them all.  There were still billboard adverts etc. when I was growing up.  They're pretty funny, actually.  I just always feel it's funny seeing tobacco adverts generally, like one of the characters should stop and say 'You know this kills you, right?  What are you talking about?!'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzM1iPYnxfU

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:36 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Haha those videos! Some are simply ridiculous. Pretty funny stuff though.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:43:05 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Those are some pretty funny ads, and while not really convincing, they must have been successful in making people think of their brand. ::)

@Sabacc, I'm kind of in the same thinking for smoking-related decks, but I still have some interest in trying the vslims because of all the talk about their handling. As for alcohol-related ones... While the choice of not drinking is respectable, wine itself isn't a bad thing so much as its abuse. I don't see anything wrong with promoting it so long as you're not promoting the act of getting drunk, which is a completely different thing. ;)
I have never been drunk even once in my 19 years and don't intend to anytime soon, but I do quite like the occasional vodka-based drink at parties and such(though I dislike the taste of both wine and beer in general.)

And before you ask, the legal age here is 18, not 21. ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:44:15 AM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:24:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well, I love smokin' and drinkin' so I love the decks associated with them.  Tobacco advertising is always kinda weird, though.  I grew up watching videos of old 'Hamlet' commercials because my Grandfather (who died when I was 7; non-smoker, had a thing for salt) had a VHS tape of them all.  There were still billboard adverts etc. when I was growing up.  They're pretty funny, actually.  I just always feel it's funny seeing tobacco adverts generally, like one of the characters should stop and say 'You know this kills you, right?  What are you talking about?!'.

Those were kind of funny - though I didn't hear them, just saw them.  The PC @ work has no speakers.

Advertising for tobacco died quickly here.  TV ads for cigarettes and hard alcohol products were gone either before I was born or while I was too young to remember (1960s or early '70s).  Cigar TV ads were gone by sometime in the mid-'80s.  We still have beer and wine ads on TV, but Federal regulations stipulate that no one can be seen actually consuming the beverages on-screen.  Tobacco billboard advertising was pulled at some point in the 1990s, as well as magazine ads - it was a chain reaction, starting with the "Joe Camel" cartoon character, which led to no cartoon mascots, then culminated in the leaked documents showing how tobacco companies knew the deadliness of their products and not only continued to push them but were illegally aiming their advertising at children in order to get them addicted before they were old enough to have a sense of their own mortality.  Hard liquor ads have returned, but only on cable television, not broadcast - the regulations are different when the broadcasters are using private sat-links and privately-owned wires instead of the public airwaves to transmit programming, because you have to pay to have cable TV delivered to your home, thus you have the right to refuse by canceling your service.

Those are some pretty funny ads, and while not really convincing, they must have been successful in making people think of their brand. ::)

@Sabacc, I'm kind of in the same thinking for smoking-related decks, but I still have some interest in trying the vslims because of all the talk about their handling. As for alcohol-related ones... While the choice of not drinking is respectable, wine itself isn't a bad thing so much as its abuse. I don't see anything wrong with promoting it so long as you're not promoting the act of getting drunk, which is a completely different thing. ;)
I have never been drunk even once in my 19 years and don't intend to anytime soon, but I do quite like the occasional vodka-based drink at parties and such(though I dislike the taste of both wine and beer in general.)

And before you ask, the legal age here is 18, not 21. ::)

I'll be frank - the moral position I took stemmed not just from within, but from without; from living in a family that has a history of alcohol abuse and has had many deaths or serious operations as a result of cigarette-induced cancers.

My father had lung cancer in the early '90s, which he fought off by rounds of chemo and the removal of half of his lung capacity.  He managed to quit smoking for about a month before returning to it.  I tried getting him to stop by giving him patches and nicotine gum, but he never used them correctly and gave up on them, willfully.  He lived for a little over a decade after that, eventually contracting first type II diabetes (which he never adequately treated), then pancreatic cancer - which, incidentally, has a survival rate of <5%, and then only if detected early, which his wasn't.

The man was a crochety pain in the ass, emotionally abusive, and his last words to be before dying were, "Get the f*** out of here."  But he was my father, and I still miss him.  He might have still been here if advertising and cultural attitudes were different in his youth.

My mother and brother were both diagnosed as bipolar, which led them to abuse alcohol, painkillers and illegal drugs.  My mother chose to take control of the situation by canceling all her pain med prescriptions and getting treatment, while my brother is a wanted fugitive believed to have fled the country, possibly moving to his wife's former home country.  She was Chinese, but lived her life in Singapore before moving to America.

His crimes aren't terribly serious, but they were both long-term unemployed, with him practically being unemployable due to his untreated disorder - he refuses treatment, despite having a few episodes resulting in hospitalization and even arrest.  He was planning to move to Singapore because he believed that it would be easier to make a living there.

I've had issues myself dealing with depression, and some binge-drinking related to it, but I'm on the other side of it now.  My depression is well in check, and I quit drinking even before I was forced to due to having to take blood thinners to treat a genetic clotting disorder that runs rampant on my mother's side of the family.  I'm in better physical condition and happier now than at any point previous aside from my youngest childhood years, for which I can thank therapy, aikido, Zen and my loving, understanding, accepting fiancee, Anya.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:10:06 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Man, you just get more and interesting, Don.  For better or worse, it's quite a life you've led and you should always be proud of the person you've become.  It couldn't have been easy.

Personally, I'm not a very heavy drinker (other than in the literal sense of weight, 5"11 and 200lbs is a bit over what I should be).  In saying that, it is embedded in our culture.  We usually settle debts in pints.  I only do it socially but I have to admit, there are times when I just want to get blind drunk and I can be pretty obnoxious when I've been drinking, I think. 
Maybe there is a mental connection there but frankly, I think everybody in this country has mental issues and if a completely sane person turns up some day it'll ruin everything.    That seems to be the vibe I get around here, anyway. 

As for smoking; I know I shouldn't, particularly with the familial history of heart disease (every male on my father's side died in their 60s of a heart attack as far back as we can trace; almost all surviving males over 40 have had heart attacks).  Yes, it's very bad for you and you will probably lead to an untimely and unpleasant death but I just really enjoy it.  It makes waiting for a bus a pleasant experience and I'm just not ready to give it up yet.  I think at some stage reality will set in and I'll have to give it up, like weaning a baby. 

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Man, you just get more and interesting, Don.  For better or worse, it's quite a life you've led and you should always be proud of the person you've become.  It couldn't have been easy.

Personally, I'm not a very heavy drinker (other than in the literal sense of weight, 5"11 and 200lbs is a bit over what I should be).  In saying that, it is embedded in our culture.  We usually settle debts in pints.  I only do it socially but I have to admit, there are times when I just want to get blind drunk and I can be pretty obnoxious when I've been drinking, I think. 
Maybe there is a mental connection there but frankly, I think everybody in this country has mental issues and if a completely sane person turns up some day it'll ruin everything.    That seems to be the vibe I get around here, anyway. 

As for smoking; I know I shouldn't, particularly with the familial history of heart disease (every male on my father's side died in their 60s of a heart attack as far back as we can trace; almost all surviving males over 40 have had heart attacks).  Yes, it's very bad for you and you will probably lead to an untimely and unpleasant death but I just really enjoy it.  It makes waiting for a bus a pleasant experience and I'm just not ready to give it up yet.  I think at some stage reality will set in and I'll have to give it up, like weaning a baby.

And I haven't even touched upon my divorce process!  I'll give you the short version by saying my separation began with my ex-wife getting arrested for assaulting me...

But in the end, yes, I'm better off now, and the experiences of my past led me to being the person I am now.  If I'd left any of them out, perhaps I wouldn't be the same man I've become.

I'm familiar with the culture of which you speak - Ireland is my ex-wife's parents' birthplace, and we visited the year the World Cup was held in America.  I actually spent the American Independence Day, July 4th, sitting in her aunt's B&B in Dublin watching the US lose to Ireland on TV!  It's not easy to break out of, I'm sure - every door I walked through on that visit, someone was handing me an alcohol drink, usually spirits.

Another motivator that got me to quit was the weight I lost when I stopped.  I was a type-II diabetic many years earlier than I should have been, and getting into a regimen of fitness made a huge difference.  I've been considered non-diabetic for nearly six years now, strictly using diet and exercise - no more meds.  You don't want to end up there later in life, when the struggle to lose the extra pounds is all that more difficult.

Regarding smoking - believe me when I tell you, the sooner you quit, the better.  If doing it for your health is a lack of motivation, consider the impact you'll have on the people around you when you're gone.  Remember how you felt when those who died from smoking before you passed away, and ask yourself if you want those who care for you to go through the same thing due to your own premature passing.  Smoking is the world's most preventable cause of death.  If willpower doesn't work, talk to a doctor - there are prescription meds that actually kill off the craving for nicotine, making the job a lot simpler.

And remember - *I* would miss you, bro!  :))

Don

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
You know, I never really look at anything that way.  I really struggle to think about loved ones' impressions or feelings towards me.  Just throw up a big mental block around any thoughts regarding it, probably makes me seem quite cold and distant.  I don't think I've ever told anyone I loved them in... I dunno.  Could be 20 years.  I don't think I've really ever understood love, at least not how it's described in the songs.  I mainly think of it in terms of violence; if someone hurt you, I'd have to kill them.  That's pretty much my understanding of love.  I guess I'd be less frivolous about my own mortality otherwise, probably.  Maybe I just need to date more :)

I could make the switch to wine, have a bottle with friends every now and then.  Trickier in pubs; I can still get a pint of real ale for £1.60, wine's gonna be £10-£20.  Might help keep the weight down.  I don't really drink that often but if I'm ever socializing with people, I'll usually be drinking and very occasionally, I'd drink to excess usually to forgot some bothersome woe or other. 

Smoking isn't even social; barely any of my friends smoke.  The one who does quits every other month or so.  I just find it really relaxing and enjoyable.  Takes about 5-6 years off the end of your life but with a medical history like that, I could probably do with the time.  Before he died, my grandfather used to say that it was great being part of this family because you'd never have to suffer the indignity of someone having to help you go to the toilet (he used more... descriptive language).  He kinda has a point.  I think I will quit, sooner rather than later.  It's always something that seems to get put off, just for another little while...

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Break those Slims in for best results. The more I use mine, the better they get. Thanks for shooting the video. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You know, I never really look at anything that way.  I really struggle to think about loved ones' impressions or feelings towards me.  Just throw up a big mental block around any thoughts regarding it, probably makes me seem quite cold and distant.  I don't think I've ever told anyone I loved them in... I dunno.  Could be 20 years.  I don't think I've really ever understood love, at least not how it's described in the songs.  I mainly think of it in terms of violence; if someone hurt you, I'd have to kill them.  That's pretty much my understanding of love.  I guess I'd be less frivolous about my own mortality otherwise, probably.  Maybe I just need to date more :)

I could make the switch to wine, have a bottle with friends every now and then.  Trickier in pubs; I can still get a pint of real ale for £1.60, wine's gonna be £10-£20.  Might help keep the weight down.  I don't really drink that often but if I'm ever socializing with people, I'll usually be drinking and very occasionally, I'd drink to excess usually to forgot some bothersome woe or other. 

Smoking isn't even social; barely any of my friends smoke.  The one who does quits every other month or so.  I just find it really relaxing and enjoyable.  Takes about 5-6 years off the end of your life but with a medical history like that, I could probably do with the time.  Before he died, my grandfather used to say that it was great being part of this family because you'd never have to suffer the indignity of someone having to help you go to the toilet (he used more... descriptive language).  He kinda has a point.  I think I will quit, sooner rather than later.  It's always something that seems to get put off, just for another little while...

Try drinking a few more limey bastards - my own recipe: half lime juice and half club soda!  When I did drink, I invented them when I had to take antibiotics and couldn't mix with alcohol.  Intersperse them in between beers, and you will notice a difference in your overall health.

You can choose how to live your life, and it doesn't have to involve being helped to the bathroom.  There's a guy in my dojo at least twenty years older than me - retired but practices nearly every day.  He ain't kickin' the bucket anytime soon, and need no help using the loo!

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:19:46 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Break those Slims in for best results. The more I use mine, the better they get. Thanks for shooting the video. :)

No worries, thanks for the cards.  Those babies are going to get some use, trust me.  They're awesome.